By BallSoHard

June 1
    Losing is not an Option

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mitch1.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	3999

The Los Angeles Lakers, one of the most storied franchises in the NBA, took place in the first of its kind fantasy draft and were very happy with their team they pulled. GM Mitch Kupcheck and storied owner Jerry Buss along with 5 statisticians filled the draft room eager with anticipation. The draft order was decided at random, and the Lakers drew what was one of the shorter straws. But GM Mitch Kupcheck was optimistic, “ This type of draft isn’t an exact science, there’s going to be a very talented vet or young player we can get our hands on at the 20 spot. You really never know what the other teams are thinking in their spot. Will a certain team go BPA or try and build for the future? That’s something we won’t know until the team makes their selection.” Once the 20th pick came into the draft, the Lakers were elated to pick last year’s 2nd team all-NBA and All Star Grant Hill. As the draft rolled on the Lakers seemed to be on the phone often in secrecy. After the draft, formal trades were announced and it seems all the work on the phones paid off for the Lakers. They also nabbed last year’s 3rd team All-NBA 23 year old Stephon Marbury. Jerry Buss seemed to be glowing after the draft. When asked about it he said in Lakerland, losing is not an option. He will address the team with the message and let everyone know that a title is always the goal.

June 10th
    Time to Look in the Mirror

Name:	500x_custom_1255811667904_stephon_marbury.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	4000

The season has begun and so has the optimism, pessimism and speculation. The Lakers are off slow in their first two weeks of play going 4-5, and there’s been a lot of disappointment from the fans. Stephon Marburn and Grant Hill have lead the way but have received little help from anyone else. Although in most arenas it’s too early to speculate, there are rumors beginning to swirl that the Lakers are unhappy with their team dynamic and need one more real piece to contend. Although Charles Oakley has done a great job being a glue guy most seem convinced his best role would be coming off the bench with Walt Williams, who’s production has been at an all-time low. Many also attribute the slow start to getting adjusted to Phil Jackson’s complicated triangle offense. When asked about it, Coach Jackson replied,” Do you think the triangle is the reason why we only get 2.4 blocks per game and have one of the lowest rebounding rates? It’s our fundamentals that are lacking. These guys act like they’ve never played the game before. There are certain key stats before you start looking at advanced stats that you have to win to compete: Not giving away the ball which we’re very good at, rebounding which we’re in the bottom half and creating turnovers which just isn’t happening.” Although Stephon Marbury pulled in player of the week honors for week one, he’s not impervious to being criticized by the fans. When asking one local fan what he thought of Starbury he said, “Pass the damn ball man. We need to bench him and let Strickland or Hunter play and show him how to play the point position. This guy is a glorified 2 playing point guard; it’ll never work if we want to win a championship. You need pass first point guards not guys trying to stuff the stat sheet.” Asked about his style of play Marbury was dismissive, “Man, I play ball the way I play ball and I’m not going to change it. I’m averaging 9 assist per game and got people who don’t even look like they’ve played basketball a moment in their life questioning if I’m selfish? Gary Peyton takes the third most shots in the league and you’ve got people calling him the best in the business but if I score 30, I’m selfish.”

June 12th

Lakers Aim to Get Better

Name:	111212-lamar-odom.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	4001

With the Lakers heading into the week at the 5-8 mark (1-3 in the last two weeks), all the speculation around the media seemed founded. Multiple reports speculated that due to the recent Lakers efforts that heads were on the chopping block. When we interview Phil Jackson concerning potential moves Coach Jackson responded in his usual coy manner,” Well, you’re talking to the wrong guy. I’m the coach and Mitch is the guy that builds the team. If I’m asked for input, I give it.” Apparently Jackson was being a lot of advice because the Lakers and Clippers pulled off this season’s blockbuster deal, in which sent 20 year old Lamar Odom to the Lakers for 2 first round Picks. This certainly raised a lot of eyebrows in LA for both teams. The Lakers were looking for a big man to pair with Satrbury and Grant Hill. Kupcheck clearly elated after the acquisition, “We feel Lamar is a perfect fit to our team. We needed a young 4 that can do anything on the basketball court. We made the trade and gave up so much because our design. We’re not going to be on the bottom half of the loss column for long it’s just not acceptable in LA, so the picks we gave up, we didn’t feel like we would be able to pull in this type of talent with our picks.” As to which type of talent Kupcheck thinks he has, “ We think we have a blank canvas of a player that can do everything on the court. His skill set reminds me of Kevin Garnett so we’ll play him at the 4 next to Grant. We feel he is somewhat limited in the 3 spot in terms of guarding quicker players so we were like why play a guy at a position where he can be limited at when we can slide him down and feel his potential is unlimited?” The town is certainly buzzing again and it seems the Lakers have established a young core for years to come.

