Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Are we going to be rebranded the New Orleans Cardinals?

Really? I travel often (Every week) and have yet to see many if any people wearing black and gold Saints merchadise outside of New Orleans that aren't from New Orleans. Saints merchadise only began working their way up the ladder due to two things: Katrina and the Saints being the only thing the city had, and sucess. Before then, when did you see anything but mockery of this franchise. It wasn't until 2009 until we actually reached the top 10, and if Drew Brees left tomorrow, Sean Peyton left because of the bounty deal you could bet your bottom dollar we'd be out of the top 10 within a year.

Your facts are also incorrect in my reasearch, http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf...ack_top_1.html , 2009 was the first year we cracked the top 10 (year before the superbowl)

So lets look at the last 5 years superbowl winners:
    2012: Giants TBD
    2011: Packers #1
    2010: Saints #1
    2009: Steelers #1
    2008: Giants #2

The Saints have only entered the rehlm of the Packers Cowboys and Steelers because they're winning nothing else. Those other three franchises are either a "global" brand or #1 or #2 in all overall superbowl wins. I'm sorry if you think it's foolish to seperate yourself from it, but the Hornets are a team striken by lack of identity; hense the whole purpose of the rebrand, and to tie their identity to someone else would totaly defeat the purpose of the multimillion dollar effort to create a unique identity for this franchise and IMO would be asinine asiten asieleven asitwelve.
    Last edited by BallSoHard; 05-15-2012 at 03:40 PM.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    I'm sorry if you think it's foolish to seperate yourself from it, but the Hornets are a team striken by lack of identity; hense the whole purpose of the rebrand, and to tie their identity to someone else would totaly defeat the purpose of the multimillion dollar effort to create a unique identity for this franchise and IMO would be asinine asiten asieleven asitwelve.

ITT Someone understands the purpose of rebranding

CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

I'm still liking New Orleans Dominoes, which was proposed by a reader in the letters column of the TP a couple of days ago.

The only reason I'd like that name is we had actual dominos as the numbers on the jerseys lol.

Hall of Famer
    Let's be brutally honest here: New Orleans is a football town. Louisiana is a football state. We're not like Oklahoma City and others, who have a rabid appreciation for both basketball and football. The Saints are as much a part of New Orleans as Jazz, Mardi Gras, Krewes, Voodoo, etc. Trying a Hornets rebrand without acknowledging one of the biggest aspects of New Orleans culture, the Saints, would be stupid. People act like a name change and/or a winning record is going to magically turn New Orleans into a two-sport city, and that's just not true. Locals are still going to see the "Pelicans" or the "Krewe" as a distant second to the Saints, unless some effort is made to make the two teams compatible in the fans' minds. Whether that be a religious-based name, a Fleur-de-lis design style, or a black & gold main color scheme, it doesn't matter. Something must be done to link New Orleans Basketball with New Orleans Football, otherwise the rebrand is purely a minor cosmetic change.

You can create a distinct identity that isn't a direct ripoff of the Saints. However, you cannot, and I do mean CAN NOT, craft an identity that caters to New Orleaneans while avoiding any association with the Saints. Not if you want to be successful, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Xist2inspire View Post
    Let's be brutally honest here: New Orleans is a football town. Louisiana is a football state. We're not like Oklahoma City and others, who have a rabid appreciation for both basketball and football. The Saints are as much a part of New Orleans as Jazz, Mardi Gras, Krewes, Voodoo, etc. Trying a Hornets rebrand without acknowledging one of the biggest aspects of New Orleans culture, the Saints, would be stupid. People act like a name change and/or a winning record is going to magically turn New Orleans into a two-sport city, and that's just not true. Locals are still going to see the "Pelicans" or the "Krewe" as a distant second to the Saints, unless some effort is made to make the two teams compatible in the fans' minds. Whether that be a religious-based name, a Fleur-de-lis design style, or a black & gold main color scheme, it doesn't matter. Something must be done to link New Orleans Basketball with New Orleans Football, otherwise the rebrand is purely a minor cosmetic change.

You can create a distinct identity that isn't a direct ripoff of the Saints. However, you cannot, and I do mean CAN NOT, craft an identity that caters to New Orleaneans while avoiding any association with the Saints. Not if you want to be successful, that is.
    Agreed that New Orleans probably always will be a football first town (and that's fine with me). However, I do not think the basketball team has to be linked (as far as branding) with the Saints to have any level of success.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN View Post
    Agreed that New Orleans probably always will be a football first town (and that's fine with me). However, I do not think the basketball team has to be linked (as far as branding) with the Saints to have any level of success.
    Oh, they'll be successful. But they won't be too much more successful than the Hornets currenly are now, unless some incredible name and phenomenal identity package suddenly materializes (and to be honest, none of the names that have come up are that good, good enough to stand on its own, side-by-side, with LSU and the Saints). And since the purpose of the rebrand is to forge a stronger bond with New Orleans..........

