Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Austin Rivers would love to play in New Orleans {title edit}

Banned
    taking minutes from gordon hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa yea

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    You don't need gurus. I'm a huge Duke fan and I watched at least 10-12 games this year. Rivers doesn't move well off the ball. Demands the ball 30 feet from the basket. Dribbles incessantly when he gets it. Doesn't look up, especially when driving to the rack. Takes innumerable stupid shots. Plays lax D. Does he have a unique and intriguing skill set? Obviously. But when it comes to his mentality and gaping holes in his game, I'll pass on him in the top 10.
    I'm not a duke fan, so I will admit I'm sure you saw a lot more of him in game time situations than I did, but what I did see during workouts/combines, highlights, etc,... is that the kid has game, and a skillset that can serve him well in the nba... the poor shot selection, and excessive dribbling, as well as the other flaws in his game you mentioned can be corrected with good coaching, and nba experience. what I was questioning was the character issues that keep getting attacked. I just don't think they are valid, I don't understand why the kids sense of proffesionalism and lockerroom presence would be questioned, considering his pedigree.( and comparing him to Ricky Davis like Chad Ford does... does just that)

But having him with Gordon is redundant and unnecessary. He would take shots and presumably minutes away from Gordon while potentially harming team chemistry (which is vital to a young team). I realize that his skill set is elite and if you gave his skills to a player who was less of a chucker, and who knew how to play in a team construct then I would take him in a second. I'm not questioning his skills, I'm questioning him.
    Firstly, having 2 scorers on your team doesn't make it redundant. You could argue that Wade and LeBron are redundant because they are both penetrators, but they just won a Championship together.

Secondly, Rivers wouldn't take any minutes away from EJ. If you watch Monty's interview about him, he says he thinks he can play PG because he is such a great ball handler. Monty also said that he wants a guy who can create his own shot playing next to Gordon, and Rivers is the best CHOS guy in this whole draft.

He is labeled a chucker because he has played with scrubs his whole career. He had no help at both Winter Park and Duke, so he was forced to take a lot of shots. Monty is great at putting players in a "box." He forces them to play within that "box," so they can improve their skills with out hurting the team or developing bad habits. Monty wouldn't let him be a chucker on this team, and that is why I think we are the best situation for Rivers - because he respects Monty so much that he'll do anything he says.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Apparently both dell and Monty have discussed converting him to point guard and both have apparently seen things in his workouts that suggest he will be able to make that switch.

I'm personally not the biggest rivers fan but that does make me feel a little bit better since I'm pretty sure were going to pick him if he's there.
    Looks like we kind of have to trust them, sure seems like this is gonna happen.
    Wherehappens.

I hope I'm wrong if we take him. And if I am I'll be happy to admit it. But I just don't see him changing his personality overnight just because he's close to Monty.

But having him with Gordon is redundant and unnecessary. He would take shots and presumably minutes away from Gordon while potentially harming team chemistry (which is vital to a young team). I realize that his skill set is elite and if you gave his skills to a player who was less of a chucker, and who knew how to play in a team construct then I would take him in a second. I'm not questioning his skills, I'm questioning him.
    I seems that you are questioning his ability to learn to manage a nba game, and your entitled to feel that way based on what you witnessed at Duke, that's where our opinions differ, i think experience, good players/leaders around him, and more importantly GOOD coaching can fix that... I believe he can get all of that here, we will probably be picking in the lottery again next year, so why not take a chance on an elite talent, and let him learn while we take our lumps anyway.

Banned
    u dont take minutes, u earn them. best man plays, the only person it would affect is henry

I'm not necessarily a Rivers fan at all.......but I am a fan of developing a player that actually WANTS to be here. His stock is up in my book after saying that.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Firstly, having 2 scorers on your team doesn't make it redundant. You could argue that Wade and LeBron are redundant because they are both penetrators, but they just won a Championship together.

Secondly, Rivers wouldn't take any minutes away from EJ. If you watch Monty's interview about him, he says he thinks he can play PG because he is such a great ball handler. Monty also said that he wants a guy who can create his own shot playing next to Gordon, and Rivers is the best CHOS guy in this whole draft.

He is labeled a chucker because he has played with scrubs his whole career. He had no help at both Winter Park and Duke, so he was forced to take a lot of shots. Monty is great at putting players in a "box." He forces them to play within that "box," so they can improve their skills with out hurting the team or developing bad habits. Monty wouldn't let him be a chucker on this team, and that is why I think we are the best situation for Rivers - because he respects Monty so much that he'll do anything he says.
    Wade and James comparison? Kinda reaching. And playing Rivers at point would be like playing Monte at point. He has no court vision and rarely looks to others. And yes he can create his own shot but usually it takes him an entire shot clock to do so. And he did not play with scrubs his whole career. Yes, in high school he was playing with rich white kids, but guess what? He was also playing against them. At Duke his teammates were far from scrubs. He played with the Plumlee brothers who both have decent post games and an array of shooters who, while they may not be able to consistently create offense can knock down 3s like few other teams in the country. Rivers failed to take advantage of those skills and it cost his team dearly.

Look I don't hate Rivers as much as I'm making it seem. He's a good scorer with good potential with holes that hopefully Monty would minimize. But as far as taking him at 10, I think that's way too high for a player with his issues, especially if we want him at point.

I'd feel a lot better if we were picking 9. Davis-MKG-Beal-TRob-Barnes-Drummond-Lillard-Waiters-Rivers-#10??? Leonard? Zeller? Lamb? Henson? None of that excites me too much.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    He is only 19. Every player his age (even Davis) has gaping holes in his game. The fact is that he has several elite skills/traits.

