Pelicans Report

Page 30 of 56 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 40 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Basketball Summer Olympics Thread

Geaux Hornets! Contributor PrepP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    i have to say, i cant remember 08 too much (i dont even remember having probs watching the basketball games) but this year's coverage of the Olympics has been very crappy by NBC.
    You know, ive really only watched the basketball games on TV this year. So I don't know how the other events or opening ceremony went ,but their coverage of basketball hasn't been too bad. I like doug collins commentating. But the NBC Olympics website that they are really pushing has been nothing but trouble for me.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PrepP View Post
    You know, ive really only watched the basketball games on TV this year. So I don't know how the other events or opening ceremony went ,but their coverage of basketball hasn't been too bad. I like doug collins commentating. But the NBC Olympics website that they are really pushing has been nothing but trouble for me.
    i have the nbc sports channel, which shows all of the basketball games complete and live, but i have friends who have cox and they only get to see bits and pieces of the game. wasnt so much complaining about the commentary. i have also heard a lot of complaints about the website, so its not just you lol

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    I realized every time Davis got an alley Kobe would stand, raise his hand then do a wink or something to communicate with AD. Sweet! To have Kobe as a short sorta mentor is great; surprised Kobe went with it.
    2013-1014 is the season the Pelicans fanbase grows!!!!

Life is just grand, isn't it?

I gotta say.... DeThrone has been reaaaallll quiet lately

Because there's little basketball to discuss. I haven't watched either game, but from what I understand Davis has displayed he can dunk the ball.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Because there's little basketball to discuss. I haven't watched either game, but from what I understand Davis has displayed he can dunk the ball.
    And block shots. But, point noted, we already knew that.

and defend. but thats usually how it goes for players that get garbage time minutes.

Dathrone =Creature Of the Night

All my wrestling guys no what i mean lol.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

When Anthony Davis takes the floor

Anthony Davis has a good life with Team USA. In his first prolonged stint of Olympic action, the 19-year-old top pick scored a dozen points without so much as a single dribble.

Seriously, all five of his buckets were lob dunks -- and his two free throws came when he was fouled on a tip jam attempt.

But the flashy lobfest wasn’t all Davis brought to the game. He was active around the rim, seemed to know where to be on both ends and hardly looked physically overmatched against grown men. Against the worst team in the Olympic field, he looked pretty sharp.

Yet after the game, Deron Williams, while praising Davis, said "he doesn't even really know how to play the game yet."

That's a good summary of where Davis is right now: He's incredible ... for a nineteen year old who hasn't seen a second of NBA action.

All of which leaves a question mark about his role on this team. Is he here to learn, or to help?

If he were an NBA veteran with his current skill level, he'd never have been on the team. Consider how Tunisian big man Salah Merji blows past Davis for a fourth-quarter slam. A nitpicker would mention his inability to hold position down low or create a shot for himself.

But since Davis is on the team, and a big man with several elite skills, why does coach Mike Krzyzweski keep him under wraps like some top-secret space project?

This goes beyond fans who want to see the highly touted rookie in action. It seems worthwhile to determine if Davis has the ability to really help against international competition. If Kevin Love hadn’t injured his leg on a third-quarter move to the hoop, it’s unlikely Davis would have had dazzled against Tunisia.

Perhaps Davis should be playing more simply so he's ready should Team USA ever, because of injuries or foul trouble, have to count on him for substantial minutes in a close elimination game. Stranger things have happened.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...akes-the-floor

nick vanexel ‏@vanexel31
    Anthony Davis could really help #Team USA with his size and length. Probably should use him more.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    nick vanexel ‏@vanexel31
    Anthony Davis could really help #Team USA with his size and length. Probably should use him more.
    Play Anthony Davis, what a novel idea.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    I was just made aware of this, but it's funny.

Michael Jordan wore #23 for the Bulls, Kobe Bryant wears #24 for the Lakers.
    Michael Jordan wore #9 for Team USA, Kobe Bryant wears #10 for Team USA.

Someone is trying to one up Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP View Post
    I was just made aware of this, but it's funny.

Michael Jordan wore #23 for the Bulls, Kobe Bryant wears #24 for the Lakers.
    Michael Jordan wore #9 for Team USA, Kobe Bryant wears #10 for Team USA.

Someone is trying to one up Michael.
    Kobe has patterned his entire career off of MJ. The way he played, the he talked (though that has changed lately), and basically everything else he could imitate.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

"Consider how Tunisian big man Salah Merji blows past Davis for a fourth-quarter slam. A nitpicker would mention his inability to hold position down low or create a shot for himself."

Sounds familiar
    Formally known as WhoDatMan504

"Consider how Tunisian big man Salah Merji blows past Davis for a fourth-quarter slam. A nitpicker would mention his inability to hold position down low or create a shot for himself."

Sounds familiar

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatMan504 View Post

Sounds familiar
    Ironic given that he blew past him at the top of the key and no where near the post. That was a helluva explosive move for the big man.

Yes, it was a great move. Beat him all the way out from the three point line.

Are you mad that AD is doing good in the Olympics and with Kobe, Lebron, Deron Williams etc.giving him high praise?

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    and defend. but thats usually how it goes for players that get garbage time minutes.
    Not so sure about the defend part. He's got a few weakside blocks and got a few guards, but 1 on 1 he's been taken to the hole by skilled bogs like that guy Traore.

Still wish they would let him try and return the favor with a few post moves, but so far he's been '08 Tyson Chandler.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Not so sure about the defend part. He's got a few weakside blocks and got a few guards, but 1 on 1 he's been taken to the hole by skilled bogs like that guy Traore.

Still wish they would let him try and return the favor with a few post moves, but so far he's been '08 Tyson Chandler.
    that's the one negative that happened the entire game for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    Kobe has patterned his entire career off of MJ. The way he played, the he talked (though that has changed lately), and basically everything else he could imitate.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
    Finally. Someone who sees what I see. Don't forget the tongue and the walk.

New Orleans Hornets rookie Anthony Davis getting work in with Olympics team

London — Anthony Davis stopped dribbling, tucked the ball under one of his long arms and shook hands with the tall reporter whose face seemed so familiar.

"He had no idea who I was," Christian Laettner said. "But he's seen The Shot."

Two players — one from Kentucky, the other from Duke — separated by 20 years yet so intertwined in U.S. men's basketball history. All-Americans in college, both led their respective schools to national championships and then spent the following summer at the end of the bench on Olympic teams.

Stars to subs just that quick.

Earlier this week, Davis, at the London Games because a knee injury knocked Blake Griffin off the American roster, and Laettner, the 12th man on the 1992 Dream Team, met for the first time before a U.S. team practice.

They shared a few laughs and posed for pictures.

"He was cool, but I didn't know who he was at first," Davis said, a bit embarrassed. "I've heard of him. Everybody was asking me about him."

Since arriving in England last week, the 19-year-old Davis, taken with the No. 1 overall pick in June's NBA draft by New Orleans, has been asked about Laettner. After finishing his career at Duke, Laettner spent the summer of his life in Spain as teammates with Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson and Larry Bird.

Davis only knew of Laettner the same way all Kentucky fans know him — the unspeakable villain who drained the immortalized buzzer-beating jumper that beat the Wildcats in the East Regional final of the 1992 NCAA tournament.

Mention The Shot and any Kentuckian's blue blood boils.

"Yeah, I've heard about it forever," Davis said. "That's OK. I think we made up for it this year."

With the reach of someone 7-foot-5, Davis led Kentucky to a national title as a freshman before entering the NBA draft. He was invited to the U.S. team's pre-Olympic camp, but the 6-foot-10 big man was slowed by a sprained ankle. After not making the squad, he would have most of his summer off before training camp.

However, while in Los Angeles attending the ESPY Awards, Davis got a call telling him Griffin was hurt and to get to Las Vegas.

"I said, 'all right,' hung up the phone and caught the first plane," he said.

Unlike Laettner, who averaged just eight minutes per game — "as the 12th most unneeded person on that team" — in Barcelona, Davis may have a far more significant role with this U.S. squad before these Olympics end. With just one true experienced center in Tyson Chandler, the Americans lack both interior size and depth — something they figure to need against Spain, Argentina and Brazil in the medal round next week.

If Chandler gets in foul trouble, if there's an injury, or if U.S. coach Mike Krzyzewski wants to play a bigger lineup, Davis may get more playing time.

He's earning it.
    http://www.nola.com/olympics/index.s...ookie_ant.html

Thread Information