Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who are the top 10 Centers in NBA History?

Who are the top 10 Centers in NBA History?

1) Bill Russell
    2) Kareem
    3) Wilt
    4) Shaq
    5) Hakeem
    6) David Robinson
    7) Moses Malone
    8) Dikembe Mutombo
    9) George Mikan
    10) Willis Reed

I can't find a spot for Ewing but he deserves to be on the list somewhere.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

nate thurmond!

cmon now why is mutombo there?

I think Dikembe deserves to be there. Dude was the epitome of defense when he played, and was consistent. He was a very selfless player, so he didn't demand the ball for shots, but when he did he was still consistent. He moved around a lot more than your traditional dominant center, but that was because he was a gun for higher, and he was always on teams that knew they were going nowhere so why keep him.

What does your list look like.

Nate Thurmond

First player in NBA history to record a quadruple-double in a game
    One of five players in NBA history to average at least 15 rebounds per game for his career
    One of five players in NBA history to average at least 20 rebounds per game during a season
    One of four players in NBA history to record 40 or more rebounds in a game
    Recording 20 or more rebounds in all games of a playoff series
    Recording 20 or more rebounds in all games of a championship series
    Averaged 20.5 pts 22 rbs ('67-'68)

I know that is YOUR list. but try to research more first before posting something like that. i can only think of nate thurmond but i know there are a couple of centers better than maybe the admiral and mutombo

Quote Originally Posted by janjanjanjan3 View Post
    I know that is YOUR list. but try to research more first before posting something like that.
    His thread title has a question mark in it, this thread is him doing research.

Pretty much what you said with 1-7 but:

1) Bill Russell
    2) Kareem
    3) Wilt
    4) Shaq
    5) Hakeem
    6) Pat Ewing
    7) David Robinson
    8) Moses Malone
    9) Robert Parrish
    10) Mikan or thurmond
    10)

No way Mutombo is higher than Ewing.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    1) Bill Russell
    2) Kareem
    3) Wilt
    4) Shaq
    5) Hakeem
    6) David Robinson
    7) Moses Malone
    8) Dikembe Mutombo
    9) George Mikan
    10) Willis Reed

I can't find a spot for Ewing but he deserves to be on the list somewhere.
    Its so hard to compare generations, but here is my take

1. Kareem - Won with the Bucks! Longevity, quality and duarbility is why I have him here. 6 time NBA MVP. Most unstoppable shot ever.
    2. Russell - Unmatched defensively, his team dominated for years, not sure if competition was up to par, but he did it against the third best center. 11 championships.
    3. Wilt - dominated offensively. 100 point game
    4. Hakeem - Won a championship without another star player. Took advantage of the best player ever leaving the game. A genius at the post. His skills are the best for any big man that I've seen play at their prime.
    5. Shaq - physically had all the tools, doesn't have the drive that the players above had, but if he did, he would have been the greatest of all time.
    6 Moses - Most overlooked bigman, Three time NBA MVP. Was a 20/20 guy in his prime. Dominant rebounder at his size. 00
    7 Ewing - The roadblock of Jordan hindered him from getting to the finals a couple of times. If there was no Jordan, how many championships would he have won? What if Starks didn't lose them the game 7? A force on both ends of the court.
    8. Robinson - Classy guy who had a well rounded game. Defensively and offensively amazing and was great when there were a plethora of good big men. The only knock is that he didn't win until Tim Duncan was on his team.
    9. Bill Walton - the ultimate, "what if" player... won a championship with the Blazers with him carrying the team and then injuries set in.
    10. Reed.

I don't know much about George Mikan, I know he was a great player, but its hard to rank some of these guys, cause I only saw a handful of them play. I didn't put Dikembe on the list cause I look at him with a great defensive game but a lack of offensive game compared to the others on the list. He's a game changer, but not as much as the guys above. Is Tim Duncan considered a center? I know he's widely considered a power forward, but if he was a center he vaults to maybe to 2 or 3. Best power forward of all time.
    Last edited by rubicon; 05-08-2012 at 11:50 AM.
    follow me @SportsPillowTlk . I blog and have a podcast about Gulf Coast Sports, Saint, Texans, Rockets, Hornets, LSU, Cougars, Longhorns, NBA, NFL, MLB, Astros

Great rankings, but no way Shaq is better than Hakeem. I watched Hakeem SCHOOL shaq in the finals. It was ugly.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Yeah, I think Hakeem gets underrated in these discussions. I know it's hard to put him above Russel and Kareem, but I think he's definitely better than the other centers he played against, like Ewing, Shaq, and Robinson.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Dump Dikembe, put Ewing in there at 10th and you're set.

