Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Andray Blatche Amensty!!

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar

Stay away from Blatche

3rd String Hot Dog Vendor Scarecrow's Avatar
    I love how anybody who's 6'10 or taller gets their own thread when they become available, double exclamation points and all. The Internet is your friend, do research. More then just height is needed to make a good team.

*Patiently awaits the "Shawn Bradley's Still Available!!" thread**

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    I love how anybody who's 6'10 or taller gets their own thread when they become available, double exclamation points and all. The Internet is your friend, do research. More then just height is needed to make a good team.

*Patiently awaits the "Shawn Bradley's Still Available!!" thread**
    we are talking about back up centers, what skills does a backup 5 need to possess besides being big and somewhat athletic? All we really need is someone who is willing to rebound, clog the paint, and block an occasional shot. not saying blatche is the right fit or isnt, but we cant be somewhat optimistic about adding a big guy to our roster?
    Last edited by RaisingTheBar; 07-17-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Sign Whiteside, do the Hollins thing if they feel he fits and kick the wheels on Oden

Quote Originally Posted by NemesisKING View Post
    Sign Whiteside, do the Hollins thing if they feel he fits and kick the wheels on Oden
    So sign 3 centers?
    SIGN A SF

If monty does pull the trigger i'll be fine with it and have faith. It'd surely leave me quite bumboozled

Quote Originally Posted by All Metro View Post
    So sign 3 centers?
    How many do we have right now?

Whiteside, see if you could do what the kings couldn't, show some patience with an athletically gifted kid, toss him in with our current youngsters and see if we can develop him along with the other guys for the future.

What the Kings did is what loser franchises do, like Charlotte and Toronto, you take a young talented big, throw him into an already crowded situation surrounded by a bunch of ball hog chuckers without any serious coaching or development.

Ryan Hollins, i can see where they're going with him if it's more than just agent speak. Young veteran, there aren't very many players at 7' in the NBA more phyically gifted than him, he's the type of guy that's going to do the dirty work for you, are you'll get him to do that dirty work, he'll run the floor, block shots and he's gives a legitimately athletic big to put on the court for right now, if you're going to have a hustle grunt guy you might as well make it an athletic 7' one.

Greg Oden, the same reason any body would bring his name up, if healthy its worth the gamble to if you could tap into potential.

I doubt he would come here for a reasonable price, so i would be content right now with Whiteside and Hollins.

We don't have any Cs right now, nothing wrong with signing those 3 and taking them to camp.

at all you {edited - personal attacks not allowed} and your constant labeling of players as "cancers" or "team killers" just b/c of their past problems with coaching staffs, effort questions, playing time...

This team has lacked ATTITUDE for years now. CP had it, but controlled it b/c he had to play nice guy. DWest's attitude was **** poor, but you people loved and cherished that dude like he was your son. Perhaps a few years back, we should have swung that trade for Cap'n Jack b/c we needed someone like him with some in your face attitude. Someone that wouldn't take {edited - velied cursing} from no one on the other team.

I think this team could honestly benefit from having a player or two like that. A "thug" type, someone w/ "swag", someone like Varajeo who constantly gets under the other teams skin and just agitates them until no end. Yeah we're young, but we need somebody in here w/ a mean streak. Perhaps someone labeled as a "dirty player". Most great teams had that one or two bad apples (Rodman, Laimbeer, Rambis, McHale(he was a bit of a {edited - veiled cursing AGAIN} ) Bowen, Artest, Horry) It still rings true today w/ guys like Perkins, SJax, Haslem, etc...

I think you people need to quit being so quick to judge with all this "headcase" and "cancer" crap and just realize that sometimes this attitude problem could be used as an advantage. We don't need a Blatche or McGee to come in here and be the leader of our young guys, we need them to come in here and light a fire under them. To go ahead and take out a guy or two who goes after AD or Rivers, or whoever. Someone that will step up and get that technical to take up for the team. Sometimes, that is just as beneficial to build a team as having a team full of pretty boys and "class acts". We're too soft... and have been for years. With the exception of Smith plowing Griffin last year.

Quote Originally Posted by TBlaze View Post
    at all you {edited - personal attacks not allowed} and your constant labeling of players as "cancers" or "team killers" just b/c of their past problems with coaching staffs, effort questions, playing time...

This team has lacked ATTITUDE for years now. CP had it, but controlled it b/c he had to play nice guy. DWest's attitude was **** poor, but you people loved and cherished that dude like he was your son. Perhaps a few years back, we should have swung that trade for Cap'n Jack b/c we needed someone like him with some in your face attitude. Someone that wouldn't take {edited - velied cursing} from no one on the other team.

I think this team could honestly benefit from having a player or two like that. A "thug" type, someone w/ "swag", someone like Varajeo who constantly gets under the other teams skin and just agitates them until no end. Yeah we're young, but we need somebody in here w/ a mean streak. Perhaps someone labeled as a "dirty player". Most great teams had that one or two bad apples (Rodman, Laimbeer, Rambis, McHale(he was a bit of a {edited - veiled cursing AGAIN} ) Bowen, Artest, Horry) It still rings true today w/ guys like Perkins, SJax, Haslem, etc...

I think you people need to quit being so quick to judge with all this "headcase" and "cancer" crap and just realize that sometimes this attitude problem could be used as an advantage. We don't need a Blatche or McGee to come in here and be the leader of our young guys, we need them to come in here and light a fire under them. To go ahead and take out a guy or two who goes after AD or Rivers, or whoever. Someone that will step up and get that technical to take up for the team. Sometimes, that is just as beneficial to build a team as having a team full of pretty boys and "class acts". We're too soft... and have been for years. With the exception of Smith plowing Griffin last year.
    HUGE difference between a healthy "attitude" and pure stupidity. This guy is an idiot and a trouble maker. I would not want him anywhere near our team and hopefully no one else will etiher. That may help him grow up and learn his lesson.

