.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 31 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 525 of 907

Thread: The rebrand and name change thread part 4

  1. #501
    Pretty cool. Mr. West's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    'Round Shreveport
    Posts
    3,473
    Edit: nevermind. Just forget it. Not starting anything.

  2. #502
    Mostly Harmless 42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Between 41 and 43
    Posts
    4,899
    Not personal.

    That research fuels a fire I have no interest in, at least in the way most are.

    Again, I think this "We have enough, let's wait and see and be excited for a new name" is fine.

    I think it's very reasonable.

    The vehemence, again, was misplaced. It was never the logo and it will never be.
    __________
    "Aime la vérité, mais pardonne à l'erreur." - François-Marie Arouet (Voltaire)

  3. #503
    The Franchise    Contributor   

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Auckland New Zealand
    Posts
    2,448
    Not sure what's up with 42,

    I do agree with one part,

    The friggen logo means nothing . . . . to New Orleans. Yes the team is here to stay, great - now I can't speak for everyone but I want a logo and a name that represents New Orleans.
    Follow me on Twitter - www.twitter.com/ryinthehottub

    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

  4. #504
    The Franchise    Contributor   

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Auckland New Zealand
    Posts
    2,448
    Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    Not personal.

    That research fuels a fire I have no interest in, at least in the way most are.

    Again, I think this "We have enough, let's wait and see and be excited for a new name" is fine.

    I think it's very reasonable.

    The vehemence, again, was misplaced. It was never the logo and it will never be.
    If you have no interest in it, than dont do it. Simple.

    It seems as if you are seeing things very one eyed on a topic that everyone has a different view on.
    Last edited by RyanM; 10-29-2012 at 10:47 PM.

  5. #505
    Mostly Harmless 42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Between 41 and 43
    Posts
    4,899
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan2709 View Post
    If you have no interest in it, than dont do it. Simple.

    It seems as if you are seeing things very one eyed on a topic that everyone has a different view on.
    I don't think that's true.

    And it's not that simple. There's a difference between not caring about the topic and caring about people who care about a topic. I fall into the latter category.

    "Evil will always triumph because good is dumb." - Dark Helmet, Spaceballs

    At any rate, it's not about me. I pointed out what has been true all along and the recent lack of activity has supported: The rebrand is just not that important. Enjoy it, then move on, should it happen. If it doesn't, enjoy the Hornets and move on.

    What's wrong with that?

  6. #506
    The Franchise    Contributor   

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Auckland New Zealand
    Posts
    2,448
    Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    I don't think that's true.

    And it's not that simple. There's a difference between not caring about the topic and caring about people who care about a topic. I fall into the latter category.

    "Evil will always triumph because good is dumb." - Dark Helmet, Spaceballs

    At any rate, it's not about me. I pointed out what has been true all along and the recent lack of activity has supported: The rebrand is just not that important. Enjoy it, then move on, should it happen. If it doesn't, enjoy the Hornets and move on.

    What's wrong with that?
    I do agree with all this, its now or never for a rebrand. If we go through this season with no news it will never happen. Like you said the name isn't the most important aspect here but I like the icing on top of my cake and this would be it for me.

  7. #507
    Exactly, if the rebrand doesn't happen I will still love the hornets. Hell, I am on a message board for the team. But I want a rebrand more than any single thing to happen this year.

  8. #508
    BUZZ OFF, CHARLOTTE Teal Lantern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    620
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan2709 View Post
    I do agree with all this, its now or never for a rebrand. If we go through this season with no news it will never happen. Like you said the name isn't the most important aspect here but I like the icing on top of my cake and this would be it for me.
    A team has to notify the NBA 2 years in advance of a rebrand. I know Benson has talked to Stern about it, saying it was a "priority".
    With purple and pinstripes from days gone by, I trumpet Hugo's name to the NOLA sky. When rebranders and posers abuse their might, beware my power, TEAL LANTERN'S LIGHT!

    Forever hating the nickname, the logos, and the colors. Still backing the team I've loved since 1994.

    Stolen name. Stolen colors. Stolen identity. Still the same old worthless Slobcats. Suck sludge, Charlotte.

  9. #509
    It's not like we can do anything about it and Benson just said the other day that it remains one of his top priorities

  10. #510
    Mostly Harmless 42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Between 41 and 43
    Posts
    4,899
    The information indicates that a waiver was granted.

  11. #511
    All World Contributor FlyGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Walkin to N.O.
    Posts
    20,012
    Benson is still sounding like it will be done. John Reid is still talking about the league mandated minimum 2 years but he probably knows nothing about the waiver.

    To fully re-brand the franchise, Benson wants to change the team's nickname to something that would more closely identify it with New Orleans. Benson said he gets letters daily from fans suggesting names. Benson didn’t offer any suggested names he liked but said changing the nickname remains a priority.

    Under league rules, the NBA expects a minimum two years notice for a franchise to change its nickname. NBA Commissioner David Stern said there’s no chance of the Utah Jazz relinquishing its nickname back to New Orleans.

    "I feel strongly that we need to change that name,’’ Benson said. "When the Jazz was here that meant something to New Orleans. So we have to have something like that. Sometime in the future we’ll get a new name and it will be that much better. Maybe one that relates to our community a little closer than the Hornets do.’’
    http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss...ner_tom_4.html

  12. #512
    Mostly Harmless 42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Between 41 and 43
    Posts
    4,899
    I don't know either. Not know know. Jimmy Smith has reported it, others have talked about it indirectly, indicating when they expect the Desire (or whatever) to begin play.

