Pelicans Report

Page 217 of 982 FirstFirst ... 117 167 207 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 227 267 317 717 ... LastLast
Results 5,401 to 5,425 of 24539

Thread: League Chat Thread

The Mad Titan    Contributor   
    Oh also,

Free agency

5. Restricted free agency for players coming off of their rookie contract. Have the ability to match any salary within rules of the salary cap. Only for first rounders.
    Guys to watch out for (internet tough guys):

jrdbrn

Guys that know you are personally a coward despite never meeting you or holding a real conversation with you (psychic or stalker):

BasketballNate

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    These are the changes I'd personally make after thinking about it

Free Agency:
    1. First FA sim is dedicated to resigning (Maybe 2 if there are truly 10 FA sims) to be done Daily.

2. You can't bid more money than you have cap room. (Due to being able to go out and sign your own guys first you should have an accurate count on you cap up to this point). In your bid pms to CP3 you must post: Total Cap room, Induvidial bids on players, the sum of those year one bids , and what your cap figure looks like after it.

3. If you trade an expiring, you can not bid on said player in the corresponding FA.

4. You must have 4 bird years on a contract (Maybe 3 only this year since we didn't set out own contracts from the snake draft) to be able to bid above salary cap threshold (This is a RL thing and would help ease concerns to GMs like PreP about teams being able to go obnoxiously over the cap. This ALSO makes expiring 4 year bird rights more valuable to trade if you are truly done with said player).

Tanking:

1. 1 Strike Warning

2. After two strikes of posting a bad lineup, the sim will decide what your lineup, focus and pace will be.

3. Countless moves to get rid of best players to make your team terrible and signing the worst Free Agents you can find? Lose your pick and your assets are frozen.

Trades:

1. We need a trade committee for questionable trades, like yesterday.
    I agree w/ #1, but then again I geared up to go after a big SG in FA because of how FA went last year (nobody re-signing). So if a new rule messes up my plans and everybody starts re-signing that would be lame

3 no

Definite no on the trade committee, the Jamison deal wasn't even that bad. Coltsguy is completely out of it and Jamison is expiring
    Last edited by speedyG; 10-21-2012 at 12:44 PM.

Why no on 3 in your opinion? If you're getting rid of a guy, then you're getting rid of him? Just because you may have done it with Van Horn, doesn't mean it was right IMO. Guy gave up Amare and only to see him resign with you? I think actions like that are very poisonous to the league. You're pretty much the reason it was brought to light, so I guess i shouldnt expect you to agree with it in all honesty. Again, not your fault that the rules weren't set up right, but in real life how many guys will resign after being traded? Most guys think hey they traded me once why wouldn't they again and won't resign.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    I dont like the trade committee stuff either, no one should tell one how to run his team. Everyone haves a plan, and look at things differently.

That's fine, just throwing ideas out to make the league more fair.

Why no on 3 in your opinion? If you're getting rid of a guy, then you're getting rid of him? Just because you may have done it with Van Horn, doesn't mean it was right IMO. Guy gave up Amare and only to see him resign with you? I think actions like that are very poisonous to the league. You're pretty much the reason it was brought to light, so I guess i shouldnt expect you to agree with it in all honesty. Again, not your fault that the rules weren't set up right, but in real life how many guys will resign after being traded? Most guys think hey they traded me once why wouldn't they again and won't resign.
    I dont think there's a rule like that in the NBA is there? He knew he was expiring when he traded for him, and if no one can top my offer that's their problem not mine

Right, and that's where we disagree my friend. I don't think you should reap the rewards of a trade AND have him AND be able to trade him again. Someone else being able to sign him in FA, yes you, no. And it's not only you, it could happen anywhere. It's one thing to trade that away and have a chance to lose him, but lose him who he was traded from, seems unfair and to be honest a little unrealistic. I don't remember what the original trade was, but you netted the #2 overall, and then traded him AGAIN for another #1. I personally don't think that's right.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
    The one problem it creates is teams will use their cap space first to sign other FA, then use their Bird years to resign their own players. It eliminates that
    Also irl there's a hold for your own players

36. Can a team with cap room sign all the free agents it wants (up to the salary cap) and THEN re-sign its own free agents using the Bird exception?

