Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Austin Rivers vs. Dion Waiters [Hornets247]

NBA Austin Rivers vs. Dion Waiters [Hornets247]

Interesting article I seen.

http://www.hornets247.com/blog/2012/...medium=twitter

I am very high on both of these guys, but do you think Austin will be loyal, especially with his dad in Boston?

Both guys are heavily biased and seem to be on opposite ends of the spectrum.. One guy completely dismissed waiters for no good reason and the other refuses to give Rivers the benefit of the doubt. Waiters wasn't anywhere near the player he is today as a freshman.

As for loyalty, Rivers shouldn't have issues with Monty as he's known and respected him all of his life.

I'd rather Rivers. I don't think his dad will have anything to do with his loyalty to a team.

I definitely thought Gerrity's argument was stronger. With that said, I am still not sold that Waiters would be the better pick.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

I have Waiters rated higher.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

You guys need to remember that they are supposed to be on both sides of the spectrum. Think of it as them representing the players.
    I like basketball

Twitter: @jsgrayson

Wouldn't it work better if it was from the hornet's perspective? Fit and Roles make a more compelling argument.

How a player fit and their roles plays a huge rolling how they pan out for the team that drafts them.

I think all the top 4-5 SG are really close in terms of talent and the difference I can come up with are preference based.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    I don't think either one is worth the pick at 10, but if I had to pick one I'd pick Rivers for his bench potential.
    Wherehappens.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, in this series of articles we take sides and argue for them regardless of how we really feel.

Will be going on all June. Hope you enjoy them.
    audaci favet fortuna (Thanks, Harvey)- Fortune favors the bold.
    R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl
    Bourbon Street Shots
    Saints247
    @GerrityJoe

My Real Estate Brokerage--WeSellNola.com
    My Vape Stores-- Crescent City Vape

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Waiters for me. Having said that, I haven't watched enough of Rivers. Joe made a good argument that the adversity he faced his freshman year has made him a stronger player. He didn't run from the challenge and instead became a better player. In fact, he got better and more confident every game. With this trajectory, I think the sky is the limit with Waiters. I look forward to watching his development, hopefully for us!

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    There more I think about it, the more I think the Hornets need to go Terrence Ross, if they decide to go with a wing player. Eric Gordon is the slasher. Anthony Davis will be the inside presence. IF the Hornets go wing, they need to go with the player with the highest catch and shoot potential. That player is Ross.

Or they could go size. Which I think is ultimately the best way to go.

Waiters is physically more talented. Stronger, attacks the hole really well with his strength and athleticism, shoots fairly well and does defend better than Rivers right now. More athletic than Rivers. Waiters makes a good case for being the number 2 SG in this draft, but I don't think he's the best fit for us. Ross would be a better fit, maybe Lamb as well. I think those two would be ok to take at the 10th spot. I wouldn't draft Rivers with the 10th pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    Waiters is physically more talented. Stronger, attacks the hole really well with his strength and athleticism, shoots fairly well and does defend better than Rivers right now. More athletic than Rivers. Waiters makes a good case for being the number 2 SG in this draft, but I don't think he's the best fit for us. Ross would be a better fit, maybe Lamb as well. I think those two would be ok to take at the 10th spot. I wouldn't draft Rivers with the 10th pick.
    I actually agree with you completely. Hell is freezing over.

edit: let's not forget Rivers has the best crossover since AI

Austin Rivers at #10 Perfect fit. Match up nightmare with his ball handling.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke's Hornets View Post
    I actually agree with you completely. Hell is freezing over.
    I've mellowed out lately. Meds are kicking in.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola7 View Post
    For the offense. Gordon would never see the ball with Rivers as the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    For the offense. Gordon would never see the ball with Rivers as the point.
    When we first acquired Gordon I was all in. Now not so much he is injury prone if he signs a big to a big offer sheet let him go. May not be a popular opinion but it is how i honestly feel.

When we first acquired Gordon I was all in. Now not so much he is injury prone if he signs a big to a big offer sheet let him go. May not be a popular opinion but it is how i honestly feel.
    I think the injury prone thing is overstated. I know facts are facts and I can't argue with that but he hasn't had a serious injury. I would take his history of injuries over CP3s history. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by Luke's Pelicans; 06-06-2012 at 01:44 PM.

I think the injury prone thing is overstated. I know facts are facts and I can't argue with that but he hasn't had a serious injury. I would take his history or injuries over CP3s history. Just my opinion.
    I can agree with that. I'm just scared honestly. Been a Hornets fan for a while now and I just want us to get this right. Grab players who want to be here and can embrace the city and led us to a championship.

I think the injury prone thing is overstated. I know facts are facts and I can't argue with that but he hasn't had a serious injury. I would take his history of injuries over CP3s history. Just my opinion.
    How do you know? He had a knee surgery on his cartilage. Do you know the extent of the surgery? Could be a significant surgery or not so much, but we do not know.

Considering the fact that he returned and showed no loss of quickness, no loss of foot speed, no loss of athleticism, the ability to cut on a dime, no mental struggle (fear of slashing), or any noticeable limitations with the knee, I think he'll be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN View Post
    How do you know? He had a knee surgery on his cartilage. Do you know the extent of the surgery? Could be a significant surgery or not so much, but we do not know.
    I'm no doctor and I don't know. From everything I have seen or sensed is that it wasn't serious. Seems like the Hornets don't think it was.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Austin Rivers at 10 would be a reach. Period.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

I'd consider Gordon the same way I'd consider any free agent at this point, only we have an advantage because of his RFA status.

We need a SG and have three options:

1. sign Gordon to a fair price that takes into consideration the injury concerns.
    2. If someone else offers him a price we think is too high, we should negotiate the best sign and trade we can or match the offer and move him once we get something we consider to be good value.
    3. Draft a SG

I don't go into free agency with the pressure that we have to retain Gordon. Truthfully, we don't. And the reason we don't is because guys like Ross, Rivers, Lamb, and Waiters will be available at 10 to fill our need at SG, and if we don't spend $12m on Gordon, and draft a SG instead of post player at 10, we can use that same $12m to sign or trade for a post player.

This is like Tetris. You just want to make the pieces fit together to build a solid foundation.
    Last edited by Good Citizen; 06-06-2012 at 04:12 PM.

Thread Information