.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 13 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 325 of 1392

Thread: 2012 Basketball Summer Olympics Thread

  1. #301
    Enjoys Waffles P Raff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    In The Building
    Posts
    1,395
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    i didnt specifically mean just this year. we were in a similar situation in 08 as well.
    Howard played in the 08 games, if I'm not mistaken.
    "Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal."- Demetri Martin

    @ThePraff

  2. #302
    The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    10,566
    Quote Originally Posted by P Raff View Post
    Howard played in the 08 games, if I'm not mistaken.
    and bynum? and other centers in the nba? what is up with that?

  3. #303
    The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    10,566
    Quote Originally Posted by P Raff View Post
    Howard played in the 08 games, if I'm not mistaken.
    he did he just didnt get as much PT. kind of like davis.

  4. #304
    Draft Pick VA_Hornet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    he did he just didnt get as much PT. kind of like davis.
    Started all 8 games. Only played 16 per though. Second least among starters. J Kidd avg. 13.

  5. #305
    The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    10,566
    Quote Originally Posted by VA_Hornet View Post
    Started all 8 games. Only played 16 per though. Second least among starters. J Kidd avg. 13.
    yes there were games where he played like 13 and 14 mins. dont get it. usa has been needing big guys on the squad, i dont get why some of the nba players dont play.

  6. #306
    Enjoys Waffles P Raff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    In The Building
    Posts
    1,395
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    and bynum? and other centers in the nba? what is up with that?
    Apparently Bynum opted out because of a knee procedure. I'm not sure about the rest of the league.

    Off the top of my head, Pau, Marc, Duncan, Bargnani, Nene, and Gortat aren't American. That leaves us with Chandler (on the team), Noah (injured), Bosh (injured), McGhee (dumb), DeAndre Jordan (see McGhee), and then Hibbert and Al Jefferson, who aren't any better than our current big men. I might be missing some people, but that seems to be the reason. We don't really have any replacements.

  7. #307
    Custom User Title: slowchild25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lake Charles
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    yes there were games where he played like 13 and 14 mins. dont get it. usa has been needing big guys on the squad, i dont get why some of the nba players dont play.
    Everyone is hurt.

    Howard (back surgery), LaMarcus Aldridge (hip injury), Chris Bosh (strained abdominal muscle) and Blake Griffin (left knee surgery). And Bynum has played all 82 games exactly once in his career so I doubt he'd be to thrilled at the possibility of adding more mileage to his knees.

  8. #308
    Demarcus Cousins is not hurt but Team USA wants no part of him.

  9. #309
    The Mad Titan    Contributor   
    BallSoHard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    13,714
    Quote Originally Posted by P Raff View Post
    11 out of 12 of those players are in the Hall of Fame. 20 years from now, will you be able to say the same for this year's team?



    Off the bat, I'd say Lebron and Kobe are 100% surefire first ballet HOFs, while Paul, Williams, and Anthony are right behind. Durant will be a HOF barring any major injuries, and the jury is still out on Chandler, Love, Iguodala and the rest of the group. All of them have the potential, they're just too young to tell right now.

    Potentially, every single one of these players could be a HOF, but it's not likely.
    Chandler is in his 30's. He wont be HOF.

    What player from our team would you even put on the orginal dream team? Kobe, Durant and Lebron; that's it. even a Larry Bird with a bad back is better than most of our Starters. I get we always want to compare and think today was better than yesterday, but i don't think it holds true in this case.

  10. #310
    The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    10,566
    cousins mcgee hibbert jordan, i think those at least 1 of those guys would be beneficial when defending spain.

  11. #311
    Custom User Title: slowchild25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lake Charles
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    cousins mcgee hibbert jordan, i think those at least 1 of those guys would be beneficial when defending spain.
    Hibbert played on the Jamacian national team and can't play for team USA without getting a release from Jamaica.

  12. #312
    The Mad Titan    Contributor   
    BallSoHard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    13,714
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    cousins mcgee hibbert jordan, i think those at least 1 of those guys would be beneficial when defending spain.
    And whp's spot would you give up for that? Clearly Coach K doesn't agree with you. I'll trust him over you.