I just think that people are severely understating just how much the Saints identity is tied into both New Orleans and Louisiana culture.

Again, +1.

Linking (and I think HANDCUFFING might be a better term) the rebranded _________________s to the Saints is a horrible call. What if (god forbid) the Saints suck again and bandwagon fans drop off the map. How will the Saints branding carry the _____________s then? These two are and MUST be separate.

Cuz if they aren't we might as call them the New Orleans Basketball Saints.

But the purpose of a rebrand is to create a unique identity for a team that needs to create its OWN tradition in New Orleans.

BRB team needs rebrand so we aren't associated with another city

BRB rebranding the team by velcroing it to another existing (different sport) team's name/image

Hall of Famer
    But what defines "velcroing"? Does that mean no black? No gold? LSU is known for purple and "gold" (yellow). Should we avoid those colors too? What about the Fleur-de-lis? Why do you think the Fleur-de-bee was created? Benson owns the Saints, that's what he's known for. Should we seek a new owner, then? It's almost like saying the Penguins, Pirates, and Steelers should all go in completely different directions with their colors.

In my original post, I said that it was possible to create a distinct identity without ripping off the Saints. Choosing a name like the Cardinals, Angels or Bishops with little other reasoning other than, "it clicks with the Saints"? That's ripping off. Using a black & gold color scheme without trying to incorporate a different color? That's ripping off. Using the "Saints" name? That's ripping off. Using a Fleur-de-lis symbol without adding its own particular style and design? Again, that's what you would call "ripping off". That's what you call a copy-paste job, simply slapping a pseudo-Saints flavor on a poorly-thought-out rebranding project and saying, "here, love me!" That's one extreme. But the other, which is stubbornly ignoring a major part of New Orleans culture for the sake of "finding its own identity," is just as bad.

The middle ground here is designing an identity package with a knowing nod to all of New Orleans culture. That's a big part of why I feel that we could be making a huge mistake in discarding the Hornets identity so casually. Because like the late 90's/up until recently Utah Jazz, we took a name and identity that was tied up in another city and put our stamp of approval on it. The colors got brighter, to evoke a carnival-esque feel. The NOLA trumpet logo was designed, making a music connection. Mardi Gras connection? Here come the Mardi Gras jerseys. Saints + Fleur-de-lis + Hornets = Fleur-de-bee. That's a textbook example of how to design a winning identity, but somehow it's not enough for us. We want more. Cutting ourselves off completely from the Saints image is less, and makes the rebranding job that much more harder a job than it has to be. Again, people seem to think that simply a more localized name will automatically make this team more accepted than the Hornets, when that's only a very small part of creating a successful rebrand.

EDIT: Sorry about the massive wall of text, y'all.
    Last edited by Xist2inspire; 05-15-2012 at 04:58 PM.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xist2inspire View Post
    Not true at all.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

I agree 100%. It would be a huge mistake to brand this team as Saints Jr.

The Artist    Contributor   
    You all bring up some valid points! I am not a fan of the color scheme mentioned or the notion that it would be tied to either the bird or some image of a religious entity. I'm not hating on religion, I myself being a Catholic, but denominations aside, I think that this team has to appeal to a broader fan base while cementing their new identity here in New Orleans.

It's all going to be a tricky process, one that will have a significant impact on this team in the long term, and I think that the Benson camp knows this all to well. In regards to Shinn, I can feel his decision about not wanting to give up his 'baby' in terms of the Hornets being his from the start, but still in all, that identity should have never left Charlotte.

My feelings with moves like that kind of played out with the temporary move to OKC after Katrina. Meaning that we were honestly his fall-back option when the league wouldn't let him move the team to Memphis like he originally wanted to. The Grizzlies had a lock on it already and we became I believe, the only viable option for him to leave Charlotte in such a hurry.

I think had he truly wanted to ingrain this team here, he would have gone the route that the Sonics/Thunder took in rebranding the minute they touched Louisiana soil. At least the Thunder's owner made it clear from the start that his team was going to be here for good, even though their logo/uniform package is crap IMO! Shinn never attempted this until the move back from OKC and even still he couldn't resist the urge to revert back to the pinstripe look, which most teams had abandoned by that time, even with suttle 'New Orleans' touches.

With the success of the Saints, everyone is exepecting Benson to knock this rebrand out of the park. And rightfully so because it can be done! I think by now those of us here have narrowed our names list's down to the point that we could honestly pick a top 3 to roll the dice with if need be. Gayle has thrown her dice on the table and now some people fear the implications because A) It's his wife and pull (pun intended) I would assume goes far, B) The 'it's another teams name' is back into the fold, C) Hate the colors/imagery and D) It's not 'New Orleans' at all!

Well I agree on all those points. That's why names like Pelicans, Arcangels, Krewe, Brass, Dukes; all appeal greater to myself because they are all unique names and can contain unique identities, sans any ties to the Saints. I mean the Arena already literally lives in the shadow of the Superdome and is nestled between a towering building and interstate. Like it or not, the Arena will have no choice but to stay in the little brother category to the dome because of it's placement. The team however, doesn't have to be.

