Pelicans Report

Thread: Motor sports park in Avondale about to go full speed ahead

Motor sports park in Avondale about to go full speed ahead

When Laney Chouest announced his plans for a motor sports facility in 2009, he envisioned a $30 million set of racing tracks designed for high-performance cars and go-carts alike, built on about 200 acres of marshy woods south of Avondale. "When I started, I was thinking of a small facility," said the 58-year-old Galliano native, whose family is the namesake of the Edison Chouest Offshore empire in Lafourche Parish. "I just wasn't thinking as big."

Less than three years later, after his plan doubled in cost and more than tripled in scope, and after overcoming the technical challenges of designing a stable asphalt roadway on the soft West Jefferson mud, Chouest says he is ready to unveil his 750-acre, privately funded $60 million NOLA Motorsports Park.

This week he will give a private preview to movers and shakers. Then on June 10, he publicly ushers in what he sees as an events-oriented venue that will lure thousands of automotive and motorcycle race fans to the region while providing recreational and educational driving activities to local motor heads.

"My biggest challenge is explaining just what we are," Chouest said, describing the park's place in the world of motorsports where at one end are large venues aiming to sell seats to spectators, and at the other, exclusive country club-like resorts.

NOLA Motorsports Park appears to incorporate both ends. However it's defined, Jefferson Parish officials view it favorably.
    http://www.nola.com/business/index.s..._more_business

Not having to truck to No Problem would be nice.

Racing is something that would benefit from a real home here, rather than streets in the East.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    ^^lol, them races try at 12 every weekend!
    But thus race track is going to be in Jefferson Parrish?
    2013-1014 is the season the Pelicans fanbase grows!!!!

I remember a Hornets player (I think it might've been Quincy Pondexter) tweeted asking if there was a motor park here and I don't think we had one at the time.

AVONDALE, La. -- The only thing better than watching cars rush past at over 100 miles per hour is driving them.

At least, that's what Steve Robinson will tell you.

The amateur enthusiast from Metairie spent Sunday morning sharing his passion for cars with his six-year-old son during the grand opening of the NOLA Motorsports Park.

"To see the development here and what it (has) brought to the area, it's really nice to see something here, this type of magnitude," Robinson said.

The 750 acre multi-million dollar facility in Avondale is one-of-a-kind in the state and, developers said, one of the best in the nation.
    http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/orle...158375955.html

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    So will this maybe lead to Nascar in New Orleans?

Rookie
    First class racetrack. I was amazed of the size of this, I've been to a few tacks across the country and this is by far the greatest.

Thread Information