Pelicans Report

Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 LastLast

Thread: The rebrand and name change thread part 4

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    They're valves. A piccolo trumpet has four. But no one but people playing old school Bach uses those. Your every day B flat trumpet only has three.
    That just shows my knowledge on trumpets, I called them buttons.

Today's radio broadcast (New Orleans/Charlotte/Seattle name changes)...

A friend of mine in New Orleans texted me to let me know that y'alls' radio duo were alluding to the fact that three NBA fanbases would have 'a lot to cheer about' as early as next season, and that they then referenced Seattle's return to the league, New Orleans' rebrand, as well as Charlotte's reclamation of the Hornets' brand. He said he only caught the tail end of the discussion...I was just wondering if anybody happened to catch the whole segment, and if maybe there was somewhere I could find a transcript and/or link. Thanks in advance if anybody has any info!
    We Beelieve: Charlotte...Take Back Your Hornets! links:

Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/We-Bee...2320741?ref=ts

Petition:
    http://www.change.org/petitions/we-b...se-the-hornets

You will get your name back. Don't worry, we don't want it. Well most of us.

Oh, I'm pretty confident in that fact, Brow, just curious as to whether or not anybody else had heard what my buddy heard. The 'Cats broadcast crews avoid the subject like the plague; it was refreshing to hear that y'all might have taken a slightly more reality-based approach

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Not many are crazy about Pelicans. But be crazy about The Charlotte Hornets, man. They will soon be yours again.

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    Oh, I'm pretty confident in that fact, Brow, just curious as to whether or not anybody else had heard what my buddy heard. The 'Cats broadcast crews avoid the subject like the plague; it was refreshing to hear that y'all might have taken a slightly more reality-based approach
    Why do you think that is?

I'm assuming your fan base hates bobcats?

Hunny: I understand their perspective; it's not like you guys, who are creating your own identity from scratch. There would be something problematic about the higher-ups of one current franchise discussing another current franchise's current brand as though it was their own. That being said, both Jordan and team President Fred Whitfield have said as much about the return of the Hornets brand as they can without overtly 'saying it'. Like I said, I'm working at about a 125% level of confidence that it's going to happen at this point, it's just always fun collecting little tidbits along the way.

Brow: To answer your question, I've attached a little image I made for the page. It includes the last 2 polls conducted by the Charlotte Observer regarding the rebrand. As the text states, "the numbers don't lie" Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Numbers don't lie.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	4596

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    Hunny: I understand their perspective; it's not like you guys, who are creating your own identity from scratch. There would be something problematic about the higher-ups of one current franchise discussing another current franchise's current brand as though it was their own. That being said, both Jordan and team President Fred Whitfield have said as much about the return of the Hornets brand as they can without overtly 'saying it'. Like I said, I'm working at about a 125% level of confidence that it's going to happen at this point, it's just always fun collecting little tidbits along the way.

Brow: To answer your question, I've attached a little image I made for the page. It includes the last 2 polls conducted by the Charlotte Observer regarding the rebrand. As the text states, "the numbers don't lie" Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Numbers don't lie.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	4596
    I'd hardly call the broadcast crew 'higher ups'. I understand Jordan and Whitfield not saying as much about it but broadcast crews have been known to 'bring things up' rather than avoiding it like the plague. I was just wondering why they're avoiding at least bringing it up.

The Bobcats have little reason to rebrand. The NBA has little reason to allow such a rebrand for rebrand's sake.

I would not assume that 10% of the NBA will be rebranded in one offseason.

^^^ go to any sports store in any mall in the usa or canada and i would say that charlotte hornets apparel one of the most sold/ worn things you will find in terms on nba merchandise. Imo the charlotte hornets brand and is populare enough to warrent such a rebrand.

Well if the Charlotte Hornets brand is doing so well without Charlotte actually having the name, they don't really need the name now do they? What do they need the name for then?

Quote Originally Posted by hornetstime247 View Post
    ^^^ go to any sports store in any mall in the usa or canada and i would say that charlotte hornets apparel one of the most sold/ worn things you will find in terms on nba merchandise. Imo the charlotte hornets brand and is populare enough to warrent such a rebrand.
    And . . . so what? The NBA splits such money. Changing the name does not help Charlotte a lick. They are already getting that money.

The game makes more sense when you know the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    lol, well said.
    "Times are not good here. The city is crumbling into ashes. It has been buried under taxes and frauds and maladministraions so that it has become a study for archaeologists...but it is better to live here in sackcloth and ashes than to own the whole state of Ohio."

