Pelicans Report

Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Thread: The rebrand and name change thread part 3

Quote Originally Posted by DavidA View Post
    Knights (even though it sounds good, I still don't know what the hell a Knight has to do with New Orleans :?)
    Knights of Babylon, Knights of Momus, might be a few other krewes with Knights.

If you are going Knights for the alliteration and that's it, please consider the super alternative. DUKES!!

I still like Royals. Classy, could go purple green and gold, and has a lot to do with New Orleans. But nobody seems to be getting on that train for whatever reason.
    Its owned by the Kings franchise.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

I still like Royals. Classy, could go purple green and gold, and has a lot to do with New Orleans. But nobody seems to be getting on that train for whatever reason.
    There's really no direct ties of Royals to New Orleans.

If we aren't choosing a name that's original and exclusive to the city what's the point. IMO that rules Royals out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    Its owned by the Kings franchise.
    Correct.

In fact, back in the early fall when the Kings were looking like they were going to relocate to Anaheim, the team registered four names: Anaheim Royals, Anaheim Royals of Southern California, Orange County Royals and Los Angeles Royals.

While all of our rebrand talk is wild conjecture, I think it is probably pretty safe to say the league wouldn't let us take the Royals.

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/03/16/k....ap/index.html

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    There's really no direct ties of Royals to New Orleans.

If we aren't choosing a name that's original and exclusive to the city what's the point. IMO that rules Royals out.
    There's never going to be a perfect balance. Krewe of New Orleans gets shot down either cuz locals don't like the Mardi Gras ties (for some silly reason the main thing tied to the city people want to distance ourselves from it) or cuz people out of town will have to have why krewe is spelled the way it is.

And having to explain your nickname is a bad thing. Like people know exactly what a Knickerbocker or Celtic is.

Pilots is better than Navigators. That is way too many syllables. Dub I'd love to see the pilots concept..the sketch looked interesting. Also think it should be one you consider for your presentation.

I still believe the name will end up Angels if it is indeed changed. It wouldn't surprise me if they went with black and gold. I'm not a huge fan of that Idea but if they do I think they should take a page out of purdue's uni book.

The pilot sketch/concept could be cool in B&G and we could make the logo huge at mid court similar to purdue's train.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PurdueColor.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	3972

Dub, I'd like to hear your thoughts/see your ideas, positive or negative.
    Last edited by ATR22; 06-14-2012 at 09:48 PM.

Krewe was solid, but I felt Carnival was a better name for Mardi Gras.

Voodoo is my favorite. I would also be happy with Krewe or Dukes. Even Hurricanes.

Do not like Bounce, Spirit, etc.

And how about some baseball retreads...Angels, Royals, Cardinals (not the bird though), Royals, Pirates...or Pelicans. All have drawbacks. I'm not put off by the Lafitte images for Pirates...just take a look at UNO's logo...it works.

Not a fan of Knights, just not NOLA enough for me. And I don't like Pilots or Navigators...both are more well known as aviation terms.
    Last edited by FlySaint; 06-14-2012 at 11:22 PM.

The Franchise
    So for the right to see Bigdubs design when is the Royal Rumble? I would like to come out last.
    Follow me on Twitter - www.twitter.com/ryinthehottub

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    There's never going to be a perfect balance. Krewe of New Orleans gets shot down either cuz locals don't like the Mardi Gras ties (for some silly reason the main thing tied to the city people want to distance ourselves from it) or cuz people out of town will have to have why krewe is spelled the way it is.

And having to explain your nickname is a bad thing. Like people know exactly what a Knickerbocker or Celtic is.
    I think that's a terrible reason not to like Krewe. Krewe is my 2nd favorite name.

