Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Davis is on the active roster for tonight's Team USA game

I for one was impressed. Loved his quickness, although he did seem a little winded there.
    His help defense was good (it'll get better especially playing with chandler).
    Effort was great.
    Had no idea he could shoot 3's...yea yea i know "international 3" but whatever its a 3 none the less in the game he was playing.
    Also LOVED the "Passion and Intensity"!
    Kids gonna be GREAT!
    BOW TO THE BROW!

Will they be reairing this game? I watched first half and some of the third and figured he wouldnt play so I went to bed. Bummed I missed AD

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by MistaWhoDat; 07-13-2012 at 08:23 AM.

Outlandishly Optimistic... 2poor's Avatar
    that 16 year old from the DR looked awkward and clunky, I scoff at anyone saying he was going play-for-play for AD.

Those who were not aware of his shooting touch... I believe he was a 6'3" guard for most of high school until having a HUGE growth spurt, so that's why we see glimpses of his stroke, ball handling, etc.

edit: ESPN story detailing

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recru...ory?id=5894839
    Never looking back...or too far in front of me - the present is a gift, and I just wanna BEE.

If they reair it, which they might on NBA tv, just watch the last nine or eight minutes of the game. Davis looks like he gets tired pretty quick, but he shows flashes of brilliance. Hopefully he gets more playing time in London. Bu the end of this game got me very pumped up for the season.
    follow me @SportsPillowTlk . I blog and have a podcast about Gulf Coast Sports, Saint, Texans, Rockets, Hornets, LSU, Cougars, Longhorns, NBA, NFL, MLB, Astros

^^^ You'd probably get a little tired pretty quick too if you haven't been in real game action in a while. It would also be understandable for him to be a bit nervous. He hasn't played in a while AND he was playing with Team USA. He said in the article that Melo told him to take deep breaths. And I'm guessing that's when he just loosened up and started having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
    He was definitely nervous at first, but he took over the game in the last 5 minutes. I guess you also missed the steal that he made with go-go gadget arms and ran the floor all the way only to draw the foul at the other end.
    I definitely saw nerves. I saw the steal and liked that area of his game. But as one poster said, 9 points in 10 minutes is good I guess, but look at the competition. Wasn't he being guarded by a high schooler? Opinions are opinions, but I'll have to see more against the bigs from Spain.

Quote Originally Posted by VA_Hornet View Post
    I definitely saw nerves. I saw the steal and liked that area of his game. But as one poster said, 9 points in 10 minutes is good I guess, but look at the competition. Wasn't he being guarded by a high schooler? Opinions are opinions, but I'll have to see more against the bigs from Spain.
    He looked pretty good. Was always at the rim when the ball was in the air ready for the rebound or to tap it in. Granted it was against the Dominican Republic but he was pretty contested on his 4 shots. He got a lot done with the opportunities he had. Can't wait to see him play on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by WeatherNLU View Post
    Congrats to the BROW.....but I was hoping to see him with our young guys. Of course, this is the oppurtunity of a lifetime for him. Guess Blakey Wakey hurt his knee trying to dunk on someone. What a scrub.
    I lol'd

AD is 19... playing on the same team with some of (hands-down) the BEST players in the WORLD. Of course he's gonna be nervous... anybody in his situation would be. but he calmed down and did WORK once he settled.

On defense he seems to bait guys into taking shots, then he goes up and tries to block. He did that on somebody's lay-up... he ALMOST got it too but the lay-up went in (I think he got a piece of it).

So people are downplaying the competition. What if Davis would've gone out there and just totally stunk it up? Then these people would be saying "dang, he looked like a scrub and couldn't even do anything against the DR?" Is it his fault he was playing against a 16 year old? I'm assuming the 16 year old must be some kind of good seeing as he's playing for his national team. Or does the DR just put any scrub 16 year old on their team?

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    So people are downplaying the competition. What if Davis would've gone out there and just totally stunk it up? Then these people would be saying "dang, he looked like a scrub and couldn't even do anything against the DR?" Is it his fault he was playing against a 16 year old? I'm assuming the 16 year old must be some kind of good seeing as he's playing for his national team. Or does the DR just put any scrub 16 year old on their team?
    It doesn't matter who he plays against, but the Dominican Republic is nowhere near Spain in terms of talent. He played good with the opportunities he was given. If he would have had a Russell Westbrook night where he takes every shot and misses 75% of them, then yes I would be worried.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    I agree. I think the thng we're excited about is things that the level of competition didn't matter. IE after hearing he's weak on offense he looked good there. His shooting stroke looked great, no hitch, and a nice true jump shot. That's at least what i'm excited about.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Davis View Post
    It doesn't matter who he plays against, but the Dominican Republic is nowhere near Spain in terms of talent. He played good with the opportunities he was given. If he would have had a Russell Westbrook night where he takes every shot and misses 75% of them, then yes I would be worried.
    Oh believe me, I know the DR is nowhere near Spain in terms of talent. And I agree, he played good with the opportunity he was given. I mean he had to start somewhere right?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Davis View Post
    Spain is the number 2 team in the world. Hard to compare anyone to them IMO. It's like saying the Hornets weren't as talented as the heat last year but discounting Lebron dropping a triple dub on us.

