Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hornets Potential Free Agent Targets

I take it back.. We should resign Landry for his offense. It must be the right price...

Lilliard, Gordon, Batum, and Davis would make me

Unfortunately, he's an RFA. Thefore anyone who will acquire him is going to have to overpay for him. The last thing a rebuilding team like ours needs is another large contract for an overpaid player. Thanks but no thanks.

Everybody. Let's all say NO to Batum.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by Jason30123 View Post
    I take it back.. We should resign Landry for his offense. It must be the right price...
    I think last year's contract was more of a good will measure by the Hornets to likely reward him for resigning and that his number will drop to about 5-6 million if we resign him to a multi year deal. I think we should re-up him as well. Unless we draft Sully that is.

If we draft a big, i want gerald green. Despite him once being considered a bust. he is still only 5 years outta HS. he avg. 12 pts last year while shooting 39% from the arc.

he's not batum, so if we don't draft T. Ross, he could be the cheaper way to back-up E. gordon while being available for SF near the end of games

we have established a 'want' for a lengthy wing who can fill the net, right?

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/gerald...eer_stats.html

I will bet anyone we make a push for Brandon Rush. I feel like we have targeted him several times. I would prefer him over Bellineli. Good 3 pt shooter. Can space floor and be solid back up 2.

Quote Originally Posted by G5JeffMartin View Post
    Nobody likes Randolph as another front court option off the bench huh?? I love his per minute production and his potentially manageable contract...

And I appreciate that WhoDatMan504!
    I like the idea. Have liked Randolph for quite a while now. Problem is, now we have lots of talent at the bigs, so its hard to see a place for him to fit.
    PF: Davis/Ayon
    C: Okafor/Smith

Do you put him in front of Ayon or Smith on the depth chart so he gets minutes to develop, while taking away Smitty and Gus' playing time? That's my only knock on signing Randolph.

You don't follow my Twitter, I lead yours.

https://twitter.com/#!/onpointlikecp3

After the recent 247 podcast, I'm 100% into not doing much this off season. There are not very many players available I really want to pay for. We need to keep the team in a flexible situation so when a player is available we can strike(CP3, Harden, Ibaka). There is nothing wrong with being a late lottery team for a couple years while we acquire our championship roster to make a run when everyone is 23-28 years old.

I like the Gerald Green signing as an idea...shouldnt break the bank and he has clearly become an nba caliber player that we could steal for the low. We can watch as he reaches his prime on a cap friendly deal

How about Greg Oden?

Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post
    After the recent 247 podcast, I'm 100% into not doing much this off season. There are not very many players available I really want to pay for. We need to keep the team in a flexible situation so when a player is available we can strike(CP3, Harden, Ibaka). There is nothing wrong with being a late lottery team for a couple years while we acquire our championship roster to make a run when everyone is 23-28 years old.
    IA, this free agent class isn't impressive and Hornets should save their money for another season or when the need to extend a current players contract (Gordon)

How about we send ariza somewhere for a late first like GSW with the 30 take back something that will expire soon to even out the contracts and Push hard for Batum ?

Batum would give the team a lot of the strengths (athleticism, length, perimeter defense) that Ariza brings, but with better shooting as a 3rd/4th option. Unfortunately he's a RFA in Portland where they have cap space to spare, and seemingly little intention of losing him. He's in high demand supposedly, so he'll fetch a price.

As an Australian, I can tell you Mills will give you 3pt shooting (desperately needed) and fearlessness driving into the paint. Unfortunately he's a two-guard trapped in a point guard's body, his decision making is iffy at best. Ditto his defense. Still, he'll probably be cheap, but given Jack and Vasquez are under contract at present, it may be unlikely.

