Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Thread: The rebrand and name change thread part 4

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    It's a classy sig, is what it is.

Hell, pun intended, I'm down for Voodoo being our name just so to see WDC go on a crusade.
    I couldn't agree more
    Wherehappens.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GameBreaker View Post
    I'm meh about the Voodoo name, but anything is better than the Char....I mean New Orleans Hornets!
    Pelicans!

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    Pelicans!
    Wish he would just skip the formalities and go ahead and make the obvious choice.
    I once had some of the worst grits and drippings in the Queen City

Maybe it's because I'm not from New Orleans and don't have a grasp on the local themes, but I have no idea why anybody would want to name their team the Pelicans.

No, WDC, he'd just be alienating you.
    No, that name would be alieniating the casual banbase from the people on the North shore. When the Hornets get good, it will also be a turnoff to the future fans we no longer have. The name has an extremely negative meaning to it and any smart business is not going re-brand his NBA team a name that is offensive to a significant share of his fanbase.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatChristian View Post
    No, that name would be alieniating the casual banbase from the people on the North shore. When the Hornets get good, it will also be a turnoff to the future fans we no longer have. The name has an extremely negative meaning to it and any smart business is not going re-brand his NBA team a name that is offensive to a significant share of his fanbase.
    You keep going on about how Benson wouldn't re-brand his NBA team that name...WHEN HE'S ALREADY TRIED TO BUY THE NAME!

And lest we forget, HE ORIGINALLY NAMED HIS AFL TEAM THE VOODOO. You don't like the name. Fine, it's okay. You don't have to. You can even justify your dislike with your religious beliefs.

But you're projecting your own beliefs onto others and blatantly ignoring every single fact pushed your way. I mean, "extremely negative meaning to it"? Lemme guess your only experience to Voodoo is something about people shoving needles into dolls and skinny men with big purple n black top hats turning people into frogs?

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Just put him on ignore, already. The guy is obviously a troll and why he's still allowed to post is beyond me.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

What will the colors probably be?

It is anyone's guess.

Devil red and black.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    Devil red and black.
    Indeed. Red like the blood of the innocents and black like the emptiness in all the souls of people who foot for a team with such a vile name.

I like NOLA Knights

In my opinion, the fact of the matter is that Eman's opinion of what a fact is differs from the factual opinions of others.

Consider your ways, Eman, or you will Bourre both spiritually and realityly.

Last edited by Eman5805; 07-21-2012 at 04:18 PM.

[IMG]http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/004/592/my-brain-is-full-of-****.jpg[/IMG]
    lol

More news on this front (crediting Migle posting at NolaSportsKrewe.com):

A couple of weeks ago the AFL and the AFLPU had agreed to a new CBA that would raise league pay and last through the 2017 season. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on who you're pulling for here), the deal has begun to fall apart and it appears both sides need to get back to the table to negotiate again. But, as if the AFL wasn't already a joke as it is, the New Orleans Voodoo Owner Dan Newman took to twitter earlier today to fight with the director of the AFL Players Union.
    (Tweets available at the link)

http://www.nolasportskrewe.com/showthread.php?t=1631

UP, off the top of your head, is a brand more valuable when it is a part of an active, stable league or more valuable when it is not a part of such a thing?

Bear in mind, the Spirits of St. Louis are not valuable as a brand, but due to their hook into the TV deal.

Also, who was the first owner to recognize the fate of the original AFL?

Can you testify?

/puts on thinking cap

To answer the second question first: Tom Benson. In regards to value surely the active brand is not only more valuable to Newman/the AFL and, additionally, they have more leverage so long as the league is viable/in operations. Assuming the major goals of a sports brand are to: 1) sell tickets/sponsorships and 2) sell merchandise; an inactive/on strike league is apt to do very poorly in both of those departments. So you can either take the potentially zero money from owning or a few million from selling it.

Benson, nearing the end of his life (statistically speaking) has unlimited resources. Newman, who I believe is middle age or so, does not. Nor does the AFL. Also another thing to keep in mind, it isn't just Benson and Lauscha and the inner circle doing the negotiations. Benson hired lawyers from Covington and Burling (one of the most elite law firms in the world) to handle the negotiations/sale of the Hornets with the NBA. I'm sure he has a small army of mercenary lawyers working on this, too. If Benson really wants the Voodoo name I think it'll happen in August or not at all.
    Last edited by Unknown Poster; 07-21-2012 at 06:39 PM.

Sounds right.

Thanks.

* I have to admit I had to Google the St. Louis/NBA television deal thing. That one is right up there with George Lucas demanding 100% of Star Wars' merchandising rights and Fox shrugging and agreeing without a care.
    Last edited by Unknown Poster; 07-21-2012 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster View Post
    Just put him on ignore, already. The guy is obviously a troll and why he's still allowed to post is beyond me.
    I encourage any of you pro voodoo people to put me on ignore. It's interesting that because I disagree with witchcraft and that twisted name then I'm a troll. I'm not apologizing for wanting my basketball team to have a name that isn't some sick ritual.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatChristian View Post
    I encourage any of you pro voodoo people to put me on ignore. It's interesting that because I disagree with witchcraft and that twisted name then I'm a troll. I'm not apologizing for wanting my basketball team to have a name that isn't some sick ritual.
    You get that name because you are yapping without actually interating with the other people.

You think people agree with me? Child, check your notes. But, I interact with them, acknowledge their points, and vice versa. I've had dust ups with folks here and elsewhere, but in the end, we are actually talking and communicating.

Try it, and you may see some positive results.

UP, I came across researching the other brands. It's a fantastic story. Absolutely fantastic. And the money actually comes from the ABA 4 and none others. Amazing.

May the force be with your parallel.

Question... let's say they purchase the Voodoo. rarely is it seen that a team decides on a name without leaving it up to the fans right?

Correct me if I'm wrong please, but even dating back to the hornets original expansion there was a vote involving a handful of names and i know for sure the same happened with the bobcats & thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by CP3nDX30 View Post
    Question... let's say they purchase the Voodoo. rarely is it seen that a team decides on a name without leaving it up to the fans right?

Correct me if I'm wrong please, but even dating back to the hornets original expansion there was a vote involving a handful of names and i know for sure the same happened with the bobcats & thunder.
    Although there is much publicity to be gained from holding a contest I doubt Benson is trying to buy the name just to put it in his pocket. Even if a vote is held I'd bet anything it's by the organization itself and the results will be cooked to have Voodoo as the winner, anyway. Again, that is if he is still interested/negotiating for the name.

Of course, they could just not have a vote at all. I doubt anyone would really complain. In the end, it's not really a democracy.

Fans voted for Voodoo back in the day.

Read up on the contest for the Texans. Sham.

Wizards? I'm sure it won... because Seadogs and Dragons were among the competitors.

Billionaires get their way. The rest is illusion.

Thread Information