Pelicans Report

Page 27 of 58 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 37 ... LastLast

Thread: [Official - trade complete] Hornets Trying to Land RFA Lopez from the Suns {merged}

why do suns get a 1st they are giving up 2 deadbeat players...

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster View Post
    Duration is fine with me. The good part is all of these contracts: Anderson, Lopez, and Gordon will be off the books when Davis and Rivers' first deals are expiring so everything can be reevaluated then. Ideally I'd prefer $4 million because I honestly don't think the Suns would match $5 million/year.
    I agree 100% with your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster View Post
    Duration is fine with me. The good part is all of these contracts: Anderson, Lopez, and Gordon will be off the books when Davis and Rivers' first deals are expiring so everything can be reevaluated then. Ideally I'd prefer $4 million because I honestly don't think the Suns would match $5 million/year.
    All depends on if you think the $4m expiring is an asset. Jack's $5m was more useful since we were under the cap when started this whole mess, but perhaps the $4m expiring is worth something, or it acts like a `fee' for getting Lopez, raising his salary beyond what you are happy with, but in a year where we already have $13.5mish million in dead salary.

Jack turned into another expiring and Lopex on that deal, perhaps with some second round picks shuffling, and I supposed the loss of Dyson, is pretty good, really.

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    All depends on if you think the $4m expiring is an asset. Jack's $5m was more useful since we were under the cap when started this whole mess, but perhaps the $4m expiring is worth something, or it acts like a `fee' for getting Lopez, raising his salary beyond what you are happy with, but in a year where we already have $13.5mish million in dead salary.

Jack turned into another expiring and Lopex on that deal, perhaps with some second round picks shuffling, and I supposed the loss of Dyson, is pretty good, really.
    not really...lopez isnt the defensive banger we needed on this team..he is awful defensively...opposing centers put up a 19 PER against him the past couple of yrs...ideally, asik would be perfect for this team but he got overpaid...big men tend to get overpaid so it is blah to me

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Well, I'm not arguing the expiring couldn't be seen as an asset it's just that it's really of no relevance to the Suns how much the Hornets pay Lopez (is it?) so I'd definitely prefer a three year $13 million or so.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

Quote Originally Posted by CP4MVP View Post
    not really...lopez isnt the defensive banger we needed on this team..he is awful defensively...opposing centers put up a 19 PER against him the past couple of yrs...ideally, asik would be perfect for this team but he got overpaid...big men tend to get overpaid so it is blah to me
    For this contract, nonrookie, we did ok. And, it's not just him; it's him spending time with Davis or Anderson (he and Smith would be a disaster is most scenarios). Davis is good defensively and may help Lopez out, and Anderson's offense may help offset the issues on the other end. Then, Monty may be able to make a difference.

I think it's a decent risk, and the dude's contract should be movable if necessary.

Ideal? No. Pretty good for using only Jack's deal (basically), though.

It really all depends on him regaining the athleticism he lost due to injury.

In his rookie year, he was athletic enough to have serviceable offense and defense.

Post-injury, he has been MOLASSES on the blocks and the break.

I don't mind the risk at the price.

Exactly. You're not going to get the ideal player every time.

Quote Originally Posted by CP4MVP View Post
    Robin Lopez

Where Gortat is a bit small for a center, Robin Lopez is a true seven-footer with some meat on his bones. One would think that his size, strength and length would give him an edge over Gortat in post defense. However, the numbers show them to be almost equally effective. Lopez gives up 0.76 PPP and ranks 78th, both slightly better than Gortat. However, opponents convert at a higher rate against Lopez as his field goal percentage against is 43.5%. He makes up for this by forcing more turnovers (16.5 %TO), though, so his %Score is slightly better at 39.2%.

Lopez isn't as mobile as Gortat though and has more trouble closing out on shooters, as he gave up .96 PPP is spot-up situations with a %Score of 45.8%.

Lopez has seen limited defensive plays on other play types as his isolation and pick-and-roll roll man totals combined are only 45, but he did well on both, holding opponents' %Score to roughly 36%.

Overall, Lopez finished with a 0.81 PPP against and a rank of 127 which tied him with Gortat (albeit with a much smaller sample size). He only fouled a shooter 4.3% of the time, which is better than I would have thought. Opponents scored against him 39.9% of the time, which is slightly better than against Gortat.

Conclusion

As was the case on offense, the numbers point to Gortat and Lopez being a pretty good defensive duo. Both are plus defenders overall and each have their strengths. Gortat's mobility gives him an edge while closing out on shooters and defending the pick-and-roll, and he can hold his own in the post. Lopez's size is also an asset and having him means we don't have much of a drop-off defensively when Gortat takes a seat.

One interesting thing to note is how much more Gortat is used in the pick-and-roll versus the centers he plays against. I suppose that feeds into the thought that Gortat would be better at PF. But he's doing just fine at center for the Suns.

The Suns have a decision to make with Robin Lopez. His overall numbers are pretty good, especially for a back-up, and we've seen him play even better than his final numbers indicate. Having a seven-footer with some ability is nice, but how much is that advantage worth? We'll see this offseason.
    http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/20...alysis-defense

He isn't as bad as you make him seem. Probably a lot better than you thought. He was considered their best post defender along with Gortat. Phoenix traditionally isn't a good defensive team. On a good defensive team like the Hornets, I predict he'll flourish. I assume Demps is seeing the same things this blogger sees.

