Pelicans Report

Page 24 of 37 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 ... LastLast

Thread: The rebrand and name change thread part 4

Quote Originally Posted by neworleanshoo View Post
    the height of delusion.

the hornets nickname will be embraced in charlotte, and we couldn't be happier for them. and the NEW new orleans moniker will be equally embraced by locals down here, no matter what it is.
    If you mean "we" as in most of the posters on Hornets Report, then I'd agree. But I've talked to quite a few hardcore Hornets fans who have stuck with the team through the move. There are going to be a lot of hard feelings about seeing another franchise branding itself with our history. Personally, I think that's going to be harder to swallow than Benson rebranding this team.
    Old fan. Tired fan. I want to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet Hysteria View Post
    If you mean "we" as in most of the posters on Hornets Report, then I'd agree. But I've talked to quite a few hardcore Hornets fans who have stuck with the team through the move. There are going to be a lot of hard feelings about seeing another franchise branding itself with our history. Personally, I think that's going to be harder to swallow than Benson rebranding this team.

I think this Hornets "HISTORY" that you speak of is relative. First, all of that history, those memories that come to your mind are probably tied to the Charlotte era Hornets.

Every thing you say only makes a little bit of sense, the only fans that had any reason to be upset was the actual fans in Charlotte, they lost their team because of a crap bag of an owner and didn't get to keep the name in town.

Every time i see somebody on t.v., in a magazine or walking around town, even in this town wearing a throwback Charlotte Hornets hat it just reinforce the idea that this team needs to be rebranded, that history is not the history of the team that plays in New Orleans, the players, coaches and fans of the hornets.

The fact is you say "HISTORY", well if its history, that won't ever change it took place, it's memories that will always be there and they are all tied Charlotte.

The original name, logo and colors will be back where it belongs, if you have no ties to this city and the only thing that matters is the Hornets than it shouldn't matter to you where they play, actually it should mean more that it's old historical name will now return in it's complete form, obviously it doesn't matter who plays for the hornets right, because players have changed over the years.

But I think your biggest problem with just switching teams now once the rebrand happens is that this version of the hornets now have Anthony Davis among other young talent that's heading in the right direction and the idea of supporting the players on the current Bobcat's roster makes you sick right now.

Quote Originally Posted by NemesisKING View Post
    I think this Hornets "HISTORY" that you speak of is relative. First, all of that history, those memories that come to your mind are probably tied to the Charlotte era Hornets.

Every thing you say only makes a little bit of sense, the only fans that had any reason to be upset was the actual fans in Charlotte, they lost their team because of a crap bag of an owner and didn't get to keep the name in town.

Every time i see somebody on t.v., in a magazine or walking around town, even in this town wearing a throwback Charlotte Hornets hat it just reinforce the idea that this team needs to be rebranded, that history is not the history of the team that plays in New Orleans, the players, coaches and fans of the hornets.

The fact is you say "HISTORY", well if its history, that won't ever change it took place, it's memories that will always be there and they are all tied Charlotte.

The original name, logo and colors will be back where it belongs, if you have no ties to this city and the only thing that matters is the Hornets than it shouldn't matter to you where they play, actually it should mean more that it's old historical name will now return in it's complete form, obviously it doesn't matter who plays for the hornets right, because players have changed over the years.

But I think your biggest problem with just switching teams now once the rebrand happens is that this version of the hornets now have Anthony Davis among other young talent that's heading in the right direction and the idea of supporting the players on the current Bobcat's roster makes you sick right now.
    I'll be blunt, regardless of the reaction: Charlotte needs to move on. I don't support "Bring back the buzz", and never will. In the future, perhaps all pro sports leagues will adopt rules to keep names/colors/logos in town, but what's done is done. The real Hornets left and they are never coming back.

Where you and I can never agree is that the Charlotte/New Orleans history of the Hornets isn't the same. That's the very reason why I'll still support this team even through a rebrand and would never support a new team in Charlotte called "the Hornets". I have no problem with people who support the hometown team, but my loyalty isn't tied to geography. It's about the franchise that I've loved since '94. If Benson suddenly moved the team to Saudi Arabia tomorrow, I'd still back the Tabuk Hornets.

And, no, I wouldn't cheer the Bobcats even if they established a dynasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster View Post
    That's because you're from Chicago.

Nothing to see here, just another generic fan whose allegiance is tied to a logo. You guys can feel free to go back rooting for the Charlotte Hornets. You won't be missed. Not by the other fans or by Benson and his piles and piles of money. Pretty sure an 85 year old couldn't care less about losing a few million on the margins and that's assuming his new brand doesn't sell like gangbusters throughout the Gulf South (which it probably will).
    I've been rooting for this team since Kelly Tripucka was the leading scorer. I assure you I am a bigger fan of the New Orleans Hornets than you will ever be. It will be a weird thing if this team becomes the "Pelicans" and Charlotte becomes the Hornets. I honestly don't know who I would root for. maybe both.

I just told my coworker who's from Charlotte about Benson rebranding the team soon. He was like GOOD!! He has a real bad taste in his mouth about the Hornets, mostly George Shinn. He felt sorry for us when they moved to N.O. He said he knew eventually he would run the team into the ground in NOLA too. He had me crackin up tho. He was like they sucked...the Charlotte Hornets always sucked. He said when he was in the 7th grade there was some contest they were doing where they had to sale candy. They told them that whoever sold the most candy would win a dinner with "an NBA team". They were all excited. He ended up winning. He said they announced the winner over the intercom and was like "Congradulations (my coworkers name)!! You just won a dinner with the Charlotte Hornets!!" He said it was like they sucked the life out of him. He wasn't even excited. I was DYIN!! I told him I didn't believe him. So came back like an hour later and he got his mom to text him the pic of him and some bench player she still had in the house. I asked him who the player was and he was like "I don't ******* know because I didn't care in the slightest. Do you see a smile on my face in the picture...no you just see dissapointment..."