A team's ability to do this is very limited. The team's free agents continue to be included in team salary. This charge is called the "free agent amount" (and is also frequently referred to as a "cap hold"). There may not be enough money available under the cap to sign another team's free agent, because the team's own free agents are taking up all their cap room.

38. Why do free agents continue to count against team salary?

It closes a loophole. Teams otherwise would be able to sign other teams' free agents using their cap room, and then turn their attention to their own free agents using the Bird exception. This rule restricts their ability to do that. It uses the player's current status (type of free agent, whether coming off a rookie contract, and previous salary) as a rough guideline to predict the amount the player is likely to receive in his next contract, and sets that amount aside in the form of a cap hold. But while it functions as a rough guideline, it's obviously not perfect -- for example, in 2005 Michael Redd's free agent amount was just $6 million, even though the Bucks intended to re-sign him for the maximum salary. By waiting to sign Redd last, the Bucks were able to take advantage of the difference by signing Bobby Simmons. Had they signed Redd first, they would not have had enough cap room to sign Simmons.

www.cbafaq.com

Right, and that's where we disagree my friend. I don't think you should reap the rewards of a trade AND have him AND be able to trade him again. Someone else being able to sign him in FA, yes you, no. And it's not only you, it could happen anywhere. It's one thing to trade that away and have a chance to lose him, but lose him who he was traded from, seems unfair and to be honest a little unrealistic. I don't remember what the original trade was, but you netted the #2 overall, and then traded him AGAIN for another #1. I personally don't think that's right.
    It's realistic to sign with the highest bidder though. Under a different circumstance it could be realistic too, my team wasn't gonna win this year, but next year I'll be looking to contend and wouldn't mind Keith as a 6th man

So you think it's realistic to trade a player and him resign with you and trade him and him resign with you? Because I don't and it seems like it's exploiting AI IMO. This isn't a teenage girl you're dating and breaking up with...And it's realistic to sign to the highest bidder unless the JUST traded you. You can ighest bidder everyone else except guys you just received assets for, don't see the issue.
    Last edited by BallSoHard; 10-21-2012 at 01:36 PM.

Also irl there's a hold for your own players

36. Can a team with cap room sign all the free agents it wants (up to the salary cap) and THEN re-sign its own free agents using the Bird exception?

A team's ability to do this is very limited. The team's free agents continue to be included in team salary. This charge is called the "free agent amount" (and is also frequently referred to as a "cap hold"). There may not be enough money available under the cap to sign another team's free agent, because the team's own free agents are taking up all their cap room.

38. Why do free agents continue to count against team salary?

It closes a loophole. Teams otherwise would be able to sign other teams' free agents using their cap room, and then turn their attention to their own free agents using the Bird exception. This rule restricts their ability to do that. It uses the player's current status (type of free agent, whether coming off a rookie contract, and previous salary) as a rough guideline to predict the amount the player is likely to receive in his next contract, and sets that amount aside in the form of a cap hold. But while it functions as a rough guideline, it's obviously not perfect -- for example, in 2005 Michael Redd's free agent amount was just $6 million, even though the Bucks intended to re-sign him for the maximum salary. By waiting to sign Redd last, the Bucks were able to take advantage of the difference by signing Bobby Simmons. Had they signed Redd first, they would not have had enough cap room to sign Simmons.

www.cbafaq.com
    Very good catch. Forgot about cap holds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

I like Balls's rule ideas, personally.

Minus the trade committee. I don't think there really is a good way of doing a committee. Too many biased people
    People's Basketball Sim League presents...

1992-93 Season Record: 52-30
    C Kevin Willis | PF Otis Thorpe | SF Robert Horry | SG Dell Curry | PG Johnny Dawkins
    Key Reserves: Robert Parish | Anthony Mason | Walter Davis | Terry Porter

AMC is on Dish Network now.
    HR Sim League Orlando Magic

PG: Luke Ridnour, Delonte West, Greg Minor

SG: Andre Iguodala, Mickael Pietrus

SF: Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Boris Diaw

PF: Charlie Villanueva, Ian Mahinimi, Amir Johnson

C: Eddy Curry, Mamadou Ndiaye, Adam Parada

Geaux Hornets! Contributor PrepP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coltsguy510 View Post
    Are you serious? I knew it was only a matter of time. LOL. Makes my day!

