Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Marc Spears Article on Eric Gordon's recommitment to New Orleans {merged}

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Nate View Post
    How many max, superstar players play only 65-70 games a season? I want names too
    Can you lend me that crystal ball of yours that says he'll only play 65-70 games a season under his max contract? Please and thank you.

I understand injuries, I also understand some players are tough physically to play through them and still play at a high level.
    Are you being serious right now? We don't even know what type of injury he may or may not hypothetically get that might limit his playing time, just like with any other player. We're not going to put injured players on the floor if doctors say it's a bad idea. And when you do, you don't expect "high level" performance at all. These players aren't superhuman, no matter what they're being paid. We're paying him for potential and skill, damn well knowing injury is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    How many players have had a surgery for a 'bruised knee'? Which was what was reported that Gordon had. People were saying "OMG! How does a bruised knee take this long to heal??!!" Even the TP writers were saying things like "Nicolas Batum who has been diagnosed with a bruised knee is playing tonight against the Hornets". Seemingly insinuating that if Batum can play, so can Gordon. As if all bruised knees are created equal. Imagine how they felt when they found out the guy had to have surgery for something that turned out to be more than a bruised knee. If his injury was diagnosed properly in the first place there wouldn't have been a delay.

I don't know but I thought most players like to show out in contract seasons. He's had a history of injuries before coming to NOLA. Knowing another injury could possibly affect your next contract why would a player even consider 'milking' an injury?
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet View Post
    The difference to it seems to me between Saints and Hornets med staff is (and i am by no means a doctor so take it at face value)..The saints staff seem to attack problems with Surgeries RIGHT AWAY get it knocked out where as the Hornets take a more "wait and see" approach?
    I agree the Gordon thing was STRANGE but it may be the same thing as with Blake Griffin..he tried to just let it rest and heal and ended up needing surgery on it now after practicing with team USA?... Again...my name is not Dr James Andrews
    I wouldn't be so quick to praise the Saints medical staff. Jeremy Shockey famously questioned their diagnosis in 2008 of his sports hernia that caused him to pretty much be ineffective all year.
    Support Louisiana businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets2013 View Post
    Are you being serious right now? We don't even know what type of injury he may or may not hypothetically get that might limit his playing time, just like with any other player. We're not going to put injured players on the floor if doctors say it's a bad idea. And when you do, you don't expect "high level" performance at all. These players aren't superhuman, no matter what they're being paid. We're paying him for potential and skill, damn well knowing injury is possible.
    Games played

Name another talented 23 year old with this alarming pattern?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I think once he gets to practice with the team, he will start to like the situation.

Games played

Dude, you are completely missing the point. I'm not talking about his past. I'm talking about being realistic about his future. What're we going to do about his past now that we've given him his contract? How long do you intend to be all mad about it? Contract is signed. We can't demand a certain amount of games despite any possible injury. **** happens whether we like it or not.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Games played

you just didnt get the memo.

Dude, you are completely missing the point. I'm not talking about his past. I'm talking about being realistic about his future. What're we going to do about his past now that we've given him his contract? How long do you intend to be all mad about it? Contract is signed. We can't demand a certain amount of games despite any possible injury. **** happens whether we like it or not.
    Averaging 60-70 games for the next 3 years out of that contract is not acceptable, period. You can make all the apologies for Eric Gordon all you want. You're NEVER going to convince me to accept it.

Averaging 60-70 games for the next 3 years out of that contract is not acceptable, period. You can make all the apologies for Eric Gordon all you want.
    ??????

I'm not making apologies for anyone! I'm saying if he gets injured and can't play, we can't get our panties all in a wad over it because what's done is done. Contract signed. We can't say "LESS THAN 78 GAMES IS UNACCEPTABLE" because if the guy can't play, that's all there is to it.

??????

I'm not making apologies for anyone! I'm saying if he gets injured and can't play, we can't get our panties all in a wad over it because what's done is done. Contract signed. We can't say "LESS THAN 72 GAMES IS UNACCEPTABLE" because if the guy can't play, that's all there is to it.
    Damn that, if that injury is not a career threatening injury, and it causes him to miss long stretches of games again, I'm not going to be happy about it.

