Pelicans Report

View Poll Results: How should FA be done?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blind

4 22.22%
  • Bidding

14 77.78%

Thread: How should FA be done?

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar

How should FA be done?

Please vote for which type of free agency you'd like to see:

A- Blind. In this method every GM will pm me any offers they wish to make. All offers will be confidential (unless you wish to share your bids with other GM's), and after so many days pass those FA's who've been bid on will be processed.

B- Bidding. In this method every player gets their own thread so all offers are made public. After 24 hours of a thread not being posted in, the bids will be processed.

You CAN NOT change your vote in the poll.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    A
    2013-1014 is the season the Pelicans fanbase grows!!!!

Im leaning on the blind bid, how will the loyalty, play for winner and greed attribute play on this?

All those questions matter to me.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Depends. A good bit of it played in already with dealing on if a player wanted to return to a team or wanted to get a bigger deal elsewhere.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Is there a max salary that we can offer? We don't want people who have a bunch of scrubs grabbing two allstars (not necessarily this year) by throwing max at them, do we? Or those tards that you would see in Fantasy Football Auction drafts... I'm leaning towards blind, but havent voted yet

There's a salary and exceptions. Of you're over the cap
    You'll have exceptions if you're under you'll have cap room and exceptions once
    Your reach the cap I'd guess. Also I'd assume you can offer the min to anyone no matter your cap situation.

Player Contract Rules

How much a player can be offerered by a team is determined by a number of rules.

If a player is signing with a new team:

1) The contract can be for up to 6 seasons.

2) The player can receive a raise each year of up to 10% of the value of the first year of the contract.

3) The maximum value of the first year of the contract is the smaller of the amount of cap room the team has and the maximum salary the player can receive based up his experience in the league(see table below).

If a player is resigning with his previous team and has 3 or more bird years:

1) The contract can be for up to 7 seasons.

2) The player can receive a raise each year of up to 12.5% of the value of the first year of the contract

3) The player can receive the larger of the maximum salary based on his experience and 120% of his previous salary in the first year of the contract.

If a player is resigning with his previous team and has less than bird years:

1) The contract can be for up to 6 seasons.

2) The player can receive a raise each year of up to 10% of the value of the first year of the contract.

3) The player can receive the larger of the team's salary cap room(up to the maximum salary) and 120% of his previous salary in the first year of the contract.

Teams over the salary cap also may offer a player one of their two salary cap exceptions:

1) Mid Exception - one-year offer of $4,500,000

2) Low Exception - one-year offer of $1,200,000

Each exception may only be used once per season.

Bird Years:

Bird years are the number of seasons a player has gone without changing teams via free agency. When a player is traded, he maintains his bird years.

Salary based on experience:

Exp Min Max
    0 $332,817 $10,625,000
    1 $465,850 $10,625,000
    2 $540,850 $10,625,000
    3 $565,850 $10,625,000
    4 $590,850 $10,625,000
    5 $653,350 $10,625,000
    6 $715,850 $10,625,000
    7 $778,350 $12,750,000
    8 $840,850 $12,750,000
    9 $965,850 $12,750,000
    10+ $1,000,000 $14,875,000

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    Is there a max salary that we can offer? We don't want people who have a bunch of scrubs grabbing two allstars (not necessarily this year) by throwing max at them, do we? Or those tards that you would see in Fantasy Football Auction drafts... I'm leaning towards blind, but havent voted yet
    Blind is a lot of work and we would get a lot of ridiculous steals, that would almost make FA like amnesty wire. In real life every team knows what somebody offered. why not just enter the best offer by every team but do it publicly, whose to say a FA wouldn't prefer 3 years 21 million over 4 years 26 million? let the game do that.

CP3 has deceitful eyes ohnosono's Avatar
    looks like bidding is gonna win.

Teams over the salary cap also may offer a player one of their two salary cap exceptions:

1) Mid Exception - one-year offer of $4,500,000

2) Low Exception - one-year offer of $1,200,000

Each exception may only be used once per season.

Bird Years:

Bird years are the number of seasons a player has gone without changing teams via free agency. When a player is traded, he maintains his bird years.
    You can only use one exception? why would anyone use the 1.2 million one?

i guess bidding is good enough

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    You can only use one exception? why would anyone use the 1.2 million one?
    From my understanding you can use both exceptions, but you can only use each one once.

CP3 has deceitful eyes ohnosono's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post
    From my understanding you can use both exceptions, but you can only use each one once.
    Yep, really weak free agent class though. The prized free agents will be young bench players.

Geaux Hornets! Contributor PrepP's Avatar
    I vote option B - public bidding

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    just curious, what happens if you offer a player say 1 year 5 million, but someone else offers him 2 years 7 million. Do you get the player since you're paying more annually, or does the other person get the player since they're committing more overall?

Can use the MLE if im 1 mil below the cap?

Ok how about this. I looked at how FA works this morning and this is what I came up with.

We do a public "bidding" type of deal, but I put all the offers for the player into the game and whoever the player wants is where he goes.

CP, that's pretty amazing news

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Sweet!

I liked that idea as well.

Here's the problem I have with the two we've previously discussed.

In the private offers one, you really don't know what you should offer a player. I've offered guys before just to find out someone else offered them like two or three million more PER year.

In the bidding style, it's kind of dumb because a lot of guys are overpaid because since it's public people don't want to lose out on a guy. So you'll have people sitting here, "5.0 million, 5.2 million, 5.4, 5.5" and so on, and it will go on for days until the guy who isn't a max player gets damn near the max.

So I think in the way I suggested above, you would know what type of offers other GM's are putting in, and you can decide if a guy is worth that or not.

Yeah but thats how the NBA works. See Igudola, Rudy Gay, Eric Gordon Nick Batum Eddie Curry etc. Someone wants to eat up their salary for a middling player, that's their cap to manage. I DO think there should be some sort of reward for making the playoffs under the cap.

Thread Information