Pelicans Report

Thread: Should we go for Batum

The Franchise

Should we go for Batum

Batum Will Sign First Lucrative Offer Sheet
    May 15 at 10:49am CST By Luke Adams

The Trail Blazers will have a good deal of cap space at their disposal this summer, and were hoping to spend most of it on free agents before shifting their focus to restricted free agent Nicolas Batum. However, according to agent Bouna Ndiaye, Batum won't necessarily hold off on deals to accommodate the Blazers.

"The first good offer we get, we're going with that," Batum's agent told Chris Haynes of CSNNW.com. "We're not waiting for anything."

Depending on which options are exercised and which free agents are renounced, the Blazers could have up to about $20MM in cap space this summer. Because the team holds Batum's Bird rights, Portland would be able to sign free agents using that space, then go over the cap to re-sign Batum. If Batum signs an offer sheet with another team though, the Blazers will only have three days to match the offer.

Batum's cap hold when the offseason begins will be about $5.39MM, 250% of his prior salary, but he's expected to receive offers with an annual salary that exceeds that amount. If a club were to sign Batum to an offer sheet worth $10MM annually, the forward's free agent amount would rise from $5.39MM to $10MM, limiting the Blazers' cap flexibility.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    No.

Depends on how we draft.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

If we can get him for $8 mil/year, yes. If not, then no.

I think the Blazer will go as far as 9-10 million to match a team's offer. If he's going to cost 10 million or more, I would not even consider him.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Totally read the title as "Should we go after Batman."

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Totally read the title as "Should we go after Batman."
    The obvious answer to that is yes.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    We can't get him for virtually any price. Portland will match.

This.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

This again! Maybe 9!

Quote Originally Posted by Smirk View Post
    We can't get him for virtually any price. Portland will match.
    Probably, but it is worth a shot. He is a great scheme fit.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Batum is overrated due to the lack of quality SF's in the FA class. He does fit with us, but I wouldn't offer him more than 7.5 mil. which I know Portland would match. So should we? Yes. But will it matter? Nah.

The Franchise
    Batum's cap hold when the offseason begins will be about $5.39MM, 250% of his prior salary, but he's expected to receive offers with an annual salary that exceeds that amount. If a club were to sign Batum to an offer sheet worth $10MM annually, the forward's free agent amount would rise from $5.39MM to $10MM, limiting the Blazers' cap flexibility.

They may not be able. They only have 3 days to match.

Probably, but it is worth a shot. He is a great scheme fit.
    Not really. Once you sign an RFA there is a period of time giving the other team time to match. You are effectively held hostage during that time for the amount of money you offered. I know the time period is less under the new CBA, but its still there.

It would be incredibly pointless. Focus assets elsewhere.

He's a great compliment to Gordon and he's still 23 only. Unfortunately, he's probably gonna cost about 10 million a season. That's just how the NBA market is.

The question is the draft. If we go PF/C. Then we can try. If get MKG or Barnes, then I wouldn't bother.

I'm leaning with Slim and say maybe 4 years 32 million at the most. Portland will match that for sure within the 3 days so it will take more.

He will be a big upgrade at SF with his offense and hopefully his defense could improve under Monty, but that's no guarantee. Even with his subpar defense, his offense has been good enough to make him a 7 win share player mostly due to his shooting and athleticism.

The team needs an upgrade at SF. Ariza won't cut it and Aminu is still a project. MKG or Barnes wouldn't be that much of an upgrade next season, but both have good long-term potential. I like MKG better, but Barnes should be a very good complimentary player in the future.

However Batum would provide that right away assuming the team doesn't draft a SF. He's only 23 as well. He's not a star player and won't ever be, but he should be a great compliment to the team for years to come.

It would take 4 years 40 million at the minimum to have him come here. My gut says no so I'm gonna pass for now and focus on resigning Gordon and offering Dragic 4 years 30 million instead and finding a cheaper SF who can shoot. (Also look to moving Ariza by trade or amnesty).

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Batum is looking for a big deal so I highly doubt he'll sign an 4year/32mil offer from another team.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    Batum is looking for a big deal so I highly doubt he'll sign an 4year/32mil offer from another team.
    I agree. It will take at least 4 years 40 million.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    I say no. We are not a piece away. We are not two pieces away. I don't wanna rebuild they way the CP team rebuilded. We need to go BPA in the draft, re-sign Gordon, shuffle the deck with our young projects if a nice low level deal presents itself, round out the roster with guys who fit what we are trying to do and see what we have going into the trade deadline. If we can unload Jack, Ariza, or Okafor and shed money, I'd be down with that, too. Anything else is a quick fix. We need to take our time.

This is from truth and rumors which is like 70% wrong but interesting nonetheless. Could have huge implications on them matching if a team comes out of the gate on day one and offers him 8-10 mill.

08:09 AM ET 05.16 | Nicolas Batum won't be doing Portland any favors. According to the agent for [Batum], they will not be holding off on deals to allow the Trail Blazers to sign a couple of free agents before the team tends to his client, who's a restricted free agent. "The first good offer we get, we're going with that," Bouna Ndiaye of Comsport Management told CSNNW.com. "We're not waiting for anything." The Trail Blazers had hoped they would be able to spend their $15-20 million in cap space to sign at least two key free agents first. Being that the Trail Blazers own Batum's Bird rights, they could go over the cap to sign him. The Trail Blazers had hoped they would be able to spend their $15-20 million in cap space to sign at least two key free agents first.

I think it also says he's not very happy in Portland.

Imagine if we could find a way to land Batum and Dragic?

Okafor/ Smith
    Davis or Robinson/ Ayon
    Batum/Aminu/Henry
    Gordon/Belinelli
    Dragic/Jack/Vasquez

That'd be quite a squad.

perhaps Monty's connection with Portland could lead to a sign-and-trade for Batum. Maybe they'd want Ariza and a future pick back and they'll agree not to match the $9.5 million over four year offer we give him.

Thread Information