Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: point guard.....pass first or shoot first?

Lillard's team sucked... Even if you check out some of his highlights he made some assist when the guys were WIDE open, but his team was so bad that he had to score 25 ppg... Even with that kind of pressure the kid averaged 4.0 assist per... He's not selfish, just didn't have the type of talent that would allow him to be unselfish.

Lil Lard.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster View Post
    Marshall would be a reach at 10th. And chances are there will be a better player available to preclude the option of trading down. This team is not in dire need of a point guard this upcoming season -- it can survive with Jack/Vasquez for purposes of growth/rebuilding. If Lillard is available, however, you take him because of his offense potential/athleticism. I just see no need to draft Marshall.
    My question to that is: who DO you draft down the line (I assume we're talking 1-2 years) that will be as good as Marshall will be with 2 years NBA experience? If we're rebuilding, why not let a floor general like Marshall grow with us and let the team grow around him?
    Wherehappens.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    My question to that is: who DO you draft down the line (I assume we're talking 1-2 years) that will be as good as Marshall will be with 2 years NBA experience? If we're rebuilding, why not let a floor general like Marshall grow with us and let the team grow around him?
    My answer to that is: get back to me in a year. Or two. I honestly have no idea what free agent PGs will be available during that time span nor does anyone honestly know how good Marshall will actually be two years from now. All you can do is play the percentages during the here and now and while I can't pretend to be an expert talent evaluator; I don't think I've seen any mock draft that has Marshall going as high as 10th (unless they have the Hornets taking him). So, again, I say you take the best player available at the 10 spot and I just don't think that's going to be Marshall.

To add: Many teams have had success/won titles without a premier point guard and there have been premier point guards that have never won a title.
    Last edited by Unknown Poster; 06-02-2012 at 08:55 PM.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster View Post
    My answer to that is: get back to me in a year. Or two. I honestly have no idea what free agent PGs will be available during that time span nor does anyone honestly know how good Marshall will actually be two years from now. All you can do is play the percentages during the here and now and while I can't pretend to be an expert talent evaluator; I don't think I've seen any mock draft that has Marshall going as high as 10th (unless they have the Hornets taking him). So, again, I say you take the best player available at the 10 spot and I just don't think that's going to be Marshall.
    So what's he a value pick at? 15? 13? I think that vein of thinking can cloud judgement. I'm not all in on Marshall, just saying that someone "isn't worth" a pick as high as ten doesn't sit well with me. That being said I'd be happy with about 5 different players at our pick.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    So what's he a value pick at? 15? 13? I think that vein of thinking can cloud judgement. I'm not all in on Marshall, just saying that someone "isn't worth" a pick as high as ten doesn't sit well with me. That being said I'd be happy with about 5 different players at our pick.
    It's not something anyone can give an objective answer to -- all I can go off of is my opinion and the other opinions I've read looking through these mock drafts and reading the analysis write ups from the journalists. It's also problematic because there is potentially a lot of flux after the Hornets pick first. You could come up with half a dozen or more plausible scenarios/draft orders at this point. Drummond could be there. Sullinger could be there. Lillard could be there. Waiters, one of the Jones', etc.

Drafting is less about getting the player your team is absolutely fixed on and more about playing the meta game of getting the best value out of your pick. That could entail drafting another player who has more potential talent/upside or possibly trading down.

The main thing to remember is that patience is by far the most important quality in achieving long term success. It has been said accurately that the Hornets ultimately squandered a great collection of core players (namely CP, DWest, and Tyson) by stretching our resources to acquire over-valued veterans. While winning is obviously the ultimate goal, one just has to look at OKC and San Antonio to see the advantages of patience combined with wise scouting.

That said, we really should just take the best player available with our pick at 10. After watching some of his tape, I really believe Lillard would definitely meet this criterion if he falls to us, although it's unlikely. While somewhat undersized, he's a great athlete who can shoot phenomenally well and IMO grow to become a more than solid distributer and defender. He also happens to compliment Gordon's game as he would provide perhaps the best perimeter shooting available in the draft. His ability to drive in the paint also makes him a compliment to Davis who can clean up for second chance points. Lillard has the talent and desire to make him a very good pro, but unfortunately I think others teams will catch on too soon.

On the other hand, I feel Marshall would be a reach at 10 and would be a mistake. His lack of athleticism limits him defensively, and I just don't see him improving his offensive game substantially. Although a great passer, the Hornets lack the scoring talent to really capitalize on that, and adding him would add little improvement over Jack/Vasquez.

Lillard may not be the best player available at the 10th spot.

Plus, even though PG may be need, improving our offense is a need as well, especially perimeter shooting and post offense. Now Lillard does fill some of that with his scoring and is a fantastic offensive prospect, but he's also older than guys like Marshall, Leonard, Ross, and Lamb who all could be better long-term.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

if ur team sucks and u STILL score 25 while being double teamed and get 4 assists, ur a hell uv a player

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    if ur team sucks and u STILL score 25 while being double teamed and get 4 assists, ur a hell uv a player
    Nope. DOesn't matter cuz he played weak competition and had his weakest games vs decent teams. So, obviously, he's going to be...ah screw that.

Agree all the way.

Again, we don't need PG's. We need shooters. He clarified that in the conference video.

IMO Lillard is a scorer not a tradtional point guard .. While I think he fits the team, I don't really like him.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Lil Lard.
    Boris Diaw is already in the NBA

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Nope. DOesn't matter cuz he played weak competition and had his weakest games vs decent teams. So, obviously, he's going to be...ah screw that.

