Carnival is one of the worst names out there

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	254_max.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	3975

GO PELICANS

HERE'S PIERRE!!

Was reading the paper today (while I can), and saw an article about the retirement of a local institution...and thought the New Orleans Nobles sounds pretty good. Thoughts?

I actually kind of like that.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    There's really no direct ties of Royals to New Orleans.

If we aren't choosing a name that's original and exclusive to the city what's the point. IMO that rules Royals out.
    Actually, Royals is a very fitting name for a New Orleans franchise. Louisiana and New Orleans, from it's founding to the Louisiana Purchase, were under the control by France, Spain, then again France. King Louis XIV (for which Louisiana is named), Regent Duc Phillipe of Orleans, King Louis XV of France, then by King Charles III and King Charles IV of Spain all ruled over Louisiana and New Orleans until the Louisiana Purchase. New Orleans, of course, is named after the Royal Duke of Orleans. The Fleur de lis, obviously the symbol of New Orleans and Louisiana, appears on the Royal Coat of Arms of both France and Spain.

More modernly speaking, Mardi Gras is centered around the concept of "Royalty." King Rex, the King of Carnival. The King and Queen of Zulu, the Queen of Muses, etc. Every Krewe has a Royal Court, made up of Maids and Dukes. The Colors of Mardi Gras, Purple (Justice), Green (Faith) and Gold (Power) not only carry Regal significance, they were also chosen as the official colors by the Grand Duke Alexis Alexandrovitch Romanoff of Russia on a visit to Carnival in 1872. The formal end of Mardi Gras arrives with "the Meeting of the Courts", a the ceremony at which Rex and His Royal Consort, the King and Queen of Carnival, meet with Comus and his Queen at the ball of the Mistick Krewe of Comus. We can't forget about the King Cake and it's significance to Mardi Gras and New Orleans as well.

So as you can see, the name "Royals" has a much deeper and more diversified significance to New Orleans than even the good nicknames such as Blues, Crescents, Pelicans and especially more than the WNBA gimmicks such as Krewe, Voodoo, and Bounce.

If there was a way to pry it from Sacremento, I would love to have that name. It's a name with signifiance and class. A big time free agent could say, "I want to be a Royal." Sounds better than "I want to be a Bounce, a Voodoo, or a Krewe." Screams WNBA.

Also, there ain't nothin Royal about Kansas City, Sacremento, or Anaheim. Just sayin.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidA View Post
    Sounds better than "I want to be a Bounce, a Voodoo, or a Krewe." Screams WNBA.
    In your opinion. Which, quite frankly, is terrible.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster View Post
    In your opinion. Which, quite frankly, is terrible.
    The feeling is mutual. Maybe we should go with Fever, Bounce, Liberty, Sun, Krewe, Sky, Dream, Lynx, Voodoo, Storm, or Shock? Hurry, pick out the WNBA names and the candiates for the New Orleans Hornets rebrand! Probably had to read over it a few times lol

A big time free agent could say, "I want to be a Royal." Sounds better than "I want to be a Bounce, a Voodoo, or a Krewe." Screams WNBA.
    Do you really think any free agent has ever based his decision on signing with a team because of the name?

Quote Originally Posted by DRob8785 View Post
    Do you really think any free agent has ever based his decision on signing with a team because of the name?

I never said a name would decide what free agents we could get. I'm just saying it sounds dumb. Say it to yourself.

"I'm excited to be a New Orleans Bounce." huh???

"Tonight on ESPN, Derrick Rose and the Chicago Bulls Take on Anthony Davis and the New Orleans Voodoo!"

"Sullinger is killing the Krewe tonight not being able to hedge on that pick and roll!"

Actually, Royals is a very fitting name for a New Orleans franchise. Louisiana and New Orleans, from it's founding to the Louisiana Purchase, were under the control by France, Spain, then again France. King Louis XIV (for which Louisiana is named), Regent Duc Phillipe of Orleans, King Louis XV of France, then by King Charles III and King Charles IV of Spain all ruled over Louisiana and New Orleans until the Louisiana Purchase. New Orleans, of course, is named after the Royal Duke of Orleans. The Fleur de lis, obviously the symbol of New Orleans and Louisiana, appears on the Royal Coat of Arms of both France and Spain.

More modernly speaking, Mardi Gras is centered around the concept of "Royalty." King Rex, the King of Carnival. The King and Queen of Zulu, the Queen of Muses, etc. Every Krewe has a Royal Court, made up of Maids and Dukes. The Colors of Mardi Gras, Purple (Justice), Green (Faith) and Gold (Power) not only carry Regal significance, they were also chosen as the official colors by the Grand Duke Alexis Alexandrovitch Romanoff of Russia on a visit to Carnival in 1872. The formal end of Mardi Gras arrives with "the Meeting of the Courts", a the ceremony at which Rex and His Royal Consort, the King and Queen of Carnival, meet with Comus and his Queen at the ball of the Mistick Krewe of Comus. We can't forget about the King Cake and it's significance to Mardi Gras and New Orleans as well.

So as you can see, the name "Royals" has a much deeper and more diversified significance to New Orleans than even the good nicknames such as Blues, Crescents, Pelicans and especially more than the WNBA gimmicks such as Krewe, Voodoo, and Bounce.