Damn that, if that injury is not a career threatening injury, and it causes him to miss long stretches of games again, I'm not going to be happy about it.
    Then be unhappy about it. I'm just saying, we can't demand that he plays at least 78 games if he gets injured. If you put an injured man on the court, not only should you not expect "high level" performance, but what you should expect is for him to worsen his injury and eventually you'll lose him for the rest of the season. Can't be ridiculous just because he happens to have a bad history with injuries. We knew that when we matched the offer.

You're not going to be happy either way.

Then be unhappy about it. I'm just saying, we can't demand that he plays at least 78 games if he gets injured. If you put an injured man on the court, not only should you not expect "high level" performance, but what you should expect is for him to worsen his injury and eventually you'll lose him for the rest of the season. Can't be ridiculous just because he happens to have a bad history with injuries. We knew that when we matched the offer.
    I miss the toughness of Chris Paul...

I miss the toughness of Chris Paul...

Go be a Clippers fan then.

Go be a Clippers fan then.
    Stop being sensitive, I'm entitled to my opinion, and I'm not going to be forced into liking Eric Gordon just to appease people on this board. If not liking Gordon makes me out to not being considered as TRUE Hornets fan according to people on here, then so be it.

Stop being sensitive, I'm entitled to my opinion, and I'm not going to be forced into liking Eric Gordon just to appease people on this board. If not liking Gordon makes me out to not being considered as TRUE Hornets fan according to people on here, then so be it.
    Not sensitive at all. You don't have to miss Chris Paul's toughness. Just go follow the Clippers and you can reconnect with his toughness. We're all entitled to our opinions as well. You're not going to be forced into liking Gordon (which I don't see anyone at all trying to force you to do so) and we're not going to be forced to hate him just to appease you either.

Not sensitive at all. You don't have to miss Chris Paul's toughness. Just go follow the Clippers and you can reconnect with his toughness. We're all entitled to our opinions as well. You're not going to be forced into liking Gordon (which I don't see anyone at all trying to force you to do so) and we're not going to be forced to hate him just to appease you.
    Who are you referring to when you say we're?

Who are you referring to when you say we're?
    Everybody that you're talking to in this thread.

Everybody that you're talking to in this thread.
    Not everyone in this thread (excluding me) likes Eric Gordon.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    that's great.

I'm talking to you though. You're the one barking the loudest.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    that's great.
    You seem angry?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    You're not a champion for truth just because you have an opinion. It's fine. Don't like Gordon hab nabery n all that. But...he's ours for the next 3, 4 years. Just going to not like one of the players Monty plans on building the team around is all. Won't be an enjoyable experience.

Oh well.

I'm talking to you though. You're the one barking the loudest.
    Of course, I have a strong opinion on it that's not going to sit well with everyone. I definitely don't feel I'm wrong for feeling the way I do either UNTIL it's proven on the court on a consistent basis. I understand the contract and that their was no way to avoid it with Phoenix getting into the mix. But that's still not gonna excuse me from holding Eric Gordon up to higher standards that also comes with that contract.

Of course, I have a strong opinion on it that's not going to sit well with everyone. I definitely don't feel I'm wrong for feeling the way I do either UNTIL it's proven on on the court on a consistent basis. I understand the contract and that their was no way to avoid it with Phoenix getting into the mix. But that's still not gonna excuse me from holding Eric Gordon up to higher standards that also comes with that contract.
    No, you're not wrong for feeling the way you do. And not everyone is going to agree with everyone's opinion. That's fine. Others aren't going to be made to feel wrong for feeling the way they do either. But just because you have a strong opinion on it doesn't mean you have to keep shouting it to the rafters in every Gordon thread.

It's funny because when the Paul to Clippers deal was going down you thought it was bull that Gordon might not be included in the deal. You knew he had a couple of injuries then but you apparently still wanted him in the deal.

Thread Information