Agree all the way.
    I'll say it again. Weak competition with a weak feel for the game. Scores well but isn't the type to will your team to a win at all cost. If his scoring is off, he disappears. Look at his final game, he doesn't attempt to score for a whole 15 minute or so in the second half letting his team fall to a 20+ point deficit. The same thing happened against BYU and Cal. But you're enamored with his skillset.

I'd take a guy like Ross and Lamb in a strong SG draft over Lillard in a weak PG draft.

Humor is reason gone mad Savagetaint's Avatar
    I think the Hornets need a PG that can hit an open 3 with regularity, can get across mid-court with little trouble, and does not dribble until the shot clock is down to 4 before trying to run a play. Personally, I love how hard both Jack & Vasquez play the game and also, the way they both get into the game from the bench, but an upgrade is needed at the starting PG spot.
    Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Savagetaint View Post
    I think the Hornets need a PG that can hit an open 3 with regularity, can get across mid-court with little trouble, and does not dribble until the shot clock is down to 4 before trying to run a play. Personally, I love how hard both Jack & Vasquez play the game and also, the way they both get into the game from the bench, but an upgrade is needed at the starting PG spot.
    Your description sounds like a Mario Chalmers.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Chalmers has been a diggity doggone beast since Bosh went down.
    @DanielVeuleman

This team doesn't need a true PG with the starting unit. Gordon is a hybrid guard as it is and has shown to be quite adept penetrating and passing.

Humor is reason gone mad Savagetaint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    Your description sounds like a Mario Chalmers.
    I was actually thinking of Stephen Curry or Jrue Holiday. They need someone that is good with or without the ball since the offense will run primarily through Gordon.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    just a reminder that the original post never did make mention of a 10th pick (or anywhere else in the draft for that matter)...solely looking for discussion based on two different styles at the point....additional question now....how would you describe Dragic's game compared to a Lillard and a Marshall?
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

I personally think we need a scoring SF who can knock down the open 3.
    If a SF isn't there at 10 then I think we go after a C.

What are peoples thoughts on DJ Augustin from Charlotte if we can't Dragic?
    He has said he wants to come home and I think that the Bobcats are higher on
    Walker playing the point in their future.

I think he would cheaper than both Dragic or Lowry!

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Score first PG off the bench, pass first pg starting.
    Agreed. Look at a list of starting poing guards on championship teams since 2000. None of them fit the Lillard mold who is another A.I. in my opinion. It's filled with names like Derek Fisher, Tony Parker, Kidd, and Rondo. My point is pass first starting point guards will lead you to the promised land. Shoot first point guards don't. This MAY be the first year that could happen with Russell Westbrook but we'll have to see how it plays out. I have no problems with a score first point guard coming off the bench but I want my primary pg to be a facilitator. I take Marshall because he's a facilitator, he makes his team better, and he's proven against way better competition than Lillard.

Quote Originally Posted by BRHORNETSFAN View Post
    Agreed. Look at a list of starting poing guards on championship teams since 2000. None of them fit the Lillard mold who is another A.I. in my opinion. It's filled with names like Derek Fisher, Tony Parker, Kidd, and Rondo. My point is pass first starting point guards will lead you to the promised land. Shoot first point guards don't. This MAY be the first year that could happen with Russell Westbrook but we'll have to see how it plays out. I have no problems with a score first point guard coming off the bench but I want my primary pg to be a facilitator. I take Marshall because he's a facilitator, he makes his team better, and he's proven against way better competition than Lillard.
    True however I think you can find a pass first PG. You look at your list and non of those guys are the best player on their team. You could argue that many are not the second best player on their team. I think we need another scorer, whether in the low post or at the point, but low post is by far my biggest wish. Not a jump and dunker either (although it does not hurt) more of a create his own shot/shoot for range. Like D West that is able to drive and is willing to rebound. If we are looking at ten, I hope we look for offense. We can find a Derek Fisher.

In Lillard's draft workout/interview, he talks about being labeled a scorer and his passing ability. He said he was a scorer at Weber State because that was what he was asked to be. He has great basketball IQ and would be a great facilitator if needed. Monty said in his press conference that he would love to get a PG who he could develop behind Jack and Gravy. Jack is a combo guard who is a free agent after next year. Our team IS NOT set at the PG past next year, and people need to see that. Gravy is not a starter, he will be a solid career backup. Monty and Dell are obviously going to pick the best player available at #10, and Marshall will not be the best available player, so I see absolutely no chance of us drafting Marshall.

Back to the question of this post, pass first or score first? I don't think the two should be separated then force us to pick only one. A PG needs to be able to read his teams situation then decide if his team needs him to pass or score. CP3 was able to do that very well. He spoiled me because of it. Look at the rest of the all-star quality PGs: Parker, Westbrook, Rose, D. Will. They can all score and dish effectively well, depending on what their team needed them to do. So I'll go with a PG who can do both. Lillard via draft, or Dragic via free agency are the only two the Hornets have a realistic chance of getting. I'd rather Lillard because of age and our current ability to develop him without throwing him to the fire.
    Last edited by jfalgout2003; 06-03-2012 at 11:04 AM. Reason: clarification
    Jordy

Check out my blog: Sports' Boot

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TPDG22 View Post
    Again, we don't need PG's. We need shooters. He clarified that in the conference video.
    WTH is Lillard? So he's not a shooter? He scores point and knocks down 3s and jumpers! Go look at his statistics and scout reports.
    2013-1014 is the season the Pelicans fanbase grows!!!!

Thread Information