Pelicans Report

Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

Thread: The rebrand and name change thread part 4

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    Fans voted for Voodoo back in the day.

Read up on the contest for the Texans. Sham.

Wizards? I'm sure it won... because Seadogs and Dragons were among the competitors.

Billionaires get their way. The rest is illusion.
    you guys really do your research... looking at the texans, first though is i like the Toros name. and refreshing to see that the texans was used on another franchise is another sport, similar situation.

personally, i'm pro hornets but i've become more open to the rebuild mainly because it seems inevitable. my ONLY HOPE is for them not to give the name back to Charlotte.

I try. I'm not going to have all the facts, but if I can bring 90% of the good stuff 90% of the time, I'm better than a coin flip.

Let me add: Kudos to you for not taking anyone just on their word, but considering someone's word as something worth checking. That's how we're going to get better and smarter as a fanbase.

Also, I didn't think of the Texans-Chiefs thing as a parallel. Good job, seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    I try. I'm not going to have all the facts, but if I can bring 90% of the good stuff 90% of the time, I'm better than a coin flip.

Let me add: Kudos to you for not taking anyone just on their word, but considering someone's word as something worth checking. That's how we're going to get better and smarter as a fanbase.

Also, I didn't think of the Texans-Chiefs thing as a parallel. Good job, seriously.
    facts are much more beneficial than opinions, much better seeing you and UP go back and forth than just seeing people throw in their 2 cents on how they currently feel

Quote Originally Posted by CP3nDX30 View Post

personally, i'm pro hornets but i've become more open to the rebuild mainly because it seems inevitable. my ONLY HOPE is for them not to give the name back to Charlotte.
    Why? The name Hornets began in Charlotte and quite frankly never should have been allowed to leave. ( team names should stay if a franchise relocates).

Obviously, the name doesn't matter to many people in New Orleans and still has a huge following in Charlotte.

Www.bringbackthebuzz.com

Unknown Poster . . . who is that guy anyway?

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

Quote Originally Posted by Jgib23 View Post
    Why? The name Hornets began in Charlotte and quite frankly never should have been allowed to leave. ( team names should stay if a franchise relocates).

Obviously, the name doesn't matter to many people in New Orleans and still has a huge following in Charlotte.

Www.bringbackthebuzz.com
    because it moved with this team. being a fan of this team for a long time i was there for all transactions, movements, everything ever since i was a little kid watching LJ. and to all the sudden take your teams history and throw it on a team with kemba walker, MKG, etc. just is odd to me.

it would cause so much confusion because people will still recall the new orleans team as the Hornets. I know there's no jazz in Utah, but it'd be strange to all the sudden be the new orleans jazz here again if they changed their name. then who's the team that finished 2nd in the east behind CP3? does all that stuff travel back with the hornets name, or stick with the new orleans name? should the OKC thunder sell OKC Hornets gear?

originally being a charlotte hornets fan, i am loyal to that franchise. and that franchise is now in new orleans. to throw Hornets back in the mix confused matters. charlotte hornets gear loses its uniqueness. there'd be nothing "throwback" about it anymore. i think it's odd that the new orleans hornets store on NBA.com sells pistol pete jerseys under this team instead of the Utah Jazz. i'm not saying whats wrong or right, just saying it's much better to avoid confusion if you can. announcers would have a nightmare with it
    Last edited by AD23nEG10; 07-21-2012 at 10:24 PM.

Worth noting the AFL Voodoo lost tonight meaning they will not be in the playoffs -- their season is over. If Benson is still interested, it would make sense for negotiations to start heating up again. Also stealing from 42 from the thread on SportsKrewe, consider how a brand sale/cash could help the league/owners during a protracted labor fight. A few million dollars in your pocket certainly helps strengthen your leverage and ability to withstand the cancellation of games.

Teeef!!! Teeeef!!!!

The Artist    Contributor   
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster View Post
    Worth noting the AFL Voodoo lost tonight meaning they will not be in the playoffs -- their season is over. If Benson is still interested, it would make sense for negotiations to start heating up again. Also stealing from 42 from the thread on SportsKrewe, consider how a brand sale/cash could help the league/owners during a protracted labor fight. A few million dollars in your pocket certainly helps strengthen your leverage and ability to withstand the cancellation of games.
    They're in because Tampa Bay lost to Spokane. They live to fight another day! If the name is going to be VooDoo and the AFL does stick around for however many years, just rebrand them into the Breakers and call it a day. Maybe somebody brings back a minor league hockey team and resurrects the Brass so that we can all live happily our nostalgia!

Argh... they need to die and get this over with!

Argh... they need to die and get this over with!

