Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ESPN Mag: Davis is the next Russell. Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    You have to understand that you are in the extreme minority. In fact, I don't know one person in the country that would agree with you that trading out of the #1 pick is the best option. Seriously....

When 99% of the posters on this board agree about something, we are going to talk about it. That is a completely different situation from what you are doing. It's not hypocritical.
    So you are admitting you don't have a problem with the same views beinging expressed it's only when those views don't align with yours is when there's a problem?

I'm fully aware that I'm in the minority. What you seem to fail to understand is that a) it doesn't make me wrong and b) I have every right to express myself as anyone else here. Despite how my opinion makes you feel.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I'm not sold on Davis. If we could trade down and get a top pick next year not sure how that qualifies as ridiculous? I happen to think Drummond at the center position is not as risky as others believe. I think worse case scenario he's a shot blocking big, with the foot quickness to defend the P&R game, and the strength to handle the few dominate centers in the league. I'm not against trading down and selecting Kidd-Gilchirst or Robinson.
    Yes. And that's your opinion, an opinion I find ridiculous. For one thing, to get a top pick next year, you'd almost have to trade with the bottom dwellers (or those that are going to be bottom dwellers). Now, looking at this draft only two teams qualify these 2 statements:

1.) can offer a pick to draft Drummond and 2.) can offer almost assuredly a top pick next year

Those two teams are CHA and CLE. Now, here is a question: Why would those two teams trade TWO top picks when they are in the same breathe as us - rebuilding teams? Because Anthony Davis is that "transcendental" of a talent? I do not speak for myself, but since having a debate with Rohan from ATH, I've since put myself on the fence of caution. I still believe AD has a good chance of becoming a transcendental talent, but I've since come to grips with the reality of him not becoming as good as he is advertised.

In the end most of the people's claims here are as ridiculous as you're ideas of #1 pick for #4 and unprotected lottery pick in 2013 or top 3 protected lottery pick in 2013. If you gave your opinion on what concerns Davis has, I'm fine with that. It is your right. But to go about advertising something that's as ridiculous as other people's incessant man crush for Davis (I was a part of them once. I admit), and then continue on with this unabashed pushing of your idea that AD will not be as good as advertised? C'mon.

BTW, if you're curious what your ridiculous claims are, its 1.) the idea that another team will trade 2 top 5 picks for a #1 pick and 2.) the idea that Drummond's WORST case scenario is a shot blocking big, with the ..... to handle the few dominant centers in the L? If that's Drummond's WORST case SCENARIOs for you, then I might have to re-consider your idea of what WORST means.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Also to build on what slim said, we not only agree on Davis were downright excited about him and I think vigilant about correcting anyone who tries to rain on our parade.
    You should be glad someone is being subjective. Placing all these ridiculously high expectation on Davis isn't fair to him. If by year two Davis isn't producing most the people raining praise on him will be the very same people crucifying him.

You should be glad someone is being subjective. Placing all these ridiculously high expectation on Davis isn't fair to him. If by year two Davis isn't producing most the people raining praise on him will be the very same people crucifying him.
    And you placing such ridiculous expectations on Drummond is what now?

Quote Originally Posted by nikkoewan View Post
    Yes. And that's your opinion, an opinion I find ridiculous. For one thing, to get a top pick next year, you'd almost have to trade with the bottom dwellers (or those that are going to be bottom dwellers). Now, looking at this draft only two teams qualify these 2 statements:

1.) can offer a pick to draft Drummond and 2.) can offer almost assuredly a top pick next year

Those two teams are CHA and CLE. Now, here is a question: Why would those two teams trade TWO top picks when they are in the same breathe as us - rebuilding teams? Because Anthony Davis is that "transcendental" of a talent? I do not speak for myself, but since having a debate with Rohan from ATH, I've since put myself on the fence of caution. I still believe AD has a good chance of becoming a transcendental talent, but I've since come to grips with the reality of him not becoming as good as he is advertised.

In the end most of the people's claims here are as ridiculous as you're ideas of #1 pick for #4 and unprotected lottery pick in 2013 or top 3 protected lottery pick in 2013. If you gave your opinion on what concerns Davis has, I'm fine with that. It is your right. But to go about advertising something that's as ridiculous as other people's incessant man crush for Davis (I was a part of them once. I admit), and then continue on with this unabashed pushing of your idea that AD will not be as good as advertised? C'mon.

BTW, if you're curious what your ridiculous claims are, its 1.) the idea that another team will trade 2 top 5 picks for a #1 pick and 2.) the idea that Drummond's WORST case scenario is a shot blocking big, with the ..... to handle the few dominant centers in the L? If that's Drummond's WORST case SCENARIOs for you, then I might have to re-consider your idea of what WORST means.
    Cleveland has already been reported to be willing to traded their entire draft this year for Davis. I'm no GM and I'm not sure how GM's think however a team like Washington who feel they could pair Davis with Wall may be willing to trade up two spots for their pick next year. Maybe if this was Cleveland 1st offer I could see a scenario where they feel pressured and give up next years pick. Either way it's a suggestion. If you think it's unbelievable I'm cool with that. If CHA, WSH, or CLE are buying the "transcendent" hype I see no reason why one of those three wouldn't make the deal. Once again mere speculation on my point. However I don't (clearly) think that's an unbelieveable deal.

As far as worse case scenaios ofcourse for every players it's being out of the league after half-way through their rookie deal. I realistically don't see Drummond being any worse than DeAndre Jordan. If that's a ridiculous floor than so be it.

And you placing such ridiculous expectations on Drummond is what now?
    What expectation am I placing on Drummond? That he'll be a really good player and worse case scenario decent. I'm not saying he's Dwight Howard or even worse Wilt Chamberlain. I think the center position while it's improving is still rather thin. I think he can be successful in P&R situation where most bigs aren't agile enough to succeed in. I don't think that's ridiculous as far as expectations are concerned.

Cleveland has already been reported to be willing to traded their entire draft this year for Davis. I'm no GM and I'm not sure how GM's think however a team like Washington who feel they could pair Davis with Wall may be willing to trade up two spots for their pick next year. Maybe if this was Cleveland 1st offer I could see a scenario where they feel pressured and give up next years pick. Either way it's a suggestion. If you think it's unbelievable I'm cool with that. If CHA, WSH, or CLE are buying the "transcendent" hype I see no reason why one of those three wouldn't make the deal. Once again mere speculation on my point. However I don't (clearly) think that's an unbelieveable deal.

As far as worse case scenaios ofcourse for every players it's being out of the league after half-way through their rookie deal. I realistically don't see Drummond being any worse than DeAndre Jordan. If that's a ridiculous floor than so be it.

Teams are not allowed to trade there 1st picks in back to back years. Not sure if this is what you were implying but it cant be done.

The Franchise Contributor GeauxPelicans's Avatar
    What expectation am I placing on Drummond? That he'll be a really good player and worse case scenario decent. I'm not saying he's Dwight Howard or even worse Wilt Chamberlain. I think the center position while it's improving is still rather thin. I think he can be successful in P&R situation where most bigs aren't agile enough to succeed in. I don't think that's ridiculous as far as expectations are concerned.
    Ahhhhhhh, our buddy da throne is back. You don't think Davis' floor is what you claim Drummonds floor to be? It's ridiculous to trade the first overall pick for a 1st next year, when we have the chance to select the best prospect to come out of the draft since Lebron. By the way, I forgot to quote your other post, but no one is saying that Davis is as good as Lebron. We are saying he's the best prospect since Lebron to be in the draft. That isn't saying he's as good or better than Lebron, that's just saying he's better than any prospect since Lebron.

The problem with trading the 1st overall for this years #2 and Charlotte's 1st next year, is we aren't garaunteed the 1st overall selection next year. Charlotte was the worst team in the history of the NBA (winning % wise) and they still didn't get the 1st overall pick this year. Not to mention, if you add Davis to any team, especially Cleveland with Kyrie, they are no longer a bottom feeder, so their %'s of getting the #1 overall pick are lowered considerably. The only 2 trades the Hornets should take for the pick are Lebron for #1, Okafor and Ariza or Durant for #1, Okafor and Ariza. Both of those are NEVER gonaa happen so Davis will be a Hornet.

Quote Originally Posted by nolagoblue View Post

The problem with trading the 1st overall for this years #2 and Charlotte's 1st next year, is we aren't garaunteed the 1st overall selection next year.

Also that Charlotte is not allowed to do that.

edit: I say this but Im sure teams can find a way to get around this.

The Franchise Contributor GeauxPelicans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke's Hornets View Post
    Also that Charlotte is not allowed to do that.

edit: I say this but Im sure teams can find a way to get around this.

Good point, I forgot about this. Thank you

I think Da throne is a Cavs operative sent here to place doubt in the innocent minds of local hornets fans so the worst trade in NBA history can be made......that or he is Jeff Bower.

That's all posturing but there's a reason why #1 picks haven't ever been traded before draft night. Its because teams that own them place ridiculous prices on those picks which the other team isn't willing to pay.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    If Davis is half as good a player as Russell he will help this team get to the playoffs for a lot of years. I just hope that they can keep him here.