June 13th
    Stern Nixes trade over a Technicality

Name:	0.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	4002

In a shocking report, it seems David Stern NBA commissioner has nixed the Lakers/ Clippers trade which included Lamar Odom for 2 first round picks at its base. Sources are reporting that the Clippers did not send in the correct trade paperwork. When the Lakers contacted them concerning getting the right paperwork in the Clippers informed the Lakers that they had received better trade offers into the night and would be pulling out of the trade. Jim Buss, son of owner Jerry Buss commented on the matter, “While I can’t go into details concerning the nixed deal, I can confirm that we had a deal in principle for Lamar Odom to come to the Lakers. Also, while we’re disappointed in the commissioner’s arbitration ruling we have to move on.” When asked about the trade, who was extremely happy yesterday about the deal, GM Mitch Kupcheck declined to comment on the trade specifics itself, but did say,” You know there’s a reason I’m with the Lakers. We hold our self to higher standards. When we agree to a deal, we follow through despite technicalities. We don’t have a used car salesman type of attitude where if something better comes around we back out and say “we’re honest trust us”. Kupcheck seemed very upset about the ruling due to the countless hours it took to create the deal. Rumors have that the Clippers kept asking the Lakers to sweeten the deal which originally included Harrington and Ewing, but gave up those demands in good faith to the cross-town rival Clippers. The Lakers declined to comment concerning if this would affect future relations between the teams, but when Stephon Marbury was asked about a rivalry he laughed, “ Rivalry? The Lakers and Clippers have about the same rivalry as the United States and Costa Rica do. There is no rivalry, they may win a battle here and there, but we always win the war.“

Continued in next post (only allows 5 pics).
    Last edited by BallSoHard; 06-21-2012 at 03:11 PM.

June 16th

The Empire Strikes Back

Name:	Vaderchoke.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	4003

Weeks after the nixed Lamar Odom trade, the Lakers have gone on a (10-5) streak after making several aggressive moves in the trade market. The Lakers were pungent on the glass and shot blocking, so what did they do? They traded for the underappreciated Cliff Robinson, who also bring scoring to the table through 14 weeks is #2 in 3 point shooting percentage. The Lakers and Celtics have also managed to work out a deal in which the Lakers have sent a little known, but productive rookie, Chris Porter, in exchange for Aaron Williams. But biggest splash the Lakers made was for Rodney Rogers, who they have placed as their 6th man after leading Grizzlies in scoring for half the season. This move seriously bolsters the Lakers bench and now they have a serious candidate for 6th man of the year. When asked about the trade and the effect Rodgers has on the Lakers, team leader Grant Hill had a few words to say, “It’s always tough to see teammates leave, but that’s the business. Rodney provides a scoring punch for us and the ability to play and guard 4 positions. He’s certainly a started in this league, and it just speaks volumes of his professionalism and his desire to win that he’s willing to come off the bench for us.” With the Lakers and Sonics surging, and the Suns’ life cycle appearing to be more of a black hole than a supernova, the Pacific division is up for grabs.

June 20th

The All-Star Break: It’s All Good in the Inglewood

Name:	008__NBA_All-Star_Game_2001_-_Washington,_DC.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	4004

The All Star break marks one of the biggest happenings of the NBA, teams start playing for real and the real battles begin for playoff seeding. All of the pretenders have usually peaked by this point and we see who’s going to be there for the long haul. The All Star game also notes some great accomplishments for a number of professionals that signifies they’ve made it to the top of their professions. Both Stephon Marbury and Grant Hill were selected to the team making the Lakers were one of the few teams who had two stars at the game. Team leader and All NBA First team front-runner Grant Hill commented on the honor,” It’s always great to be named to these teams and partake in the festivities, but my goal and the goals of this team come first in my mind. We are zeroing in on trying to win our division and win a championship. All the awards and other accomplishments don’t matter in L.A. without that championship.” Stephon Marbury, nicknamed Starbury had a little different sentiment, “This is a dream come true. This ranks up higher than last year being named 3rd team all NBA. I think this solidifies that I’m a top point guard in this league, and coming from where I come from; That just doesn’t happen.” Once the All Star Game did roll around both Grant Hill and Marbury represented the team well and were a big part of why the West won by 35, the second largest margin for victory ever in an all Star game (40 was the largest in 1992).
    Last edited by BallSoHard; 06-21-2012 at 03:12 PM.

Let me know what you guys think! I'm going to try and beat it for the next article!

Walt Williams is not on your roster...
    CP3 didn't nix the trade. Wouldn't be the first time a team backed out of a trade after it was finalized (Tyson Chandler to OKC)

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBall Reasons View Post
    CP3 didn't nix the trade. Wouldn't be the first time a team backed out of a trade after it was finalized (Tyson Chandler to OKC)
    Chandler didn't pass his physical with OKC...
    HR SIM LEAGUE: MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

Mod over at reddit.com/r/NOLAPelicans

Quote Originally Posted by LoCo89 View Post
    Chandler didn't pass his physical with OKC...
    They knew he was injured... They just used the physical stuff because they wanted to back out, just like we failed some guy because we didn't want to sign him.

Ok

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBall Reasons View Post
    I traded him later. Check the trades.
    Last edited by BallSoHard; 06-21-2012 at 06:24 PM.

Look at the trades. He was part of the deals. Thought of make it funny but playim it off of spmethin that happened this year with that hornets and the lakers but obviously people didn't like it. Whatev.
    Last edited by BallSoHard; 06-21-2012 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Look at the trades. He was part of the deals. Thought of make it funny but obviously people didn't like it. Whatev.
    It's a good article, but it's long so i skimmed it, nicely done, I would say it's a 3 pointer.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    3 points

Thread Information