Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: ESPN Mag: Davis is the next Russell. Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    LOL. Why are you guys so angry I don't think like you? I have never once said you can't enjoy drafting Davis, and even if I did why would it bother you? Be excited by all means.

However what gives you the right to tell me not to express myself when not one of you have any objections to expressing yourself at will? I'm surely not ranting. I'm giving my opinion one that is very rare and for some reason one that people can't just accept as different.
    Oh we know it's different. But it's also extremely illogical. None of your so-called arguments have ever swayed me even in the slightest to agree with your oh so "minority opinion". But I am going to stop responding to these too. It only adds fuel to the fire. You have the right to express your opinion. But don't act so surprised when people respond back negatively. You out of all the people should understand how alone you stand on this. And with good reason I might add.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Its obvious by now that da Throne is just a troll. Not sure why people keep responding. Seriously.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

The Franchise Contributor GeauxPelicans's Avatar
    I don't agree that he's the best prospect since LeBron. I think Derrick Rose was by far a better prospect than Anthony Davis after one year of college. I'd add John Wall(who I wasn't a fan of either) and Evan Turner to the list aswell of guys who were better prospects.

Davis will take time to mature into a difference maker if he ever becomes one. It's fair to assume that either of those 3 teams I mentioned will be in the bottom next year.

I don't deny Davis will be a Hornet after this draft. I have no reason whatsoever to think we could trade the 1st pick(other than the insane hype around Davis) or that we would if a team was willing to gives us a top 6 pick this year, a unprotected pick next year, and an additional pick this year and/or a good young prospect. Despite the lack of likelihood of any of it happening I think trading away the rights to draft Davis for the best package we can get is better for this team. No more no less.
    I can give you Rose, but Wall and Turner absolutely not. I'm done, just wanted to throw out my opinion. Are you really a Hornets fan? First it was trade Gordon, and now it's trade the #1 overall pick. Either you are a troll, which is what I think, or you just have no clue how to build an NBA team.

I'm not sold on Davis. If we could trade down and get a top pick next year not sure how that qualifies as ridiculous? I happen to think Drummond at the center position is not as risky as others believe. I think worse case scenario he's a shot blocking big, with the foot quickness to defend the P&R game, and the strength to handle the few dominate centers in the league. I'm not against trading down and selecting Kidd-Gilchirst or Robinson.
    Okay guys i have enough evidence. Its clear as day that da throne is Jeff Bowser in disguise. Welcome to the board Jeff! Thanks for screwing up our past team sir!
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

The Franchise Contributor GeauxPelicans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coughka View Post
    People are investing themselves WAY TOO MUCH in others' opinions of Anthony Davis good Lord.
    It's not just Davis, this troll was claiming we should trade Gordon a couple of weeks ago also.

Quote Originally Posted by nolagoblue View Post
    It's not just Davis, this troll was claiming we should trade Gordon a couple of weeks ago also.
    C'mon now. Let's not get into questioning his loyalties. He has his own opinion. What we should ask of him is not whether he is a Hornets fan but just to be open, as all of us should also.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    I'm not a fan of da throne either, but I don't really think he's a troll. He's been a active member on 247 for a while and if he is a troll, he's a very laid back one. Doesn't call anybody else out and doesn't push any sensitive buttons (like this city sucks stuff). Chill out guys. He's just got a different opinion. Hopefully he will eat his words
    @DanielVeuleman

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    I'm not a fan of da throne either, but I don't really think he's a troll. He's been a active member on 247 for a while and if he is a troll, he's a very laid back one. Doesn't call anybody else out and doesn't push any sensitive buttons (like this city sucks stuff). Chill out guys. He's just got a different opinion. Hopefully he will eat his words

Davis is a better prospect than Rose coming out. Be objective about it and look at all the data.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    Davis is a better prospect than Rose coming out. Be objective about it and look at all the data.
    Easily. I'm not getting into it with him, though. He'll eat his words soon enough. Wonder if he'll claim he didn't say all of these things and at what point next season.
    Wherehappens.

Rose wasn't an unanimous #1 in his draft.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    He thinks what he thinks. I'm cool with that. Hell, sparks debate. Like havin' him around.

