Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Thread: The rebrand and name change thread part 3

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    I thought those Nets jerseys were the real things, I would have laughed hysterically.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    You'd think Jay-Z would know something about basketball jerseys and being stylish.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdub81 View Post
    Haven't been posting because I'm on vacation in Orlando. Just got back from Medieval Times and it was nicer than I though it would be. Before I left home to come to Florida, I was able to finish my first logo treatment for the Knights. I still don't see any connection with that name in the sense that Benson, or most of us want's it to have to the city, but design wise, I can see the potential in that name for any teams possibilities.

I talked to the guy who was the knight for our section, ironically, the black and gold section, Navarra. I told him that I was from New Orleans and that I plannend on using this dinner/show as a means to get some up close and personal inspiration for my concept. His reply was "That's nice. But what are Knight's connection to your city? I thought you guy's were all about France."

I told him that other than sounding cool, nothing really! I told him about some of the other names being discussed and he said that he liked Krewe, said it was unique (once I explained it's meaning), and his reply to Pelicans...."Bloody awful!" "Wicked, bloody awful!"....yeah, he's British. "The name" I asked? "No, no those buggers are wicked little creatures!"

At this point I'm laughing! Dudes expressions were so funny much less than me already feeling like I'm in a scene from Harry Potter. He proceeds to tell me about an instance back home when a pelican attacked him and a friend on a boardwalk. He said that it perched itsself on his bike and wouldn't move even though they threw food at it. It snapped at him and just flew up around them slapping them with it's wings!

When he finished, he asked why was that particular name an option and I told him that it was our state bird. He said that he really didn't follow basketball, that be was a soccer guy, but that it should be a teams name, especially if an owner (told him about Benson's comments), wanted it to be more about the people. I told him that most people tend to think that a pelican is a weak animal. He said "They wouldn't feel that way if it sat on their bike!"

I couldn't do anything but laugh again. I shook his hand, he signed my daughters flag, and before we left, he showed me a suit of armour in the hall that he said could be a nice design since it had fdl's on it and those were a part of our city. All around nice guy with a great story and input outside of our city. And on a side note, the king was clad in black and metallic gold, and there was a royal blue knight with solid metallic gold trim and all fdl's.
    If you ever go back there, tell the knight that his man card has been officially revoked. It's a bird, not a gorilla. I've been to Florida numerous times, been close to groups of pelicans, and even had them scatter as I was walking along and got too close. I could see a very small child being afraid (a hungry derpbird might indeed try to be aggressive with something smaller than it) but never a full grown man.
    Old fan. Tired fan. I want to believe.

Still the answer right here

I'm from Charlotte so view is tainted because I want the Hornets name back.

But, for the non-New Orleans people that want to keep the name the same. It's admirable that you feel that way but, the people in New Orleans opinion has to take precedence. A team has to have a local fan base that will buy tickets and support the team or it can't survive. It's great that you spend money on Hornets merchandise from afar but, that doenst help the hornets financially very much because all merchandise money is split evenly. The Hornets get the same money if u buy a Lakers, Heat or Hornets hat. The local fan base has to buy in and carry a team financially.

I'm not throwing stones at the current lack of attendance because Charlotte has the same issue. We have a team that has never 100% taken root in the community and for that to happen, the team has to feel like yours. The Bobcats don't belong in Charlotte, no more than the Hornets belong in New Orleans or the Jazz belong in Utah. While the Jazz name is out of the teams control, the ability to rebrand and connect to the community is right there for the taking and Tom Benson has created tons of publicity already.

Check out our struggle in Charlotte for getting our name back at

Www.DearMichaelJordan.com

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    If it were up to me, you all could have the name back tomorrow, Jgib.

Quote Originally Posted by Jgib23 View Post
    I'm not throwing stones at the current lack of attendance because Charlotte has the same issue. We have a team that has never 100% taken root in the community and for that to happen, the team has to feel like yours. The Bobcats don't belong in Charlotte, no more than the Hornets belong in New Orleans or the Jazz belong in Utah. While the Jazz name is out of the teams control, the ability to rebrand and connect to the community is right there for the taking and Tom Benson has created tons of publicity already.

Www.DearMichaelJordan.com
    You do have the same problem as New Orleans, but it isn't the one you think. All this talk of "owning" and "embracing" is really a cover for "the team sucks, give us a winner". The Bobcats would have been embraced had they been winners, the same with the Hornets here. If you do get the Hornets name back, it won't matter if the on-court output is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornetnojersey View Post
    I agree, and though I've accepted the rebrand, I'll keep buying and sporting New Orleans Hornets gear. This team will always be the Hornets to me.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Sooo you're just gonna wear Hornets gear even though the name is different?
    Wherehappens.

Hornets Hysteria- you confuse me.

You say winning is all that matters for a team to be accepted (meaning the name is nothing but superficial nonsense- winning is what matters)

Then you say that you will keep buying Hornets gear and the team will always be the Hornets to you... (this sounds like the post of someone that very much loves the "brand" and through all the losses the Hornets are what's in your heart)

As far as your statement about getting the Hornets name back not making a difference if the product was the same. I can 100% disagree with that statement because.
    A. I'm not being Charlotte Bobcats season tickets next season.
    B. I would buy Charlotte Hornets season tickets next season.

for me- the Charlotte Bobcats are a placeholder until my real team comes home. I've never loved a team more than I loved the Charlotte Hornets.

