Pelicans Report

Page 37 of 982 FirstFirst ... 27 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 47 87 137 537 ... LastLast

Thread: League Chat Thread

The Mad Titan    Contributor   
    Today sometime after 2.
    Guys to watch out for (internet tough guys):

jrdbrn

Guys that know you are personally a coward despite never meeting you or holding a real conversation with you (psychic or stalker):

BasketballNate

Today after 2pm.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Anxiously awaiting to see how my team will do! 2nd best Win % in the East!
    People's Basketball Sim League presents...

1992-93 Season Record: 52-30
    C Kevin Willis | PF Otis Thorpe | SF Robert Horry | SG Dell Curry | PG Johnny Dawkins
    Key Reserves: Robert Parish | Anthony Mason | Walter Davis | Terry Porter

Fire Monty!! Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    I'm kind of disappointed with my team giving up 91 points per game. I guess right now I just have to wait it out, I drafted my team really young.

My starters are 22, 25, 29, 24, and 26.

The guy I drafted to start at SF for me is also only 24.
    PelicansReport.com Sim League
    New Orleans Hornets General Manager

Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP View Post
    I'm kind of disappointed with my team giving up 91 points per game. I guess right now I just have to wait it out, I drafted my team really young.

My starters are 22, 25, 29, 24, and 26.

The guy I drafted to start at SF for me is also only 24.
    I can one up you, due to the recent play of Ruben Patterson my starters will be:
    21,19,23,25,and 29

Ok now I willing to let go Clifford Robinson to shed some salary, youth and/or picks.

"I want ONLY 9 eyebrows in the starting lineup for the Hornets next year." I typed this before the draft lottery

to those who have experience with a Sim League :

How does the attribute Greed, Loyalty and Play for Winners work?

How does Free Agency work?
    Will a player with an expired contract refuse an extension with your team if he has low loyalty value?
    Will a Free Agent with a high Play for Winner attribute choose a lower offer from a contender than a higher offer from a worse team?

HR Sim League - Washington Wizards

Quote Originally Posted by janjanjanjan3 View Post
    to those who have experience with a Sim League :

How does the attribute Greed, Loyalty and Play for Winners work?

How does Free Agency work?
    Will a player with an expired contract refuse an extension with your team if he has low loyalty value?
    Will a Free Agent with a high Play for Winner attribute choose a lower offer from a contender than a higher offer from a worse team?
    It's kind of like a "invisible" stat I guess. You may lose a guy in FA, but you won't ever know if it was because he had a low loyalty rating or anything.

I updated the index for all you guys who made moves. Kings/Lakers/Blazers

how about on the signing of Free Agents? how does that work? we submit offers and the player will decide? did it ever happen that a player chooses a lower offer(money) from a contender over a higher offer from another team?

how about on the signing of Free Agents? how does that work? we submit offers and the player will decide? did it ever happen that a player chooses a lower offer(money) from a contender over a higher offer from another team?
    I haven't made a final decision on that yet, I've seen it done two ways, and I may research to see if I can find a few other ways.

The first one I've seen is people would just pm me with all their offers. Player, number of years, starting salary, and percentage increase (8-12 I think, not sure though) and I'd input it to the game. This way everyones bids are confidential only too me.

The second way is just a bidding style, every player has their own thread in the free agency forum and you just bid on the player. So everyone knows what's being offered, and if a player isn't offered within 24 hours then he goes to the guy with the highest offer. The problem with that is it tends to force people into overpaying big time.

Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP View Post
    I haven't made a final decision on that yet, I've seen it done two ways, and I may research to see if I can find a few other ways.

The first one I've seen is people would just pm me with all their offers. Player, number of years, starting salary, and percentage increase (8-12 I think, not sure though) and I'd input it to the game. This way everyones bids are confidential only too me.

The second way is just a bidding style, every player has their own thread in the free agency forum and you just bid on the player. So everyone knows what's being offered, and if a player isn't offered within 24 hours then he goes to the guy with the highest offer. The problem with that is it tends to force people into overpaying big time.
    The first way while a lot harder on you is the most like the NBA. Kind of weird since you have a team though. So expect to see complaints when you're signing people but I really don't care. Will there be RFAs?

so the Free Agent himself have no control on where he will sign? its always the highest bidder? like an auction?

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBall Reasons View Post
    The first way while a lot harder on you is the most like the NBA. Kind of weird since you have a team though. So expect to see complaints when you're signing people but I really don't care. Will there be RFAs?
    The other league I'm in will have RFA's in our next league, but I don't have any idea how to do it.

so the Free Agent himself have no control on where he will sign? its always the highest bidder? like an auction?
    Exactly.

I much prefer the first way to be honest.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    What if two teams both offer max contracts? Does the original team get their player back?

