Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Marc Spears Article on Eric Gordon's recommitment to New Orleans {merged}

Personally, I'm glad the guy is back, and I seriously hope he is committed, because he will be the biggest reason if we do hope to win a championship.

The "bipolar" thing seems a bit harsh to me, it's more like an inept politician. I don't know his true feelings, but it kinda seems like he's just trying to: a) please people and b) cover his back. In doing one he failed in the other since he is not versed enough to speak vaguely enough not to get in trouble, but be specific enough to please.

The "my heart is in Phoenix" thing is whatever. He said what he said, and we have to get over it. The guy will be here. New Orleanians (myself included) tend to take affront to our city and people to the extreme. Both a blessing and a curse. It's not like he's been here for very long anyway. It was a year in which he was traded abruptly, injured, and played on a bad team. He needs to mature, sure, but he's 23 years old. I give him a pass - AS LONG as he proves his commitment on and off the court. He needs to be a leader. He needs to show the New Orleans community that he is committed to both the Hornets AND the city itself via charitable works, appearances, etc.

BTW, I'm more of a lurker than a poster, but I must have missed something, why do most refer to him as "EJ"?

Quote Originally Posted by crenshaw View Post
    Ummm Gold Medal in the World Championships not a big game for you?
    So Davis didn't play in 'big' games yet either.

Quote Originally Posted by KikkomanSauce View Post
    Personally, I'm glad the guy is back, and I seriously hope he is committed, because he will be the biggest reason if we do hope to win a championship.

The "bipolar" thing seems a bit harsh to me, it's more like an inept politician. I don't know his true feelings, but it kinda seems like he's just trying to: a) please people and b) cover his back. In doing one he failed in the other since he is not versed enough to speak vaguely enough not to get in trouble, but be specific enough to please.

The "my heart is in Phoenix" thing is whatever. He said what he said, and we have to get over it. The guy will be here. New Orleanians (myself included) tend to take affront to our city and people to the extreme. Both a blessing and a curse. It's not like he's been here for very long anyway. It was a year in which he was traded abruptly, injured, and played on a bad team. He needs to mature, sure, but he's 23 years old. I give him a pass - AS LONG as he proves his commitment on and off the court. He needs to be a leader. He needs to show the New Orleans community that he is committed to both the Hornets AND the city itself via charitable works, appearances, etc.

BTW, I'm more of a lurker than a poster, but I must have missed something, why do most refer to him as "EJ"?
    Nice post. And EJ is for Eric Gordon, Jr.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

I always stuck by Gordon's side, it was a little discouraging when he made the comments but its over and done, im glad he is back
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

I pretty much got my Gordon hate out of my system after all the Phoenix drama by making fun of him for being goofy and whining. Now he's done his part for damage control, which I expected, and we've had harsh words just like he did, and I don't see the point in holding it against him anymore. He's pretty much admitting he was wrong, and he pointed out that it really is tough for fans to empathize with the business side of these negotiations, which is true. Most fans who aren't too informed are going to just go "Well **** EJ!" without considering that he was under pressure (and yes, he handled it badly). We can't expect to relate to his situation in any way, and that's what he was pointing out. We can at least understand why he handled it poorly. He's a young dude, dealing with millions of dollars, and trying to say and do the right things. He's not a business man. At least not a good one.

I'm ready to watch him play in a Hornets uniform and begin to lead our team to the top, so we can put the past year behind us.

You said everything I was thinking. So this x1000.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeatherNLU View Post
    I am not bitter at all, the guy is supposed to be our best player and our leader and everytime he opens his mouth, stupidity comes out. I want to love him again but he makes it hard, he really does. I will be 100% benhind him when the season starts, but right now I am still a little put off about the way this whole thing went down. Calm down bro.
    he is dumb, that unquestionable. but dont confuse stupidity for bitterness.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_HORNET View Post
    So Davis didn't play in 'big' games yet either.
    no he has not, and that is what gordon was saying.

LoneyROY7 can answer that for you.

The dude is freaking whacked out. I for one am not ready to forgive and forget quite yet. Let's see more than words....actions will change my mind.
    This
    SIGN A SF

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Interesting comments about Demps.

I'm not sure why he's done a complete 180 in how he deals with his players.