I like the Dragic option, mainly because the team needs offensive creativity from anybody not named Gordon. He's the right age, and if Ariza and Davis are the starting forwards, then (with the right point guard), this may be.. whisper it.. a New Orleans team that is finally ready to run and score in transition! If Okafor is retained at center, then there's a nice mix of shot-blocking (Okafor, Davis), athleticism (Davis, Ariza) and ball-handlers (Gordon and X (Dragic?) to give the team a way of scoring points in a way that takes advantage of their defense. This scenario would also give the team the luxury of taking the best Draft talent at No. 10, knowing they'll be 99% certain to be coming off the bench. The other reason I mention Dragic here is because (as others have noted), Demps and/or Monty must have liked him to have included him the failed Paul trade

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    They can have a better team than most think, because they are under the cap

Quote Originally Posted by goat gorilla View Post
    I will bet anyone we make a push for Brandon Rush. I feel like we have targeted him several times. I would prefer him over Bellineli. Good 3 pt shooter. Can space floor and be solid back up 2.
    I agree with you. They went after him a number of times. I think he can be a nice back-up wing, and a scoring punch off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Beez_Neez View Post
    I like the Gerald Green signing as an idea...shouldnt break the bank and he has clearly become an nba caliber player that we could steal for the low. We can watch as he reaches his prime on a cap friendly deal
    Thanks man.

12.9 ppg 3.5 rebpg shooting 39% from the arc as a…..'rookie' so-to-speak. Let Monty groom this cheap 6'8" SG PLEASE

The 'Batum' contingent is a tad unrealistic/ or over-zealous for this off-season
    The 'Bellinelli' folks are blind.
    The G. Dragic folks are just dying to fix every position right now, and he is the only answer to them.

Gerald Green is a freaggin 6'8" SG with hops and a nice stroke from down-town. He is the perfect fit for what this staff is looking for
    that is:
    lengthy players
    who can put the ball in the hole
    and have the explosiveness and eagerness to play Monty's team D

and he is cheap. rid yourselves of his 'bustness'. last year would have been his rookie

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelo...1/gerald-green

look at his freaggin game-log. after a couple of years of learning the hard way, this boy is starting to go 'off''. There were never many perimiter players that went straight to the pro's that were not busts except for a select few. Coach em up

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    Thanks man.

12.9 ppg 3.5 rebpg shooting 39% from the arc as a…..'rookie' so-to-speak. Let Monty groom this cheap 6'8" SG PLEASE

The 'Batum' contingent is a tad unrealistic/ or over-zealous for this off-season
    The 'Bellinelli' folks are blind.
    The G. Dragic folks are just dying to fix every position right now, and he is the only answer to them.

Gerald Green is a freaggin 6'8" SG with hops and a nice stroke from down-town. He is the perfect fit for what this staff is looking for
    that is:
    lengthy players
    who can put the ball in the hole
    and have the explosiveness and eagerness to play Monty's team D

and he is cheap. rid yourselves of his 'bustness'. last year would have been his rookie
    How do you figure?

I think Green is worth a look, but we should be careful reading too much into his stats from last season. He also had a great end of season run in 2006-2007 playing for another similarly bad team, the pre-big 3 Celtics, but was never able to replicate that level of production until this past season: http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelo...7/gerald-green

I like to see folks succeed and I hope that he can replicate that great form going forward, but sometimes a player putting up great stats on a bad team is like a looter in a riot; both end up getting things they would never be able to obtain under normal circumstances.

Credit to Chris Webber for the metaphor.

Given that Kyle Lowry has burned his bridges in Houston, Rockets will make it a priority to re-sign Dragic, I feel like these are our best offseason options to get a starting PG

PG
    1.) Trade for Lowry
    1.) George Hill (rfa)
    2.) DJ Augustin (rfa)
    3.) Ramon Sessions (player option)

Also, if we want to bring in another big via free agency, we should look at Jason Thompson. He's a 6-11 restricted free agent who currently plays for the Kings. I think he could be brought in pretty cheaply: http://www.basketball-reference.com/...thompja02.html

Thread Information