If there was a way to pry it from Sacremento, I would love to have that name. It's a name with signifiance and class. A big time free agent could say, "I want to be a Royal." Sounds better than "I want to be a Bounce, a Voodoo, or a Krewe." Screams WNBA.

Also, there ain't nothin Royal about Kansas City, Sacremento, or Anaheim. Just sayin.
    You constantly seem to forget that the Sacramento Kings own the Royals name.

The Kansas City Royals name was from the American Royal livestock and annual rodeo held in KC since 1899. It's also a tribute to the Kansas City Monarchs of the Negro Leagues. Obviously you rather talk out of your butt instead of just using the facts. It's a constant theme of your posts.

Please Dave and Tom, let us change the name tomorrow. Just so these threads can close. Please.
    I know I could just stop reading or posting, but that's much harder than Dave saying Tom can change the name, and Tom just changing the name.

He could call it the New Orleans Boogies (can't believe I didn't use this before), and I would be happy. Voodoo, Dukes, Krewe, Cheese, Bridges, wtf, just change it. Please for the love of God, make it happen.

If you have to write an essay on how the name fits than it doesn't fit.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    Setting ramsters up there... c'mon man... I know you can do it!
    well, this is awkward....I am too old for you to be setting me up the way I wish you could, so I hope that doesn't mean you are setting me up for a fall...the only other thought that enters my mind right now has to do with volleyball... *sigh* you and your setting...
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Ha! Setting up wordplay... comedy... pure comedy...

BIG DUB you can trust me as well...i mean who the hell am i gonna tell my imaginary friends

Ha! Setting up wordplay... comedy... pure comedy...
    quite honestly, Jason....how are you and I supposed to trump the comedy we have seen with some of the posts recently?

Good point. We are like buzzing of flies to heeeem....

Divine Comedy!

I never said a name would decide what free agents we could get. I'm just saying it sounds dumb. Say it to yourself.

"I'm excited to be a New Orleans Bounce." huh???

"Tonight on ESPN, Derrick Rose and the Chicago Bulls Take on Anthony Davis and the New Orleans Voodoo!"

"Sullinger is killing the Krewe tonight not being able to hedge on that pick and roll!"

i like the sound of that

June 16: New Orleans Guardians
    June 15: Big Easy Big Shots
    June 14: New Orleans Frenchmen
    June 13: New Orleans Marquis
    June 12: Louisiana Boucherie
    June 11: New Orleans Jacksons (Jax)
    June 10: New Orleans Cathedrals
    June 9: New Orleans Bon Temps
    June 8: New Orleans Resilience
    June 7: New Orleans Defenders
    June 6: New Orleans Sportsmen
    June 5: New Orleans Governors
    June 4: New Orleans Trumpters
    June 3: New Orleans Maskers
    June 2: New Orleans Misfits
    June 1: New Orleans Desire

There are a couple I think are good on this list so far, but I think Guardians may have some legs, at least at this hour. It's got an Angel thing, a Spirit (as in a commonly held feeling) thing, a basketball thing, logo potential.

New Orleans Tomato Trucks
    New Orleans Street Vendors
    New Orleans Urchins
    New Orleans Fightin' Seminarians
    New Orleans Medians
    New Orleans Pralines
    New Orleans Sportsmen
    New Orleans Fishermen
    New Orleans Fish
    New Orleans Plantations
    New Orleans Weirdos (play the Charlatans song)

I don't like when people try to come up with deep reasons why they don't like a name. Just say you don't like the name, that it's your opinion, and move on with it. I don't like the name Krewe. I don't have a deep reason why. I just don't. I like Voodoo, Pelicans, Knights, Dukes, and most other names. I don't have a deep reason why. I just do. Coming up with reasons for having an opinion on a name that devolve into ridiculous debates is just...well...ridiculous.

a couple of really good P efforts by Panic, but now for the P that will have all of us feeling so much better after a few beers....the New Orleans Ponchartrains!

Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    I don't like when people try to come up with deep reasons why they don't like a name. Just say you don't like the name, that it's your opinion, and move on with it. I don't like the name Krewe. I don't have a deep reason why. I just don't. I like Voodoo, Pelicans, Knights, Dukes, and most other names. I don't have a deep reason why. I just do. Coming up with reasons for having an opinion on a name that devolve into ridiculous debates is just...well...ridiculous.
    Agreed. I have openly stated that I have an irrational hatred of Dallas. I don't even attempt to explain it.

It's one thing to look at pros and cons, consequences of a choice. It's another to let your taste cloud your reason.

Agreed. I have openly stated that I have an irrational hatred of Dallas. I don't even attempt to explain it.

It's one thing to look at pros and cons, consequences of a choice. It's another to let your taste cloud your reason.
    hey Jason! after reviewing some of the "logic" I am hearing here lately about nicknames, I think I might be on to something.....I am sure that most of us recognize that the vast majority of Hindu's consider the bovine to be extremely, extremely sacred (certainly to the chagrin of WhoDatChristian)....and taking into account that there is a rather common term, in this country, that is usually used in reference to a young male (and depending on context etc., many find very, very offensive in respect to their heritage)....I just don't see any way a person, of any Faith, could even possibly consider naming a professional sports franchise the Cowboys!

Thread Information