Pelicans Report

Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast

Thread: The rebrand and name change thread part 4

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    The last thing I want is people to find our name "hip." This isn't about what people in Ottawa think of our name. So long as the name is about us. Krewe works for that purpose.

And so does Pelicans. Though I'd rather Krewe, VooDoo, Brass, adn even Knights before that.

Arc(h) Angels too.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Pelicans will be a embarrassing disgrace to rebrand. No people will find it "hip" cool or cute but only a few New Orleans people. Let's be real people.

Yet matter of fact, pelican lovers should ask people of this website, on the streets, campus, social networks, and outer state and see how many New Orleanians and others think how "awesome" it is.

By the way I vote, Krewe,Brass, Knights, and Voodoo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Horn-et View Post
    No one, and I mean no one, outside of the city of New Orleans will find Krewe "hip," cool, or cute. Brass and VooDoo, with the right design, could have appeal outside of the region. Knights, aside from alliterative value, is no less generic than Wildcats, Eagles, Panthers, or Bulldogs.
    Going to be honest, I hate Krewe, but i would much rather that than Pelicans.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    Going to be honest, I hate Krewe, but i would much rather that than Pelicans.
    I agree. I'm not a huge fan of Krewe. I prefer Carnival as a Mardi Gras name, but I prefer Krewe over Pelicans. I think Pelicans is more suited for baseball or hockey, but not basketball. Can't explain why, but to me Pelican isn't a good basketball name.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Pelicans sounds like a MiLB team. Don't tell me you don't agree.

Pelicans would better suit a girl beach volley ball team or a terrible WNBA team

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SdotPaul504 View Post
    I really like the Pelicans! Have you guys seen the designs? It pretty swagish lol.
    Wherehappens.

Quote Originally Posted by 504s Deek View Post
    Pelicans sounds like a MiLB team. Don't tell me you don't agree.
    I don't know... maybe because it WAS a minor league baseball team's name. It's the same way Knicks sounds basketball, Packers sounds football, and Red Sox sounds baseball. If there's one and only team that you associate with a given mascot then, of course, they will be the first thing that comes to mind when it's mentioned.
    I once had some of the worst grits and drippings in the Queen City

I was lucky enough to spend the past weekend in y'alls' lovely city, and I met up with Big Dub Friday for what turned out to be a great night on the town. As an outsider, I kind of failed to grasp the 'Pelicans' thing too, but he showed me some of the new stuff he's been working on (but hasn't posted online yet), and I feel fairly confident that if y'all saw what he's drawn up (particularly the logo...wow) some minds would be changed (I know mine was).

Anybody that's seen his other designs knows he can make just about anything look good, but man...I was blown away with the Pelicans motif. Don't rule it out just yet

And yeah...New Orleans...WOW. I've never been sadder to leave a city than I was while I sat on the tarmac at MSY this morning. Thoroughly blown away. Can't wait to come back!!!
    We Beelieve: Charlotte...Take Back Your Hornets! links:

Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/We-Bee...2320741?ref=ts

Petition:
    http://www.change.org/petitions/we-b...se-the-hornets

Glad you had a good time

And I really feel that the name isn't nearly as important as the logo/theme, as you expressed with the Pelicans name and logo. Glad Dub's getting some official eyes on his work, it's the best out there that I've seen.

Arc(h) Angels sound D-League & Knights sounds college
    Twitter:SdotPaul504
    XboxLive:HHUxPresident
    Teams:New Orleans Hornets(Pelicans) & Houston Texans

Arc(h) Angels sound D-League & Knights sounds college
    That is why Dukes just sounds right.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic Hoops View Post
    Did someone draw up a logo yet

Quote Originally Posted by Panic Hoops View Post
    Love Dukes! Great name, embodies our history. With the right logo and colors it could easily work. If so, all of the accolades go directly towards Panic Hoops.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Horn-et View Post
    Love Dukes! Great name, embodies our history. With the right logo and colors it could easily work. If so, all of the accolades go directly towards Panic Hoops.

I accept your accolades, but would rather some one with connections to Benson management present this idea to them.

Did someone draw up a logo yet
    Someone made a pencil drawing in that nola.com submissions contest that was pretty darn nice. Not a fan of the name, though.

Duke is just too prevalent in basketball for people to not draw comparisons.

I'm a fan of the Hornets since like 10 years ago when they were in Charlotte, and I would want them to keep the "Hornets" as the identifier. The name, the logo, the colours of the team looks AWESOME.

If they change it I will be really dissapointed and it will not be the same anymore.

On the other hand, I guess you guys want an "own" name for the team of New Orleans city because you may "feel" like it's not yours, cos the team before arriving at your city was from Charlotte.

I'm from Barcelona by the way!
    Last edited by takezor; 08-18-2012 at 05:38 PM.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Not a question of 'if' but 'when.'
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

COMMENTARY
    What makes a great NBA uniform?

To wit: The Hornets, a fairly average club since moving to New Orleans, may not seem to have a particularly outstanding outfit. The pinstripes don't exactly mesh with this incarnation of the team, and they seem to be trying too hard with those newfangled side panels. But their locally inspired font and Mardi Gras-honoring alternates are tasteful ways to incorporate the city's flavor and culture. (The "Nola" alternates are garish, but, hey, it fits the locale.) The team's identity is its city, and the designers captured it nicely.
    http://espn.go.com/espn/playbook/sto...-ones-bad-ones

I guess the next time he does one of these we'll have new unis by then.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    COMMENTARY
    What makes a great NBA uniform?

http://espn.go.com/espn/playbook/sto...-ones-bad-ones

I guess the next time he does one of these we'll have new unis by then.
    I honestly haven't heard anyone say that do not like the mardi gras unis (that are hornets fans, other teams fans probably hate it). I don't see why we dont make that either our permanent home or away jersey.

The Mardi Gras colors would be a great look. I would enjoy seeing that color scheme as long as New Orleans is on the away jersey as opposed to the brand. I wouldn't mind seeing the city on the home jersey either.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    I honestly haven't heard anyone say that do not like the mardi gras unis (that are hornets fans, other teams fans probably hate it). I don't see why we dont make that either our permanent home or away jersey.
    u finally found one. To be honest, the mardi gras is an awful jersey. Don't like it at all. The home and away jerseys are the best ones of the whole league, together with the Lakers yellow jersey.

As far as our jerseys go,
    Let's face it, the stripes are awful.
    The mardi gras jersey's are just painful on the eyes
    I really hate the New Orleans in one row across the jerseys our name is too long for that.
    I really like the two colors that are in the same shadish, it leads to a really visually attractive look, and it's important to keep it simple, the Rockets jerseys are a perfect example of the resulting awfulness if you don't.
    A perfect example of what I'm talking about are these throwback Lakers Jerseys, put the New and Orleans on different levels like that

I don't really know what you can do with a Voodoo color scheme, I just think it's a recipe for disaster (pun intended). I mean no one really cares what your name is really, Clippers and Knickerbokers? Most people have no idea what those are. I would just pick a name that identifies with Nola and can be visually appealing in logo/color scheme/jersey
    Last edited by BeeBall Reasons; 08-22-2012 at 03:47 AM.

The Mardi Gras unis are awesome, and most uni analysts agree.

Mardi Gras jersey is awesome. I love the garishness and the over-the-top look it has.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Has anybody thought about the name Believers? We can keep the whole "Bees" thing. Our mascot can even still be a Bee. Maybe even black and gold although I would prefer something other than black. Maybe like a red and gold. Thoughts?????

Thread Information