Pelicans Report

Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 31 ... LastLast

Thread: The rebrand and name change thread part 4

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Edit: nevermind. Just forget it. Not starting anything.

Not personal.

That research fuels a fire I have no interest in, at least in the way most are.

Again, I think this "We have enough, let's wait and see and be excited for a new name" is fine.

I think it's very reasonable.

The vehemence, again, was misplaced. It was never the logo and it will never be.

The Franchise
    Not sure what's up with 42,

I do agree with one part,

The friggen logo means nothing . . . . to New Orleans. Yes the team is here to stay, great - now I can't speak for everyone but I want a logo and a name that represents New Orleans.
    Follow me on Twitter - www.twitter.com/ryinthehottub

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    Not personal.

That research fuels a fire I have no interest in, at least in the way most are.

Again, I think this "We have enough, let's wait and see and be excited for a new name" is fine.

I think it's very reasonable.

The vehemence, again, was misplaced. It was never the logo and it will never be.
    If you have no interest in it, than dont do it. Simple.

It seems as if you are seeing things very one eyed on a topic that everyone has a different view on.
    Last edited by RyanM; 10-29-2012 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan2709 View Post
    If you have no interest in it, than dont do it. Simple.

It seems as if you are seeing things very one eyed on a topic that everyone has a different view on.
    I don't think that's true.

And it's not that simple. There's a difference between not caring about the topic and caring about people who care about a topic. I fall into the latter category.

"Evil will always triumph because good is dumb." - Dark Helmet, Spaceballs

At any rate, it's not about me. I pointed out what has been true all along and the recent lack of activity has supported: The rebrand is just not that important. Enjoy it, then move on, should it happen. If it doesn't, enjoy the Hornets and move on.

What's wrong with that?

The Franchise
    I don't think that's true.

And it's not that simple. There's a difference between not caring about the topic and caring about people who care about a topic. I fall into the latter category.

"Evil will always triumph because good is dumb." - Dark Helmet, Spaceballs

At any rate, it's not about me. I pointed out what has been true all along and the recent lack of activity has supported: The rebrand is just not that important. Enjoy it, then move on, should it happen. If it doesn't, enjoy the Hornets and move on.

What's wrong with that?
    I do agree with all this, its now or never for a rebrand. If we go through this season with no news it will never happen. Like you said the name isn't the most important aspect here but I like the icing on top of my cake and this would be it for me.

Exactly, if the rebrand doesn't happen I will still love the hornets. Hell, I am on a message board for the team. But I want a rebrand more than any single thing to happen this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan2709 View Post
    I do agree with all this, its now or never for a rebrand. If we go through this season with no news it will never happen. Like you said the name isn't the most important aspect here but I like the icing on top of my cake and this would be it for me.
    A team has to notify the NBA 2 years in advance of a rebrand. I know Benson has talked to Stern about it, saying it was a "priority".
    Old fan. Tired fan. I want to believe.

It's not like we can do anything about it and Benson just said the other day that it remains one of his top priorities

The information indicates that a waiver was granted.

Benson is still sounding like it will be done. John Reid is still talking about the league mandated minimum 2 years but he probably knows nothing about the waiver.

To fully re-brand the franchise, Benson wants to change the team's nickname to something that would more closely identify it with New Orleans. Benson said he gets letters daily from fans suggesting names. Benson didn’t offer any suggested names he liked but said changing the nickname remains a priority.

Under league rules, the NBA expects a minimum two years notice for a franchise to change its nickname. NBA Commissioner David Stern said there’s no chance of the Utah Jazz relinquishing its nickname back to New Orleans.

"I feel strongly that we need to change that name,’’ Benson said. "When the Jazz was here that meant something to New Orleans. So we have to have something like that. Sometime in the future we’ll get a new name and it will be that much better. Maybe one that relates to our community a little closer than the Hornets do.’’
    http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss...ner_tom_4.html

I don't know either. Not know know. Jimmy Smith has reported it, others have talked about it indirectly, indicating when they expect the Desire (or whatever) to begin play.