Quote Originally Posted by PrepP View Post
    Yup!! I have Direct, but I thought I'd let you guys know. I think the facebook page said channel 131.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! LoCo89's Avatar
    Just kinda my opinions real quick:

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard
    These are the changes I'd personally make after thinking about it

Free Agency:
    1. First FA sim is dedicated to resigning (Maybe 2 if there are truly 10 FA sims) to be done Daily.

2. You can't bid more money than you have cap room. (Due to being able to go out and sign your own guys first you should have an accurate count on you cap up to this point). In your bid pms to CP3 you must post: Total Cap room, Induvidial bids on players, the sum of those year one bids , and what your cap figure looks like after it.

3. If you trade an expiring, you can not bid on said player in the corresponding FA.

4. You must have 4 bird years on a contract (Maybe 3 only this year since we didn't set out own contracts from the snake draft) to be able to bid above salary cap threshold (This is a RL thing and would help ease concerns to GMs like PreP about teams being able to go obnoxiously over the cap. This ALSO makes expiring 4 year bird rights more valuable to trade if you are truly done with said player).
    1) I like the idea of being able to only resign your own guys with the first sim. My only objection to doing it depends on whether or not when we do official "Resignings" that its an indication of a player wanting to stay. What I mean is say after resignings, we have 100 guys that want FA, if only like 10 guys resign when offered in the first sim, I don't really see the point in wasting a day to resign guys.

2) Maybe I just don't understand this one, but I thought you couldn't bid more than your cap room anyways

3) I've been going back and forth on this one all day. At the moment I think its unrealistic that a guy would resign after getting traded unless he was offered more than his worth. Not sure if this has actually happened in real life, but thats kinda where I stand at the moment.

4) I thought this is how it was anyway honestly

Tanking:

1. 1 Strike Warning

2. After two strikes of posting a bad lineup, the sim will decide what your lineup, focus and pace will be.

3. Countless moves to get rid of best players to make your team terrible and signing the worst Free Agents you can find? Lose your pick and your assets are frozen.
    Honestly I like Commish's new rules anyway, don't really like the idea of an owner essentially not being allowed to play so I kinda disagree with all of this

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard;
    Trades:

1. We need a trade committee for questionable trades, like yesterday.
    Committee on rule changes sure, but not for trades. Every should be allowed to give someone ****, but the idea of blocking something just because we all disagree shouldn't happen. We've had plenty of stupid trades already, it happens

Oh also,

Free agency

5. Restricted free agency for players coming off of their rookie contract. Have the ability to match any salary within rules of the salary cap. Only for first rounders.
    RFA sounds great, but as far as I know, it's not built in, so CP would have to allow it
    HR SIM LEAGUE: MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

Mod over at reddit.com/r/NOLAPelicans

Quote Originally Posted by PrepP View Post
    Yup!! I have Direct, but I thought I'd let you guys know. I think the facebook page said channel 131.
    Honestly, I loved the way the advertising against Dish during the breaks. It was awesome

Quote Originally Posted by LoCo89 View Post
    Just kinda my opinions real quick:

1) I like the idea of being able to only resign your own guys with the first sim. My only objection to doing it depends on whether or not when we do official "Resignings" that its an indication of a player wanting to stay. What I mean is say after resignings, we have 100 guys that want FA, if only like 10 guys resign when offered in the first sim, I don't really see the point in wasting a day to resign guys.

2) Maybe I just don't understand this one, but I thought you couldn't bid more than your cap room anyways

3) I've been going back and forth on this one all day. At the moment I think its unrealistic that a guy would resign after getting traded unless he was offered more than his worth. Not sure if this has actually happened in real life, but thats kinda where I stand at the moment.

