Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Thread: The rebrand and name change thread part 3

Hall of Famer
    Forever young.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    All quiet lately... I wish this would kick up again. bigdub start posting!
    Wherehappens.

There's activity... in other threads...

Makes me wonder why that is...

Last time I posted I got very little response, probably because my idea was dumb, but this one is a little better. The new name of the team could be the Legionnaires, now it is the name of a type of pneumonia, however, the basis of the name is meaningful, it has both French and Spanish usage, similar to the dual rule of Louisiana, the French legionnaires began under a king Louis, it also began under the house of Orleans, and the colors of their coat of arms was blue, red, and gold. If we change the blue to navy blue, and keep the red and gold we can have a unique color scheme, couple that with mardi gras alternates and some sorta black alternate uniform and we could have a nice look. The logo could include a fleur de lis with a crown at it's tip and maybe some kinda sword somewhere, idk, I'm not an artist. However, I think the idea is pretty solid, comment on it if u like, I have thick skin, I can take criticism. Also the French legionnaires were mostly comprised of soldiers from foreign lands, much like a sports team is comprised of players from different places, collected under one name

Quote Originally Posted by Soundless1 View Post
    Last time I posted I got very little response, probably because my idea was dumb, but this one is a little better. The new name of the team could be the Legionnaires, now it is the name of a type of pneumonia, however, the basis of the name is meaningful, it has both French and Spanish usage, similar to the dual rule of Louisiana, the French legionnaires began under a king Louis, it also began under the house of Orleans, and the colors of their coat of arms was blue, red, and gold. If we change the blue to navy blue, and keep the red and gold we can have a unique color scheme, couple that with mardi gras alternates and some sorta black alternate uniform and we could have a nice look. The logo could include a fleur de lis with a crown at it's tip and maybe some kinda sword somewhere, idk, I'm not an artist. However, I think the idea is pretty solid, comment on it if u like, I have thick skin, I can take criticism. Also the French legionnaires were mostly comprised of soldiers from foreign lands, much like a sports team is comprised of players from different places, collected under one name
    Don't mind the idea behind it, but the name just doesn't necessarily roll off the tongue. I'd need to see the brand before I really got into it.

Yeah, good idea, bad name. Way too long and no one would spell it correctly.

Maybe New Orleans Legion? That's kinda awesome.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    We are Legion, for we are many.

Most of the Legion logos are pretty dark, though. Could do something with wings and a sword, though.

Yeah, it is kinda hard to spell, but legionnaires could be full name, and legion short name, much like the supersonics/sonics, of knickerbockers/knicks. also, the arena could use the nickname, legion of doom, which was located in the swamp by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    We are Legion, for we are many.
    Yes!!!

I really like the "Legion" as a nickname...very easily can be marketed
    Here are 3 of my takes of what we could do

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NOLA LEGION RED.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	3831

Name:	nola legion.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	3832

Name:	nola legionnaires.jpg 
Views:	910 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	3833

Quote Originally Posted by DpSthTgr View Post
    I really like the "Legion" as a nickname...very easily can be marketed
    Here are 3 of my takes of what we could do

Name:	NOLA LEGION RED.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	3831

Name:	nola legion.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	3832

Name:	nola legionnaires.jpg 
Views:	910 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	3833
    Da first one!

The Legionnaires -- catch the disease!!!

I do like the logos though.

It could work. It's like Knights but it has a different ring to it.

Legion isn't bad. Its a start, but not the finished product.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Ok, jerseys look better than the logo I'll give them that.

We can completely beat those ridiculous knock off Spurs unis.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Those jerseys look great IMO.

I like the logo better than the jerseys.

The Artist    Contributor   
    Haven't been posting because I'm on vacation in Orlando. Just got back from Medieval Times and it was nicer than I though it would be. Before I left home to come to Florida, I was able to finish my first logo treatment for the Knights. I still don't see any connection with that name in the sense that Benson, or most of us want's it to have to the city, but design wise, I can see the potential in that name for any teams possibilities.

I talked to the guy who was the knight for our section, ironically, the black and gold section, Navarra. I told him that I was from New Orleans and that I plannend on using this dinner/show as a means to get some up close and personal inspiration for my concept. His reply was "That's nice. But what are Knight's connection to your city? I thought you guy's were all about France."

I told him that other than sounding cool, nothing really! I told him about some of the other names being discussed and he said that he liked Krewe, said it was unique (once I explained it's meaning), and his reply to Pelicans...."Bloody awful!" "Wicked, bloody awful!"....yeah, he's British. "The name" I asked? "No, no those buggers are wicked little creatures!"

At this point I'm laughing! Dudes expressions were so funny much less than me already feeling like I'm in a scene from Harry Potter. He proceeds to tell me about an instance back home when a pelican attacked him and a friend on a boardwalk. He said that it perched itsself on his bike and wouldn't move even though they threw food at it. It snapped at him and just flew up around them slapping them with it's wings!

When he finished, he asked why was that particular name an option and I told him that it was our state bird. He said that he really didn't follow basketball, that be was a soccer guy, but that it should be a teams name, especially if an owner (told him about Benson's comments), wanted it to be more about the people. I told him that most people tend to think that a pelican is a weak animal. He said "They wouldn't feel that way if it sat on their bike!"

I couldn't do anything but laugh again. I shook his hand, he signed my daughters flag, and before we left, he showed me a suit of armour in the hall that he said could be a nice design since it had fdl's on it and those were a part of our city. All around nice guy with a great story and input outside of our city. And on a side note, the king was clad in black and metallic gold, and there was a royal blue knight with solid metallic gold trim and all fdl's.

I literally can't think of any better response.

Pelicans just don't care, man.

Official Re-Brand Rankings
    1) Neonights (never forget, if only for the laughs)
    2) Pelicans
    3) Crescents
    4) Knights
    last) Spirit and anything Mardi Gras themed that would give us ugly purple green and gold jerseys.
    Last edited by BeeBall Reasons; 05-31-2012 at 01:02 AM.

BigDub, you didn't mention Dukes?

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Haha nice story Dub. Pelicans are scary as heck, but most people arn't aware. Heck, I wasn't even really aware until it became an option for the team name.

The Artist    Contributor   
    Quote Originally Posted by Panic Hoops View Post
    BigDub, you didn't mention Dukes?
    I ran through the list. It was mentioned.

Thread Information