Davis' coach at Kentucky & Dominican Republic coach John Calipari said being around Olympic team will push Davis' career ahead 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Davis' coach at Kentucky & Dominican Republic coach John Calipari said being around Olympic team will push Davis' career ahead 2 years.
    I thought it was cool for Calipari to say he'd go to London to support Davis.

Also, here's what Monty said on Davis' experience.

“We’ve got to wait and see; we haven’t talked to the USA people yet, so it’s not official,” Williams said. “I don’t want to talk in hypotheticals, but any time you get a chance to play around all that talent, I don’t care who you are, it’s going to have a positive effect on you.

I agree with this. Hell it seemed to push Durant's career ahead as well? He came back from the Olympics even more of a BEAST then before.
    He'll learn how to be a true pro and go out and beast every game from these guys.
    He'll also learn that big market teams are the best...... ;p /sarcasm

Calipari is such a stupid one, it's obvious davis'd be better served playing w/ summer league prospects than olympics ones /sarcasm

Or maybe /daseriousthrone

The huge element to me, is before his rookie season Davis will see and be able to adjust to NBA speed at the highest level in those practices. He'll get confidence that he can play with that level of player. Those two elements are huge in a players devleopment.

The huge element to me, is before his rookie season Davis will see and be able to adjust to NBA speed at the highest level in those practices. He'll get confidence that he can play with that level of player. Those two elements are huge in a players devleopment.
    I agree, he will have a chance to visualize how to use his skill-set against NBA caliber players/athletes. He finally will get a chance to use his skills, but he will have this time to learn how to use them effectively.

for instance, in college the lanes are so packed, but there were many instances where he beat his man off the dribble.
    Teams could try and stop this with their PF, but that will lead to their center having to go to the freaggin Netherlands to guard Ryan Anderson.

Man, we don't need Eric Gordon. We need him at his best! And we need two more solid players.

BUILDING a team is for the birds. The window is officially open now. Ecspecially with HIM on a rookie deal.

would be nice

Vasquez, Rivers, quick true PG(Augustin)
    Gordon, Mayo, Henry
    Aminu, Miller
    Anderson, Brand
    Davis, J. Smith

fullcourtpress: why do you want Mayo? He's a terrible player IMO, and he's probably gonna be overpaid wherever he goes...

All I know is, somewhere, Eric Gordon is not happy about all this. I mean, according to Eric Gordon, the only big we have on our roster is Jason Smith?

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    That 3 and 1 made me so happy I was laughing my butt off. And the whole bench was laughing with him, too it was good times.

But hey, summer league is 10 times more experience, he should be there instead of wasting his time with these superstars.
    Wherehappens.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Along with Kevin Durant who hit virtually every 3 he took from international range. Does that mean anything less of his NBA skills?

You and anyone can make the leap of logic if you want, not my concern (also not indicting you just saying), but that game was garbage time from the tipoff. I saw Anthony Davis look like he belonged in that limited time, when, mind you, no one on our team was really taking it easy. We could've coasted. We didn't. Coach K specifically told the team not to worry about the score and to keep playing hard all throughout.

Can't wait to see what else he does with more time.
    I'm not downplaying the game as a whole. I loved what I saw from Davis and it just furthered my belief that he will be a beast once he gets to the League. The only thing I was commenting on, which I guess I should have specified, was that I think the three that he hit was an anomaly and that 3 point shooting will almost definitely not be in his NBA repertoire. People were jumping a little overboard saying that we now have the best shooting frontcourt in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    I'm not downplaying the game as a whole. I loved what I saw from Davis and it just furthered my belief that he will be a beast once he gets to the League. The only thing I was commenting on, which I guess I should have specified, was that I think the three that he hit was an anomaly and that 3 point shooting will almost definitely not be in his NBA repertoire. People were jumping a little overboard saying that we now have the best shooting frontcourt in the NBA.
    It's only an anomaly though in that he probably won't be doing that for the Hornets, not that he CAN'T do it, just that he most likely won't be doing it as a Hornet.

ETA: Pretty cool to know that he CAN do it though.

Thread Information