Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Austin Rivers would love to play in New Orleans {title edit}

Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN View Post
    What about his game makes you say this? He turned the ball over way too much in college.
    Rivers averaged 2.3 TOs per game while Beal averaged 2.1 TOs per game. Just to give you a comparison.

Can't expect freshmen prospects to be perfect, and Rivers had the ball in his hands a lot more than Beal, so I would say he is more careful with the ball than Beal is.

What about his game makes you say this? He turned the ball over way too much in college.
    Not neccesarily his game, more so that he isn't going to be the one bringing the ball up as PG of this team this season if we get him. Gordon isn't going to defer to a rookie PG in Rivers. Rivers will get his field goal attempts. He doesn't get stripped, but he is not a great passer.
    When he started the season, Rivers turned it over a lot, but when he began getting serious minutes (30+ mpg beginning Jan.4th), Rivers improved his handling of of the ball.

Here is a stat sheet with charts for you: http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/pla...3=turnover_pct
    Formally known as WhoDatMan504

Austin Rivers, of all guard prospects, is now referring to himself as a PG. I didn't think I'd hear those words come out of his mouth.

yeah we need more help at SF or C, but do yall really think we're trying to build a contender for *next* season? This is a multi-season project.

If we think Rivers is BPA at #10, we wait til next offseason's FAs and draft to find a SF and C, no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by mdaniel View Post
    Austin Rivers, of all guard prospects, is now referring to himself as a PG. I didn't think I'd hear those words come out of his mouth.
    There are different types of PGs. He fits the Derrick Rose style, but Rivers is a better shooter, and Rose is a better passer. Passing can be learned, though, especially with a player as young as Rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by daybreaker View Post
    yeah we need more help at SF or C, but do yall really think we're trying to build a contender for *next* season? This is a multi-season project.

If we think Rivers is BPA at #10, we wait til next offseason's FAs and draft to find a SF and C, no big deal.
    Exactly. If Rivers has All Star potential, then we grab him and develop him.

Let's not hide behind the bush. Rivers is a total project at PG. He has the tools to play the position but he's going to have to learn to play the position with the mindset. The failure rate will be high but he has tools to play other roles if it doesn't work out.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    There are different types of PGs. He fits the Derrick Rose style, but Rivers is a better shooter, and Rose is a better passer. Passing can be learned, though, especially with a player as young as Rivers.
    I'd prefer my Point not have to learn to pass, but I guess that's just me.

I see the star qualities in Rivers and understand why he's as worthy a pick at ten as the other candidates, but I don't like the idea of forcing a square peg into a round hole.

Rivers averaged 2.3 TOs per game while Beal averaged 2.1 TOs per game. Just to give you a comparison.

Can't expect freshmen prospects to be perfect, and Rivers had the ball in his hands a lot more than Beal, so I would say he is more careful with the ball than Beal is.
    Rivers would be coming here to become a PG. A PG that does not distribute and has more TOs than assists has to raise some concerns. If not, I am not sure why not. I do not recall anyone saying Beal would be a PG.

If he comes to the Hornets, I will hope he pans out at PG. He would not be a bad pick at 10 (there could be much worse). I am just not a huge fan of his style. If he becomes a Hornet, I will expect that Monty can mold him.

I'd prefer my Point not have to learn to pass, but I guess that's just me.

I see the star qualities in Rivers and understand why he's as worthy a pick at ten as the other candidates, but I don't like the idea of forcing a square peg into a round hole.
    The point is that he is a young, moldable player. Monty knows what he can do. He has worked him out personally, and he knows his mindset. If we pick him, it is because Monty believes 100% that he can teach Rivers how to run the point, and I trust Monty.

Who played PG for Duke? Rivers or Curry?

I'm not comparing River and Gordon to Wade and James. I was comparing your notion that Rivers and EJ can't co-exist because they are both penetrators. Wade and James are 2 of the best penetrators in the game, and they co-exist perfectly. That was the point I was trying to make.

Who at Duke can give him some help, offensively? Nobody. The Plumlees suck. They are just big athletes who can't do anything but jump and rebound. The opposing defenses focused solely on him, and he could get to the rim whenever he wanted to. That is elite. That is a rare gift.

Also, while at Duke, he played SG - not PG. His job wasn't to get others involved. It was to score.

I'd say he was an elite scorer for his age. I'll give you 2 stat lines:

Player A - 33 minutes, 15.5 points and 2.1 assists on 43.3% from the field and 36.5% from 3

Player B - 34 minutes, 14.6 points and 2.2 assists on 44.5% from the field and 33.9% from 3

Player A is Rivers, and Player B is Beal. Now, I'm not one for stats. I like to identify tools, so I won't harp on the stats, but Beal is widely considered a top-3 player in the draft. He is considered a "great shooter" and an elite offensive prospect with "Ray Allen" potential, yet Rivers dribbles better, gets to the hole easier, shoots the 3 better, is more clutch, and passes the same.

I'm just saying...
    His job as the best player on the team was to win by making the best play........ Lehigh

Rivers would be coming here to become a PG. A PG that does not distribute and has more TOs than assists has to raise some concerns. If not, I am not sure why not. I do not recall anyone saying Beal would be a PG.
    I still see Gordon being the guy who runs this offense if we have Rivers and Gordon at Pg/Sg...

You have to understand that we don't need a conventional PG next to Eric Gordon. Monty said he wants a scorer - a guy who can get to the rim and create his own shot. This was tweeted earlier today:

Jeff Duncan ‏@JeffDuncanTP
    Monty Williams ID'd 2 qualities he'd like to add to the Hornets roster this offseason: length at the basket (AD) & offensive creativity.

