Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 48 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2012 Free Agency Thread/All Non-Hornets FA/trade posts here {merged}

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar

NBA Official 2012 Free Agency Thread/All Non-Hornets FA/trade posts here {merged}

ESPN NBA - Nets reach verbal agreement on 4-year, $40M deal with Gerald Wallace, sources tell ESPN.com

NBA Official 2012 Free Agency Thread/All Non-Hornets FA posts here {merged}

Didn't see one of these already, unless there's a sticky. If so, mods please merge.
    Thought we could report deal rumors and what not.

Gerald Wallace closing in on a 4 year- $40 mil. deal with the Nets.

Have at it!

KG - 3yr/34M

WTF are the Nets doing?

They are in a market FAs might actually want to go to, and they overpay a 30 year old with a FOUR year deal?
    Last edited by greewe; 07-01-2012 at 10:15 AM.

"Sources confirmed that the Raptors are likely to offer Steve Nash a deal that pays approximately $12 million annually, though it remains to be seen whether it is for three guaranteed years or two years with a team option in the third season."

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...medium=twitter
    Last edited by GREEK HORNET; 07-01-2012 at 10:15 AM.
    "Just bring him in here, I’m going to block everything"

I don't think this affects their ability to get Dwight negatively, if that's what they want. They are just locking the guy up.

Now they have proof that they have someone on their team that can play.

About to have Deron Williams Gerald Wallace Joe Johnson and Dwight Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post

There's this thing called the luxury tax...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Not_sure_if_serious.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	4059  

Joe Johnson? Is that hot off the press?..
    "I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 auto-gyro?"

Their owner could easily afford the luxury tax.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

It's the rumor. And the guy with the cute joker picture, it's this thing called a multi billionaire

Being over the tax restricts their ability to participate in the player markets besides causing financial penalties.

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    Being over the tax restricts their ability to participate in the player markets besides causing financial penalties.
    It gives them a smaller midlevel.

More restrictive than that.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    If Williams is on his way back, good move. If Williams bolts for Dallas (doubt that happens), awful move.
    @DanielVeuleman

Williams, Wallace and Howard??? Damn that would be nuts.

More restrictive than that.
    Not a ton more.

23. Other than financial penalties, are there restrictions on taxpaying teams?

In addition to the tax payments described in question number 21, taxpaying teams have the following restrictions. Note that most of these restrictions aren't triggered unless the team would be over the "apron" -- the point $4 million above the tax level -- following a signing or trade.

Teams above the apron cannot use the Bi-Annual exception (see question number 25).
    Teams above the apron have a smaller Mid-Level exception (see question number 25). Teams above the apron can offer contracts no longer than three years, while other teams can offer four. The starting salary is also lower (for example, in 2011-12 it is $3 million for teams above the apron, versus $5 million for other teams).
    Taxpaying teams can acquire less salary in a simultaneous trade (see question number 81).
    Starting in 2013-14, teams above the apron cannot receive a player in a sign-and-trade transaction (see question number 88).
    Teams above the apron do not have the same protections under the Gilbert Arenas provision (see question number 44). Under the Arenas provision other teams can offer restricted free agents salaries starting at the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception. If a team with the right of first refusal does not have Early Bird rights to the player and is over the apron, it will have only the smaller Taxpayer Mid-Level exception at its disposal, and cannot match an offer for the full Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception.
    In addition, taxpaying teams do not receive a distribution from the leaguewide tax fund. However, they do receive a distribution from the escrow fund (see question number 22).

I disagree on your weight measurement.

So do the Lakers and other teams dumping salary.

I think the effects of these subtle seeming moves, the dance with the line and the apron, are truly underappreciated by those who don't dig into the cap, which is difficult, boring, and thankless work.

The Nets are dumb, they should have traded for johnson because the hawks would have to give up stuff because of his terrible contract, and then used whatever the Hawks gave up (Joe Johnson/Teague/1st round pick) or simply make it a three team trade where ATL has to take back Hedo. Why overpay a guy? Unless maybe Orlando wants him...

It's the rumor. And the guy with the cute joker picture, it's this thing called a multi billionaire
    You're right. Any team with a rich owner can just pay Joe Johnson's insane salary, pay Deron and Dwight max contracts, pay Wallace $10 mil a year, AND pay the remainder of a roster. Championship!

Thanks for putting me in my place guys. Back to playing 2k for me!

Quote Originally Posted by greewe View Post
    WTF are the Nets doing?
    I think they are pretty sure they're getting Dwight. Dwight has the union taking the league to court right now to try and un opt in his opt in so he's a FA now. He says promises were made to get him to sign the optin that were not kept. They fired the coach and GM and he knew what the cap space/trade assets were, so unless they promised him something specific like Phil Jackson, I'm not sure what argument he'd have.

I disagree on your weight measurement.

So do the Lakers and other teams dumping salary.

I think the effects of these subtle seeming moves, the dance with the line and the apron, are truly underappreciated by those who don't dig into the cap, which is difficult, boring, and thankless work.
    The Lakers are a different point than the Nets. The Buss family's money comes strictly from the Lakers, not anywhere else. Also the new CBA took a huge chunk out of the the new TV deal they just made. That's not true for the Net's ownership. I get that billionaires aren't billionaires because they **** away millions into an investment that will lose them money, but it's too early to say their owner won't be willing to move well over the cap to field a dominant team. All indications thus far are that they will.
    Last edited by BallSoHard; 07-01-2012 at 11:51 AM.

The Lakers are a different point than the Nets. The Buss family's money comes strictly from the Lakers, not anywhere else. Also the new CBA took a huge chunk out of the the new TV deal they just made. That's not true for the Net's ownership. I get that billionaires aren't billionaires because they **** away millions into an investment that will lose them money, but it's too early to say their owner won't be willing to move well over the cap to feild a dominant team. All indications thus far are that they will.
    See what I mean about dismissing the implications for activity in player markets?

Ray Allen offers

Celtics, Heat, and Grizzlies have all made Ray Allen their top target. Heat reportedly offered the $3 million exception, the Grizzlies offering a $5 million exception and Celtics willing to offer 2 years, $12 million.

He will probably choose less money to play for the heat.

Thread Information