Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hornets Interested in OJ Mayo?

Rumor Hornets Interested in OJ Mayo?

O.J. Mayo
    2013 Age: 25 | 2012 Team: Memphis Grizzlies
    Interested teams: Indiana Pacers, New Orleans Hornets, Houston Rockets
    Mayo

Mayo has never really delivered on the potential scouts saw in him when he was the nation's top high school prospect in 2007 (ranking ahead of Derrick Rose, James Harden, Blake Griffin, Kevin Love and Eric Gordon, among others) and the 3rd overall pick in the 2008 draft (taken directly before Russell Westbrook). He's produced average-at-best numbers thus far in his pro career.

Despite that track record, though, Mayo is still just 25 and is coming off a season in which he met the benchmarks that usually precede a breakout year. Granted, you could have said the same thing about Mayo going into 2011 (he instead turned in a mediocre season), but he's a more well-rounded player now, and at the very least, a team will get value from his sheer durability -- he has only missed 11 games in his four-year NBA career. Another bonus is that gaudy recruiting ranking, since there's evidence that a player's standing out of high school does have some lasting predictive power for his NBA ceiling. If Mayo is ever going to deliver on that promise, 2013 is probably the year he starts doing it.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story...ak-next-season

Hall of Famer Contributor scedotal's Avatar
    I would take Mayo over Gordon at this point. Is he unrestricted?

Mayo is one of my favorite players. I would love to pick him up.

Quote Originally Posted by scedotal View Post
    I would take Mayo over Gordon at this point. Is he unrestricted?
    Yes, he's unrestricted.

If he gets his head straight, he wouldn't be that far of a step down from Gordon. His defense has improved quite a bit. Him signing would make losing to a S&T Gordon easier to swallow

+ Scoring wing with accurate jumper. Good off curls. More scorer than shooter.

+ Good ball handler but lacks burst. Average passer. Has strength to finish at rim.

+ Average at best defensively. Struggles against size, doesn't always play hard.

Mayo had a rough year that included a drug suspension, a benching and an in-flight butt-kicking from teammate Tony Allen. Mayo's shooting numbers also continued their puzzling downward trajectory, as he set career lows in shooting from the field, on 3s and at the line. He landed a mere 58th out of 66 shooting guards in TS%, a disastrous standing for a player whose shooting ability is his main differentiating talent.

Mayo, surprisingly, didn't shoot 3s particularly often, ranking 32nd in 3-point attempts per minute despite playing for a team that desperately needed a steady perimeter threat. He didn't shoot well on long 2s either (37.8 percent), although he is very good coming off left-side curls going to his right. One suspects his shooting numbers will right themselves this season.

Mayo fans sometimes talk him up as a point guard, but frankly, I don't see it. He's a good ball handler but has trouble beating 2s off the dribble, let alone 1s, and he doesn't have much in the way of court vision. He could succeed at playing the point only as a caretaker and spot-up shooter, the way the Lakers use their point guards.

Defensively, Mayo doesn't always play hard and lacks size, but he picked up his energy toward the end of the season and proved useful against Oklahoma City's Russell Westbrook in the playoffs. On the other hand, his regular-season production was pretty awful -- opposing shooting guards posted a 19.6 PER against him, and Synergy ranked Mayo near the bottom of the shooting guard heap.

It really sounds like Demps and co. are insuring themselves against Gordon's injury history or potential departure. With Gordon and Mayo, we'd have 5 quality guards so someone would be otw out, I'd think it Vasquez. Going after all these SG's really makes me wonder though. There's only 96 realistic minutes to split between Rivers/Gordon/Jack/Vasquez/Mayo (or other 5th guard)?