Not trying to turn this into a Charlotte rebrand thread, just trying to give some perspective that the name means something.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    Sooo you're just gonna wear Hornets gear even though the name is different?
    Depending on the new name, I'll likely wear both. However, I got a well-made NOH winter jacket a few years ago and it might last a lifetime. I certainly won't stop wearing items like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jgib23 View Post
    Hornets Hysteria- you confuse me.

You say winning is all that matters for a team to be accepted (meaning the name is nothing but superficial nonsense- winning is what matters)

In sports, the product makes the brand. There are numerous examples of teams with non-connective names that have put their stamp on their area, just like the Thunder (an aloof, weird name for a team) are doing right now. If they were the OKC Sonics, it would be no different.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet Hysteria View Post
    You do have the same problem as New Orleans, but it isn't the one you think. All this talk of "owning" and "embracing" is really a cover for "the team sucks, give us a winner". The Bobcats would have been embraced had they been winners, the same with the Hornets here. If you do get the Hornets name back, it won't matter if the on-court output is the same.
    That's just not true at all.

Prior to this season, the Hornets had made the playoffs 3 of the past 4 seasons. It's dishonest to act like the Hornets have been terrible as they were this season for a long time now. Just like it is also dishonest to pretend that the city's discomfort with the Hornets brand is ONLY about not having a winning product. I know I'm not alone when I say that I've ALWAYS wanted a rebrand, from the very beginning. Since then the team has gone from playoffs to lottery to playoffs to lottery, and through it all I always wanted the ditch the Hornets.

Shinn moved to New Orleans with an eye on the back door. That much was brutally obvious. His flirtation with OKC during the Katrina exile certainly didn't help. I know many people who, despite a decade of having them, are still skittish about rooting for the Hornets. There's always been a "oh, the Hornets are leaving soon anyway," mentality surrounding the team.

Brands do matter. Are they magic pills, that can change the fortunes of a franchise? Of course not. But the NBA, the team, and Benson have a unique opportunity right now. With a new lease and a local owner the team has already begun a "I'm In For Good" campaign -- and a rebrand to a "local" name would do wonders.
    Last edited by DRob8785; 05-29-2012 at 11:05 AM.

Didn't mean it like that, but you set a much better example than do I.

Now is the time get all ideas out, then we fall in line.

I'll ask the same question of you guys that I ask of fans in Charlotte that claim winning is all you need to do to gain brand acceptance (there seems to be 2 groups of people)

A. Just win the name is superficial
    B. The name is important ( doesn't mean that winning isn't)

If Group A doesnt care about the name and Group B does, what's the harm in changing it?

In the above scenario, you please the group of fans that care. The other group shouldn't care because all they want is wins. Changing the name doesn't effect the ability to win.

Quote Originally Posted by DpSthTgr View Post

@DatPurpleHornet

Whhhaaa!!!

Whhaaaa!!!

Some people are only going to complain no matter what the brand is or changes to. I hope that we do not continue to allow this tired, jaded dogma to continue to pollute the coversation. With delete-without-a-trace buttons, this is pretty easy for those who want to squash the message of support for the team . . . we are meant to support `them' and not the team.

Don't fall in with that.

Throw out your good ideas, the support the team regardless.

I expect this to be deleted if it challenges intellectual weaklings and cowards. I expect it to stay if the regime can take a slightest dissention.

Quote Originally Posted by DpSthTgr View Post
    I really like the "Legion" as a nickname...very easily can be marketed
    Here are 3 of my takes of what we could do

Attachment 3831

Attachment 3832

Attachment 3833

also....both logos are exact copies of other team logos. Only duplicate logo I'd take is the VooDoo, if nothing else, I want something originally done.

NFL Europe

and

(found these on the logo thread on td.com)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ads_old_logo.gif 
Views:	99 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	3860  

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornetnojersey View Post
    nah that's not the answer

I need a break from the rebrand stuff.

That said,

Arcangels.......................................ep ic..........................

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gen - Copy.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	3864

I like The Generals (even though its the team that the Globetrotters beat up on) here's ol general andrew jackson dunking from atop his trusty steed

I don't have a problem with just about any of the names presented, but they better not have red in the color scheme.

Jgib23 I think branding all depends on the market. No two markets can be seen as the same. I tend to think where a team is located has as much to do with it's success as any branding that team has. Golden State Warriors fans are among the most loyal fans in the NBA. I tend to think with them it would not matter how the team was branded. Despite being one of the most poorly run teams in sports.

How a team is embraced depends on where they play as much as their branding.

With that said in Charlotte I feel the people still feel that Hornets still belongs to them. Not only the name but the original colors, uniforms and logo. I tend to agree. Only because the name has a more prominent History to them than it does to New Orleans.

New Orleans needs to embrace a re-brand. It is better for them in that they are carrying a name that was never theirs to begin with. It would be better I feel to re-brand in regards to NOLA. I always hate when a team leaves a city and keeps the original brand. Especially when it makes no sense ie.. Jazz and Lakers. I think if a team has a name that was picked because it represented an area than that name should remain with the said area and a new name should be given to a team that is moving. Unfortunately it often does not work that way.

If the the original Cleveland Browns can move to Baltimore and become the Ravens and Cleveland could get an expansion team and be given the name Browns again I see no reason it should not be that way with all teams with a fairly long history in a city and/or state.

Draft Pick
    After the events of tonight I offer that we be called the New Orleans Lucky Dogs.

The New Orleans Unibrows!

Thread Information