Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The rebrand and name change thread part 3

If the word "Hurricane" is too sensitive, how about this uniform concept and design with the name "New Orleans Gales" (not to be confused with the Iona Gaels or Gayle Benson!)?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gales.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	3733

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Schnickelfritz1 View Post
    The "Saints" name is grandfathered in
    Of course it's "grandfathered in": it's part of our culture now and I don't have a problem with that. But I asked to put the tradition behind and really examine that name...I was trying to make a point to you and others that are discarding names because they may be "dull", "generic", and "boring".

The name Saints of course ties into the religious (mainly Catholic) culture around here, but it's not some overly obvious, purely NOLA term that some of the fans on here say they must have and it's certainly not some super exciting, kick (A) nickname. And apparently (correct if wrong) some of the posters on here say the main reason the football team was named Saints is because the team was officially born on All Saints Day moreso than any specific cultural connection. Regardless, it is now both a locally and nationally popular brand that no one questions.

And as some other posters pointed out that I never really thought about, there are many strange, unexciting mascots around sports, but most of them are very respected brands; how goofy the names sound are a mere afterthought and really not thought about at all. Admittedly I've been a poster that doesn't want kiddy, amateurish, lame-ish mascot names like Crawfish or Pelicans, but as I've seen with some of the suggested designs and current sports mascots, just about anything can be pulled off with an appropriate logo, color scheme, and branding, so I am more open.

I forgot what other names you called dull, but my personal favorite Knights was one of them. It doesn't get more dull than Saints, yet it has become a respected brand here, so names like that could work...

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Saints refers to a very specific piece of New Orleans culture: perhaps our greatest jazz song. What is krewe? Krewe is a generic name for a group of people in a Mardi Gras parade. Krewe is way, way more generic. "Krewe of Popeyes" is something not so unexpected.... Krewe is corporate generic New Orleans, in my opinion.

If you want to use "Saints" as inspiration, think of other true-to-New Orleans SONGS that could conceivably be fodder for names. I know, this will be hard for most of you, since you are under the age of 25 and you are regrettably from the suburbs. Artists whose songs should be pored over: Fats Domino, Louis Armstrong, Allen Toussaint, Dr. John, etc. etc. etc.

By the way I still like the Big Shots!! (dr john big shot song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf7i9EEdLao)
    Zulu Big Shot: http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&c...9,r:0,s:0,i:75
    Big Shots? Really? Think about how silly that name would sound - the New Orleans Big Shots ?????

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Pelicans has grown on me somewhat.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ponchy Hornet View Post
    If the word "Hurricane" is too sensitive, how about this uniform concept and design with the name "New Orleans Gales" (not to be confused with the Iona Gaels or Gayle Benson!)?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gales.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	3733
    New Orleans Storm

Any chance we'll see some recent Pelican mocks, bigdub?
    I once had some of the worst grits and drippings in the Queen City

http://www.nola.com/opinions/index.s...l_and_spi.html

This was printed in today's Times Picayune, and I love the idea: the New Orleans Dominoes. The local connection is with Fats Domino, but the word derives from "dominate." Great double meaning.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Now that's the kind of creative/outside the box stuff I like to see. I'm not a huge fan of it but I appreciate it more than Knights or Angels or Nutria.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

Dominos may sound more like a minor-league baseball team than any other nickname mentioned... including Pelicans.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Horn-et View Post
    Dominos may sound more like a minor-league baseball team than any other nickname mentioned... including Pelicans.
    What does that mean, exactly? The difference between a "minor league" player and a "major league" player is talent and/or experience. But what's the difference between a minor league and major league nickname? Familiarity? If that's it, then it's not a very good argument, because the familiar can be either good or bad. I just don't get the logic.

I'm digging the Dominos name! Very outside the box and it rolls off the tongue.

already have a new orleans dominos team

I like Dominos. Use dice and a basketball and the logo is set.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

If I woke up tomorrow and the team was named New Orleans Dominos, I would be cool with it.

Still, too many X-Men references. Archangel, Corsair, Domino......

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    If I woke up tomorrow and the team was named New Orleans Dominos, I would be cool with it.

Still, too many X-Men references. Archangel, Corsair, Domino......
    How about New Orleans Mutants?
    Old fan. Tired fan. I want to believe.

I'm thinking Revelers has a good chance going the distance.

This is just me talking, no scoop here. People here and at hornets247 have nentioned it. It's got most of what most people want... something not too many names have.

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    I'm thinking Revelers has a good chance going the distance.

This is just me talking, no scoop here. People here and at hornets247 have nentioned it. It's got most of what most people want... something not too many names have.
    It also sounds like a Mardi Gras dance team... sort of like the Gold Dusters.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster View Post
    Now that's the kind of creative/outside the box stuff I like to see. I'm not a huge fan of it but I appreciate it more than Knights or Angels or Nutria.
    Dominos is terrible. It would be laughable to name the team after one man (i.e. Bobcats).

"High Rollers"

connects with the Gambling in New Orleans............

[sarcasm]

@DatPurpleHornet

How about the New Orleans Domino...no "s".

Oh and not a dominos (game) theme.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xulapaul View Post
    http://www.nola.com/opinions/index.s...l_and_spi.html

This was printed in today's Times Picayune, and I love the idea: the New Orleans Dominoes. The local connection is with Fats Domino, but the word derives from "dominate." Great double meaning.
    I kind of love this. I feel like the unis would be too plain, though.
    Wherehappens.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Sticking with Pelicans.

Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN View Post
    Dominos is terrible. It would be laughable to name the team after one man (i.e. Bobcats).
    Its worked with the Ravens.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN View Post
    Like I said: I'm not a fan of it but I appreciate the creativity. Honestly I think the ideal name could come from someone thinking outside of the box like that. Something no one has really come up with yet.

My Logo Idea with the Knights name

What yall think
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NO Knights.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	3757  

Thread Information