Jeff Duncan ‏@JeffDuncanTP
    Williams defined offensive creativity as the ability to create own shot, get to rim and/or get to FT line. Wants to add a compliment to EG.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    Neither. I would say neither. They were ball handlers. They didn't have a PG.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    Let's not hide behind the bush. Rivers is a total project at PG. He has the tools to play the position but he's going to have to learn to play the position with the mindset. The failure rate will be high but he has tools to play other roles if it doesn't work out.
    I agree. I think he'll find an NBA role one way or another. The fact that he's actually calling himself a Point Guard in interviews before the draft even happens is what interests me. I suppose his embracing the idea at this juncture makes me more open to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    His job as the best player on the team was to win by making the best play........ Lehigh
    You could say the same thing about Lillard, who is widely considered a score-first PG.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatMan504 View Post
    I still see Gordon being the guy who runs this offense if we have Rivers and Gordon at Pg/Sg...
    Agreed. That's why we don't need a conventional PG.

Think outside the box people!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    Neither. I would say neither. They were ball handlers. They didn't have a PG.
    Thanks Nola Hornet.

Curry technically but all he really did was bring the ball up, pass it to the off guard and go spot up

Curry technically but all he really did was bring the ball up, pass it to the off guard and go spot up
    Thanks Nola3. I didn't watch a lot of Duke last season so I was wondering why both Rivers and Curry only averaged 2.1 and 2.4 apg. It would make sense if neither of them carried real PG duties.

You could say the same thing about Lillard, who is widely considered a score-first PG.

Agreed. That's why we don't need a conventional PG.

Think outside the box people!!!
    Lillard has nothing to do with Rivers. He'll be gone by 10 anyway.

And maybe we don't need a conventional point, but we need one guard who is willing to make the right play whether its hitting the open man or driving the lane and finishing.
    Look at the best comp to Rivers/Gordon: Curry and Ellis. How did that work out?

Thanks Nola3. I didn't watch a lot of Duke last season so I was wondering why both Rivers and Curry only averaged 2.1 and 2.4 apg. It would make sense if neither of them carried real PG duties.
    Tyler Thornton also ran the point a good bit. Duke's offense wasn't great last year. They had no post game to speak of, and it was a lot of Rivers-iso, which seemed by design.

I'm not one to question Coach K, but their team offense was all over the place. Just not enough talent.

Lillard has nothing to do with Rivers. He'll be gone by 10 anyway.

And maybe we don't need a conventional point, but we need one guard who is willing to make the right play whether its hitting the open man or driving the lane and finishing.
    Look at the best comp to Rivers/Gordon: Curry and Ellis. How did that work out?
    That is a horrible comparison. Curry can't create his own shot, and Gordon is a better offensive (and defensive) player than Ellis. Gordon is a fantastic passer, and we can run the offense through him if need be, which is why we can afford to have a scoring PG like Rivers. Curry is a complimentary PG, not a CHOS guy like Rivers is.

I'm not comparing River and Gordon to Wade and James. I was comparing your notion that Rivers and EJ can't co-exist because they are both penetrators. Wade and James are 2 of the best penetrators in the game, and they co-exist perfectly. That was the point I was trying to make.

Who at Duke can give him some help, offensively? Nobody. The Plumlees suck. They are just big athletes who can't do anything but jump and rebound. The opposing defenses focused solely on him, and he could get to the rim whenever he wanted to. That is elite. That is a rare gift.

Also, while at Duke, he played SG - not PG. His job wasn't to get others involved. It was to score.

I'd say he was an elite scorer for his age. I'll give you 2 stat lines:

Player A - 33 minutes, 15.5 points and 2.1 assists on 43.3% from the field and 36.5% from 3

Player B - 34 minutes, 14.6 points and 2.2 assists on 44.5% from the field and 33.9% from 3

Player A is Rivers, and Player B is Beal. Now, I'm not one for stats. I like to identify tools, so I won't harp on the stats, but Beal is widely considered a top-3 player in the draft. He is considered a "great shooter" and an elite offensive prospect with "Ray Allen" potential, yet Rivers dribbles better, gets to the hole easier, shoots the 3 better, is more clutch, and passes the same.

I'm just saying...
    Damn... Where's that "Draft Rivers" line again? I'm in it!

Lets not forget that EJ.. as talented as he is... ha snot been the healthiest of players since he's been in the league. I like the idea of having another attacker on the floor. The Wade/LBJ comparisons are legit but there's 1 problem with the comparison... while Wade and LBJ are all-world players neither one of them can hold EJs jock as a shooter. So while Rivers can penetrate and attack the basket he's got a legit 3-point shooter to kick it to.

I'd love for us to take Rivers at 10. We need more scoring... and anybody that doesn't think we could use another scorer only needs to look at one of the many games from last season where we scored in the 80s.... sometimes 70s.

That is a horrible comparison. Curry can't create his own shot, and Gordon is a better offensive (and defensive) player than Ellis. Gordon is a fantastic passer, and we can run the offense through him if need be, which is why we can afford to have a scoring PG like Rivers. Curry is a complimentary PG, not a CHOS guy like Rivers is.
    Curry might not be able to get to the rim as easily as Rivers (in college), but he is amazing at moving without the ball and getting into space. Gordon is better than both, I agree with that. But starting a ball stopper next to him who waits around for the ball to come to him and has no semblance of court vision or passing ability would kill the offense. Rivers would be great coming off the bench, but at #10 in this draft I would hope we go for more than a 6th man.

Thread Information