Banned
    WOW!!! so after going back-n-forth with Suns fans for the past 10 pages reports are they are getting a 1st?

Johnson/Miller/1st for Lopez/Warrick ?!?!?!?

Lopez cant jump worth crap. From what i have seen, he is a 7 footer, but squats down all the time and is never fully erect, so basicly he is playing like a 6'8 player.

Warrick is the guy that im real interested in. He cant defend, but boy can he DUNK!!! I cant wait to see him here in NO, i will be 1st in line to buy a Warrick jersey!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSisterFister View Post
    WOW!!! so after going back-n-forth with Suns fans for the past 10 pages reports are they are getting a 1st?

Lopez cant jump worth crap. From what i have seen, he is a 7 footer, but squats down all the time and is never fully erect, so basicly he is playing like a 6'8 player.

Warrick is the guy that im real interested in. He cant defend, but boy can he DUNK!!! I cant wait to see him here in NO, i will be 1st in line to buy a Warrick jersey!
    we all know that for a player to be good, he must be fully erect at all times

Robin was not considered that bad coming out of college. Some of you guys have even spoken very highly of a few of these guys drafted right behind Lopez. Lets hope if this trade goes down he can find the potential everyone saw back then.

with the 15th pick of the 2008 NBA draft............
    1 15 Lopez, Robin C United States Phoenix Suns (from Atlanta)[n] Stanford (So.)
    1 16 Speights, Marreese F United States Philadelphia 76ers Florida (So.)
    1 17 Hibbert, Roy C United States Toronto Raptors (traded to Indiana)[c] Georgetown (Sr.)
    1 18 McGee, JaVale C United States Washington Wizards Nevada (So.)
    1 19 Hickson, J. J. F United States Cleveland Cavaliers NC State (Fr.)
    1 20 Ajinça, Alexis C France Charlotte Bobcats (from Denver)[o] Hyères-Toulon (France) 1988
    1 21 Anderson, Ryan F United States New Jersey Nets (from Dallas) California {So}
    1 22 Lee, Courtney G United States Orlando Magic Western Kentucky (Sr.)
    1 23 Koufos, Kosta C Greeced Utah Jazz Ohio State (Fr.)
    1 24 Ibaka, Serge F Congoe Seattle SuperSonics (from Phoenix) L'Hospitalet (Spain) 1989
    1 25 Batum, Nicolas F France Houston Rockets (traded to Portland) Le Mans (France )

Not saying the Suns were right to pick Lopez over these guys, but with some fingers crossed and good coaching, who knows!
    Last edited by redrum; 07-25-2012 at 04:17 AM.
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by LilSisterFister View Post

Lay off the shoe polish.

Why dont we give em that other nev we got from the jarret jack trade lol?

Quote Originally Posted by bojangles837 View Post
    we all know that for a player to be good, he must be fully erect at all times
    I had to double take to see if I read that correctly lol

Thanks again to sfernald for discussing this aspect of the CBA. I was convinced we had no access to the TPE (even Coon didn't list it as an exception of ours), but clearly we do if this deal is done as reported. The numbers bear it out, too. I found it ambiguously written with respect to our situation, and still do (perhaps it is too obvious to state or I'm reading too much into it), but I appreciate your patience and efforts.

Hope the deal becomes official soon......

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by bustahyndes View Post
    why do suns get a 1st they are giving up 2 deadbeat players...
    So you think Lopez+Warrick for Johnson+Miller would be a good value for the Suns?

How will Anderson fit in all of this rotation now?

Quote Originally Posted by demiurg View Post
    So you think Lopez+Warrick for Johnson+Miller would be a good value for the Suns?
    Considering he's a restricted free agent and you've already called Warrick horrible, I would say it's about even.

Quote Originally Posted by QPon20 View Post
    Considering he's a restricted free agent and you've already called Warrick horrible, I would say it's about even.
    Wes Johnson is awful and Miller will probably never play another game. The Suns are getting a 1st for helping out Minnesota with cap space. Thats it. If the Suns were not getting a 1st then there would be no motivation to help out either New Orleans or Minnesota in this situation.

Fun Fact: Both Robin Lopez And Hakim Warrick season high in points last year was against the Hornets. (:

So it seems the other shoe has fallen with regards to the curious Jack and B. Miller trades..

A cunning (if Byzantine) plan if ever I saw one- we moved Jack in order to give us the wriggle-room to acquire Miller's edible contract, which we then in turn parlayed into Lopez, plus the ability to absorb a salary-dump (Warrick).

Essentially we've turned a PG into a C, which circumstances seemed to dictate was necessary- even though Jack was highly regarded.

When Lewis' dead contract comes off the books in 2013, we'll have the room to make our next move- perfect. Truly a chess match! Kudos to 42 for keeping us abreast and informed.
    "I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 auto-gyro?"

I just read that Warrick's contract contains a team option for 2013-2014. If that's the case then he's basically an expiring contract.

Ok, so I went on HoopHype and its not a team option.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

I would pass on this deal. We just need a backup center. No reason to sign Lopez to 3 years and Warrick still has two more years on his contract. Shouldn't be too hard to find a big body for just one season. Lopez is a good backup, but why pay 3 years for a backup?

Thread Information