Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Hornets match Gordon's offer sheet

Quote Originally Posted by nikkoewan View Post
    Man, disappointed that Demps couldn't do anything with the cap space. We'll never know if he tried to but it takes two to tango. So I really can't blame him all that much since I dont know if he tried or not.

That said, putting an offer on Scola is not a good move IMO. Bad few for Demps
    he's a great post scorer... all our bigs are stretches. only if the price is right

Quote Originally Posted by ej_23 View Post
    I think you forgot about Rashard Lewis salary we don't have any cap room now after EJ signed.

But you are correct about the TPE I forgot we were under the cap now that trade doesntr make much sense. I guess they really didn't have minutes for Jack but just giving him away doesn't make much sense..
    No... I'm correct. We have $5 million in cap space left.

hornets247.com ‏@hornets247
    For those who want the latest numbers: Hornets have a little over 5 million in cap space plus they can use the "room MLE" which is 2.575 mil

Doug Mouton‏@DMoutonWWL
    Eric Gordon: "There is always a business element to the NBA when dealing with contracts but I never lost my appreciation for the NOLA fans."

Quote Originally Posted by nikkoewan View Post
    Man, disappointed that Demps couldn't do anything with the cap space. We'll never know if he tried to but it takes two to tango. So I really can't blame him all that much since I dont know if he tried or not.

That said, putting an offer on Scola is not a good move IMO. Bad few for Demps
    I respectfully disagree. Too many young turks on our team. We either need to go after Scola hard or try to bring Landry back if we are really not pursuing a quality Center. Just need someone who hustles and can teach our pups how to play in the NBA. I would put a bid in for Scola.

ESPNChrisPalmer chris palmer
    Eric Gordon will stay in New Orleans. Anthony Davis makes Team USA. Hornets are on a roll.

Quote Originally Posted by CP3nDX30 View Post
    he's a great post scorer... all our bigs are stretches. only if the price is right
    Sure, but he's a defensive liability whether he's guarding the mobile big or a stretch big or a bully big. We need someone we can throw at bully bigs, that much is clear. I don't want to risk Davis getting hurt because his frame couldn't handle the beating. I trust that Demps has a plan

think about it a 2 yr deal that is very cheap your getting a 7 ft big with talent that just has been unlucky if he gets healthy our front court is going to be set for good AD23 WONT HAVE TO MOVE TO CENTER because oden is only 25 our back court will be monster.and our bench is basically players who have gotten starter minutes last year j.smith ryan anderson vasquez and miller will surprise alot.

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch32 View Post
    how would EJ respond if we told him to report to Vegas and suit up for tomorrow's game?
    his ego may explode.
    Not possible. He's a 4 year veteran.

Plus we'd have to commit at least around 3.5 million per year for 3 years

we have 2 players in the olympics

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    Great leaders don't throw their teammates under the bus before they even had a chance to play together. But that's not a good example of leadership right?

Oden is someone I also want if its for a 3 year's veteran min with options within it

Quote Originally Posted by Westbank23 View Post
    think about it a 2 yr deal that is very cheap your getting a 7 ft big with talent that just has been unlucky if he gets healthy our front court is going to be set for good AD23 WONT HAVE TO MOVE TO CENTER because oden is only 25 our back court will be monster.and our bench is basically players who have gotten starter minutes last year j.smith ryan anderson vasquez and miller will surprise alot.
    I agree but word is that Oden will not be healthy enough to play until another 3 months min. That puts us into October.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Nate View Post
    Great leaders don't throw their teammates under the bus before they even had a chance to play together. But that's not a good example of leadership right?
    Derek Fisher is a better leader than Kobe Bryant. Who would you rather have on a basketball team?

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    No... I'm correct. We have $5 million in cap space left.

hornets247.com ‏@hornets247
    For those who want the latest numbers: Hornets have a little over 5 million in cap space plus they can use the "room MLE" which is 2.575 mil

How is that possible?? I must be adding wrong LOL. Does anyone have a updated spread sheet of the books??