  13. #313
    Enjoys Waffles P Raff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    In The Building
    Posts
    1,395
    Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    And whp's spot would you give up for that? Clearly Coach K doesn't agree with you. I'll trust him over you.
    Yea I would prefer anyone on the current team more than those guys.

    Really the only thing I disagree with is Davis' playing time vs the bigger teams.

  14. #314
    Fire Monty!! Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    13,914
    Thing that gets me, if he's not ready to play, why is he on the team?
    PelicansReport.com Sim League
    New Orleans Hornets General Manager

  15. #315
    Enjoys Waffles P Raff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    In The Building
    Posts
    1,395
    Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP View Post
    Thing that gets me, if he's not ready to play, why is he on the team?
    Before watching him, I thought that he wouldn't be able to perform at an Olympic level, but after seeing him in these two games (albeit garbage minutes), it is obvious why he was chosen over other more polished player. He is as much of a force down-low as any other potential candidate when it comes to defense. And he can score. Why he's not getting PT is beyond me.

  16. #316
    CP3 has deceitful eyes ohnosono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Paul's balls
    Posts
    2,945
    Maybe he's their secret weapon. They wanna save him for the real games.

  17. #317
    Quote Originally Posted by P Raff View Post
    Yea I would prefer anyone on the current team more than those guys.

    Really the only thing I disagree with is Davis' playing time vs the bigger teams.
    Agreed. If anything, the USA team has enough offense already. Davis blows Love out of the water defensively, and he is much more physical than Love. Plus, if given 15 minutes a game, he'll get you 12+ points just off of catching the lob.

  18. #318
    The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    10,566
    Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    And whp's spot would you give up for that? Clearly Coach K doesn't agree with you. I'll trust him over you.
    i didnt ask anyone to trust me, and how do you know if those guys even tried out for the team? maybe they just didnt want to play, which was my first point. the fact cannot be denied that the team needs big, and actual centers.
    Last edited by RaisingTheBar; 07-23-2012 at 02:05 PM.

  19. #319
    Quote Originally Posted by P Raff View Post
    Apparently Bynum opted out because of a knee procedure. I'm not sure about the rest of the league.

    Off the top of my head, Pau, Marc, Duncan, Bargnani, Nene, and Gortat aren't American. That leaves us with Chandler (on the team), Noah (injured), Bosh (injured), McGhee (dumb), DeAndre Jordan (see McGhee), and then Hibbert and Al Jefferson, who aren't any better than our current big men. I might be missing some people, but that seems to be the reason. We don't really have any replacements.
    Tim Duncan is from the (U.S.) Virgin Islands, but he did play for the U.S. Olympic team in 2004.

  20. #320
    Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,182
    Duncan has represented America in international competition. He would have been on the 1998 team but no NBAers played due to the lockout. He declined an invite in 2000 and soured on the competition all together after the bronze in 2004. Bynum also declined an invite to be a finalist on the 2012 team.

  21. #321
    All-Star PennStatePelican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Penn State via Nola
    Posts
    266
    Apparently Coach K isn't ecstatic with K-Love.

    http://www.iamagm.com/article/team-u...r#.UA3EG2Ge7Sk

  22. #322
    Draft Pick VA_Hornet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    24
    Joakim Noah plays for France. Just thought I'd share.

  23. #323
    A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    20,871
    Only thing Chandler has over AD is experience and size (which does count for a lot, no doubt). AD has him beat everywhere else.
    Now I provide life insurance benefits.

  24. #324
    LTDEE1970 hornetsfan1970's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    SAN DIEGO
    Posts
    35
    WHO THINK COACH K IS THE WEAKNESS ON THIS TEAM!!! IF HE TRY TO START LOVE, JAMES,ANTHONY,PAUL AND WILLIAMS AGAINST SPAIN , WE WILL BE DOWN BY 10 IN THE FIRST QUARTER. WE NEED TO PLAY DAVIS, AND JAMES AT THE 4!! ROTATE THEM!!! LOVE AND CHANDLER AT THE 5

  25. #325
    Maybe this is coach K's way of explaining why Anthony Davis may be moving in front of Kevin Love in the rotation?

    Well, at least we can hope so for tomorrow.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •