Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Are we going to be rebranded the New Orleans Cardinals?

Are we going to be rebranded the New Orleans Cardinals?

On fox 8 last night Jennifer Hale did a 10 minute story/interview with Gayle Benson. They asked her about the bounties and then the Hornets. She said she already has given Tom her choice for the new color scheme....Black, Gold and Cardinal red because of their religious beliefs. It makes sense the New Orleans Cardinals...you would have the saints and the cardinals?? What do you all think? I kinda like it.
    Bringing it back to the bottom of the map!

The Franchise
    Already have Cardinals in Football and Baseball. I guess adding it to Basketball would be OK. But, I would rather something more original.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    It wouldn't be terrible.
    Wherehappens.

dislike
    "Times are not good here. The city is crumbling into ashes. It has been buried under taxes and frauds and maladministraions so that it has become a study for archaeologists...but it is better to live here in sackcloth and ashes than to own the whole state of Ohio."

— Lafcadio Hearn (Inventing New Orleans: Writings of Lafcadio Hearn)

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    As long as it has the black and gold, I would be fine.

Have to think about this one for a minute...

Guess you can have a black and gold pelican with red eyes...

I don't like it at all.

I wouldn't vomit in response, but I won't jump up and down either.

Hall of Famer
    Heh. I remember entering a contest to design the new Charlotte team back when they moved out. My entry was the Cardinals (It's their state bird). It's gotta be one of the most generic names around, haha. Still, we might be one of the few to use it for its religious significance rather than its bird meaning........ Meh. Could work, not keen on it actually happening.

I think using Black and Gold colors would be a huge mistake. The Hornets would be considered the Saints Jr, versus their own brand. Someone made a great point about the Boston teams. The Celtics, Red Sox, Patriots and Bruins are all adored up there and all have different color schemes. Black and Gold for basketball would be a terrible idea in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatChristian View Post
    I think using Black and Gold colors would be a huge mistake. The Hornets would be considered the Saints Jr, versus their own brand. Someone made a great point about the Boston teams. The Celtics, Red Sox, Patriots and Bruins are all adored up there and all have different color schemes. Black and Gold for basketball would be a terrible idea in my opinion.
    And the Yankees, Mets, Knicks, Giants, Rangers, etc. are all blue and all adored in NY. It's only insecure fans that even have the thought of a Jr. and Sr. team. Most people just see it as a New Orleans football and basketball team. Black and Gold are the profesional NO colors, Tom Benson's colors, and no one is using them in the NBA. Why would we look beyond that? We're trying to create seperation from Charlotte's team, not New Orlean's team. To be completely honest, the Hornets could use the connection.

Blog Entries
    New Orleans Cardinals is by far my least favorite favorite name that's been brought up.

I'd rather be called The New Orleans Basketball Team, and I mean that in all seriousness.
    audaci favet fortuna (Thanks, Harvey)- Fortune favors the bold.
    R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl
    Bourbon Street Shots
    Saints247
    @GerrityJoe

My Real Estate Brokerage--WeSellNola.com
    My Vape Stores-- Crescent City Vape

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    And the Yankees, Mets, Knicks, Giants, Rangers, etc. are all blue and all adored in NY. It's only insecure fans that even have the thought of a Jr. and Sr. team. Most people just see it as a New Orleans football and basketball team. Black and Gold are the profesional NO colors, Tom Benson's colors, and no one is using them in the NBA. Why would we look beyond that? We're trying to create seperation from Charlotte's team, not New Orlean's team. To be completely honest, the Hornets could use the connection.
    However, anytime you see a black and gold fleur du lis, what is the first thing people think of? The Saints. I have a gold fleur du lis on a black luggage tag on my suitcase (not the official Saints logo either) and everytime at the airport when I'm getting my gate-checked bag, the guy is like "Saints tag bag".

We would not be able to use the fleur du lis at all if we kept the same colors.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    The Fleur will stick no matter what.

Not feeling Cardinals at all. Rather go with Angels without the arch than that.

Rather go with Pelicans than that. It's superior bird after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    The Fleur will stick no matter what.
    And that's why you don't want black and gold as your primary colors. Maybe an alternate uniform (since Benson is the owner).

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Black, gold, and red is pretty bad*** though.

Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP View Post
    Black, gold, and red is pretty bad*** though.
    Then make primary colors red and ___________. And keep alternate colors/jerseys black gold and red.

Arch-Cardinalangels

@DatPurpleHornet

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    However, anytime you see a black and gold fleur du lis, what is the first thing people think of? The Saints. I have a gold fleur du lis on a black luggage tag on my suitcase (not the official Saints logo either) and everytime at the airport when I'm getting my gate-checked bag, the guy is like "Saints tag bag".

We would not be able to use the fleur du lis at all if we kept the same colors.
    I think people are really throwing themselves in loops on this rebranding issue. Everyone is really losing site of the goal. We are rebranding to make this OUR team. This is no longer the Charlotte Hornets, or anyone else's. The black and gold, and the fluer du lis is New Orleans. Like you said, people see that and they immediately think of the Saints. That's what we are looking for. It's up to the team to make themselves memorable.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NOLABGHornets.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	4.2 KB 
ID:	3765

There is no denying that this is our team, and unique from any other.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    I think people are really throwing themselves in loops on this rebranding issue. Everyone is really losing site of the goal. We are rebranding to make this OUR team. This is no longer the Charlotte Hornets, or anyone else's. The black and gold, and the fluer du lis is New Orleans. Like you said, people see that and they immediately think of the Saints. That's what we are looking for. It's up to the team to make themselves memorable.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NOLABGHornets.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	4.2 KB 
ID:	3765

There is no denying that this is our team, and unique from any other.

And also no denying Benson wouldn't make any money off of merchandising. The Arena would be full of Saints shirts and jerseys....

Just stick with Arcangels..............epic

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Hi. Blue is a common color so I really wouldn't suggest that NY adopts blue because the city loves it as their color. Besides everyone knows the #1 team for New Yorkers is the Yankees and they don't have that blue color. My point is that by changing the Hornets to black and gold everyone would consider them a Saints Jr franchise. The Hornets need to make a splash for themselves and not be tied to the Saints franchise for any reason. Besides even if you like the idea of Cardinals, what Cardinal has black and gold. Cardinals are red and white.

Also, i love the Hornets color schemes. I love your avatar too as it is distinctive but still simliar to the Saints. If they are going to change the color scheme, I think a Mardi Gras color scheme would be way better than a black and gold. Think about how unique that would be. I still prefer the light blue, but if the color scheme changes, the Mardi Gras purple and gold unis were pretty cool looking.

Quote Originally Posted by SeauxCrazy View Post
    And also no denying Benson wouldn't make any money off of merchandising. The Arena would be full of Saints shirts and jerseys....
    I don't think that is a good global way of looking at things. The Saints lead the entire NFL in merchandise sales just in 2010(a very competitive market) and have been in the top ten for a few years now. There are going to be a lot of people buying basketball jersey's and new team XYZ hats, etc. It's much more important that they make it things people want to buy, and not just different to be different. There are only so many purple and creole blue items people are going to buy. People already having Saints shirts didn't stop the Saints from still outselling nearly every other team and it wouldn't stop the basketball team if they do it right.

Thread Information