Pelicans Report

Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast

Thread: The rebrand and name change thread part 4

Charlotte fan checking in here... We were discussing the rebrand On our board as the owner of our site registered a Hornetsplanet.com domain just in case the name is returned and I started doing some domain name research about the names that New Orleans has been rumored to be in consideration.

Nothing stood out until I looked up NewOrleansKnights.com

What do you guys think about this? Coincidence or something else?

Tom Benson agreed to buy the team on April 12th, on April 15th the domain name NewOrleansKnights.com was registered by a company named "Domains by Proxy", this is a company that registers domains confidentially for their clients.

Gayle Benson announces the new colors for the team as Red, Gold, and Navy (she said she wanted Black but, the NBA said there were too many Black uniforms). I then ran across this submission in the ESPN contest for rebranding the team.

http://www.bobcatsplanet.com/vb/atta...2&d=1354555918

(I'm on an IPad and can't upload the image, can someone upload it to make it easier to view)

Replace the Black with Navy and you get Mrs. Benson's colors... Maybe just a weird coincidence and I love a good conspiracy
    Last edited by Jgib23; 12-03-2012 at 07:56 PM.

I suppose I'd wonder what else that company registered about that time. It could have just been a `grab'.

Escaped monkey island! all2neat's Avatar
    Can you attach the file here. Most of us won't be able to view it.

I think it would "bee" sweet if Mayor Landrieu and Tom Benson sent Hugo to Charlotte as a "present" almost like the French sent the Statue of Liberty to America.

Quote Originally Posted by all2neat View Post
    Can you attach the file here. Most of us won't be able to view it.
    I can't, the iPad is not playing nice with the image function.

Type in "New Orleans Knights NBA" in google images, it's the first one ( submitted by a fan in the ESPN contest so it's nothing official in any way, shape or form) I just thought it was odd that the colors matched up.

@42- if it was just a grab, I can't imagine anyone would pay extra to keep it confidential. All the other names that are popular aren't registered confidentially and I guess those were just grabs.

Maybe the timing is too close for Benson to have someone do it that quick (3 days) but, I just thought it was weird.
    Last edited by Jgib23; 12-03-2012 at 08:04 PM.

I like the name Knights. That would be a cool name. I also like Dukes, Pelicans, and Voodoo. Either one will work. What does Knights have to do with NOLA? The Knights in mardi gras parades i guess???
    Last edited by bayoubengal44; 12-03-2012 at 08:41 PM.
    Geaux LSU Tigers, New Orleans Saints, New Orleans Pelicans, Houston Astros!

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jgib23 View Post
    Charlotte fan checking in here... We were discussing the rebrand On our board as the owner of our site registered a Hornetsplanet.com domain just in case the name is returned and I started doing some domain name research about the names that New Orleans has been rumored to be in consideration.

Nothing stood out until I looked up NewOrleansKnights.com

What do you guys think about this? Coincidence or something else?

Tom Benson agreed to buy the team on April 12th, on April 15th the domain name NewOrleansKnights.com was registered by a company named "Domains by Proxy", this is a company that registers domains confidentially for their clients.

Gayle Benson announces the new colors for the team as Red, Gold, and Navy (she said she wanted Black but, the NBA said there were too many Black uniforms). I then ran across this submission in the ESPN contest for rebranding the team.

http://www.bobcatsplanet.com/vb/atta...2&d=1354555918

(I'm on an IPad and can't upload the image, can someone upload it to make it easier to view)

Replace the Black with Navy and you get Mrs. Benson's colors... Maybe just a weird coincidence and I love a good conspiracy
    We can't see that attachment, not a member of those forums.
    Wherehappens.

Quote Originally Posted by Jgib23 View Post
    @42- if it was just a grab, I can't imagine anyone would pay extra to keep it confidential. All the other names that are popular aren't registered confidentially and I guess those were just grabs.
    It costs like $10 more for a confidential registration and every domain registrar sells that add on very hard. It may suggest an actual business rather than just some random blogger wannabe, but I don't think it really says that much.

The name Pelicans for a sports franchise is about as laughable as it gets. Please if there is a god, let the name stay Hornets if Pelicans is a serious consideration for a name change. Surely Mr. Benson has someone close to him that will be honest and tell him that is a stupid idea for a rebrand.

Quote Originally Posted by Davisistheman View Post
    The name Pelicans for a sports franchise is about as laughable as it gets. Please if there is a god, let the name stay Hornets if Pelicans is a serious consideration for a name change. Surely Mr. Benson has someone close to him that will be honest and tell him that is a stupid idea for a rebrand.
    Well you won't have trouble finding another team to root for since you just joined on the wagon.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    Well you won't have trouble finding another team to root for since you just joined on the wagon.
    No this one's just fine.

You're not like the ones on that other site that cannot tolerate different opinions are you? Cause I can just agree with you if that's what strokes your ego. I'm certainly not here to threaten your internet dominance.

Quote Originally Posted by Davisistheman View Post
    No this one's just fine.

You're not like the ones on that other site that cannot tolerate different opinions are you? Cause I can just agree with you if that's what strokes your ego. I'm certainly not here to threaten your internet dominance.
    Nope, cheese away.

Pelicans looking all but official

Jeff Duncan ‏@JeffDuncanTP
    The #Hornets are expected to change their nickname to Pelicans, per a report by @SpearsNBAYahoo. So what do you think? Yay or nay?

Looky looky.

Haters gon hate, we're the ****ing Pelicans.

Stealth Mode: Active Lurkaholic's Avatar
    Well, New Orleans basketball is one less thing I can spend my money on. What an embarrassing decision. Gayle does realize that she can't just turn around and change it again next year, right??

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkaholic View Post
    Well, New Orleans basketball is one less thing I can spend my money on. What an embarrassing decision. Gayle does realize that she can't just turn around and change it again next year, right??
    If the name can deter u away from supporting the team. then u were never a full fledged fan to begin with. No loss.

I love all of the hate. The internet really is great isn't it.

DEAL WITH IT.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    DEAL WITH IT.
    Guess we will have too unfortunately. Terrible decision tho. Can't imagine many players will be thrilled to be a Pelican regardless of what they say in front of the media. it will take a long time to overcome this debacle.

Big debacle. It's been... uh.... negative 6 months already! Way to judge!

Benson doing what he wants.

Thread Information