Pelicans Report

Page 18 of 58 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 ... LastLast

Thread: [Official - trade complete] Hornets Trying to Land RFA Lopez from the Suns {merged}

Quote Originally Posted by sfernald View Post
    The nice thing is is that Robin is the big body that can defend those guys now. AD doesn't have to take the pounding.
    Exactly....wasn't that what everyone here was crying about anyway? I mean people were throwing out Blatche, Hollins, and Whiteside as options....be thankful Dell was smart enough to try to make a deal for a young already decent center instead of garbage....let that man do his job and quit cryin LOL.

Working the cap numbers, it seems the most we can take back is $6,025,363. This is a cap on Lopez's salary if he is all we take back. This makes is highly likely that the original reports of Warrick coming here are either wrong or indicative of a very favorable deal for Lopez. I think the former.

We could also sign him to a mini-Collison kind of deal to sweeten things for him, using cap space to give a signing bonus and keep his cap number low.

I haven't looked at the Suns' salary situation yet, but they have his bird rights, so they can sign him to any sized deal they like, but their situation could mess with a signing-bonus kind of deal.

Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP View Post
    I watched the summer league via broadband and never do I recall him saying any of that in his interviews.
    I dont recall Monty ever referring to Davis as a center either. Only some fans trying to read too much into his comments. Eric Gordon directly said Davis is not a center.

If anything, Smith will start at center with Lopez backing him up, or vice-versa. It's not who starts, it's who gets the most minutes. It's all about setting a tone then getting into a rythym.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster View Post
    If they were willing to give him $7 million they wouldn't have to bother with S&T because there is no way the Suns would match that. I doubt they would even match $4 million, quite frankly.
    I agree with this. We can also turn the Miller contract in to `live' salary this way, as opposed to waiving the nonguaranteed portion and signing the guy outright.

Jack's expiring for Lopez (and maybe some seconds and cash) on what deal makes this a double? Homerun? Homerun and pie?

This Davis is a C no he is a PF is much ado about nothing. Just be happy that we will have a solid 4 man big rotation and in his first year Davis will not have too much pressure nor will he get run into the ground when he hits the rookie wall. We should know by now Monty doesn't do traditional line-ups. If smith, Anderson, Davis, Lopez, Gordon is the best matchup for an opponent that is what we will play. If result is a win who cares how minutes are divied

Monty said flat out that he's too small to be an effective center today.

Argue about the future or if he way lying, but those were his words, his lips to my ears at the post-draft press conference.

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    Monty said flat out that he's too small to be an effective center today.

Argue about the future or if he way lying, but those were his words, his lips to my ears at the post-draft press conference.
    How does the today of the post-draft press conference translate to the today of the regular season.

So we have no starting C..... that is amazing
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

I hope we land him.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-of-sideshow-bob.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	4185

Quote Originally Posted by Coughka View Post
    How does the today of the post-draft press conference translate to the today of the regular season.
    I think in a 5 month gap kind of way. It's thin, I know, based only on the nearly constant flow of time, the authority and expertise of the head coach, and biology, but it's all I got.

I think in a 5 month gap kind of way. It's thin, I know, based only on the nearly constant flow of time, the authority and expertise of the head coach, and biology, but it's all I got.
    I guess my point is that what he said draft night about Davis' size doesn't really have much bearing on what Davis will be doing this upcoming season, particularly since Monty has referred to Davis as a 5 when discussing his place on Team USA.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    So we draft a franchise changer in Davis who is a PF, then give 8 million a year to a 24 year old PF.

Don't put position labels on it if you want, but Anderson and Davis will be our starting frontcourt opening night. We didn't give Anderson all that money to start the game on the bench and put a worse player against the opponents best players. Teams like OKC and SA can afford to do that, we can't.
    Last edited by AD23forMVP; 07-24-2012 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phrazbit View Post
    Suns fan here.

Maybe you guys can salvage something of Lopez, about once or twice a year he has a game that makes you think he has potential but then he vanishes for several months. He has some of the worst hands in the league, even for a big. Not a good rebounder, frequently gets lost in defense but does show flashes. He is decent at protecting the rim though. A serviceable player but absolutely not someone you'd want to start. Probably should be about the 3rd guy off the bench. Supposedly wanted 7 mil a year, if you guys got him at that rate then I am terribly sorry. 3-4 mil on a 2 or 3 year contract is probably what he is worth.
    Difference is, our coaching staff has quickly developed a knack of turning young chicken !@#@ into chicken salad, especially bigs. Our head coach was an NBA big himself and seems to get the most out of post players.