He is an elite ball handler (compared to his age group). He is an elite scorer. He is an elite closer. Those are 3 major MAJOR qualities in a young player that he can lean on while he develops the rest of his game. It's not like we have a coach who hates rookies *cough* Byron Scott *cough*. Monty is willing to develop him, and Rivers is willing to learn from Monty. It is a great match.

Plus, he has Eric Gordon to take the load off of him. That is invaluable. He can progress at his own rate. Don't forget this kid was the #2 ranked prospect last year behind Davis, and his game is much better suited for the NBA than it is for college.
    He's an elite ball-handler perhaps. He wasn't an elite scorer at Duke.

I'm not anti-Rivers as he does come with a great pedigree, but if we're judging by his freshman season with the Devils, he wasn't that impressive - aside from, of course, a nuclear performance vs. UNC. Which does show how good he can be when it's clicking.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidA View Post
    I'd feel a lot better if we were picking 9. Davis-MKG-Beal-TRob-Barnes-Drummond-Lillard-Waiters-Rivers-#10??? Leonard? Zeller? Lamb? Henson? None of that excites me too much.
    I still think Henson goes at 9- hope so anyway. You're right though, could be a bit deflating if it played out that way.

What an arrogant statement! Already picking teams he wants to play for! Rabblerabblerabble!

If Hornets can't get Rivers I wouldn't mind going after Jeremy Lamb

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    I don't know what to think about the draft anymore.

Can we just trade the Lakers the 10th pick already and get some 2018 second rounders
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny6420 View Post
    Can we just trade the Lakers the 10th pick already and get some 2018 second rounders
    Nah haven't you heard? We're giving them Davis for the rights to Vlade Divac's son.

Nah haven't you heard? We're giving them Davis for the rights to Vlade Divac's son.
    I heard he pretty good too, im so excited

RESPECT DA KID!!! Contributor BigChris504's Avatar
    I still say we should draft Jeremy Lamb........ think I'm in that boat by myself though.

Quote Originally Posted by BigChris504 View Post
    I still say we should draft Jeremy Lamb........ think I'm in that boat by myself though.
    Yahoo thinks we should too.

10. New Orleans Hornets (via Minnesota)

Jeremy Lamb: SG, 19, 6-5, 179, Connecticut, Soph.
    New Orleans will be a little disappointed to see the likes of Lillard and Rivers come off the board earlier, causing them to take the next best guard available. While possibly an odd fit playing the same position as their best incumbent player Eric Gordon, Lamb gives the team shooting and scoring and is supposedly considered the top talent on the board here.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/y-sport...4zzfqwaIS8vLYF

How does Lamb fit? You have to run player specific plays for him. He's kind of a specialized player. You gotta tailor your offense to his skillset to maximize his ability. With Gordon on the team, it's going to be a challenge. He could very well be the best wing on the board at 10 so it's going to be interesting if we were to take him.

I don't think Rivers will be a bad PG. In case most of you did not know, Monty does run a lot of plays. The team isn't just going to use Pick and rolls/isolations the entire game. Rivers isn't going to turn the ball over alot and can make the right passes when needed. If Gordon is struggling, Rivers can start getting his shots up or just drive to the basket. Two guys who can create scoring oppurtunties well? Yeah I like that....
    Formally known as WhoDatMan504

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatMan504 View Post
    Rivers isn't going to turn the ball over alot and can make the right passes when needed.
    What about his game makes you say this? He turned the ball over way too much in college.

Wade and James comparison? Kinda reaching. And playing Rivers at point would be like playing Monte at point. He has no court vision and rarely looks to others. And yes he can create his own shot but usually it takes him an entire shot clock to do so. And he did not play with scrubs his whole career. Yes, in high school he was playing with rich white kids, but guess what? He was also playing against them. At Duke his teammates were far from scrubs. He played with the Plumlee brothers who both have decent post games and an array of shooters who, while they may not be able to consistently create offense can knock down 3s like few other teams in the country. Rivers failed to take advantage of those skills and it cost his team dearly.

Look I don't hate Rivers as much as I'm making it seem. He's a good scorer with good potential with holes that hopefully Monty would minimize. But as far as taking him at 10, I think that's way too high for a player with his issues, especially if we want him at point.
    I'm not comparing River and Gordon to Wade and James. I was comparing your notion that Rivers and EJ can't co-exist because they are both penetrators. Wade and James are 2 of the best penetrators in the game, and they co-exist perfectly. That was the point I was trying to make.

Who at Duke can give him some help, offensively? Nobody. The Plumlees suck. They are just big athletes who can't do anything but jump and rebound. The opposing defenses focused solely on him, and he could get to the rim whenever he wanted to. That is elite. That is a rare gift.

Also, while at Duke, he played SG - not PG. His job wasn't to get others involved. It was to score.

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMash View Post
    He's an elite ball-handler perhaps. He wasn't an elite scorer at Duke.

I'm not anti-Rivers as he does come with a great pedigree, but if we're judging by his freshman season with the Devils, he wasn't that impressive - aside from, of course, a nuclear performance vs. UNC. Which does show how good he can be when it's clicking.
    I'd say he was an elite scorer for his age. I'll give you 2 stat lines:

Player A - 33 minutes, 15.5 points and 2.1 assists on 43.3% from the field and 36.5% from 3

Player B - 34 minutes, 14.6 points and 2.2 assists on 44.5% from the field and 33.9% from 3

Player A is Rivers, and Player B is Beal. Now, I'm not one for stats. I like to identify tools, so I won't harp on the stats, but Beal is widely considered a top-3 player in the draft. He is considered a "great shooter" and an elite offensive prospect with "Ray Allen" potential, yet Rivers dribbles better, gets to the hole easier, shoots the 3 better, is more clutch, and passes the same.

I'm just saying...

Thread Information