— Lafcadio Hearn (Inventing New Orleans: Writings of Lafcadio Hearn)

And . . . so what? The NBA splits such money. Changing the name does not help Charlotte a lick. They are already getting that money.

A rising tide lifts all boats.

The Bobcats ranked dead last in the NBA in merchandise sales last season, so they revamped the uniforms, colors, and logo and are again ranked dead last.

The amount of Charlotte Hornets gear available is limited to hats and a few shirts and throwback jerseys of ZO & LJ that go for about $250 from Mitchell & Ness, by changing to the Charlotte Hornets you open up new products, new jerseys of current players, etc.

If by changing the name, you add $30 million in incremental merchandise sales, each team gets a million dollars and the Bobcats/Hornets would benefit from it.

Additionally, The Bobcats have a very good reason to rebrand as the city of Charlotte is clamoring for it... There are people that were turned off by Shinn leaving and Bob Johnson naming the team after himself.. If changing the name to Hornets ( a name synomous with Charlotte since the Revolutionary War) helps mend fences and re-engage some scorned fans- it's well worth the $3M investment.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    I'd hardly call the broadcast crew 'higher ups'. I understand Jordan and Whitfield not saying as much about it but broadcast crews have been known to 'bring things up' rather than avoiding it like the plague. I was just wondering why they're avoiding at least bringing it up.
    The teams stance has been that they can't legally speak about the copyrighted name/logo of another team...

The team has to walk a tightrope on this one as Charlotte has grown tremendously since the Hornets left and some of their current season ticket holders weren't around when the Hornets were in Charlotte and have no allegiance to that brand. There is also a very leage contingent that longs for what we consider our identity back. (I can explain that long history of Charlotte & Hornets but, I won't bore you with the details but, Charlotte has been called the Hornets Nest since 1780.).

MJ has said that he is open to the change and Adam Silver was in Charlotte the last game of the 2012 season and said he would speak to MJ about the Hornets name.

Many of us in Charlotte are anxiously awaiting Hugo's return home...

Sounds like a ton of hope and ignoring the costs of a rebrand.

People thinks rebranding is like magic. It's not.

Do fans even care about the costs of a rebrand though? I guess it's cool for them that they'll probably get the name back. If I were a Bobcats fan though, I'd be more concerned about the team that's being put on the court and whether they're winning games or not. I don't know. Maybe it's just me but I'd think that would be more important. I guess the name will help their merchandise sales though.

A ton of hope indeed.

No one is ignoring the cost of the rebrand... It's been reported that it would cost $3 Million and Adam Silver (Next Commish of the NBA) said that it could be expedited because the NBA still owns all the rights to the Charlotte Hornets brand.

I think that the $3M is easily re-couped.. In fact, if the team can see an incremental 1,000 fans per game that avg spending $73 bucks on tickets/concession then they make all the money back in 1 season without factoring in any incremental merchandising revenue.

Branding and winning aren't related... We can be equally as concerned about both.

They also said they are not for rebranding for rebranding's sake.

I fail to see what this has to do with this team, actually.

I know the history of the Hornets in Charlotte. Been a fan of the team since the days of Kelly Tripucka. If MJ has to shell out $3 million for the rebrand, then by all means, do it! That's the equivalent of Kemba Walker's salary, or close to it, at least.

The Hornets name belongs to Charlotte the same way the Jazz name belongs to New Orleans. If they get the Hornets name back, they're gonna get the fans back.

Keep our Hornets part III

Okay here we go again...I've posted this twice now and it disappears. Mods if you have a problem with it please let me know why or if you move it. If there is something inappropriate about other than you just don't agree with the content again please let me know whats inappropriate about it

Keep the Hornets Petition!
    While I know I am going to catch a lot of flak from the pro Peli's and believe me I already have, I've started a petition for those of us who do not agree with the rebrand.If you don't like the petition that's fine I can respect that and your point of view..I just ask the same from you in your response's. Please spare me the "if you don't like it get the hell out or your not a real fan" arguments. I would have posted this a lot sooner and responded to a lot of the other posts about the rebrand but I haven't been able to post here before now. Anyhow here's the link:

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...r-hornets.html

Let's keep this civil shall we?

Geaux Hornets!

The Franchise
    Its done, nothing is going to change that. Pelicans all the way
    Follow me on Twitter - www.twitter.com/ryinthehottub

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Well cant blame me for trying

Thread Information