.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 24 of 37 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 ... LastLast
Results 576 to 600 of 907

Thread: The rebrand and name change thread part 4

  1. #576
    BUZZ OFF, CHARLOTTE Teal Lantern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    620
    Quote Originally Posted by neworleanshoo View Post
    the height of delusion.

    the hornets nickname will be embraced in charlotte, and we couldn't be happier for them. and the NEW new orleans moniker will be equally embraced by locals down here, no matter what it is.
    If you mean "we" as in most of the posters on Hornets Report, then I'd agree. But I've talked to quite a few hardcore Hornets fans who have stuck with the team through the move. There are going to be a lot of hard feelings about seeing another franchise branding itself with our history. Personally, I think that's going to be harder to swallow than Benson rebranding this team.
    With purple and pinstripes from days gone by, I trumpet Hugo's name to the NOLA sky. When rebranders and posers abuse their might, beware my power, TEAL LANTERN'S LIGHT!

    Forever hating the nickname, the logos, and the colors. Still backing the team I've loved since 1994.

    Stolen name. Stolen colors. Stolen identity. Still the same old worthless Slobcats. Suck sludge, Charlotte.

  2. #577
    The Witch Doctor NemesisKING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ask Your Wife
    Posts
    935
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet Hysteria View Post
    If you mean "we" as in most of the posters on Hornets Report, then I'd agree. But I've talked to quite a few hardcore Hornets fans who have stuck with the team through the move. There are going to be a lot of hard feelings about seeing another franchise branding itself with our history. Personally, I think that's going to be harder to swallow than Benson rebranding this team.

    I think this Hornets "HISTORY" that you speak of is relative. First, all of that history, those memories that come to your mind are probably tied to the Charlotte era Hornets.

    Every thing you say only makes a little bit of sense, the only fans that had any reason to be upset was the actual fans in Charlotte, they lost their team because of a crap bag of an owner and didn't get to keep the name in town.

    Every time i see somebody on t.v., in a magazine or walking around town, even in this town wearing a throwback Charlotte Hornets hat it just reinforce the idea that this team needs to be rebranded, that history is not the history of the team that plays in New Orleans, the players, coaches and fans of the hornets.

    The fact is you say "HISTORY", well if its history, that won't ever change it took place, it's memories that will always be there and they are all tied Charlotte.

    The original name, logo and colors will be back where it belongs, if you have no ties to this city and the only thing that matters is the Hornets than it shouldn't matter to you where they play, actually it should mean more that it's old historical name will now return in it's complete form, obviously it doesn't matter who plays for the hornets right, because players have changed over the years.

    But I think your biggest problem with just switching teams now once the rebrand happens is that this version of the hornets now have Anthony Davis among other young talent that's heading in the right direction and the idea of supporting the players on the current Bobcat's roster makes you sick right now.

  3. #578
    BUZZ OFF, CHARLOTTE Teal Lantern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    620
    Quote Originally Posted by NemesisKING View Post
    I think this Hornets "HISTORY" that you speak of is relative. First, all of that history, those memories that come to your mind are probably tied to the Charlotte era Hornets.

    Every thing you say only makes a little bit of sense, the only fans that had any reason to be upset was the actual fans in Charlotte, they lost their team because of a crap bag of an owner and didn't get to keep the name in town.

    Every time i see somebody on t.v., in a magazine or walking around town, even in this town wearing a throwback Charlotte Hornets hat it just reinforce the idea that this team needs to be rebranded, that history is not the history of the team that plays in New Orleans, the players, coaches and fans of the hornets.

    The fact is you say "HISTORY", well if its history, that won't ever change it took place, it's memories that will always be there and they are all tied Charlotte.

    The original name, logo and colors will be back where it belongs, if you have no ties to this city and the only thing that matters is the Hornets than it shouldn't matter to you where they play, actually it should mean more that it's old historical name will now return in it's complete form, obviously it doesn't matter who plays for the hornets right, because players have changed over the years.

    But I think your biggest problem with just switching teams now once the rebrand happens is that this version of the hornets now have Anthony Davis among other young talent that's heading in the right direction and the idea of supporting the players on the current Bobcat's roster makes you sick right now.
    I'll be blunt, regardless of the reaction: Charlotte needs to move on. I don't support "Bring back the buzz", and never will. In the future, perhaps all pro sports leagues will adopt rules to keep names/colors/logos in town, but what's done is done. The real Hornets left and they are never coming back.

    Where you and I can never agree is that the Charlotte/New Orleans history of the Hornets isn't the same. That's the very reason why I'll still support this team even through a rebrand and would never support a new team in Charlotte called "the Hornets". I have no problem with people who support the hometown team, but my loyalty isn't tied to geography. It's about the franchise that I've loved since '94. If Benson suddenly moved the team to Saudi Arabia tomorrow, I'd still back the Tabuk Hornets.