Not sure why people keep respondng to da Throne. He's a spurstalk kind of troll.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Yeah. I concur the fact that Drummond and Davis' ceiling are about the same (I think Davis' ceiling is higher just because he has the potential to be a spacer as well and hit a good amount of his FTs). But to talk like Drummond's floor is WAY WAY higher than all the other prospects? when he's got a TON of questions surrounding him is as biased as you can get. No worse than DeAndre (who I think is an overrated C, but nonetheless a fringe starter at this point) speaks volumes of you not understanding what Drummond's problems are. To talk like his range is superstar to starter and fail to mention weaknesses that are VERY VERY hard to fix such as motor, unassertiveness and a general lack of feel for the game is very very biased. He's no better than Whiteside, who is a physical freak, but two years into his career and he hasn't even made a mark even in the D-League. I agree on his potential (just because he's a physical freak) but his floor is closer to Whiteside (maybe a little bit better) than Jordan.

Da Throne, I don't think the problem is that you are being subjective as much as you are being abrasive to others vantages. Points can be argued till the end of time. I have disagreed with nolaslim on occasion, but after points are made and rebutted it is over. This isn't a debate forum as much as it's a hornet's community where we "discuss" points not get enraged at each other because we disagree.

That being said Nolaslim doesn't speak for me I just agree with him on this point.

Great read....can't wait for him to become a Hornet.

Quote Originally Posted by nolagoblue View Post
    Ahhhhhhh, our buddy da throne is back. You don't think Davis' floor is what you claim Drummonds floor to be? It's ridiculous to trade the first overall pick for a 1st next year, when we have the chance to select the best prospect to come out of the draft since Lebron. By the way, I forgot to quote your other post, but no one is saying that Davis is as good as Lebron. We are saying he's the best prospect since Lebron to be in the draft. That isn't saying he's as good or better than Lebron, that's just saying he's better than any prospect since Lebron.

The problem with trading the 1st overall for this years #2 and Charlotte's 1st next year, is we aren't garaunteed the 1st overall selection next year. Charlotte was the worst team in the history of the NBA (winning % wise) and they still didn't get the 1st overall pick this year. Not to mention, if you add Davis to any team, especially Cleveland with Kyrie, they are no longer a bottom feeder, so their %'s of getting the #1 overall pick are lowered considerably. The only 2 trades the Hornets should take for the pick are Lebron for #1, Okafor and Ariza or Durant for #1, Okafor and Ariza. Both of those are NEVER gonaa happen so Davis will be a Hornet.
    I don't agree that he's the best prospect since LeBron. I think Derrick Rose was by far a better prospect than Anthony Davis after one year of college. I'd add John Wall(who I wasn't a fan of either) and Evan Turner to the list aswell of guys who were better prospects.

Davis will take time to mature into a difference maker if he ever becomes one. It's fair to assume that either of those 3 teams I mentioned will be in the bottom next year.

I don't deny Davis will be a Hornet after this draft. I have no reason whatsoever to think we could trade the 1st pick(other than the insane hype around Davis) or that we would if a team was willing to gives us a top 6 pick this year, a unprotected pick next year, and an additional pick this year and/or a good young prospect. Despite the lack of likelihood of any of it happening I think trading away the rights to draft Davis for the best package we can get is better for this team. No more no less.

I don't agree that he's the best prospect since LeBron. I think Derrick Rose was by far a better prospect than Anthony Davis after one year of college. I'd add John Wall(who I wasn't a fan of either) and Evan Turner to the list aswell of guys who were better prospects.

Davis will take time to mature into a difference maker if he ever becomes one. It's fair to assume that either of those 3 teams I mentioned will be in the bottom next year.

I don't deny Davis will be a Hornet after this draft. I have no reason whatsoever to think we could trade the 1st pick(other than the insane hype around Davis) or that we would if a team was willing to gives us a top 6 pick this year, a unprotected pick next year, and an additional pick this year and/or a good young prospect. Despite the lack of likelihood of any of it happening I think trading away the rights to draft Davis for the best package we can get is better for this team. No more no less.
    That's all he wrote...

Yeah. I concur the fact that Drummond and Davis' ceiling are about the same (I think Davis' ceiling is higher just because he has the potential to be a spacer as well and hit a good amount of his FTs). But to talk like Drummond's floor is WAY WAY higher than all the other prospects? when he's got a TON of questions surrounding him is as biased as you can get. No worse than DeAndre (who I think is an overrated C, but nonetheless a fringe starter at this point) speaks volumes of you not understanding what Drummond's problems are. To talk like his range is superstar to starter and fail to mention weaknesses that are VERY VERY hard to fix such as motor, unassertiveness and a general lack of feel for the game is very very biased. He's no better than Whiteside, who is a physical freak, but two years into his career and he hasn't even made a mark even in the D-League. I agree on his potential (just because he's a physical freak) but his floor is closer to Whiteside (maybe a little bit better) than Jordan.
    I think with such a weak group of 5's in this league his floor is fringe starter. It not just him or his flaws it's the lack of quality at the position he plays that factor into what I think his ceiling is.