In the first way, does the game select which contract to accept or you?

you will need a bigger inbox for the first one. I also like it, but the second one is not so bad. maybe we can put it into a vote?

Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post
    What if two teams both offer max contracts? Does the original team get their player back?
    this too, what if none of those 2 teams is the original team? who gets the player?

i think he said its always the highest offer

Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post
    Original team would have bird rights, so yes.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Game.

when is the next sim?

when is the next sim?
    tomorrow.

does anyone know any PER calculator? and do we have enough stats to compute the PER of the players?

does anyone know any PER calculator? and do we have enough stats to compute the PER of the players?
    Calculating PER
    The Player Efficiency Rating (PER) is a per-minute rating developed by ESPN.com columnist John Hollinger. In John's words, "The PER sums up all a player's positive accomplishments, subtracts the negative accomplishments, and returns a per-minute rating of a player's performance." It appears from his books that John's database only goes back to the 1988-89 season. I decided to expand on John's work and calculate PER for all players since minutes played were first recorded (1951-52).

All calculations begin with what I am calling unadjusted PER (uPER). The formula is:

uPER = (1 / MP) *
    [ 3P
    + (2/3) * AST
    + (2 - factor * (team_AST / team_FG)) * FG
    + (FT *0.5 * (1 + (1 - (team_AST / team_FG)) + (2/3) * (team_AST / team_FG)))
    - VOP * TOV
    - VOP * DRB% * (FGA - FG)
    - VOP * 0.44 * (0.44 + (0.56 * DRB%)) * (FTA - FT)
    + VOP * (1 - DRB%) * (TRB - ORB)
    + VOP * DRB% * ORB
    + VOP * STL
    + VOP * DRB% * BLK
    - PF * ((lg_FT / lg_PF) - 0.44 * (lg_FTA / lg_PF) * VOP) ]
    Most of the terms in the formula above should be clear, but let me define the less obvious ones:

factor = (2 / 3) - (0.5 * (lg_AST / lg_FG)) / (2 * (lg_FG / lg_FT))
    VOP = lg_PTS / (lg_FGA - lg_ORB + lg_TOV + 0.44 * lg_FTA)
    DRB% = (lg_TRB - lg_ORB) / lg_TRB
    I am not going to go into details about what each component of the PER is measuring; that's why John writes and sells books.

Problems arise for seasons prior to 1979-80:

•1979-80 — debut of 3-point shot in NBA
    •1977-78 — player turnovers first recorded in NBA
    •1973-74 — player offensive rebounds, steals, and blocked shots first recorded in NBA
    The calcuation of uPER obviously depends on these statistics, so here are my solutions for years when the data are missing:

•Zero out three-point field goals, turnovers, blocked shots, and steals.
    •Set the league value of possession (VOP) equal to 1.
    •Set the defensive rebound percentage (DRB%) equal to 0.7.
    •Set player offensive rebounds (ORB) equal to 0.3 * TRB.
    Some of these solutions may not be elegant, but I think they are reasonable. After uPER is calculated, an adjustment must be made for the team's pace. The pace adjustment is:

pace adjustment = lg_Pace / team_Pace
    League and team pace factors cannot be computed for seasons prior to 1973-74, so I estimate the above using:

estimated pace adjustment = 2 * lg_PPG / (team_PPG + opp_PPG)
    To give you an idea of the accuracy of these estimates, here are the actual pace adjustments and the estimated pace adjustments for teams from the Eastern Conference in 2002-03:

Tm Act Est

ATL 1.00 0.99
    BOS 1.00 1.02
    CHI 0.97 0.98
    CLE 0.97 0.99
    DET 1.05 1.06
    IND 0.99 1.00
    MIA 1.04 1.08
    MIL 1.01 0.96
    NJN 0.99 1.03
    NOH 1.01 1.02
    NYK 1.00 0.98
    ORL 0.98 0.97
    PHI 1.00 0.99
    TOR 1.01 1.01
    WAS 1.03 1.03
    For all seasons where actual pace adjustments can be computed, the root mean square error of the estimates is 0.01967.

Now the pace adjustment is made to uPER (I will call this aPER):

aPER = (pace adjustment) * uPER
    The final step is to standardize aPER. First, calculate league average aPER (lg_aPER) using player minutes played as the weights. Then, do the following:

PER = aPER * (15 / lg_aPER)
    The step above sets the league average to 15 for all seasons.

Those are the gory details. If you have any comments or questions, please send me some feedback.

AKA you need the leagues average player to calculate. And while I have a lot of time on my hands at times and am pretty good at stats and Excel, I'm not diving into this at all considering league stats are not all in one place, they're not exportable in a .csv file, and my team sucks.

fun Fact: Teo Ratliff averages more blocks per game than my TEAM!

Thread Information