    And, no, I wouldn't cheer the Bobcats even if they established a dynasty.

  4. #579
    Rookie rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster View Post
    That's because you're from Chicago.

    Nothing to see here, just another generic fan whose allegiance is tied to a logo. You guys can feel free to go back rooting for the Charlotte Hornets. You won't be missed. Not by the other fans or by Benson and his piles and piles of money. Pretty sure an 85 year old couldn't care less about losing a few million on the margins and that's assuming his new brand doesn't sell like gangbusters throughout the Gulf South (which it probably will).
    I've been rooting for this team since Kelly Tripucka was the leading scorer. I assure you I am a bigger fan of the New Orleans Hornets than you will ever be. It will be a weird thing if this team becomes the "Pelicans" and Charlotte becomes the Hornets. I honestly don't know who I would root for. maybe both.

  5. #580
    I just told my coworker who's from Charlotte about Benson rebranding the team soon. He was like GOOD!! He has a real bad taste in his mouth about the Hornets, mostly George Shinn. He felt sorry for us when they moved to N.O. He said he knew eventually he would run the team into the ground in NOLA too. He had me crackin up tho. He was like they sucked...the Charlotte Hornets always sucked. He said when he was in the 7th grade there was some contest they were doing where they had to sale candy. They told them that whoever sold the most candy would win a dinner with "an NBA team". They were all excited. He ended up winning. He said they announced the winner over the intercom and was like "Congradulations (my coworkers name)!! You just won a dinner with the Charlotte Hornets!!" He said it was like they sucked the life out of him. He wasn't even excited. I was DYIN!! I told him I didn't believe him. So came back like an hour later and he got his mom to text him the pic of him and some bench player she still had in the house. I asked him who the player was and he was like "I don't ******* know because I didn't care in the slightest. Do you see a smile on my face in the picture...no you just see dissapointment..."

    I had tears in my eyes I was laughing so hard. This guy HATED that team while it was in Charlotte with a passion. LMAO!!!
    Last edited by Miss_318; 11-06-2012 at 12:58 PM.

  6. #581
    All World Contributor FlyGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Walkin to N.O.
    Posts
    20,012
    I think most fans loved the Hornets while they were there. At least until the last season or two when things started going sour (mainly with Shinn). Out of the 14 seasons they were there I think they missed the playoffs like maybe 6 or 7 times so I wouldn't necessarily say they 'always sucked'. They also ranked #1 in attendance a couple of those seasons.

  7. #582
    For...ev...er... The JNR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mid-city
    Posts
    3,332
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    I've been rooting for this team since Kelly Tripucka was the leading scorer. I assure you I am a bigger fan of the New Orleans Hornets than you will ever be. It will be a weird thing if this team becomes the "Pelicans" and Charlotte becomes the Hornets. I honestly don't know who I would root for. maybe both.
    Saying "I'm a bigger fan of the New Orleans Hornets than you will ever be" and then saying you don't know who you will root for seems contradictory. Not to mention how ridiculous it is to call out another persons fandom.

  8. #583
    On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Heart of the City
    Posts
    4,687
    Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    Saying "I'm a bigger fan of the New Orleans Hornets than you will ever be" and then saying you don't know who you will root for seems contradictory. Not to mention how ridiculous it is to call out another persons fandom.
    Correct on both


    BIGGEST FAN IN HISTORY

    I DUNNO ABOUT THAT NAME, I'M A HEAT FAN NOW
    Wherehappens.

  9. #584
    A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    20,907
    That was about as biopolar a comment as humanly possible.
    Now I provide life insurance benefits.

  10. #585
    Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    The Interwebs
    Posts
    9,573
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    I've been rooting for this team since Kelly Tripucka was the leading scorer. I assure you I am a bigger fan of the New Orleans Hornets than you will ever be. It will be a weird thing if this team becomes the "Pelicans" and Charlotte becomes the Hornets. I honestly don't know who I would root for. maybe both.
    Bigger fan of the Charlotte Hornets, maybe. Newsflash: They died ten years ago.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

  11. #586
    Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    I think most fans loved the Hornets while they were there. At least until the last season or two when things started going sour (mainly with Shinn). Out of the 14 seasons they were there I think they missed the playoffs like maybe 6 or 7 times so I wouldn't necessarily say they 'always sucked'. They also ranked #1 in attendance a couple of those seasons.
    Correct, Hunny. We led the league in attendance for 9 of 14 seasons, including 364 consecutive sellouts (in the league's largest basketball-only facility) between '88 and '97.

    In the spectrum of Charlotte Hornet-fandom, Miss_318's friend sounds like a tall-tale-teller or an extreme negative outlier.

    (Sorry if this veers things a little off-topic, just felt the neck hairs bristling and had to spit something out )
    Last edited by John Morgan; 11-06-2012 at 02:54 PM.
    We Beelieve: Charlotte...Take Back Your Hornets! links:

    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/We-Bee...2320741?ref=ts

    Petition:
    http://www.change.org/petitions/we-b...se-the-hornets

  12. #587
    Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    The Interwebs
    Posts
    9,573
    You guys can have all the banners, records, jerseys, history, etc. I'll be happy to pack it all in boxes and drive it up myself once Benson rebrands the team. It should operate just like the Browns did in the NFL.

  13. #588
    BUZZ OFF, CHARLOTTE Teal Lantern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    620
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    I've been rooting for this team since Kelly Tripucka was the leading scorer. I assure you I am a bigger fan of the New Orleans Hornets than you will ever be. It will be a weird thing if this team becomes the "Pelicans" and Charlotte becomes the Hornets. I honestly don't know who I would root for. maybe both.
    Dude, forget Charlotte. It was an unpleasant situation to be sure, but the city could have kept the Hornets if they had wanted it enough. The fact is fans stopped attending because they let Shinn's personal antics cloud their support to the team. Then the Hornets became a political pawn and that assured their move. I only feel sorry for the fans who supported the team through the Shinn cyclone and the move. For the fans who withdrew their support because the owner was a jerk, I have no sympathy. You should support the team through thick and thin, end of story.


    And just because I feel like saying it--the Panthers suck.
    Last edited by Teal Lantern; 11-07-2012 at 08:54 AM.

  14. #589
    #CauseImAsFreeAsABirdNow    Contributor   
    IamQuailman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NERLA
    Posts
    8,725
    If this goes down, the Hornets brand are the NBA version of the Browns. Ask Cleveland fans how they feel about that.
    People's Basketball Sim League presents...

    1995-96 Season
    C Kevin Willis | PF Brian Grant | SF Jalen Rose | SG Michael Finley | PG Terrell Brandon
    Key Reserves: Dikembe Mutombo | Todd Day






  15. #590
    Escaped monkey island! all2neat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ascension Parish
    Posts
    2,527
    People that live in and around the NOLA metro area for the most part want a new name. We understand what it's like for another city (Utah Jazz) to have our name.. Why not help them out. It mutually beneficial.

  16. #591
    Rebrand! Rebrand! Rebrand!

    J

  17. #592
    Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    I think most fans loved the Hornets while they were there. At least until the last season or two when things started going sour (mainly with Shinn). Out of the 14 seasons they were there I think they missed the playoffs like maybe 6 or 7 times so I wouldn't necessarily say they 'always sucked'. They also ranked #1 in attendance a couple of those seasons.
    Yeah I could tell that Shinn was the reason for most of his anger towards the team. Like I said e said he was happy for us that we have an actual owner now and are rebranding. I just thought it was a funny story cuz he was sooooo serious when he was telling me about it. LOL

  18. #593
    BUZZ OFF, CHARLOTTE Teal Lantern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    620
    After watching the game last night, I really think we should go with yellow as the primary color. It really stands out well on the court.

  19. #594
    I was the worlds biggest Charlotte Hornets fan and can't wait until the name comes back home. Charlotte never stopped supporting the Hornets, what Charlotte didn't do was continue to support Shinn and build him a new hive.

    The good people in New Orleans won't remember this but, before they were the New Orleans Hornets, Shinn had flirted with them one season earlier being the Norfolk Hornets, and the Louisville Hornets.

    Also, our now NC Governor Pat McCroy, was then Charlotte Mayor. mcCroy tried unsuccessfully to negotiate with Shinn to keep the Hornets name in Charlotte and Shinn wouldn't negotiate.

    The name returning will heal some deep wounds here in Charlotte.

  20. #595
    Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    The Interwebs
    Posts
    9,573
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet Hysteria View Post
    After watching the game last night, I really think we should go with yellow as the primary color. It really stands out well on the court.

    No.

  21. #596
    A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    20,907
    Not to mention that with a new brand, they will need a whole new design for the court.

  22. #597
    BUZZ OFF, CHARLOTTE Teal Lantern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    620
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster View Post
    No.
    YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!

    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Not to mention that with a new brand, they will need a whole new design for the court.
    Not necessarily. I could see Benson keeping the "NOLA" letting and/or some version of purple/green/yellow (or gold) for the unis, although I'll be surprised if there is any blue.

  23. #598
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! luckyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,263
    I found this for those who might find it delightful

    http://www.teamontop.com/product/New...Shirt_20126361

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pelicans1-t.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	4410

  24. #599
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Silverfoxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,885
    Its getting to the point where i truly would like to just keep the Hornets name. How OKC, and Brooklynn been lookig with rebranding, im kinda afraid how our new unis, and brand would look. Also, the arena is being filled with blue seats, so im assuming that rebranding is not something thats serious right now.
    True Love

  25. #600
    A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    20,907
    That's not getting to the point, Silv. You were ALWAYS at the point, I thought.

    I don't care about how pretty you can make the logo or the color scheme.

    Change the name!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •