Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Aldridge: Robinson vs. Beal

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Not if he could play SF for us. He is strong enough, and he has the length to do it. He was one of the best rebounding SGs in the NCAA last year, even as a freshman, averaging nearly 7 rebounds per game. He has a great basketball I.Q., and he would make a great pairing with EJ. He would really stretch the floor for us, and the spacing that he could provide would be invaluable.
    He couldn't guard the taller SFs like Lebron or Durant or even the Granger types. Just too small. He's probably 6'4 right now, maybe closer to 6'5 than 6'3.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

If he measures out at 6'5, then I can see him as a SF. He has the wingspan to play there. He himself said that he grew 2 inches since he got to Florida. So we'll see when the measurements come out.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    If he grew two inches he'd be 6'6 or 6'6.5, and I doubt that.

Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP View Post
    Beal is a SG, not a SF. His strength and length is far below average for a SF.
    He may not be a full-time SF, and he may not fit the traditional mold, but he can definitely give this team 20-25 good minutes at the position. During the time that EJ is either off the floor or running the point, he could play SG (10-15 minutes). That gives us around 35-40 minutes of play for him.

I'm just saying that if Monty and Demps fall in love with him, there are ways to work him into the rotation in conjunction with EJ. We won't pass on him if he is a guy that we love.

You aren't working him into the rotation, you are forcing him into it. That's a no no.

He was actually 6'3 coming to Florida.

Wow that T.Rob article is a complete turn off..

Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    He was actually 6'3 coming to Florida.
    He measured 6'4 or 6'4.5 at the Nike Hoop Summit.

If he measures out at 6'5, then I can see him as a SF. He has the wingspan to play there. He himself said that he grew 2 inches since he got to Florida. So we'll see when the measurements come out.
    He is only 18, so he very well could grow another couple of inches. Either way, when I look at him on the floor, he looks big enough that he could give us minutes at SF.

On the perimeter, wingspan is much more important than height, and he has a great wingspan. Also, like I said above, he plays much bigger than he is, and he averaged nearly 7 rebounds last year as a freshman SG.

If this happens (and it may have already happened), I think there is no question that he would play SF for us.

He measured 6'4 or 6'4.5 at the Nike Hoop Summit.
    His team listed him as 6'3. I'd take that over any unofficial measurement.

He is only 18, so he very well could grow another couple of inches. Either way, when I look at him on the floor, he looks big enough that he could give us minutes at SF.

On the perimeter, wingspan is much more important than height. Also, like I said above, he plays much bigger than he is, and he averaged nearly 7 rebounds last year as a freshman SG.

If this happens (and it may have already happened), I think there is no question that he would play SF for us.
    If he really was close to 6'7, like I said I'd doubt that, then I'd be onboard.

His team listed him as 6'3. I'd take that over any unofficial measurement.
    It's the official Team USA measurements, not unofficial.

With our pick, I'm only comfortable drafting Davis, Drummond, or Beal, and with the Minny pick, Sullinger, Lillard, and possibly Barnes or PJIII.

Robinson will be over-drafted; "high-energy" guys should not be top-5 picks, especially when they're undersized, and ESPECIALLY when they lack an advanced offensive game or defensive skill beyond rebounding. I would only be comfortable with Robinson if he had Drummond-like potential, which he does not.

If we get the third pick and Drummond and Davis are gone, I want Beal. He could turn out to be the second best player from this draft. If you're one of the worst teams in basketball in terms of talent (especially offensive talent), you get the best guy available regardless of your current roster. Beal could play a James Harden role, and occassionally get run alonside Gordon in certain situations, and put up 30+min. a night. Hell, top 3 pick Harden only played 31 mpg off the bench this year and still demonstrated enormous value.

I'd puke if we drafted Jones III with a lottery pick.

It's the official Team USA measurements, not unofficial.
    Do you not get that Florida listed him as 6'3?

I'd puke if we drafted Jones III with a lottery pick.
    Me too. I don't think he will be that good if good at all.

Those don't mean much. Guys lie about their height quite often and the team listed heights are not reliable at all.

to exaggerate yes. But I've never seen any team undersell a player's height.

Nobody ever said that size on the wing wins championships. Size in the post is important, but skill, shooting, and defense on the wing is much more important than size. EJ and Beal are both skilled shooters who can handle the ball and defend.
    Size on the wing is important to a degree. 2 6'3" along with a 6' point stinks of being abused.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

If he really was close to 6'7, like I said I'd doubt that, then I'd be onboard.
    I wouldn't say he is there, but if he is a solid 6'5, then I'd be okay with him playing SF. His wingspan is around 6'8, and that allows him to guard taller players.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    He couldn't guard the taller SFs like Lebron or Durant or even the Granger types. Just too small. He's probably 6'4 right now, maybe closer to 6'5 than 6'3.
    Sure, he may have a little trouble guarding taller SFs, but like I said above, his wingspan allows him to compete. Also, he is much quicker than them, which is a huge advantage.

Also, and this isn't directed solely at you, but people forget that there are 2 sides to every coin. Beal has such an advantage in terms of quickness that he could drive right around bigger SFs. How are bigger guys going to keep up with him? And if they try to play off of him, he'll just drain the 3. He would be a very tough cover for opposing SFs.

***Just a disclaimer, but this conversation is mostly fueled by the fact that Monty said they were eyeing a "wing" at the top of the draft, and the only "wing" at the top of the draft is Beal. Just saying....

to exaggerate yes. But I've never seen any team undersell a player's height.
    Kevin Garnett his entire career.

Yeah, and Kansas lists Robinson at 6'10. Those heights are never accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Size on the wing is important to a degree. 2 6'3" along with a 6' point stinks of being abused.
    Beal is 6'5. Our 2 PGs that we currently have on the roster are 6'3 and 6'6, so I don't know where you are getting these numbers from.

Also, length is more important on the wing than size. Gordon has a 6'7 wingspan, and Beal has a 6'8 wingspan. Definitely long enough.
    Last edited by nolaslim213; 05-14-2012 at 01:57 PM.

When was the last time Florida exaggerated about their player's height?

Kevin Garnett his entire career.
    Garnett was 6'11 coming into the league just like Beal was 6'3 coming to Florida.

I'm With A-GO Contributor jeeves's Avatar
    6'3 Small Forwards for life

Thread Information