It's be cool if they announced it between now and the opening tip.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Actually, to me it is. I'm tired of that friggin name. That said, I don't comment in this thread because it would just be pointless babble at this stage. I don't really buy into your argument that apathy about posting about it means people don't care one way or the other. People just realize it's a futile exercise and, quite frankly, not very interesting when it's just regurgitating the handful of ideas again and again. Look at the last ten pages or so of this thread -- other than discussion of the facts/evidence regarding the mechanics of the change the discussion on the name itself is pretty banal. It's like arguing about your favorite color.
    Last edited by Unknown Poster; 10-30-2012 at 06:23 AM.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

And what has changed?

Why is it tired now and not for the last 10.5 years?

Because it was tired for the past 10 years, until 5 months ago when Benson bought the team and breathed new life into it. We created all of these threads, hundreds of pages worth, in rampant discussion. Strong opinions were stated, fights were had, Voodoo was practiced. A steady stream of information helped keep things pumping. We're in that period where we are waiting for new information, but also excited for the team to start playing tomorrow. The rebrand is important to me, but right now the most important thing is what will happen on the court.

I can post here every day that I'm excited for a rebrand, that Voodoo tops my list but I'd also be in favor of Brass or Pelicans or Dukes, but like Unknown said, after awhile there isn't much more to say. I hope we find out tomorrow what the new name is. That would be great timing to release the information if, as was speculated, the team has already picked a name. But if we don't find out tomorrow, we'll find out soon. And it'll be a great day.

All I read is unacknowledged agreement

When this topic has been brought up over the past 10 years, it was so unlikely to happen that everyone's favorite was equally likely to win out. Of the unofficial official options we've seen leaked out, I think Voodoo is the only one with more positive than negative approval. Since that is no longer the rumor du jour I think you have gotten to the point where maybe a rebrand isn't as important, not because people don't want one, they just don't want what they see as a downgrade or even lateral move from Hornets. People want a rebrand they can get excited about, not Tom Benson replacing Shinn's generic nickname with his own local but still generic nickname.

You are right in that the rebrand argument has often been a proxy for something else, but that doesn't mean the logo itself isn't important. It's just that Hornets isn't as tainted as others have made it out to be in the past, so the team can do worse and no one wants that.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster View Post
    Actually, to me it is. I'm tired of that friggin name. That said, I don't comment in this thread because it would just be pointless babble at this stage. I don't really buy into your argument that apathy about posting about it means people don't care one way or the other. People just realize it's a futile exercise and, quite frankly, not very interesting when it's just regurgitating the handful of ideas again and again. Look at the last ten pages or so of this thread -- other than discussion of the facts/evidence regarding the mechanics of the change the discussion on the name itself is pretty banal. It's like arguing about your favorite color.
    purple, damn it! and don't even try suggesting anything else!
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

I'm just waiting for either a contest or the announcement of the new name and colors.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    I'm just waiting for Wednesday!
    Wherehappens.

I mean, yeah, if nothing new happens for a while, active interest dips.

I'm not super-charged every day by the thought of a rebrand right now, but if you ask me, I'll tell you I want it to happen and am excited about it, but that it's A. still far away, and B. nothing new has been said about it in a while.

I don't feel apathy towards it; I just have more of a passive interest, since there isn't anything new to discuss or participate in.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    All I read is unacknowledged agreement
    All I read is someone trying to get a rise out of people and succeeding.

And what has changed?

Pretty sure there were massive periods of lull in those last 10.5 years, too. Hell I didn't even post on this site for a good four or five years. I'd say the percentage of time a rerbrand wasn't discussed over the last ten years versus the amount it has been discussed is probably a ratio of around 95% to 5% I'm just not following your argument.
    Last edited by Unknown Poster; 10-30-2012 at 01:51 PM.

If I wanted to get a rise out of people, I could.

So could you.

People are agreeing: rebrand will be nice. It's not critical.

I can't speak for others but it's still critical to me -- I just don't feel the need to harp on it to a group of people who are probably sick of reading my opinion for the umpteenth time (which hasn't changed: Voodoo all the way, Pelicans suck, etc.).

Thread Information