Quote Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
    Its so hard to compare generations, but here is my take

1. Kareem - Won with the Bucks! Longevity, quality and duarbility is why I have him here. 6 time NBA MVP. Most unstoppable shot ever.
    2. Russell - Unmatched defensively, his team dominated for years, not sure if competition was up to par, but he did it against the third best center. 11 championships.
    3. Wilt - dominated offensively. 100 point game
    4. Hakeem - Won a championship without another star player. Took advantage of the best player ever leaving the game. A genius at the post. His skills are the best for any big man that I've seen play at their prime.
    5. Shaq - physically had all the tools, doesn't have the drive that the players above had, but if he did, he would have been the greatest of all time.
    6 Moses - Most overlooked bigman, Three time NBA MVP. Was a 20/20 guy in his prime. Dominant rebounder at his size. 00
    7 Ewing - The roadblock of Jordan hindered him from getting to the finals a couple of times. If there was no Jordan, how many championships would he have won? What if Starks didn't lose them the game 7? A force on both ends of the court.
    8. Robinson - Classy guy who had a well rounded game. Defensively and offensively amazing and was great when there were a plethora of good big men. The only knock is that he didn't win until Tim Duncan was on his team.
    9. Bill Walton - the ultimate, "what if" player... won a championship with the Blazers with him carrying the team and then injuries set in.
    10. Reed.

I don't know much about George Mikan, I know he was a great player, but its hard to rank some of these guys, cause I only saw a handful of them play. I didn't put Dikembe on the list cause I look at him with a great defensive game but a lack of offensive game compared to the others on the list. He's a game changer, but not as much as the guys above. Is Tim Duncan considered a center? I know he's widely considered a power forward, but if he was a center he vaults to maybe to 2 or 3. Best power forward of all time.
    With Oscar Robertson, one of the best point guards in NBA history...

You don't follow my Twitter, I lead yours.

https://twitter.com/#!/onpointlikecp3

Thats the beauty of this being an opinion on such a vague question.

If Duncan can be placed on that list I would throw him in the top 5, but I think everyone has him down as a pf, and as such he is one of the top 3 in NBA history.

Thats the beauty of this being an opinion on such a vague question.

If Duncan can be placed on that list I would throw him in the top 5, but I think everyone has him down as a pf, and as such he is one of the top 3 in NBA history.

I think you'd struggle to find 2 guys that belong above him. There were certainly more talented ones, but better? That's tough.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    I think you'd struggle to find 2 guys that belong above him. There were certainly more talented ones, but better? That's tough.
    Would you put Duncan above Malone? Barkley?

I wouldn't put Duncan above Malone. That guy was cursed with playing in the Jordan era. Take away Jordan and put in the Pacers or Knicks and the Jazz road to a title would have been much easier. Malone was asked to do it all and with fewer pieces around him than what Duncan had. While Malone had Stockton (to Duncans Parker), he never had Manu, David Robinson, or other cast of characters Duncan has had around him contributing to his success.

Absolutely,

Charles barkley Career stats
    PPG 22.1 REbounds 11.7 Blocks .83 Steals 1.54 Assist 3.9 FG% .541 (wow!) Rings 0

Malone
    PPG 25 Rebounds 10.01 Blocks 0.8 Steals 1.4 Assist 3.6 FG% .514 Rings 0

Duncan
    PPG 20.3 Rebounds 11.3 Blocks 2.2 Steals .7 Assist 3.1 FG% .507 Rings 5

Think the rings and defense put him over the top, but very close. I actually didnt know CB had such a high career FG%

I wouldn't put Duncan above Malone. That guy was cursed with playing in the Jordan era. Take away Jordan and put in the Pacers or Knicks and the Jazz road to a title would have been much easier. Malone was asked to do it all and with fewer pieces around him than what Duncan had. While Malone had Stockton (to Duncans Parker), he never had Manu, David Robinson, or other cast of characters Duncan has had around him contributing to his success.
    NEVER?!?! Lakers =)

NEVER?!?! Lakers =)
    ?

I don't thing you can use rings as an end all. Is BJ Armstrong a better pg than Chris Paul?

Are their stats as close as the ones I posted?

if youre into rankings of these sorts may i recommend you read bill simmons basketball bible... i never ever recommend books to read but this is a must. best basketball book ever written.

oh and my top 10

Kareem
    Russel
    Wilt
    Hakeem
    Shaq
    David Robinson
    Ewing
    Moses
    Willis Reed
    Mikan
    Last edited by BLT23; 05-08-2012 at 02:11 PM.
    Hornets fan since day 1.

?

I don't thing you can use rings as an end all. Is BJ Armstrong a better pg than Chris Paul?
    Karl Malone played withtthe Lakers with Shaq Kobe and Garry Payton by the way, although it was in the very late twilight of his career.

Yes, but the second championship with Robinson, it was just him carrying the team, cause the Admiral was a shadow of his old self. And then the next one, he had a young Tony Parker and Manu. His team was the only team to take down the Lakers with Shaq and Kobe. I put him above Malone cause Malone relied on Stockton so much. Without Stockton I don't think Malone would have been as great. I might even have to say Duncan is that generation's best player (generation after Jordan)

That Malone had no gas left in the tank. Payton did (by seeing him bounce around to 3 or 4 more times before he called it quits), but the Lakers knew they were getting damaged goods but took the risk anyway. (side note) Who else was at that game when we beat that Lakers team here at the arena? That was crazy.

The stats between Duncan, Barkley, and Malone are almost interchangeable. One guy does better than another, but not as well as another, and so it goes.

Karl Malone played withtthe Lakers with Shaq Kobe and Garry Payton by the way, although it was in the very late twilight of his career.
    I almost forgot Horace Grant was on that team too. Crazy.

Thread Information