    It's be cool if they announced it between now and the opening tip.

  13. #513
    Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    The Interwebs
    Posts
    9,573
    Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    The vehemence, again, was misplaced. It was never the logo and it will never be.
    Actually, to me it is. I'm tired of that friggin name. That said, I don't comment in this thread because it would just be pointless babble at this stage. I don't really buy into your argument that apathy about posting about it means people don't care one way or the other. People just realize it's a futile exercise and, quite frankly, not very interesting when it's just regurgitating the handful of ideas again and again. Look at the last ten pages or so of this thread -- other than discussion of the facts/evidence regarding the mechanics of the change the discussion on the name itself is pretty banal. It's like arguing about your favorite color.
    Last edited by Unknown Poster; 10-30-2012 at 06:23 AM.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

  14. #514
    Mostly Harmless 42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Between 41 and 43
    Posts
    4,899
    And what has changed?

    Why is it tired now and not for the last 10.5 years?

  15. #515
    Davis made me come home The JNR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mid-city
    Posts
    3,280
    Because it was tired for the past 10 years, until 5 months ago when Benson bought the team and breathed new life into it. We created all of these threads, hundreds of pages worth, in rampant discussion. Strong opinions were stated, fights were had, Voodoo was practiced. A steady stream of information helped keep things pumping. We're in that period where we are waiting for new information, but also excited for the team to start playing tomorrow. The rebrand is important to me, but right now the most important thing is what will happen on the court.

    I can post here every day that I'm excited for a rebrand, that Voodoo tops my list but I'd also be in favor of Brass or Pelicans or Dukes, but like Unknown said, after awhile there isn't much more to say. I hope we find out tomorrow what the new name is. That would be great timing to release the information if, as was speculated, the team has already picked a name. But if we don't find out tomorrow, we'll find out soon. And it'll be a great day.

  16. #516
    Mostly Harmless 42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Between 41 and 43
    Posts
    4,899
    All I read is unacknowledged agreement

  17. #517
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,941
    Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    Why is it tired now and not for the last 10.5 years?
    When this topic has been brought up over the past 10 years, it was so unlikely to happen that everyone's favorite was equally likely to win out. Of the unofficial official options we've seen leaked out, I think Voodoo is the only one with more positive than negative approval. Since that is no longer the rumor du jour I think you have gotten to the point where maybe a rebrand isn't as important, not because people don't want one, they just don't want what they see as a downgrade or even lateral move from Hornets. People want a rebrand they can get excited about, not Tom Benson replacing Shinn's generic nickname with his own local but still generic nickname.

    You are right in that the rebrand argument has often been a proxy for something else, but that doesn't mean the logo itself isn't important. It's just that Hornets isn't as tainted as others have made it out to be in the past, so the team can do worse and no one wants that.

  18. #518
    Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Westbank
    Posts
    2,439
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster View Post
    Actually, to me it is. I'm tired of that friggin name. That said, I don't comment in this thread because it would just be pointless babble at this stage. I don't really buy into your argument that apathy about posting about it means people don't care one way or the other. People just realize it's a futile exercise and, quite frankly, not very interesting when it's just regurgitating the handful of ideas again and again. Look at the last ten pages or so of this thread -- other than discussion of the facts/evidence regarding the mechanics of the change the discussion on the name itself is pretty banal. It's like arguing about your favorite color.
    purple, damn it! and don't even try suggesting anything else!
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

    "always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

  19. #519
    Hall of Famer Panic Hoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Northern Bama
    Posts
    535
    I'm just waiting for either a contest or the announcement of the new name and colors.

  20. #520
    On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Heart of the City
    Posts
    4,687
    I'm just waiting for Wednesday!
    Wherehappens.

  21. #521
    I mean, yeah, if nothing new happens for a while, active interest dips.

    I'm not super-charged every day by the thought of a rebrand right now, but if you ask me, I'll tell you I want it to happen and am excited about it, but that it's A. still far away, and B. nothing new has been said about it in a while.

    I don't feel apathy towards it; I just have more of a passive interest, since there isn't anything new to discuss or participate in.

  22. #522
    Pretty cool. Mr. West's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    'Round Shreveport
    Posts
    3,473
    Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    All I read is unacknowledged agreement
    All I read is someone trying to get a rise out of people and succeeding.

  23. #523
    Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    The Interwebs
    Posts
    9,573
    Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    And what has changed?

    Why is it tired now and not for the last 10.5 years?
    Pretty sure there were massive periods of lull in those last 10.5 years, too. Hell I didn't even post on this site for a good four or five years. I'd say the percentage of time a rerbrand wasn't discussed over the last ten years versus the amount it has been discussed is probably a ratio of around 95% to 5% I'm just not following your argument.
    Last edited by Unknown Poster; 10-30-2012 at 01:51 PM.

  24. #524
    Mostly Harmless 42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Between 41 and 43
    Posts
    4,899
    If I wanted to get a rise out of people, I could.

    So could you.

    People are agreeing: rebrand will be nice. It's not critical.

  25. #525
    Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    The Interwebs
    Posts
    9,573
    I can't speak for others but it's still critical to me -- I just don't feel the need to harp on it to a group of people who are probably sick of reading my opinion for the umpteenth time (which hasn't changed: Voodoo all the way, Pelicans suck, etc.).

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •