Pelicans Report

Page 19 of 58 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29 ... LastLast

Thread: [Official - trade complete] Hornets Trying to Land RFA Lopez from the Suns {merged}

My dream trade would be out of all the pieces presumed to be available and some I added:

Hornets: Robin Lopez & Wes Johnson
    Suns: Carl Landry & Xavier Henry
    T-Wolves: Brad Miller, Hakim Warrick, & Suns 2nd rounder

Depth Chart:

C: Davis / Lopez
    PF: Anderson / Smith / Thomas
    SF: Aminu / Miller
    SG: Gordon / Johnson / Dyson
    PG: Rivers / Vasquez

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Thats Monty saying young centers are calling him. Thats not Monty referring to Davis as a center for his team. He has no control on who calls Anthony Davis on his free time.
    I think he's referring to the representative of Team USA "calling upon" Davis over other candidates who play "center".

That's how I read it.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Robin Lopez does not seem like the kind of addition that is going to take the team to the next level. Not excited about it, but if he can be had for a cheap deal then it would fill a need. It seems like we desperately need a C, but then again we could have picked up a guy like Brandt or Stiemsma on the cheap and didn't, so the team must know what they are doing.

Truthfully I do see Davis as a center. The player he most reminds me of is Hakeem Olajuwon. Not that he is as skilled as Olajuwon of course, but right now he's a raw version of Hakeem; extremely fluid for his size, great shot blocking instincts. He needs to add weight no question, but he has the frame to bulk up. Howard and Bynum would give Davis trouble at his current size, but there aren't a whole lot of huge centers in the league anymore.

It could also mean that instead of calling on those centers, they called Davis because they think Davis is that good even though he's not a center. I don't really know in what context Monty meant but it's a possibility that he meant it this way.

ETA: I just saw your post #452. Looks like you're taking it in the same context I did.

Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP View Post

Do you really think Monty will start a guy like Jason Smith over Ryan Anderson? What purpose does that serve exactly? It's going to be the same outcome either way, which is Anderson and Davis covering the 4/5 together.
    I'm saying I don't know either way....and you don't either....you making guarantees that both Anderson & Davis will be our starting front court on opening night is doing nothing but setting yourself up to be flamed by a lot of people on this board if you're wrong...these guys haven't even met each other yet let alone practiced....and IMHO its about winning I give 2 ***** who starts or not regardless of what they get paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Coughka View Post
    I think he's referring to the representative of Team USA "calling upon" Davis over other candidates who play "center".

That's how I read it.
    I read it the same way.

And I think we are viewing this similarly. I didn't ask the question that generated the comment from Monty, nor would I.

I think how we play will will evolve as Davis does and will depend on matchups. It seems like you see it that way, too.

For what it's worth, I'm more than happy to give Lopez a chance to start while Davis gets his legs under him, if necessary, or just rest him if he still lhas some issues, or anything in between. Cheap 7ft'er. 24 for most of next season. First round pick. Fits the profile. Good pieces on good contracts is a nice way to come out of this offseason, even if they don't fit. We have an artificially low cap thanks to Lewis, so why not just play around and see what works this season so we can really strike next season when we have more room?

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss_318 View Post
    I'm saying I don't know either way....and you don't either....you making guarantees that both Anderson & Davis will be our starting front court on opening night is doing nothing but setting yourself up to be flamed by a lot of people on this board if you're wrong...these guys haven't even met each other yet let alone practiced....and IMHO its about winning I give 2 ***** who starts or not regardless of what they get paid.
    And Anderson and Davis give you that.

Not Davis and Lopez. Or Davis and Smith. Or any other crazy combination you guys come up with.

Not once have I said it's guaranteed, but I am 100% sure that a lineup of Anderson and Davis is far more likely than any of the lineups you guys are throwing out there. It puts your best two bigs on the court, one that will end up playing a ton of center in his career anyway. People act like every team has a dominate big man in Dwight and Bynum. How many other bigs would you legitimacy be concerned over? You likely could not name many, but for the few you can name you can probably name a PF that's just as big and physical. Again, it's irrelevant.
    Last edited by AD23forMVP; 07-24-2012 at 10:27 PM.

