Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Thread: The rebrand and name change thread part 4

New Orleans Crescents

Especially since the Suns are now an enemy.
    Support Louisiana businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdub81 View Post
    I like Pelicans and Krewe. Either one is unique, not used in any pro sport, marketable, local and would have a unique color scheme in the league. More importantly, it will be OURS and that's all myself and most of us wanted in the first place.
    I disagree that Krewe would be considered marketable. Sure, it's marketable in OUR area. But the NBA wants names are are marketable nationally and internationally. And, frankly, no one outside of our little Mardi Gras universe has any idea of what that means.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadmoor74 View Post
    I disagree that Krewe would be considered marketable. Sure, it's marketable in OUR area. But the NBA wants names are are marketable nationally and internationally. And, frankly, no one outside of our little Mardi Gras universe has any idea of what that means.
    What's a Knickerbocker?

The Artist    Contributor   
    I like that little notion of being misunderstood. It goes well with our already viewed exsistence here anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    What's a Knickerbocker?
    That's different and you know it. Do you really think if a New York team was rebranding they would have chosen "the Knicks?" That name was chosen decades ago, in a different era, and has created a marketing stream for itself over time, not unlike "the Celtics."

Global marketing was non existent in the early days of American professional sports. The Cleveland Browns? Really?

New Orleans Corsairs.

That's different and you know it. Do you really think if a New York team was rebranding they would have chosen "the Knicks?" That name was chosen decades ago, in a different era, and has created a marketing stream for itself over time, not unlike "the Celtics."

Global marketing was non existent in the early days of American professional sports. The Cleveland Browns? Really?
    Not different at all. You don't need to know what a Knickerbocker actually is to know that's the name of the professional basketball team in New York. That's what the name is for. It's not so people can go "Oh, that's a cool name." It's what they call THIS team by. And if you want to know, it's the Information Age and Google exists.

What, so fans in China will dismiss Krewe cuz they don't know what it means? They only speak English as a class requirement at best and based off Drake lyrics at worst.

And, again, if they want to know, they'll look it up, someone can tell them.

Edit: I mean, do you think the story of the Chicago Bulls name choice means much to people? I highly doubt it. Now it's just what we all know the Chicago basketball team as.
    Last edited by Eman5805; 07-15-2012 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Not different at all. You don't need to know what a Knickerbocker actually is to know that's the name of the professional basketball team in New York. That's what the name is for. It's not so people can go "Oh, that's a cool name." It's what they call THIS team by. And if you want to know, it's the Information Age and Google exists.

What, so fans in China will dismiss Krewe cuz they don't know what it means? They only speak English as a class requirement at best and based off Drake lyrics at worst.
    And, again, if they want to know, they'll look it up, someone can tell them.

I'm saying of virtually all the names that have been thrown out there, Krewe is by far the least marketable on a national/international level. It's just a fact. If you have to google it, ...........

It is absolutely different. When a team name exists before you were born, it just is what it is. That's different than when a team name is being created in the present time.

And it's not like I don't like the name Krewe. At certain points, i've actually preferred it to others. I also like Pelicans, Brass, Crescents, and Revelers.

I can just see David Stern reading the rebranding proposition, going "What the **** is a Krewe?" and crumpling up the paper.

EDIT: But if we're going with Angels or Spirit, like has been rumored, i'd just as soon keep Hornets.

I heard that Mr. Benson recently offered the arena football league something north of $1 mil for ownership of the New Orleans Voodoo name.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcNOLA View Post
    I heard that Mr. Benson recently offered the arena football league something north of $1 mil for ownership of the New Orleans Voodoo name.
    Yeah I read that too. I'd be down with that. But so far, he's been unsuccessful in getting that name back (I heard Benson himself is who came up with the name of the original Arena team).

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    More recently than the previous report? Anyhooooo, I think the AFL is just trying to exact a higher price. At $2-3 million they probably cave.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster View Post
    More recently than the previous report? Anyhooooo, I think the AFL is just trying to exact a higher price. At $2-3 million they probably cave.
    this, I seriously believe the team will be named VooDoo for the 2013-2014 season
    Formally known as WhoDatMan504

Tell us more.

Another thing for people to remember. The AFL is small potatoes. Small, small, small potatoes. I would be amazed if the owners made more than a couple hundred thousand dollars in profit per season. Obviously that's a lot to us average joes but if you net like $300k per season on your venture and some dude comes waiving $3 million in your face... that's ten years of profit. Arguably five more than your league might be in existence.
    Last edited by Unknown Poster; 07-16-2012 at 02:42 AM.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    link or it didnt happen.

Please, Mr. Benson, initiate the rebranding process yesterday!
    I once had some of the worst grits and drippings in the Queen City

Please be the smart business guy you are Mr. Benson and don't alieniate a core of your fanbase and rebrand an NBA team something as twisted as Voodoo.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatChristian View Post
    Please be the smart business guy you are Mr. Benson and don't alieniate a core of your fanbase and rebrand an NBA team something as twisted as Voodoo.
    No, WDC, he'd just be alienating you.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatChristian View Post
    Your sig is the first thing that sold me on the name Voodoo. Great name.

It's a classy sig, is what it is.

Hell, pun intended, I'm down for Voodoo being our name just so to see WDC go on a crusade.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Horn-et View Post
    Please, Mr. Benson, initiate the rebranding process yesterday!
    According to reports, he did so a few weeks ago.

Watch the Voodoo with a keen eye this weekend.

Just give me two more Hornets seasons. Then I'll be fine with the rebrand. The rule is 25 months anyway, right?

I'm meh about the Voodoo name, but anything is better than the Char....I mean New Orleans Hornets!

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets2013 View Post
    Just give me two more Hornets seasons. Then I'll be fine with the rebrand. The rule is 25 months anyway, right?
    Benson more likely than not got an exception. Hornets is dead... sooner rather than later.

Thread Information