Pelicans Report

Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 26 32 33 34 35 36 37 LastLast

Thread: The rebrand and name change thread part 4

Back when they first announced that they were planning on rebranding there was an article in the Times Picayune about it, they took a poll and 80% of the people said they would rather just keep the hornets, idk how many people were polled but if it was in the news paper i assume a decent amount
    never assume

Quote Originally Posted by jgman View Post
    Back when they first announced that they were planning on rebranding there was an article in the Times Picayune about it, they took a poll and 80% of the people said they would rather just keep the hornets, idk how many people were polled but if it was in the news paper i assume a decent amount
    I'm guessing it's a typo, but you have your numbers backwards -- 86.67% voted in favor of a name change.

Quote Originally Posted by DRob8785 View Post
    I'm guessing it's a typo, but you have your numbers backwards -- 86.67% voted in favor of a name change.
    yea idk why i wrote it like that, i meant rather change.... but is that right? I remember the article but couldn't find it online

http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss...drape_its.html

found it
    Last edited by jgman; 01-27-2013 at 09:02 PM.

pelicans got swag Flight of the Pelicans's Avatar

RE: The rebrand and name change thread part 4

Amazingly, a town famous for fighting change at every turn is nearly universally behind this one. A Nola.com poll asked whether new owner Tom Benson should change the Hornets’ name, and more than 86 percent of the 5,035 respondents said yes.

It’s far from a done deal. A full rebranding of the franchise will take time — and a lot of money. Industry experts estimate such change could cost as much as $10 million. We’re talking stadium signs, marketing and promotional material. Everything must be rebranded
    So uh, where's your argument for "unanimous hatred" among Nola fans Harley? 75 people isnt unanimous.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

#Let'sGoPels
    #WhoDatNation
    #GoRays

One thing to think about, Jeff Duncan did an article last month saying the initial reactions on the Pelicans nickname was far from positive. That article was likely printed in the newspaper. There was talk about Benson being a possible buyer of the TP so surely he must be a TP reader. Yet, here we are today with the official announcement that next year they will become the New Orleans Pelicans.

Moot.

First of all whodat..I've never stated "unanimous hatred" among NOLA Fans.. What I have stated is that it has been my experience from talking to people around town and more importantly those that actually go to the games that most of them do not like the name and would prefer to keep the Hornets name. I also make no bones about it being a very informal poll with no scientific value and realize that it has it flaws

For the guys that want to be fans of the Hornets, it's going to have to be in Charlotte.

The team has sent surveys to season ticket holders asking specifically about the Hornets name.

One question asks
    "assuming the name is changed to Hornets, what colors do you prefer"

I think part of the timing with the New Orleans announcement was to allow time for Charlotte to do the market study.

The mayor of Charlotte tweeted last month that he couldn't wait for the streets to be filled with people going to Charlotte Hornets games. And yesterday in an interview he alluded to the fact that he has already been in contact with the Bobcats about the cities desire to have the Hornets name back because it represents Charlotte.

Then at last nights game, Michael Jordan called a man and his wife into his suite and asks him specifically how he felt about the name change, the guy was wearing the "We-Beelieve" shirt that was designed by the art teacher who started this whole movement in Charlotte.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/We-Be...10429122320741

I'm pretty confident that Hugo will be back home very soon.
    Last edited by Jgib23; 01-27-2013 at 10:12 PM.

Doubt the NBA allows that

What happens with the team history. Right now NO owns all Charlotte Hornets history.. records, Bobby Phills jersey etc. Is history transferable? Does Benson actually own that history and he has to sell it to Charlotte. I know with Seattle/OKC... OKC actually owns Seattle history.

http://www.examiner.com/article/char...eattle-history

It's about what franchise the history is tied to for promotional purposes. The NBA seems to own all that. Benson decides what to use. They will have to get it sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetstime247 View Post
    What happens with the team history. Right now NO owns all Charlotte Hornets history.. records, Bobby Phills jersey etc. Is history transferable? Does Benson actually own that history and he has to sell it to Charlotte. I know with Seattle/OKC... OKC actually owns Seattle history.

http://www.examiner.com/article/char...eattle-history
    The pending change opens the door for one of the stranger possibilities in the history of N.B.A. record-keeping should the Charlotte Bobcats, an expansion team that replaced the Hornets after the team moved to New Orleans in 2002, attempt to reclaim the Hornets moniker.

