Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: If we trade up to #7.....(What If Scenario)

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    I wanna keep Ariza now. We need someone to guard Durant.
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    I feel like Aminu can be that guy in a year or 2.
    I want to keep Ariza so that Aminu can learn all he has to learn from him to be able to guard Durant/James/Anthony. I want to keep him so that Henry and probably our 10th pick can learn by example perimeter defense. Finally, I want to keep him because he has not played with a scoring 2 since he came here.

By the way, GS never said they were interested in him (actually he is not in the list of players they are officially interested in).

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    I feel like Aminu can be that guy in a year or 2.
    I agree totally. At least 90% of the player that Ariza is with another year.

As for the OP, you sprint, SPRINT up to the podium with the Robinson pick and hope the dream doesn't end before you get the pick in.
    Wherehappens.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvis View Post
    I want to keep Ariza so that Aminu can learn all he has to learn from him to be able to guard Durant/James/Anthony. I want to keep him so that Henry and probably our 10th pick can learn by example perimeter defense. Finally, I want to keep him because he has not played with a scoring 2 since he came here.

By the way, GS never said they were interested in him (actually he is not in the list of players they are officially interested in).
    Not if it comes at the expense of getting a top-10 pick. If we have a trade for Ariza, Demps will pull the trigger. Monty is the one teaching Aminu how to play - not Ariza. Aminu should develop into a great defender, with or with out Ariza's help.

Not if it comes at the expense of getting a top-10 pick. If we have a trade for Ariza, Demps will pull the trigger. Monty is the one teaching Aminu how to play - not Ariza. Aminu should develop into a great defender, with or with out Ariza's help.
    Monty is the one teaching Aminu how to play that's for sure. That does not mean that he can't learn better by having Ariza on his side especially all those little things about defending great players that you can only learn from doing it.

And yeah, if we have a good trade for Ariza Demps will pull the trigger for sure. That does not mean we don't have reasons to keep him at least one more year and we should trade him for anything (or that other teams are willing to offer something back that is worth it for us which is actually the thing I doubt the most).

If Gordon stays healthy, he will have a true scorer at his side which will likely help with his shot selection issue and his tendency to try to carry the offense too much (and it will likely make him look better).

As I said before, this team is really young. That's why keeping players like Ariza or Okafor around for at least one more year can help us a lot more than their stats show because we are in a developing phase.

They are not untradable though, but all the question marks on Okafor because of his injury and Ariza's really bad looking offense don't help their sale value for other teams at all.

Jefferson + Lillard/Drummond+#30 is good enough for Ariza and #10. But I don't see any good reasons for GS to do that trade unless they think Ariza >> Dorrell Wright and I doubt that.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvis View Post
    Monty is the one teaching Aminu how to play that's for sure. That does not mean that he can't learn better by having Ariza on his side especially all those little things about defending great players that you can only learn from doing it.

And yeah, if we have a good trade for Ariza Demps will pull the trigger for sure. That does not mean we don't have reasons to keep him at least one more year and we should trade him for anything (or that other teams are willing to offer something back that is worth it for us which is actually the thing I doubt the most).

If Gordon stays healthy, he will have a true scorer at his side which will likely help with his shot selection issue and his tendency to try to carry the offense too much (and it will likely make him look better).

As I said before, this team is really young. That's why keeping players like Ariza or Okafor around for at least one more year can help us a lot more than their stats show because we are in a developing phase.

They are not untradable though, but all the question marks on Okafor because of his injury and Ariza's really bad looking offense don't help their sale value for other teams at all.

Jefferson + Lillard/Drummond+#30 is good enough for Ariza and #10. But I don't see any good reasons for GS to do that trade unless they think Ariza >> Dorrell Wright and I doubt that.
    Oh, I agree completely. Ariza isn't hamstringing this organization, and his $7 million really isn't killing our cap or anything. If he stays, then he stays, but I think we can get some value for him, and I think Demps will try his darndest.

Personally I would do whatever it takes to move up for Drummond outside of Davis and Gordon.
    Demps is good at finding role players so we won't be the (no depth) Lakers.
    I'd take bad contracts too because Davis and Drummond will be on rookie deals for a while and will take a while to develop anyway.

Aminu could be that guy, but he's not there yet. Not sure how I changed my mind on Ariza since I've trashed him for two years now, but I guess watching Durant all post season has led me to this conclusion. Ariza did improve last season and he's only signed for two more years. He has little trade value to be honest and with the team now having Davis and Gordon, he will help the Hornets more than crap teams like the Kings or Warriors who aren't going anywhere. Plus, Aminu is still a project and needs a couple of years to develop which will be perfect timing with Ariza's contract expiring.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    Aminu could be that guy, but he's not there yet. Not sure how I changed my mind on Ariza since I've trashed him for two years now, but I guess watching Durant all post season has led me to this conclusion. Ariza did improve last season and he's only signed for two more years. He has little trade value to be honest and with the team now having Davis and Gordon, he will help the Hornets more than crap teams like the Kings or Warriors who aren't going anywhere. Plus, Aminu is still a project and needs a couple of years to develop which will be perfect timing with Ariza's contract expiring.
    Finally someone with some sense

Having Ariza on the team is not a bad thing; he doesn't cripple the team. He is only slightly overpaid and continues to be one of the better perimeter defenders in the NBA. And as you said, he showed improvement on the offensive end, most notably shot selection. Oh, and he's only 26. Much rather have him than give him away for scraps or better yet amnestying him. Now if we're talking about a Top 10 pick.....that's a different story (depending on who's left or who we're targeting).
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 06-13-2012 at 07:02 PM.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by NOH2313 View Post
    Finally someone with some sense

Having Ariza on the team is not a bad thing; he doesn't cripple the team. He is only slightly overpaid and continues to be one of the better perimeter defenders in the NBA. And as you said, he showed improvement on the offensive end, most notably shot selection. Oh, and he's only 26. Much rather have him than give him away for scraps or better yet amnestying him. Now if we're talking about a Top 10 pick.....that's a different story (depending on who's left or who we're targeting).
    Agreed

Thread Information