I remember starting out how often he was reported to have brought guys like David West and Chris Paul into his office to give them heads up on moves they may be making and to sit them down for conversations about the teams future and how much he wanted them to be a part of it.
    CP3 & Davud West never milked a injury. They never isolated themselves from the team. They never stayed in the locker room during a game to watch a college game and tweeted about it. They never disrespected the game nor the Hornets brass, they were open thru convo. And finally DWest and CP3 had skins on the wall where as EG is a youngster in the NBA, and in sports all vets who are all stars are treated differently! They are respected!

why do most refer to him as "EJ"?
    when he was with clips..

We know you go by EJ, but do you have any other nicknames that have stuck with you growing up?

EG: Well, yeah, a lot people call me EJ because my dad is also named Eric, but this team likes to call me The Hobbit. Iit’s funny, but they say it’s because Hobbits are supposed to have natural powers or something. Other than that, people like to call me E-money of EG.

EJ stands for Eric Gordon Jr! Eric Gordon dad name is Eric Gordon Sr. and EG10 is a Junior, answering to EJ or EG10!

How did he 'milk' an injury if it was an injury he evidently ended up having surgery for? Did Okafor 'milk' an injury? He's the one that had an 'injury' that we rarely heard anything about. Didn't hear much about it and he didn't have surgery.

Blah blah blah blah blah..get on the court and play, enough cheap talk.

Hall of Famer ScoutWithoutClout's Avatar
    I DONT CARE WHAT HE SAYS. I JUST CARE IF HE PLAYS 82 GAMES

Quote Originally Posted by who.re.net View Post
    OH.

I don't really care about his comments from a personal stand point. I don't need my ball players to be smart just effective and reliable. The questions about Gordon is around his reliability. Those comments makes me farther question his mental toughness and long term reliability.

Hall of Famer Contributor pjk481's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    How did he 'milk' an injury if it was an injury he evidently ended up having surgery for? Did Okafor 'milk' an injury? He's the one that had an 'injury' that we rarely heard anything about. Didn't hear much about it and he didn't have surgery.
    I agree with this. And if anything, let's remember that our great medical staff misdiagnosed him at first. It took like 6 weeks for them to realize he needed surgery. I don't think that's him milking anything. Sure, maybe he could have come back sooner after surgery. But Monty and dell probably wanted to be cautious and let him fully heal since we were a terrible team with a terrible record as it was if some of you forgot. No point in rushing him back to maybe get hurt worse to win meaningless games. And this was also our way of "tanking" without having to explicitly do it.

Quote Originally Posted by pjk481 View Post
    I agree with this. And if anything, let's remember that our great medical staff misdiagnosed him at first. It took like 6 weeks for them to realize he needed surgery. I don't think that's him milking anything. Sure, maybe he could have come back sooner after surgery. But Monty and dell probably wanted to be cautious and let him fully heal since we were a terrible team with a terrible record as it was if some of you forgot. No point in rushing him back to maybe get hurt worse to win meaningless games. And this was also our way of "tanking" without having to explicitly do it.
    Yeah in a contract year I doubt Gordon would want to sit out longer than necessary. I think he was held out longer and I believe it was one of the reason he was fusturated with our front office.

Quote Originally Posted by who.re.net View Post
    i think your caps lock is broken. and its probably harder to play 82 games in 1 season of nba than it is to play 9. lets be more realistic and hope for around 65-70

Glad to read he's attempting to re-connect with the fans. Best of luck to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    I'm shocked! Who could have seen this coming?!

But to say that "we" don't understand the business side of things... uh what? You're right, EJ I don't understand what your tactics were, especially if you "knew New Orleans would match all along". Give me a break.
    Just because NO said they would match does not mean he would have gotten a max offer. If I remember correctly, PHX was the only team to offer him that. With that being said, do you think he's going to finally get his max offer then come out and say, "Thanks PHX, I used you to get my max offer. Now that I know NO will match and I want to be there, so long suckers!" People take things too personally. It's a business.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    The dude is freaking whacked out. I for one am not ready to forgive and forget quite yet. Let's see more than words....actions will change my mind.
    honest question - if he plays hard and helps us win, why do you care whether he's "whacked out" or where his "heart" is.... he's a professional basketball player, we're paying him to do a job. I'm a hornets fan, not an Eric Gordon fan, not an Anthony Davis fan, not an Austin Rivers fan.. a HORNETS fan. As Chris Paul taught us, what a player says means very little.

And for some of you to call the guy dumb is a little harsh....

Thread Information