Have the Suns decently developed any of their recent draft picks or anyone on their roster lately?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMackBee View Post
    Bleacher Report isn't trusted.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMackBee View Post
    You are mad late bro LOL....plus all the details aren't in as its not final yet

Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP View Post
    So we draft a franchise changer in Davis who is a PF, then give 8 million a year to a 24 year old PF.

Don't put position labels on it if you want, but Anderson and Davis will be our starting frontcourt opening night. We didn't give Anderson all that money to start the game on the bench and put a worse player against the opponents best players. Teams like OKC and SA can afford to do that, we can't.
    Ok coach Monty...

I guess my point is that what he said draft night about Davis' size doesn't really have much bearing on what Davis will be doing this upcoming season, particularly since Monty has referred to Davis as a 5 when discussing his place on Team USA.
    What was the exact quote, and even if he did, how does garbage minutes in 6 or 7 games in the olympics compare to an 82 game NBA season?

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_318 View Post
    Ok coach Monty...
    lol I know right!

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss_318 View Post
    Ok coach Monty...

Do you really think Monty will start a guy like Jason Smith over Ryan Anderson? What purpose does that serve exactly? It's going to be the same outcome either way, which is Anderson and Davis covering the 4/5 together.

Like I said, don't put positions on it if it makes you feel better. Whether you want to refer to Davis as a four or a five, is largely irrelevent, Ryan Anderson and Anthony Davis will start and finish games next to each other.
    Last edited by AD23forMVP; 07-24-2012 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    What was the exact quote, and even if he did, how does garbage minutes in 6 or 7 games in the olympics compare to an 82 game NBA season?
    http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss...l#incart_river

“He’s working hard. We’ve got (strength coach Carlos Daniel) out there with him, and Carlos is going to spend the summer with him to get him stronger, quicker and ready to play. He’s going to get better either way. I’ve heard all the stuff; Dell (Demps) and I talked today, but there’s no official ruling yet until we hear something about Blake. Either way, I think for Anthony it’s a great honor to be thought of in that way. There’s some great young centers around the league who are pretty good, and they’re calling on him. That should tell people just how good he is

You were serious? I would not have given a silly answer if I read it that way. Apologies.

Team USA is a different game against a different pool of players. Monty said it would be only in specific situations where he was the biggest guy on the floor for us. Could things change, yes, but this is what he said about the NBA.

Time will tell, and we should take all data into account appropriately. I'm not dismissing the statement you are referring to; I just see it as less relevant even though it is more recent by a couple of weeks.

I think of him like Duncan, or pre-Duncan. What is he?

I think positions matter not-too-much. They are simplifying contructs and that's about it from where I sit.

Thats Monty saying young centers are calling him. Thats not Monty referring to Davis as a center for his team. He has no control on who calls Anthony Davis on his free time.

...and didn't Colangelo say Davis wasnt their initial choice because they thought he was too light for international competition in the paint?
    Last edited by luckyman; 07-24-2012 at 10:19 PM.

You were serious? I would not have given a silly answer if I read it that way. Apologies.

Team USA is a different game against a different pool of players. Monty said it would be only in specific situations where he was the biggest guy on the floor for us. Could things change, yes, but this is what he said about the NBA.

Time will tell, and we should take all data into account appropriately. I'm not dismissing the statement you are referring to; I just see it as less relevant even though it is more recent by a couple of weeks.

I think of him like Duncan, or pre-Duncan. What is he?

I think positions matter not-too-much. They are simplifying contructs and that's about it from where I sit.
    Positions are largely irrelevant; but they are a way of quantifying certain pairings, so when people here say that a theoretical Robin Lopez would HAVE to start at the 5 because Davis is a 4, I just wanted to illustrate that a definite comment on concrete position (like Monty's post-draft comment) aren't actually concrete (his more recent statement).

It was more of a response to people here who are hellbent on categorizing Davis as solely a 4, or forcing players in the lineup because of their relative "positions".

If we do get Warrick as part of a deal as reported, do you think he has the skills to be a scoring backup SF to Aminu? I believe if anything, that is the best spot for Warrick to contribute. We really have no dependable backup veteran wing players.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 07-24-2012 at 10:22 PM.

Thread Information