June 15: Big Easy Big Shots
    June 14: New Orleans Frenchmen
    June 13: New Orleans Marquis
    June 12: Louisiana Boucherie
    June 11: New Orleans Jacksons (Jax)
    June 10: New Orleans Cathedrals
    June 9: New Orleans Bon Temps
    June 8: New Orleans Resilience
    June 7: New Orleans Defenders
    June 6: New Orleans Sportsmen
    June 5: New Orleans Governors
    June 4: New Orleans Trumpters
    June 3: New Orleans Maskers
    June 2: New Orleans Misfits
    June 1: New Orleans Desire

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post

Kickerbockers are those funny looking `paperboy' pants from waaay back. Celtics are a hard to describe even for experts.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    new name for the day begins with the letter O and will be the New Orleans Orpheum...
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    new name for the day begins with the letter O and will be the New Orleans Orpheum...
    That's a great name.

Also, you need four more letters!

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    That's a great name.

Also, you need four more letters!
    you have no Earthly idea how much I would like to say that I know what you mean...

The first part means: New Orleans Orpheum is a great name.

The second part means: You'll get to 26 names . . . I'll get to 30. Shoulda picked Cyrillic, comrade!

you will have every right to claim this as a "win" then...I have no intention of continuing this until a name is actually chosen, but I wouldn't be shocked if you did...

Hmmm . . . baiting me . . . you know I'm a stubborn prick, so I clearly can not choose the wine in front of you. But, you must also know that I mind my time and measure costs, and this being costly means I clearly can not choose the wine in front of me.

Hall of Famer
    How about the New Orleans Bourgeoisie? French connection's there, plus we can shorten it to the NOLA Booze!

I kid, I kid.

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    You could do Navigators, then shorten it to 'Gators

I like your posts. Royals would be classy and if they can pull off purple, green and gold then that's a big winner. It is classy and unfortuately some Hornets fan don't believe in having a classy nickname. I also like Gators in addition to Krewe, Crescents, Brass and Pelicans.

Last edited by WhoDatChristian; 06-15-2012 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdub81 View Post
    I wouldn't be against the Knights so much if the name and meaning held just a bit more relevance to our city. I've heard all the arguments to justify the name but it's just not enough to swing the vote from me. If it did come down to that being the name though, I wouldn't shun it. I'm like many who would support the team just because it's ours!

I think it would suck to lose the VooDoo in that fashion because I like the team and however much them being here financially contributes to our local economy. But if it were truly out of their hands because of league problems and we could get the name back then I'm all for it. I think it would be an option along the lines if Jazz was sitting out there and we didn't take it leaving people scratching their heads!

If they AFL were to resurrect themselves yet again, then I'd like to see a team, if we would have another here, updated into a re-imaging of the Breakers. I think we can lay a percentage claim even though the brand neither originated, or folded here. The only opposition I could see would be from cities that hosted the team that might want to buy in if they didn't have a team already! Just a thought!

Oh yeah....

ryan2709 / Xist2inspire / Purple Haze / Panic Hoops / Trell....must fight in a Royal Rumble....winner get's to see everything!
    Anyway I can get in on that?? Ive been asking for months!! lol

42, you are giving your opinion of names and I'm giving mine. I didn't address you or anyone else and everyone that has supported a certain name. If you feel like I'm personally calling you out, perhaps that's your own conscience speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    Want to take shots? Do it openly. That means address the person you are taking at shot at. At least one of them, and discuss it intelligently.

I'm patient enough to wait for that to be a possibilty if the shot is meant for at least me.

Do unto others... so i'm supposed to say things like, "I want a good name, but some posters can't read it." Nah. I already said that outright. Been doing unto you, hukdonfonix.

TO ALL.. How about we just change the name to BEES, get black and gold and call it a day

Wasn't Royals already ruled out?

Voodoo - not my favorite name, does have a minor league sound to it, but then again, a lot of names sound minor league.

Today's offerings:

New Orleans Catholics
    New Orleans Baptists
    New Orleans Mormons
    New Orleans Lutherans
    New Orleans Protestants
    New Orleans Tribe
    New Orleans Jewish Guys
    New Orleans Gospels
    New Orleans Balloncestos
    New Orleans Louisiana
    New Orleans Gulf Coast Pride