Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Are we going to be rebranded the New Orleans Cardinals?

Red, black and gold sounds ugly.

Just make it red and gold, call them the Knights, and be done with it.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatChristian View Post
    Hi. Blue is a common color so I really wouldn't suggest that NY adopts blue because the city loves it as their color. Besides everyone knows the #1 team for New Yorkers is the Yankees and they don't have that blue color. My point is that by changing the Hornets to black and gold everyone would consider them a Saints Jr franchise. The Hornets need to make a splash for themselves and not be tied to the Saints franchise for any reason. Besides even if you like the idea of Cardinals, what Cardinal has black and gold. Cardinals are red and white.

Also, i love the Hornets color schemes. I love your avatar too as it is distinctive but still simliar to the Saints. If they are going to change the color scheme, I think a Mardi Gras color scheme would be way better than a black and gold. Think about how unique that would be. I still prefer the light blue, but if the color scheme changes, the Mardi Gras purple and gold unis were pretty cool looking.
    The Yankees colors are white and navy blue.

The Hornets have already tried to incorporate the mardi gras colors. And they even have a mardi gras uniform(widely thought of as one of the worst in the league though I don't think they are bad). What's the point of rebranding if we're not changing things. I think we need to get as far away from our old name and colors as possible. I'm not completely throwing Mardi Gras colors out, hell, LSU uses Mardi Gras colors. But between the Lakers already, and what the Hornets have already done, I think they need to go in a different direction.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    I'm racking my brain trying to picture a red, gold and black jersey, but I just can't picture it...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    I'm racking my brain trying to picture a red, gold and black jersey, but I just can't picture it...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flagge-deutschland-schwarz-rot-gold.gif 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.5 KB 
ID:	3766

Chris Kaman would be so proud.

PS- and for the record, I do not like the idea of red being included unless it's a small accent of some kind.

Actually, the Atlanta Hawks are already black, red and gold.

The Franchise Contributor GeauxPelicans's Avatar
    Don't like it, but anything is better than "Hornets"

Hi,

Yes the Yankees are navy blue but their colors are not comparable to the rest of the teams you just mentioned. It's closer to black than those shades of blue.

I understand your point of going in a different direction and my point is to run as fast as we can away from the black and gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    The Yankees colors are white and navy blue.

The Hornets have already tried to incorporate the mardi gras colors. And they even have a mardi gras uniform(widely thought of as one of the worst in the league though I don't think they are bad). What's the point of rebranding if we're not changing things. I think we need to get as far away from our old name and colors as possible. I'm not completely throwing Mardi Gras colors out, hell, LSU uses Mardi Gras colors. But between the Lakers already, and what the Hornets have already done, I think they need to go in a different direction.

The Hornets have grown on me and especially since all of the marketing that has been done to save the team. I realize Mr. Benson will change the name, but if it was me, I would keep everything exactly the way it is.

Actually, the Atlanta Hawks are already black, red and gold.
    No, they dumped the black and gold for a dark blue and red. But the old Hawks were

Really do not like that color combination at all. I hope Benson comes to his senses. However, since the talks about him buying the Hornets became public, I almost get the feel that the Hornets are kind of her "baby" and she will have some say.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    The black and gold, and the fluer du lis is New Orleans. Like you said, people see that and they immediately think of the Saints. That's what we are looking for. It's up to the team to make themselves memorable.
    So until then, we hang out in the shadow of the other black-and-gold fleur du lis team until we emerge as a unique team. Sorry but maybe we just need to agree to disagree on this topic.

Formerly "Rocket Man" groundpatty's Avatar
    For what it's worth, I just watched the special, and yea she wanted those colors but never said anything about "Cardinals" being the team name.

{edited by moderator}

Once again, naming the Hornets anything that has to do with a Catholic connotation alienates anyone who follows the Hornets that isn't a practicing Catholic. That being said, the majority of followers of this team is not Catholic. (guestimate)...

Please keep Angels, Cardinals, Priests, Knights (of Columbus) etc...to the Roman Catholic Basketball League.

Quote Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
    {edited by moderator}

Once again, naming the Hornets anything that has to do with a Catholic connotation alienates anyone who follows the Hornets that isn't a practicing Catholic. That being said, the majority of followers of this team is not Catholic. (guestimate)...

Please keep Angels, Cardinals, Priests, Knights (of Columbus) etc...to the Roman Catholic Basketball League.
    Disagree. People love the Saints and it is a catholic name. However, personally I would like a completely separate identity for the basketball team and not one tied to the Saints. And I hate the color combination of black, gold and red.

It's going to be hard to find a name or symbol that won't be offensive to someone. That being said, I just want something interesting; more interested with the design than the actual name. For goodness sake, the Lakers in Los Angeles, The Jazz in Utah, Kings in Sacrmento? Who sense does all of that make. I'm all for naming it something that has to do with NOLA, Surge (For tidal surge), Hurricanes, Black Bears or whatevever. Also, I don't really like the cardinals name. Besides the connotation towards the Catholic Church, it's maybe the least feared bird ever lol.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Saints are biblically defined as saved sinners like you and I. The word "saints" is used 9X in the book of Ephesians alone using the term as to describe people that were saved during the day. This term was in use before the start of the Roman Catholic Church.

I don't think that is a good global way of looking at things. The Saints lead the entire NFL in merchandise sales just in 2010(a very competitive market) and have been in the top ten for a few years now. There are going to be a lot of people buying basketball jersey's and new team XYZ hats, etc. It's much more important that they make it things people want to buy, and not just different to be different. There are only so many purple and creole blue items people are going to buy. People already having Saints shirts didn't stop the Saints from still outselling nearly every other team and it wouldn't stop the basketball team if they do it right.
    Well said....

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatChristian View Post
    Saints are biblically defined as saved sinners like you and I. The word "saints" is used 9X in the book of Ephesians alone using the term as to describe people that were saved during the day. This term was in use before the start of the Roman Catholic Church.
    This is not a religious or theological site. When someone thinks of Saints in religion, they think of the Catholic religion, thus the discussion about about a Catholic name.

Except for the fact that we were on the heels of a superbowl. Guess who lead it last year? The Packers. Winning teams sell merchadise and it makes a ton of sense since A) they're playing longer in the season B) people are proud (bandwagon effect as well) C) there's just more merchadise to sell at that point. I think picking 2 color sets IS a global way of thinking about things. People have to purchase two sets of things. Sure it changing our colors to black and gold won't stop everyone from buying black and gold basketball shirt, but it also wouldn't ENCOURAGE them to buy them since they won't be "supporting the team" properly by wearing off colors. Everyone will just take the gear they bought in 2010 and wear it to games. Hell I've bought a Hornets shirt in the gift shop just because I wasn't in the correct colors before to be more a part of the game.

Here's the interview.

I think it is going out onto a BIG limb to suggest that Cardinals are the team name.

I think that Black and Gold with Red accents could work very well.

http://www.fox8live.com/story/184235...clipId=7258744

I guess we'll just forget about the Pops song regarding Saints.

I guess we'll also ignore the facts the parts of the New Testament were written at carious time and have been translated time and again.

What else can we ignore today? Is Chris Paul still on the team? Maybe Shinn still owns the team? Did we get Dwight Howard?

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Except for the fact that we were on the heels of a superbowl. Guess who lead it last year? The Packers. Winning teams sell merchadise and it makes a ton of sense since A) they're playing longer in the season B) people are proud (bandwagon effect as well) C) there's just more merchadise to sell at that point. I think picking 2 color sets IS a global way of thinking about things. People have to purchase two sets of things. Sure it changing our colors to black and gold won't stop everyone from buying black and gold basketball shirt, but it also wouldn't ENCOURAGE them to buy them since they won't be "supporting the team" properly by wearing off colors. Everyone will just take the gear they bought in 2010 and wear it to games. Hell I've bought a Hornets shirt in the gift shop just because I wasn't in the correct colors before to be more a part of the game.
    Worrying about some local fans who already own a black shirt is not a global way of looking at this. The Saints entered the top ten in merchandise sales before they won the superbowl, and have remained in the top ten ever since. They peaked out at #1 during and after their superbowl. While winning obviously matters(and was to my original point of it being up to the basketball team), every team that wins the superbowl does not jump up to #1. The Saints have entered a realm with the likes of the Packers, the Cowboys, and the Steelers. They have for this short time period become america's new team(bounties or no bounties). This is a successful business model. This is New Orleans. On a "global" level, the black and gold, and the fleur de lis are recognized and on the map. It's just absolutely foolish in my mind to actually "want" to seperate from that. To actively fight against something that is proven successful all because a few people already own black and gold. As I said, everyone owning actual Saints shirts by the dozen hasn't stopped the Saints from remaining in the top ten. If they come out with a black and gold themed basketball team, you know people are buying those jerseys, shirts and hats by the thousands.

I find it awful

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    Just stick with Arcangels..............epic
    Yeah, like that more or less

If were going with a bird name I'd rather be the Pelicans.

Still, Cardinals is better than some other options tossed around (Arcangles, Neonights)

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    It would be terrible.
    ^
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

Thread Information