Quote Originally Posted by CP3nDX30 View Post
    because it moved with this team. being a fan of this team for a long time i was there for all transactions, movements, everything ever since i was a little kid watching LJ. and to all the sudden take your teams history and throw it on a team with kemba walker, MKG, etc. just is odd to me.

it would cause so much confusion because people will still recall the new orleans team as the Hornets. I know there's no jazz in Utah, but it'd be strange to all the sudden be the new orleans jazz here again if they changed their name. then who's the team that finished 2nd in the east behind CP3? does all that stuff travel back with the hornets name, or stick with the new orleans name? should the OKC thunder sell OKC Hornets gear?

originally being a charlotte hornets fan, i am loyal to that franchise. and that franchise is now in new orleans. to throw Hornets back in the mix confused matters. charlotte hornets gear loses its uniqueness. there'd be nothing "throwback" about it anymore. i think it's odd that the new orleans hornets store on NBA.com sells pistol pete jerseys under this team instead of the Utah Jazz. i'm not saying whats wrong or right, just saying it's much better to avoid confusion if you can. announcers would have a nightmare with it

The announcers and media already have a problem with it after a decade, the Hornets are still called the Charlotte Hornets in articles 100's of times a year. I think that's a reason the fans in New Orleans have wanted a change for so long, they want seperation from Charlotte.

The fans in Charlotte don't care about who keeps the team records. We just want the name and Hugo back. The name is very important to Charlotte and goes beyond the NBA. Charlotte has been called the Hornets Nest for longer than the United States has been free from control of the British. See you tube video below.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=zsZI6TjfzxI

Do you think our preferences matter in this?

Trust me, Charlotte guy, no one in New Orleans outside of a wacky 0.05% wants the Hornets name to stay.

I think there is a publication bias against the apathy on the point (people who don't care, and those that don't know they don't care, don't shout it from the rooftops), but I think few are those that will truly be grumbling about changing from Hornets after a season under a new brand.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Not true, Tampa lost so NO is in the playoffs and will play the Soul.
    Wherehappens.

Acknowledged as much a couple of posts up~

Acknowledged as much a couple of posts up~
    Hadn't seen that yet, point stands. They might be really hard to get to let go of the name if they could advance past the Soul. Marketing dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    Hadn't seen that yet, point stands. They might be really hard to get to let go of the name if they could advance past the Soul. Marketing dream.
    They won't! The VooDoo sucks!

fwiw

The Phoenix Suns will have a new look next season.

Sort of.

According to Uni-Watch.com, many NBA teams will be adding a jersey for next season, including the Suns.

"I saw the Spring 2013 Adidas NBA Catalog and there are some new on-court offerings," says Chris Blackstone. "There are new jerseys for Christmas Day and for home weekend games during the second half of season, called the Winter Court jerseys. They're monochrome like the all- black Miami uniforms from the past couple years, but in team colors. Also, there are Hardwood Classic jerseys for Indiana (home from 1997-98 through 2004-05), Milwaukee (late '90s), Chicago (mid-'90s alternate), Atlanta (late-'90s road), Miami (late-'90s alternate), Sacramento (mid-'90s alternate), Phoenix (1990s alternate), Philly (early-'90s road), Cleveland (mid-'90s road), Toronto (late-'90ss home), Houston (late-'90s road), and Utah (late-'90s road)."

Nice.

The jersey, which debuted in the mid-90s and was worn until the team changed its look in 2000, is black with the "sun burst" across the chest.

It is unknown how many times the Suns will don the black jerseys and in which games they will do so, but the important thing is they will wear them.

I m sure this has been answered but do we know yet if we will rebrand this coming season or we will wait until the season after that? (davis and rivers' 2nd year)

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    I m sure this has been answered but do we know yet if we will rebrand this coming season or we will wait until the season after that? (davis and rivers' 2nd year)
    Unknown.

Likely next offseason, but if it"s this offseason, it'll be Voodoo.

Voodoo lost. If any of the previous semi-informed speculation is to gain traction it'll do so in the next few weeks/month. Winning a title (even the crappy AFL title) would probably have raised the 'value' of the brand but now it pretty much is what it is -- if Benson really wants it then negotiations should resume. Otherwise he'll just move on in search of another name.

According to this:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/81...-replay-tweaks

There is no BoG meeting scheduled 'soon', but they can approve certain things without convening. So there is no obstacle there (this stuff can easily be handled electronically, branding).

It would need to happen soon for it to happen this season, and it'd be tough. They could also make the purchase, try to hold it back, and do it next offseason. Best to go ahead and buy it now in any case if they want it, agreed.

Thread Information