4) I thought this is how it was anyway honestly

Honestly I like Commish's new rules anyway, don't really like the idea of an owner essentially not being allowed to play so I kinda disagree with all of this

Committee on rule changes sure, but not for trades. Every should be allowed to give someone ****, but the idea of blocking something just because we all disagree shouldn't happen. We've had plenty of stupid trades already, it happens

RFA sounds great, but as far as I know, it's not built in, so CP would have to allow it
    1. Because you get the leg up and at least a chance to offer another contract. That's not happening now which is the point.

2. If you have 20 millions over the cap space you can bid on whoever and whatever you want. Whoever signs first you get and the other picks null out bc you dont have cap room from my understanding. If you're only allowed to bid on what you have it would make people prioratize in FA.

3. It's not realistic esp the situation with Van Horn, who Ad has said he again will try and resign him for the second time after trading him twice already. Our rules allow this.

4. It's not. If you are resigning a player you can offer whatever you want to keep them. IRL you must have 4 bird years to bid over the soft cap and work into the hard cap.

Concerning Tanking.

If the owner fails to be able to manage his own team within the rules, then it's not fair to the 29 other owners who are playing within the rules. So why should they be allowed to set their lineup?

Concerning trade comittee:

That's fine

Thanks for the constructive criticism!

Have the 15 point 60 day trade stuff really been disabled?

1. Because you get the leg up and at least a chance to offer another contract. That's not happening now which is the point.

2. If you have 20 millions over the cap space you can bid on whoever and whatever you want. Whoever signs first you get and the other picks null out bc you dont have cap room from my understanding. If you're only allowed to bid on what you have it would make people prioratize in FA.

3. It's not realistic esp the situation with Van Horn, who Ad has said he again will try and resign him for the second time after trading him twice already. Our rules allow this.

4. It's not. If you are resigning a player you can offer whatever you want to keep them. IRL you must have 4 bird years to bid over the soft cap and work into the hard cap.

Concerning Tanking.

If the owner fails to be able to manage his own team within the rules, then it's not fair to the 29 other owners who are playing within the rules. So why should they be allowed to set their lineup?

Concerning trade comittee:

That's fine

Thanks for the constructive criticism!
    Alright then revised:

1) I forgot that we could do more FA sims than we were doing, so thats where the idea of "wasting" a day for resignings comes from. I take it back, agree with it.

2) Ok so this would be to prevent people from offering to everyone when in reality they can only sign one or two players. Don't know why that didn't click for me, makes sense.

how long til the next sim?

Quote Originally Posted by bustahyndes View Post
    how long til the next sim?
    sometime tomorrow

we should also restrict the trading of players signed to 1 year deals. the Van Horn situation also applies to this

I say this again, we have a tanking problem because theres not much incentive in winning. We should atleast try to simulate the real NBA. In the NBA, teams that make the playoffs gets a little bit more income(League points in our league) which they can use to improve their team(league shop). Teams wont get money if their players get 15 rebounds a night, a triple double wont get them extra dollars. but making the playoff and winning the championship does.

How about we remove the rewards for individual achievements(except for the year-end awards, and maybe the player of the week/month) and just give league points for team achievements. this way the only way you get points to train your players is by winning more games

HR Sim League - Washington Wizards

Because it makes the rich richer.

Quote Originally Posted by janjanjanjan3 View Post
    we should also restrict the trading of players signed to 1 year deals. the Van Horn situation also applies to this

I say this again, we have a tanking problem because theres not much incentive in winning. We should atleast try to simulate the real NBA. In the NBA, teams that make the playoffs gets a little bit more income(League points in our league) which they can use to improve their team(league shop). Teams wont get money if their players get 15 rebounds a night, a triple double wont get them extra dollars. but making the playoff and winning the championship does.

How about we remove the rewards for individual achievements(except for the year-end awards, and maybe the player of the week/month) and just give league points for team achievements. this way the only way you get points to train your players is by winning more games
    Maybe like, I contain a team to 50 points in a conference playoff game? Lol J/K you guys are coming up with some good stuff but adding some work. I say guys should get more points for breaking records or being on constant streaks. IDK,

Thread Information