Blatche vs. Hollins:

I'm not saying he isn't worth a look; I just doubt he fits what Demps is looking for.

Blatche doesn't have the rep of a guy who's an enforcer or who has "swagger". He has the rep of a selfish guy who does dumb things on a basketball court.

Sometimes a guy can turn it around and if he came cheap enough, sure, take a looksie. I just don't think it's likely.

There is a huge difference between Rodman, Bowen, Artest or any name you threw and Blatche. Blatche is not an aggressive player that will go under the other team skin. Blatche is the guy that will not take the game seriously, not be a team player and that will make all the other teams laugh at you (and he is too stupid to even give a crap). There are good headcases and bad ones. No team needs the Blatche headcase. It's not the "I'm too agressive and I don't know when it's too much" attitude it's the "I'm passive as hell because all I care in the game is my stat line".

I would agree with getting an aggressive guy as you described but Blatche is no way near that.

Edit : Oh and he is the guy that will try to prove to your young players that hard work (on and off) and team work don't give you minutes, talent and stat sheet does ...
    Last edited by Alvis; 07-17-2012 at 03:21 PM.

hahaha thats great

Quote Originally Posted by bojangles837 View Post
    hahaha thats great
    just like your sig

I wasn't so much advocating Blatche particularly, as much as everytime someone who has had any kind of issues whatsoever just constantly gets blasted on this forum.

I mean, what do we want, a team of angels and model citizens? Then you should watch the WNBA. We don't have anyone on this roster that has an attitude or swagger like that, and we need it. No, we have young immature dudes who need to be "wanted" or are young rookies trying to prove themselves, or unproven young vets trying to win spots... or character guys with not high level talent. A team full of Lance Thomas's and Jason Smith's will not get in trouble or hurt your image, but they won't produce a ton of wins or scare anybody either. (Smith, maybe now.. haha) Whenever guys like McGee, JR Smith, SJax, Artest, etc... have gotten brought up in the past, they are immediately shot down and it's dumb.

I know Blatche has his issues, trust me... but I also know that his immaturity stems from poor coaching since he's land in WSH out of high school. Between that and the losing culture, I think he's worn out his welcome. Get him into a new system with hope for the future (he's only what, 26?) and you can likely turn that around. He should get PT with this team so you can never say never. JR turned things on in Denver w/ Karl and now he is the starter up in NY (he's already said he'd rather be a bench player b/c he likes that roll better) Sometimes that's all it takes.

Plus, he's getting freakin' amnestied. Brand just got claimed for 2.1 million. Do you know what that means? That this potential risk factor with bringing him in to see if he turns his act around, tremendously decreases. We don't have post presence now... so bring him in, see if you could bring out that beast potential that he has shown in the past (he's also been hurt a lot the past 2 years) and if you can't.. then so what. What will it cost? 2mil per season at the most? I'm not seeing why this wouldn't be something we would look at.

If not Lopez, or Whiteside... then go w/ Blatche. He's accomplished more in this league than those two, even with the attitude problem and immaturity.
    Last edited by TBlaze; 07-17-2012 at 03:39 PM.

I don't know if it's his attitude so much as the guy appears to have 3 living brain cells.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets2013 View Post
    I don't know if it's his attitude so much as the guy appears to have 3 living brain cells.
    Well... if his three living brain cells can put up 16 and 10... and he can hold his own on D against 85% of the C's in this league... I'll take it.

did anyone pay attention to the Wizards last year? first people wanted McGee, and now Blatche? next thing someone's going to say get Nick Young to play PG

Quote Originally Posted by DiMaggio dunks View Post
    did anyone pay attention to the Wizards last year? first people wanted McGee, and now Blatche? next thing someone's going to say get Nick Young to play PG
    He would have been awesome if we lost Gordon... but he's flown to Philly already.

He would have been awesome if we lost Gordon... but he's flown to Philly already.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Regardless of crappy attitude, the guy has produced horribly since entering the NBA.

In the past year, Blatche posted a HORRIFIC 41.5% TS%. I cannot describe to you how horrific this is by saying that he produced an estimated NEGATIVE 0.8 on the offensive end of the ball last year. I can't get rankings in the NBA for this stat, but I would have to guess this is most definitely the worst. Just for comparison's sake, that is 2x worse than Julian Wright's worst offensive season.

It wasn't just last year either. For his career, Andray Blatche has a career 50% TS%. That's horrible. Trevor Ariza posted that last year for us. What makes Blatche even worse is that he has a USG rate of 22.9% for his career, and has nearly broken 26% on a couple of seasons. That's Chris Paul territory.

He is an okay defender though, I will at least give him that. However, his offensive deficiencies are horrific and his reported attitude problems make me believe there is no plausible way he's worth our time.

We have talent, culture, and flexibility. We don't need to take risks on players and take minutes away from Davis, Anderson, Smith, or even Lance Thomas for that matter for Andray Blatche.

Hall of Famer ScoutWithoutClout's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP View Post
    He could average 20 and 15 and I wouldn't want him.
    I sure would

Hall of Famer ScoutWithoutClout's Avatar

this is a loaded post, but i have to admit i absolutely agree. you need a rodman or rambis, and i dont think lance thomas is it

Quote Originally Posted by who.re.net View Post
    I sure would
    I wouldn't....because most of that 20 and 15 would come from him frantically trying to get it in garbage time when the game has already been decided....

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_318 View Post
    I wouldn't....because most of that 20 and 15 would come from him frantically trying to get it in garbage time when the game has already been decided....
    and who cares? if he can contribute to the team, and monthy think he can deal with the personality, i say go for it. if not we look towards someone else. no big deal.

Thread Information