However the Whiteside comparsion is a fair one. I think Drummond natural talents makes him less likely to be Whiteside, but when there's motor issues and/or production issues the possibility is there. I do think Uconn situation was a huge mess this season and Drummond did skip his last year of HS to go to college. I'm sure some of that has to factor in. I don't expect anybody to share my views on Drummond per sa and I don't deny I leave myself open for criticism placing as much stock in him as I do. Especially when I don't share most people views on the consensus #1 pick Davis.

Evan Turner......really?

Dude why do you spit the same crap out all the time? First Hornets247, and now here. You can speculate all you want about how Anthony Davis will be a bust, how he's overrated, how he has no offensive game, etc. But excuse us for being excited about something real. About something we can see, something that is extremely clear. Anthony Davis dominated college basketball. He is the best prospect since LeBron. And he is a franchise changer. Are some people's expectations of him a bit farfetched? Yes. He's not going to average 20-10 his first year. He probably won't swat 4+ his rookie season. He probably won't lead us to 11 championships in 13 years. But that's what makes this whole process so exciting. We don't know what will happen. But what we do know is Anthony Davis is going to be a Hornet. Other teams were dying for him. And he is ours. Instead of ranting about your absurd rankings, why don't you wait for the man to put on our jersey and play? If we're wrong, you'll look like a prophet. If you are wrong (which you most likely will be), you'll look exactly like you do now. (Insert word here).

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by goat gorilla View Post
    Da Throne, I don't think the problem is that you are being subjective as much as you are being abrasive to others vantages. Points can be argued till the end of time. I have disagreed with nolaslim on occasion, but after points are made and rebutted it is over. This isn't a debate forum as much as it's a hornet's community where we "discuss" points not get enraged at each other because we disagree.

That being said Nolaslim doesn't speak for me I just agree with him on this point.
    What would you have me say? That I think Davis is the answer to all our basketball prayers when I don't. I'm not here to step on anybodies toes. I've been respectful to all that have disagreed with me respectfully. I know when I'm in the overwhelming minority. I don't mind beinf there if I think I'm right. I have no problems explaining my views. I'm not sure exactly what it is that I'm suppose to do short of just saying what people want to hear.

I think with such a weak group of 5's in this league his floor is fringe starter. It not just him or his flaws it's the lack of quality at the position he plays that factor into what I think his ceiling is.

However the Whiteside comparsion is a fair one. I think Drummond natural talents makes him less likely to be Whiteside, but when there's motor issues and/or production issues the possibility is there. I do think Uconn situation was a huge mess this season and Drummond did skip his last year of HS to go to college. I'm sure some of that has to factor in. I don't expect anybody to share my views on Drummond per sa and I don't deny I leave myself open for criticism placing as much stock in him as I do. Especially when I don't share most people views on the consensus #1 pick Davis.
    THERE that's all I wanted. You don't necessarily have to agree with me but you have to acknowledge the same things you seem to bash Davis on. Thank you.

For what it's worth, I agree with you that you've been very respectful. Personally, I just needed you to remove as much bias as you can (same way Rohan did for me). Be fair.
    Last edited by nikkoewan; 06-13-2012 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NOH2313 View Post
    Evan Turner......really?

Dude why do you spit the same crap out all the time? First Hornets247, and now here. You can speculate all you want about how Anthony Davis will be a bust, how he's overrated, how he has no offensive game, etc. But excuse us for being excited about something real. About something we can see, something that is extremely clear. Anthony Davis dominated college basketball. He is the best prospect since LeBron. And he is a franchise changer. Are some people's expectations of him a bit farfetched? Yes. He's not going to average 20-10 his first year. He probably won't swat 4+ his rookie season. He probably won't lead us to 11 championships in 13 years. But that's what makes this whole process so exciting. We don't know what will happen. But what we do know is Anthony Davis is going to be a Hornets. Other teams were dying for him. And he is ours. Instead of ranting about your absurd rankings, why don't you wait for the man to put on our jersey and play? If we're wrong, you'll look like a prophet. If you are wrong (which you most likely will be), you'll look exactly like you do now. (Insert word here).
    LOL. Why are you guys so angry I don't think like you? I have never once said you can't enjoy drafting Davis, and even if I did why would it bother you? Be excited by all means.

However what gives you the right to tell me not to express myself when not one of you have any objections to expressing yourself at will? I'm surely not ranting. I'm giving my opinion one that is very rare and for some reason one that people can't just accept as different.

People are investing themselves WAY TOO MUCH in others' opinions of Anthony Davis good Lord.

Thread Information