Quote Originally Posted by NOH2313 View Post
    Oh we know it's different. But it's also extremely illogical. None of your so-called arguments have ever swayed me even in the slightest to agree with your oh so "minority opinion". But I am going to stop responding to these too. It only adds fuel to the fire. You have the right to express your opinion. But don't act so surprised when people respond back negatively. You out of all the people should understand how alone you stand on this. And with good reason I might add.
    Disagreeing and responding negatively are two different things. It just so happens I started getting involved here right around now but I assure you I have been around different sites for sometime now. They'll be points that I make that some of you will swear by. It just so happen most disagree about Davis and Gordon. Which once again I don't mind. I just think it doesn't speak well of our fan base to make something so personal that doesn't need to be.

People are saying they hope I eat my words. Me too. I come back home often and if 42 is kind enough to give me more tickets(even if he doesn't ) I'll be at plenty games next year and hope Davis is better than any of us can imagine. This part of the process is about making evaluations. That's my evaluation of Davis.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 06-14-2012 at 10:29 AM.

Disagreeing and responding negatively are two different things. It just so happens I started getting involved here right around now but I assure you I have been around different sites for sometime now. They'll be poknts that I make that some of you well swear by. It just so happen mkst disagree about Davis and Gordon. Which once again I don't mind. I just think it doesn't speak well of our fan base to make something so personal that doesn't need to be.

People are saying they hope I eat my words. Me too. I come back home often and if 42 is kind enough to give me more tickets(even if he doesn't ) I'll be at plenty games next year and hope Davis is better than any of you can imagine. This part of the process is about making evaluations. That's my evaluation of Davis.
    get used to it. Its how all fan bases are. Those that say they aren't are either lying or are fans of a nonexistent team Eman5805 is right. Having an opinion is fine.

There is nothing that Drummond has done, at any point, that shows he's better than Davis right now or that he could be better than Davis in 5 years.

He's an average scorer, doesn't rebound well for his size, doesn't get steals, doesn't get assists, fouls more than Davis, and also turns the ball over much more and has a much lower FG%.

Worst of all, he's a .295 FT shooter. You can't have a guy on the floor that is that poor of a free throw shooter. He wouldn't play the final 2 minutes of any quarter and he wouldn't play in the 4th. Even if he doubles his production there, he's still awful. His best NBA comparison is DeAndre Jordan and it's not even close. Their freshman year's were nearly identical. Their measurements also were nearly identical and both are seen as incredibly athletic/quick bigs.

The only real concern people have on Anthony Davis is that he has no NBA comparison. People say Camby, but Davis was much better as a freshman. Shoot, he was better as a freshman than Camby was as a junior. It's also hard to compare him to KG since Garnett didn't play in college.

Quote Originally Posted by bradael View Post
    There is nothing that Drummond has done, at any point, that shows he's better than Davis right now or that he could be better than Davis in 5 years.

He's an average scorer, doesn't rebound well for his size, doesn't get steals, doesn't get assists, fouls more than Davis, and also turns the ball over much more and has a much lower FG%.

Worst of all, he's a .295 FT shooter. You can't have a guy on the floor that is that poor of a free throw shooter. He wouldn't play the final 2 minutes of any quarter and he wouldn't play in the 4th. Even if he doubles his production there, he's still awful. His best NBA comparison is DeAndre Jordan and it's not even close. Their freshman year's were nearly identical. Their measurements also were nearly identical and both are seen as incredibly athletic/quick bigs.

The only real concern people have on Anthony Davis is that he has no NBA comparison. People say Camby, but Davis was much better as a freshman. Shoot, he was better as a freshman than Camby was as a junior. It's also hard to compare him to KG since Garnett didn't play in college.
    I don't look at stats when judging players. I look at skill sets and how those skill sets will most likely translate to the NBA. Howard and Shaq both are poor free throw shooters and still have/had dominate careers. It's an area of concern without a doubt. I think Drummond has a pretty good looking release and will be a better free throw shooter not great but most certainly not below .300.