Aside from more time and birthrite status the Saints lay claim to, I think their colors play a keener sense on people willing to wear them even outside of football season. It's like I don't wear my jersey until the season starts, but I have a ton of t-shirts and hats that I will wear year round. You don't see that too much with the Hornets, maybe it's because their palette is too 'loud', maybe it's because people appreciate that they are here, but don't consider them a 'New Orleans' team.

I think that's it's that perception that Benson is keying on when he say's that Hornets has nothing to do with New Orleans. Neither does a Saint, but the fact remains that we the people, the fans, made it have meaning. The same can be done with any of the other names that I mentioned, plus the fact that they are names/terms, already instilled into the fabric of this city and state, that own it's own can carry major weight into the success of a rebrand.

Krewe might catch more people offf guard than say Revelers, simply because somebody outside of New Orleans without basic knowledge of Mardi Gras may associate Revelers with what our celebration is about. Not the fact that a Krewe is a term used for parading clubs and would thus be in reference to all of New Orleans being a part of a 'Krewe'. Either one could share the same MG color combination, but it's the name that holds the significance.

The same could be said for Voodoo or Hurricanes. Both distinct in their own right. Both install a sense of fear in many. And both are extremely relateable to our home. Brass, Angels, Dukes, Pelicans, all names with varying tie-in's to the city. It's just to what degree are we willing to exploit them to make it work. If you had $50 and a choice for either, would you buy a Miami Heat jersey or a New Orleans Pelicans jersey? Why?

What I mentioned before about the Saints is that their color scheme, blends with almost everything, and it's one that many people in New Orleans wear year round team related or not. You can honestly put black and gold together and drop any color swatch against it and it will work. People feel comfortable wearing it because each color invokes a certain feeling. Gold might invoke a feeling of power and wealth, where as Black can symbolize strength, intimidation, or a certain mysteriousness. Why do you think the majority of Saints players opt for the all black uniforms at home?

Sports uniforms have not only modified themselves for the sake of performance, they have also given way to new extreme designs that fall way outside of logical sports idenity standards. Many NCAA schools are taking heed to the fact that the overall look of certain school's uniforms play a part in where some players want to play. Nike took Oregon in as their guinea pig and in turn created a culture of copycat outfitters trying desperately to attain that 'next' new image for everyone to jump on.

What gives pro leagues and edge in all of this is the amount of teams and the willingness of those teams to go however far the outfitter is willing to take them (i.e. Seattle). The Bengals, Vikings, Bills, etc. all took a chance except the Bills realized their error and made amends for it. Why? Because they know that aside from ticket sales, etc. Merchandise sales can be the ultimate cash cow if people are satisfied with what the team is putting out there. Another reason why the NBA allows the majority of teams to throwback to numerous uniforms, fan inspired, all to capitalize on the dollar.

I am willing to bet that a strong brand identity for this team will go a long way in the future, especially with the possibility of a potential contender in 2-3 years and a team that people here can truly feel and call their own.

I just watched the special and while Mrs. Benson didn't say anything about a name or color scheme, it was the reporter, Jennifer Hale, that said Mrs. Benson already has a color scheme in mind and that is black, gold and cardinal red. Never said anything about the team name being Cardinals.

I agree Bigdub.

Arcangels is it................................................ ........epic.....................oh yeah.........

We could use the royal blue or go with night black, halo gold, and crescent white like in my previous logo:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arc angels2.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	8.0 KB 
ID:	3768

epic......................

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Changes are on the way Pasta Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezwax View Post
    On fox 8 last night Jennifer Hale did a 10 minute story/interview with Gayle Benson. They asked her about the bounties and then the Hornets. She said she already has given Tom her choice for the new color scheme....Black, Gold and Cardinal red because of their religious beliefs. It makes sense the New Orleans Cardinals...you would have the saints and the cardinals?? What do you all think? I kinda like it.
    black and gold.....ok.....and red...yuck

this is just so silly, naming a freaking basketball team based on religious believes. maybe if her believes were a little different we could be the New Orleans flying spaghetti monsters with lime green and purple uniforms.

please please hire professionals in this field.
    NOLA Gothic

Jeez Hornets78, I'd offer you Viagra, but it seems mentioning ArcAngels is all it takes!

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    Jeez Hornets78, I'd offer you Viagra, but it seems mentioning ArcAngels is all it takes!
    I don't wanna brag, but I am fine without both............

Not the most exciting choice, but far better than Derpbirds/Pelicans.
    Old fan. Tired fan. I want to believe.

Black, Gold, and Creole Blue anyone?
    looking for team to bandwagon, pls help

How bout the Flambeaus?????????? Every game we could have like 19 of them run out there and people could through coins at them........

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04620.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	3769

What about NEW ORLEANS CONTRAFLOW?! and our logo can be an overflowing toilet

No red, please no red. I'd rather go back to teal than be red.

Thread Information