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    Derek Fisher is a better leader than Kobe Bryant. Who would you rather have on a basketball team?
    That's your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by MarcNOLA View Post
    I agree but word is that Oden will not be healthy enough to play until another 3 months min. That puts us into October.
    season doesnt start until late october and if he's not ready yet its ok cause i doubt we'll be contending for the title next year I think it's worth a try. I rather him then scola

Hornets match Suns' offer, retain Gordon

NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- The Hornets have matched the Phoenix Suns' four-year, $58 million offer to Eric Gordon, keeping the restricted free agent guard in New Orleans.

The move to retain Gordon on Saturday was expected, as Hornets general manager Dell Demps and coach Monty Williams had indicated they hoped the 23-year-old former Indiana standout could be the center piece of a rebuilding effort that will also include first overall draft choice Anthony Davis and No. 10 pick Austin Rivers.

Whether the decision will be palatable to fans remains to be seen. Last week, in the days before signing the Suns' offer sheet, Gordon said he hoped to play for Phoenix, but that did not deter New Orleans from retaining his rights.

"Eric is a phenomenal player that we are thrilled to have in our organization," Demps said.

Gordon, meanwhile, sounded more conciliatory in a statement released by the Hornets.

"There is always a business element to the NBA when dealing with contracts, but I never lost my appreciation for New Orleans," Gordon said. "I look forward to giving my very best on the court this season to make our team successful."

Gordon was limited to nine games last season because of a bruised right knee that required minor surgery. However, he averaged a team-high 20.6 points, and New Orleans was 6-3 when he played.

The Hornets acquired Gordon shortly before last season in a multiplayer trade that sent All-Star point guard Chris Paul to the Los Angeles Clippers.

In four seasons in the NBA, Gordon has never averaged fewer than the 16.1 points per game he scored as a rookie.

In this third season, injuries limited him to 56 games with the Clippers, but he averaged 22.3 points.

He was invited to try out for the 2012 US Olympic team and narrowly missed the cut, with Oklahoma City's James Harden edging him out for one of the final spots.

Demps and Williams never wavered in saying Gordon was New Orleans' best player and a key part of the club's long-term future.
    http://www.nba.com/2012/news/07/14/g...s=iref:nbahpt2

That's your opinion...
    Fisher: elected by the entire NBA to represent the players in the union, respected locker room guy for any team he's played for, only person who could actually get through to Kobe.

Kobe: Repeatedly throws teammates under the bus, once demanded an immediate trade a la Dwight, completely ignores coaches orders at times and undermines what the coach wants done on the court

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Looks like Mr. Demps and Monty worked their magic in their meeting with EJ.

Good to have him back. Hopefully he learned to watch what he says in front of the camera.
    All they did was match the offer. No magic tricks necessary. Gordon's only play to get out of dodge was to sign the QO he didn't want to risk the money. It's so confusing why he would make those statements in the 1st place. He had to know barring a sign and trade he would be right back here.

AD for MVP 2016! pmarpelicansfan's Avatar
    Kobe: Repeatedly throws teammates under the bus, once demanded an immediate trade a la Dwight, completely ignores coaches orders at times and undermines what the coach wants done on the court

LOL!!!

JJ deal was the most confusing to me. All other moves have been solid.

can't understand why we didn't bid for Haywood or Darko at the prices these guys are going for.

Fisher: elected by the entire NBA to represent the players in the union, respected locker room guy for any team he's played for, only person who could actually get through to Kobe.

Derek Fisher is NO WHERE close to the talent level of Austin Rivers regardless of how many championships he has and Eric Gordon does not possess the physical talent or the leadership ability of a Kobe Bryant. I don't even know why you are even using those players as an equal comparison to this current situation to begin with?

Derek Fisher is NO WHERE close to the talent level of Austin Rivers regardless of how many championships he has and Eric Gordon does not possess the physical talent or the leadership ability of a Kobe Bryant. I don't even know why you are even using those players as an equal comparison to this current situation to begin with?
    I'm just saying that just because a player is (debatably) a better leader, doesn't mean that he is the better player. That was just the most extreme example I could think of to make my point.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcNOLA View Post
    When was the last time Oden has seen the court? (Non-rhetorical; I'm just curious to know)

Thread Information