I think Drummond already has a skill set that will allow him to create points as a C. I don't see that in Davis as a PF. I think Drummond was more explosive and balanced in his post moves at an inch taller and 60lbs heavier. That quickness, strength, and explosiveness will be a problem for other bigs alone until his skill increases. The last two centers I've seen this quick footed, strong, long, large handed and explosive were Dwight Howard and DeAndre Jordan. I think he's farther along as a post scorer than Jordan. Which isn't saying much because Jordan outside of having great feet hasn't shown much of anything as a post scorer.

Question Is Anthony Davis overhyped?

Ok bear with me, I am a proud Hornets fan to have the number 1 pick in this draft. And in no way i am doubting or trying to be negative towards everyone happiness lol. But do ask this question, because it needs to be addreseed. Is Anthony Davis overhyped or overrated? Seems like alot of people think he is the Next Bill Russel or is going to be a huge bust.

Here is what someone said on bleacherreport comments

This just in:

The NBA has dissolved itself. Anthony Davis is declared MVP of All-Time, instant winner of every title till the end of time. Asking former athletes about the change:

Lebron James: "Well, we all knew it was game over when was about to get drafted. It just seemed better to quit so we wouldn't have to play him. I mean, what was I supposed to do against him!? I only have like 40 pounds on the kid, and there's no way I can use my athleticism or skill to beat him. No way.

On the upside, at least I'll never have to worry about the fourth quarter again. I think I'll go play hockey now."

Kobe Bryant: "The kid was just too good. He was the second coming of Michael Jordan, Kareem, Duncan/KG, and Jesus all rolled into one. I'm just not as competitive as him. I mean, how can I possibly beat a rookie that averaged 14 PPG in college?"

Michael Jordan: "I'm proud to announce the the Charlotte Bobcats will never have a losing season again. Also, we'll get 2nd place forever since we were the closest team to getting him."

Come on, give the kid a break. He's been in a hype-tornado since midway last season, and it's getting a little absurd. The circular praise just makes the next writer want to beat the last one, putting him on a exponentially higher pedestal. I've seen guys that say he will instantly be better than KG in his prime, and now he's a superstar on a title contender. He's only two or three articles away from being the reincarnation of Wilt Chamberlain or Bill Russell, and I think we'll see a "Davis NBA MVP 2013?" article within the month.

He hasn't played a minute in the NBA, he has a spotty jumper, and he has yet to be tested against NBA competition. In his last college game he went 1-10 for 6 points, and he comes into the league twenty or thirty pounds underweight. Big men are never completely predictable, and thinking he is an instant superstar is simply setting him up to fail.

He's a rookie on a team looking to improve, and we'll see where he goes from that.
    Now im am thrilled to have Davis, but recently many people have been thinking he is leading towards bust or is going be a Serge Ibaka type player. So is Davis overrated or Over hyped to the point of no return?

Who cares... He'll be a Hornet next year and that is all that matters to me
    Formally known as WhoDatMan504

Waiting for da throne comment *popcorn*

Quote Originally Posted by Jujube View Post
    Waiting for da throne comment *popcorn*
    lol yea im pretty sure he is salivating at my thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Is Anthony Davis overhyped or overrated? Seems like alot of people think he is the Next Bill Russel or is going to be a huge bust.
    Bill Russel was just an exciting quote for the media to run with. Barring injury his floor is still the next Camby while his ceiling is MVP candidate if he ever gets his offense to the same level as his defense. He has a long way to go before we can assume we'll see anything other than his floor, but it's a high floor.

I don't look at stats when judging players. I look at skill sets and how those skill sets will most likely translate to the NBA. Howard and Shaq both are poor free throw shooters and still have/had dominate careers. It's an area of concern without a doubt. I think Drummond has a pretty good looking release and will be a better free throw shooter not great but most certainly not below .300.

I think Drummond already has a skill set that will allow him to create points as a C. I don't see that in Davis as a PF. I think Drummond was more explosive and balanced in his post moves at an inch taller and 60lbs heavier. That quickness, strength, and explosiveness will be a problem for other bigs alone until his skill increases. The last two centers I've seen this quick footed, strong, long, large handed and explosive were Dwight Howard and DeAndre Jordan. I think he's farther along as a post scorer than Jordan. Which isn't saying much because Jordan outside of having great feet hasn't shown much of anything as a post scorer.
    What skill sets are you talking about? His measurements? So, you want to draft him just because he is big.... SMART

Thread Information