If that happened, the team in Charlotte would still have a history dating only to 2004, when the Bobcats began play. The records and statistics of the Charlotte Hornets from 1988 to 2002 would remain with the Pelicans. Hornets here, Hornets there. Confusing, to say the least.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/25/sp...ame.html?_r=1&

See...

Remember, the NBA controls names. So they need to be convinced that the change is both worth the trouble and profitable to them.

Too often these ideas are cooked up with considering all parties.

This is no slam dunk for them.

@42- All parties have been considered, The community has risen up and asked for the change, MJ acknowledge that he heard the community and would listen when the name became available ( it now has), The NBA has been in contact with MJ on this atleast since April of last year. Now that the name is officially available the team has sent surveys to season ticket holders, the team released a statement saying they are working with the NBA and the NBA has acknowledged they are working with Charlotte on deciding which nickname is in the best long term interests of the team.

That doesn't mean it will 100% happen but, everyone knows the deal and is actively engaged in deciding if it will happen... The cost has been reported as $3 Million and that seems like a price that is doable if nothing else for the incremental league wide merchandise revenue.. The Bobcats are consistently ranked dead last in the NBA in merchandise sales.

David Stern:
    Stern also said he wouldn't mind if the Charlotte Bobcats once again became the Charlotte Hornets.

"I'm very differential to teams, as you know," Stern said. "If Charlotte wanted to ultimately change their name back to the Hornets that would be okay with me."

Adam Silver:
    re Hornets name change- "It's something that we would clearly look at"
    re timing of the Hornets name back in Charlotte - "Normally takes two years but, its a simplier process because the league already owns the name"

Fred Whitfield:
    Bobcats Sports & Entertainment President & COO Fred Whitfield released the following statement after the announcement was made by New Orleans team officials regarding their intentions to change their official team nickname:

“We are aware of the impending change regarding the team nickname in New Orleans. We are currently in contact with the NBA and conducting our own due diligence relative to this matter. We will not have any further comment until we have completed this process.”

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    It's gonna happen from what the bigwigs are saying.

Talk about name change. Name change, name schmange.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-saturd...ornets-return/

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte....html?page=all

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte...name-game.html

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...s-bobcats.html

Did you all know the Hornets was the name of a minor league baseball team for 7 decades and an upstart football league team in Charlotte before it became the city's NBA team name? Kind of ironic heh?

"Hornets mean nothing." -Tom Benson

Escaped monkey island! all2neat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chubbs91 View Post
    "Hornets mean nothing." -Tom Benson
    To NOLA, this is true. To Charlotte on the other hand... It would be like us losing the Saints and then later getting another franchise and naming them the Bobcats. We would really want the Saints name back wouldn't we.,

I think that's what Benson meant, that the Hornets mean nothing to this region. Hornets not being indigenous to this area.

You do realize there are hornets in this region and pelicans are found all over the world's coasts and are not just indigenous to this area?

Pelicans aren't on every state flag though. It's our state bird and Benson went with it. Maybe if our state insect was the Hornet he would've went with that but he didn't.

How's your petition going?

The Artist    Contributor   
    Why is this thread still alive since we've been rebranded already?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdub81 View Post
    Good point. It should be un-stickied too.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdub81 View Post
    Well for now it may be a good place to merge all the anti-pelican name change threads that are bound to pop up

I won't lie HunnyB It's going slow. I've got no delusions of grandeur about it. But It's not like I am out there knocking on doors either.. Posted it in several places and still trying to get the word out..

Its un-stickied! yay
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

Thread Information