Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ESPN Mag: Davis is the next Russell. Maybe.

Draft ESPN Mag: Davis is the next Russell. Maybe.

FOUR MINUTES into this year's NCAA championship game against Kansas, with his Kentucky Wildcats up 9-7, Anthony Davis did what he does best -- and what he might do better than any man alive. Kansas guard Tyshawn Taylor received an inbounds pass and slalomed down the court on a one-man fast break. Davis, trailing the action, shadowed Taylor from a 10-foot remove like a shark stalking a darter fish. When Taylor reached the lane, oblivious to the looming threat from the right, he juked a nearby defender and lofted a lefthand runner.

It's not exactly a law of physics that a defender cannot block a layup when he's farther from the basket than the shooter is, but it's still a strong argument for the existence of the DVR. That's especially true when that defender owns a 7'4" wingspan and a jaw-dropping vertical leap. In one sweeping motion, Davis elevated from the middle of the lane -- a giraffe on a pogo stick, skinny legs and all -- and swatted the ball directly to Kentucky guard Doron Lamb. For a split second, even Lamb appeared stunned, unsure how the ball had found its way into his hands. But when Lamb turned and sprinted downcourt on the way to a layup, the genius of the moment was clear: Davis had not just blocked a shot. He had coerced his opponent into helping him deliver an outlet pass.
    "I'll tell you exactly what Anthony Davis is -- he's a young Bill Russell ... And Russell was by far, and will always be, the most valuable player ever in sport." -- Bob Knight, former college coach
    "When I was growing up, I saw Oscar get 56 in the Garden. I've watched Wilt forever. I saw Russell in the Holiday Festival when I was a young kid. Davis is in that class ... When he enters the draft, the team that gets him is gonna win over 50 games." -- Larry Brown, former NBA and current SMU coach
    "There's one player in this draft who changes the course of a franchise, and that's Anthony Davis." -- Jon Barry, ESPN analyst
    "Blocking shots is about more than just blocking shots. JaVale McGee was second in the league in blocked shots this year, but no one really thinks of him as a great defender. He's just one of those guys who's trying to block everything -- getting a bunch of goaltending calls, getting a bunch of fouls. Davis is the opposite of that." -- Kevin Pelton, author, Basketball Prospectus
    http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...-espn-magazine

I hope they keep doubting him.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    This dude is one of the best defenders/shotblockers I've EVER seen. On youtube, or whatever and we get him on our team. Happy, Happy Joy, Joy!

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    I hope they keep doubting him.
    none of the guys he quoted are doubting him.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Well, what was quoted in the OP isn't exactly doubting.
    Wherehappens.

these quotes make me giddy

WE WON THE LOTTERY EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Ole Bobby Knight....

Man I really wish Davis would have did his vertical at the combine. Not because it matters but I'm curious.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    none of the guys he quoted are doubting him.
    You're right, the OP was reaching for a headline.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Yeah that's weird and unlike HunnyB, why the magic headline?

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    Yeah that's weird and unlike HunnyB, why the magic headline?
    The title is in the link, it's not a "magic" headline.

Quote Originally Posted by Coughka View Post
    The title is in the link, it's not a "magic" headline.
    Right.

The actual ESPN link says "ESPN Mag Is Anthony Davis a franchise changer or just hyped". Shall I change the title?

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    Right.

The actual ESPN link says "ESPN Mag Is Anthony Davis a franchise changer or just hyped". Shall I change the title?
    Changing it to the actual name of the article would be nice.

SO FREAKING EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And this isn't RealGM. We don't need to reach for magic headlines.

I think this article brings up some very real concerns we as Hornets fans shouldn't dismiss. We have no idea what we are getting from this kid, and the likelihood that he transforms into an unstoppable offensive players is mostly where the hype lays. He has great instincts and I'll agree that he's the best colleigate shot blocker I've ever seen. However we have no idea if those things will translate to the pros, and even if they do there's still questions about his post defense. If he is a franchise changer it will be in a way that we haven't seen in many years. Personally I think guys are too good offensively and the game is officiated to far to the offensives side of the ball for this to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I think this article brings up some very real concerns we as Hornets fans shouldn't dismiss. We have no idea what we are getting from this kid, and the likelihood that he transforms into an unstoppable offensive players is mostly where the hype lays. He has great instincts and I'll agree that he's the best colleigate shot blocker I've ever seen. However we have no idea if those things will translate to the pros, and even if they do there's still questions about his post defense. If he is a franchise changer it will be in a way that we haven't seen in many years. Personally I think guys are too good offensively and the game is officiated to far to the offensives side of the ball for this to happen.
    We get it

I enjoyed the article. Thought it was more in depth than most espn articles. Shows both sides of story pretty well, could be a cautionary tale or luckiest lottery win of all time. Only time will tell.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar

Good article. The title is provocative/contrarian, the article itself is thoughtful. I'd argue that more than a transcendent shot-blocker, Davis is transcendent help and perimeter defender; he's not yet a great post defender, but I can live with that, as there really aren't very many good post players. I would argue that even if he weren't a special defender, he'd still be a high draft pick due to offensive potential. He's in the same boat there as a lot of guys who are taken early-mid lottery---great athleticism and timing, some touch and a couple post moves, some great basic tools for a face-up 4 in terms of ball-handling and good-looking jump shot. He's ready to contribute on offense as a garbage-man a la Tyson Chandler or Noah right away, but he can definitely become a lot more. There's a real possibility if he doesn't get more aggressive offensively and become a guy who looks for his offense and works in the offseason to develop those things, he doesn't.
    Last edited by Biasvasospasm; 06-13-2012 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke's Hornets View Post
    We get it
    Clearly you don't.

Look at the picture associated with the espn article.

No wonder why Russell got so many blocks. He is rejecting the shot of a white guy shooting a flat footed layup. That kind of thing just doesn't happen very often in the NBA these days, except for maybe if you play the Pacers.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Jesus, let's not put any pressure on the kid or anything.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

Quote Originally Posted by Luke's Hornets View Post
    We get it

Clearly you don't.
    No, sir. Clearly, you don't get it. You have presented your point ad nauseum, and quite frankly, we're all sick of it. The whole board disagrees with you, so please stop pushing your idiotic beliefs on us. You make no sense. You really think that instincts won't translate to the NBA? Because that is exactly what you said in your post:

I don't care about your reasoning. Please don't respond to me.

Thread Information