I had tears in my eyes I was laughing so hard. This guy HATED that team while it was in Charlotte with a passion. LMAO!!!
    Last edited by Miss_318; 11-06-2012 at 12:58 PM.

I think most fans loved the Hornets while they were there. At least until the last season or two when things started going sour (mainly with Shinn). Out of the 14 seasons they were there I think they missed the playoffs like maybe 6 or 7 times so I wouldn't necessarily say they 'always sucked'. They also ranked #1 in attendance a couple of those seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    I've been rooting for this team since Kelly Tripucka was the leading scorer. I assure you I am a bigger fan of the New Orleans Hornets than you will ever be. It will be a weird thing if this team becomes the "Pelicans" and Charlotte becomes the Hornets. I honestly don't know who I would root for. maybe both.
    Saying "I'm a bigger fan of the New Orleans Hornets than you will ever be" and then saying you don't know who you will root for seems contradictory. Not to mention how ridiculous it is to call out another persons fandom.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    Saying "I'm a bigger fan of the New Orleans Hornets than you will ever be" and then saying you don't know who you will root for seems contradictory. Not to mention how ridiculous it is to call out another persons fandom.
    Correct on both

BIGGEST FAN IN HISTORY

I DUNNO ABOUT THAT NAME, I'M A HEAT FAN NOW
    Wherehappens.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    That was about as biopolar a comment as humanly possible.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Bigger fan of the Charlotte Hornets, maybe. Newsflash: They died ten years ago.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    I think most fans loved the Hornets while they were there. At least until the last season or two when things started going sour (mainly with Shinn). Out of the 14 seasons they were there I think they missed the playoffs like maybe 6 or 7 times so I wouldn't necessarily say they 'always sucked'. They also ranked #1 in attendance a couple of those seasons.
    Correct, Hunny. We led the league in attendance for 9 of 14 seasons, including 364 consecutive sellouts (in the league's largest basketball-only facility) between '88 and '97.

In the spectrum of Charlotte Hornet-fandom, Miss_318's friend sounds like a tall-tale-teller or an extreme negative outlier.

(Sorry if this veers things a little off-topic, just felt the neck hairs bristling and had to spit something out )
    Last edited by John Morgan; 11-06-2012 at 02:54 PM.
    We Beelieve: Charlotte...Take Back Your Hornets! links:

Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/We-Bee...2320741?ref=ts

Petition:
    http://www.change.org/petitions/we-b...se-the-hornets

You guys can have all the banners, records, jerseys, history, etc. I'll be happy to pack it all in boxes and drive it up myself once Benson rebrands the team. It should operate just like the Browns did in the NFL.

Dude, forget Charlotte. It was an unpleasant situation to be sure, but the city could have kept the Hornets if they had wanted it enough. The fact is fans stopped attending because they let Shinn's personal antics cloud their support to the team. Then the Hornets became a political pawn and that assured their move. I only feel sorry for the fans who supported the team through the Shinn cyclone and the move. For the fans who withdrew their support because the owner was a jerk, I have no sympathy. You should support the team through thick and thin, end of story.

And just because I feel like saying it--the Panthers suck.
    Last edited by Teal Lantern; 11-07-2012 at 08:54 AM.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    If this goes down, the Hornets brand are the NBA version of the Browns. Ask Cleveland fans how they feel about that.

Escaped monkey island! all2neat's Avatar
    People that live in and around the NOLA metro area for the most part want a new name. We understand what it's like for another city (Utah Jazz) to have our name.. Why not help them out. It mutually beneficial.

Rebrand! Rebrand! Rebrand!

J

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    Yeah I could tell that Shinn was the reason for most of his anger towards the team. Like I said e said he was happy for us that we have an actual owner now and are rebranding. I just thought it was a funny story cuz he was sooooo serious when he was telling me about it. LOL

After watching the game last night, I really think we should go with yellow as the primary color. It really stands out well on the court.

I was the worlds biggest Charlotte Hornets fan and can't wait until the name comes back home. Charlotte never stopped supporting the Hornets, what Charlotte didn't do was continue to support Shinn and build him a new hive.

The good people in New Orleans won't remember this but, before they were the New Orleans Hornets, Shinn had flirted with them one season earlier being the Norfolk Hornets, and the Louisville Hornets.

Also, our now NC Governor Pat McCroy, was then Charlotte Mayor. mcCroy tried unsuccessfully to negotiate with Shinn to keep the Hornets name in Charlotte and Shinn wouldn't negotiate.

The name returning will heal some deep wounds here in Charlotte.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet Hysteria View Post
    After watching the game last night, I really think we should go with yellow as the primary color. It really stands out well on the court.

No.

Not to mention that with a new brand, they will need a whole new design for the court.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster View Post
    No.
    YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Not to mention that with a new brand, they will need a whole new design for the court.
    Not necessarily. I could see Benson keeping the "NOLA" letting and/or some version of purple/green/yellow (or gold) for the unis, although I'll be surprised if there is any blue.

I found this for those who might find it delightful

http://www.teamontop.com/product/New...Shirt_20126361

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pelicans1-t.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	4410

Its getting to the point where i truly would like to just keep the Hornets name. How OKC, and Brooklynn been lookig with rebranding, im kinda afraid how our new unis, and brand would look. Also, the arena is being filled with blue seats, so im assuming that rebranding is not something thats serious right now.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

That's not getting to the point, Silv. You were ALWAYS at the point, I thought.

I don't care about how pretty you can make the logo or the color scheme.

Change the name!

Thread Information