Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Aldridge: Robinson vs. Beal

Monty plays with what he has, and does a good job at it.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Monty plays with what he has, and does a good job at it.
    To an extent yes. Remember what happened to the players that didn't fit his offense? Demps shipped them off. Do you think Williams would magically go to an uptempo offense if we drafted 2 players whose strength is run and gun? While Williams allows freedom, his philosophy and offense won't shift that dramatically.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    That's my point about Igudola, before the draft he was considered an inch taller. I think in the end Beal will be listed at 6'4"

And I'll give you the definition, athough I don't think it's universally called that, but I won't give you the fact that they'd be a great combo on the floor togther for long periods; and I think we'd have a complete skill set overlap as well as being dominated by size on Defense.
    Sure, but my whole point is that if Beal is 6'5-6'6, he should be able to play SF in our system. One poster above said that Beal said he grew 2 inches since he went to Florida, which would put him in that range since he was 6'3-6'4 when he started at Florida.

In terms of definition, for this conversation, it only matter what Monty defines it as because he is the one who said we are eyeing a "wing" at the top of the draft. And, as a life time basketball player/gym rat, I have never heard the term "wing" used in any capacity other than as a guy who can play both SG and SF positions. Otherwise, you would just say, "Yeah, that guy is a SG." The term "wing" is supposed to imply versatility.

Finally, as I (and others) have said above, EJ and Beal are polar opposites in terms of style. EJ is a penetrator, whereas Beal is a shooter. They both rebound well, and they both pass well. Perfect compliments. There would be no "skill set overlap," and EJ and Beal are both very good defensively.

Beal isn't playing SF for any length of time. He'll play 1 or 2 most of the time. Although positions are somewhat dead in the NBA, they aren't THAT dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirk View Post
    Beal isn't playing SF for any length of time. He'll play 1 or 2 most of the time. Although positions are somewhat dead in the NBA, they aren't THAT dead.
    Come playoff time you typically face a 6'5 SG and a 6'7+ SF. Beli busted his *** but just couldn't handle Ron Artest last year when Ariza was needed to guard Kobe. So if you have Gordon and Beal as your SG/SF combo then someone is getting their *** handed to them in the playoffs on defense.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    The thought of Beal playing SF is laughable. He is a strict guard, and would fully get abused at the 3. If we drafted Beal, I would assume one of two things would happen:

1.) We play Gordon at 1, Beal at 2. Don't like this because neither really fills the PG position really well, and both are better suited for a 2 guard spot. I think it would be a mess, but it could happen.

2.) We trade Gordon/Beal.

Beal won't play anymore 3 than Marco does, and that is a fact.

The only players he'll have trouble with are the very same players every team in the league has trouble with. He has the strength and weight to hold his own and the IQ to make up for what he lacks. He's also a very good spot up shooter which only adds value to him being in the lineup. While I agree that he won't be a SF full-time, I can see him getting plenty of burn there. I can see him as the SG at the end of games with Gordon playing the Rose role as the primary ball handler.

He's smart enough to come in and learn the 1,2,and 3 position. While he don't be starter, I think he'd make a great 6th man off the bench playing as much as a starter. His role will depend on the match-up and he has the ability to play where ever the team needs him.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    The only players he'll have trouble with are the very same players every team in the league has trouble with. He has the strength and weight to hold his own and the IQ to make up for what he lacks. He's also a very good spot up shooter which only adds value to him being in the lineup. While I agree that he won't be a SF full-time, I can see him getting plenty of burn there. I can see him as the SG at the end of games with Gordon playing the Rose role as the primary ball handler.

He's smart enough to come in and learn the 1,2,and 3 position. While he don't be starter, I think he'd make a great 6th man off the bench playing as much as a starter. His role will depend on the match-up and he has the ability to play where ever the team needs him.
    Some people reject this notion. Some people are more comfortable inside their 6' by 6' box, and that is fine.

I am of the opinion that you put ball players on the court, and Beal is a ball player. If he is the BPA when we're up, he will be the pick, and Monty will find a way to use him. Some people don't like the idea, but they will have to deal with it if it plays out like that.

To an extent yes. Remember what happened to the players that didn't fit his offense? Demps shipped them off. Do you think Williams would magically go to an uptempo offense if we drafted 2 players whose strength is run and gun? While Williams allows freedom, his philosophy and offense won't shift that dramatically.
    I think it was that they couldn't play much more than they didn't "fit his offense." He's a defensive coach. He's looking for players.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    My thing with selecting and trading Beal is, what is that value?

Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP View Post
    My thing with selecting and trading Beal is, what is that value?
    If we get lucky and land in front of the Wizards (who should theoretically covet him), we could flip Beal for their pick in this draft and a future 1st/player/2nd rounders.

Quote Originally Posted by Saints Fan in A View Post
    I think it was that they couldn't play much more than they didn't "fit his offense." He's a defensive coach. He's looking for players.
    It was a bit of both. They tried to keep Thornton but his offense never materialized in William's style of offense nor was it the type of shots Williams like his players to take.

Quote Originally Posted by Coughka View Post
    If we get lucky and land in front of the Wizards (who should theoretically covet him), we could flip Beal for their pick in this draft and a future 1st/player/2nd rounders.
    This is another scenario. Same thing with Portland and Cleveland. There could be a bidding war because all 3 franchises want him.

Until the draft order is announced, and the player workouts determines who's draft stock will rise and fall, all we can do is speculate. Though I still have faith in my boy T-Rob putting in that necessary work to improve his game and prove all the doubters and couch gm's wrong

It was a bit of both. They tried to keep Thornton but his offense never materialized in William's style of offense nor was it the type of shots Williams like his players to take.
    I thought it was more because of his inability or unwillingness to play defense or focus on anything other than scoring.

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Saints Fan in A View Post
    I thought it was more because of his inability or unwillingness to play defense or focus on anything other than scoring.
    Probably so, but I would imagine that Monty couldn't stand his sometimes boneheaded shot selection either.

Thread Information