From what I have seen of Warrick I cant see him playing the backup sf. This trade will do what its supposed to do and that is provide frontcourt depth. I like Lopez as a backup 4 or 5 will give a solid 10 - 15 minutes off the bench of hustle.

Wes Johnson has been terrible so far in the league.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster View Post
    If they were willing to give him $7 million they wouldn't have to bother with S&T because there is no way the Suns would match that. I doubt they would even match $4 million, quite frankly.
    This is a good point.

I like this signing for depth, but I sure hope that he improves on a number of areas most of which include his shot selection. That sling-hook is a thing of horror. But backing up Davis/Smith at C I like it. Hope it's 3-5 mil and not 6-7.

That being said, MAN our team is young.
    Wherehappens.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    Wes Johnson has been terrible so far in the league.
    I am going to start taking count of how many players you think are terrible. I'll just count this one as 10 to make up.

Davis is the top pick in the draft and Anderson is a borderline All-Star with a big contract. Neither are coming off the bench. I guarantee it now.

Davis is the top pick in the draft and Anderson is a borderline All-Star with a big contract. Neither are coming off the bench. I guarantee it now.
    And it's not like we traded for his contract. We gave him that on our own.

If we had any intentions of him coming off the bench, we wouldn't have given him eight or eight and a half.

I mean man, it isn't rocket science. People either can't really grasp the concept, or are just over thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    I am going to start taking count of how mnay players you think are terrible. I'll just count this one as 10 to make up.
    If its a fact. A lot of below average players in this league. He happens to be one of them.

And it's not like we traded for his contract. We gave him that on our own.

If we had any intentions of him coming off the bench, we wouldn't have given him eight or eight and a half.

I mean man, it isn't rocket science. People either can't really grasp the concept, or are just over thinking.
    It's neither. They're just idiots.

And Anderson and Davis give you that.

Not Davis and Lopez. Or Davis and Smith. Or any other crazy combination you guys come up with.

I haven't once said it's guaranteed, but I'm 100% sure it's a whole lot more likely then any of the lineups that you guys are throwing out.
    I personally haven't thrown any lineups out....cuz I haven't even seen these guys play together yet. But I guess I just like to see with my own eyes what they look like on the floor as a team and in different situations before I make any suggestions........I personally think the NBA has changed to the point where whoever "starts" is irrelevant....its what the best lineup is for that particular opponent....

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    As it should be. I love Smith/Lopez off the bench. Not a bad rotation honestly.

Nobody is going to bring up the good players in the league, because those are the guys that are extremely difficult to get, and probably won't get.

We lucked out and found the perfect (or whatever the opposite is in terms of Orlando) for Anderson.

Ugh... We should have just signed diop (sarcasm). I hope we arent taking on warrick... Lopez is good for 4-5 mil a year- NOMORE!!!!!

I personally haven't thrown any lineups out....cuz I haven't even seen these guys play together yet. But I guess I just like to see with my own eyes what they look like on the floor as a team and in different situations before I make any suggestions........I personally think the NBA has changed to the point where whoever "starts" is irrelevant....its what the best lineup is for that particular opponent....
    How often do teams change their starting lineup to reflect their opponent?

Rarely? Is there anything below rarely? You play to your strengths.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Nobody is going to bring up the good players in the league, because those are the guys that are extremely difficult to get, and probably won't get.

We lucked out and found the perfect (or whatever the opposite is in terms of Orlando) for Anderson.
    Lightning in a bottle, really. Just what we needed. Best we can hope for is to turn a Jason Smith like situation out of Lopez or whoever else we get.

Whatever yo....you got your opinion i got mine...

Very rarely?

And stop calling each other idiots... its childish. None of us honestly know who is starting where. When denzel Bowels becomes our starting center opening day who will be the idiot then?

Very rarely?
    I mean something with the word rarely not even involved...

Thread Information