I wouldn't mind signing him and seeing what Monty can make of him. The potential is there. It would take the edge off the whole Gordon situation.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Rather Gordon.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ImSorryMonty View Post
    It really sounds like Demps and co. are insuring themselves against Gordon's injury history or potential departure. With Gordon and Mayo, we'd have 5 quality guards so someone would be otw out, I'd think it Vasquez. Going after all these SG's really makes me wonder though. There's only 96 realistic minutes to split between Rivers/Gordon/Jack/Vasquez/Mayo (or other 5th guard)?
    They are not trying to put Mayo on a roster that includes Gordon. I can guarentee you that much.

depends on the price, like i said we are years away from competing and while mayo is nowhere near gordon he atleast has the potential to be and monty could bring it out of him

OJ 6 mil > Gordon 14 mil

Need to see what happens with Gordon first, but if River truely will be our 1, I like it. Spells the end of Jack though assuming Gordon stays.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    If we could somehow secure a big by trading Gordon, signing Mayo would be a homerun. Maybe a Gortat, maybe a Brook Lopez, whomever. Rivers, Mayo, Aminu, Davis and quality big would definitely have good long term potential.

Smart money would be on Rivers and Mayo absolutely killing each other way before they ever meet their potential.

He has talent. He's regressed the last two seasons for whatever reason. Shooting has gone down across the board. Defense is ok at best. Not sure if he's willing to take in a backup role. Doubt he has. Could be an option if Gordon is not coming back. I'm not a huge fan of him. Doesn't do anything really well, but I do think he has talent and would look to bring him in if Gordon does not return. Isn't that great in creating his own shot either and not great in playing off the ball. Has potential to be a really good defender and be versatile.

As a starter, maybe a one year 8-9 million deal. As a backup to Gordon, one year 6 million at the most. If Gordon is back, he won't come here as a backup.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

If Jeff Green can get 9 million a year as a backup in Boston, I wonder how much Mayo can get.

He seems like too much of a streaky shooter- he routinely puts up those 2-12 FG nights that can just kill you in games. With Memphis' size inside, you'd figure he'd have been getting some decent looks during the past couple of seasons..
    "I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 auto-gyro?"

Monty would turn this guy into an All-Star. Lionel Hollins is nowhere near as good a coach as Monty. If we had Randolph and Gasol on our roster, I know we would've had two rings by now.

Quote Originally Posted by TPDG22 View Post
    Monty would turn this guy into an All-Star. Lionel Hollins is nowhere near as good a coach as Monty. If we had Randolph and Gasol on our roster, I know we would've had two rings by now.
    I'd love to agree with you, but I can't. Don't think a team of Gasol and Randolph is better than the Heat at all.

I would rather Gordon.

If the Hornets are interested in OJ Mayo (not sure if they are anyways) they view him as having a James Harden type role off the bench, not a potential replacement for Gordon.

If gordon is traded, i'll would take him. Mayo is a beast but needs to get humble. Monty can do the job and allow him to bloom as a player. I'm not sure how it would work out with rivers on the team since they are NOW similar player. But I would not mind giving Monty a chance to make it work.

Mayo has always irkede as a player. He can do so much if he wanted to but seems much more comfortable as a 6th man who scores during trash minutes of a game.

If we end up having to trade Gordon, I think Mayo would be a nice replacement at a reasonable price. If we can get him for say 3 years/$20 million, I would take that and see what he can do as our starting 2. He was pretty solid in his first couple of years in Memphis. He is not the talent of Gordon, but hopefully would be willing to play on a team.

Gordon >> Mayo.

Mayo is the closest player to JR Smith. Very out of control and he's asking for lot of money. I only want him for a good deal ( under 8M a year)

Trade Gordon for Kendall Marshall and the best center we can get (even if it has to include another team)
    and sign Mayo

hmmmmmm.

Marshall, Vasquez/Jack, Rivers
    Mayo, Rivers, G. Greene, Henry
    Aminu, G. Greene, Anthony Randolph
    Anthony Davis, Jason Smith, Anthony Randolpn, Jason Smith, Ayon
    Gortat or Kaman-like starting center, Jason Smith, Ayon

Rivers
    Mayo
    G. Greene
    Anthony Smith
    Jason Smith
    would be a good offensive combo near the end

Jack
    G. Greene
    Aminu
    Anthony Randolph
    Anthony Davis

could lock-em up for awhile
    thats's.... 13 I think. I believe they will change this roster, the vets, immensly via trades. They've been active since arrival.

Thread Information