Pelicans Report

Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast

Thread: The rebrand and name change thread part 3

The Artist    Contributor   
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster View Post
    Yes, YES, Mardi Gras colors! Although Jean Lafitte sorta looking like Ron Jeremy, there~ Although I see the portrait you're using as the source. Maybe go with that frontal painting where his hat is sort of angled over his brow.
    The colors are actually light blue, navy, dark teal and a two tone gold. But hey...if it's Mardi Gras colors to you, who am I to argue! And I never thought that Jean resembled Ron, interesting, but I just googled his name, found the best version of the most common pic and went from there. I will admit that I think I made him look a bit more suave than the pic I actually took it from. I was trying to use his likeness, but not use it if that makes sense! It was hard enough trying to shake the image of Yeul Brenner out of my head from that movie he portrayed him in!

Here is the image I created my design from

Here is my version of the Crescents logo that Ed McVey submitted for the 'ESPN fans, re-design the Hornets' contest. Since it's a re-imagining of his original work, I have to give him credit for the initial design. The typestyle however is completely of my own creation.

Here is the original by Ed McVey

Last edited by bigdub81; 06-07-2012 at 02:32 AM.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Nice!
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

I still like Dukes best.

==
    Instead of using Jean Lafitte, use a likeness of Pistol Pete. Two birds kind of thing.

The more I think about it, the more I like Krewe with purple, gold and just a tad of green. As long as New Orleans is on the jersey and not the nickname, I think we would have a winner.

And no designs on the jersey. Keep it simple with just NEW ORLEANS.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    That re-design of the Crecents is really cool, dub. I kind of wish you had done that Pilots sketch justice, that looks really cool
    Wherehappens.

Hall of Famer
    That Crescents design has to be used as a secondary logo for another name, it's just too sweet.

The Artist    Contributor   
    That re-design of the Crecents is really cool, dub. I kind of wish you had done that Pilots sketch justice, that looks really cool
    I can still do the Pilots concept. I just wanted the person that requested it to know that I did sketch something but just never got around to fleshing it out. The hardest part is always settling for the right sketch and going from there.

That Crescents design has to be used as a secondary logo for another name, it's just too sweet.
    I'll tell you what, I had a concept in mind damn near identical to McVey's idea. When the name first came up in our previous threads, I knew exactly where I wanted to go with it so I just did a rough sketch and never hashed it out because I started working on designs for other names. I can find my sketch book and the sketch I did should still be in there.

When I first saw his rendition of it I was like "Wow!". Since he rightfully beat me to it, I wouldn't take full credit for the new look of it, except for the type style since it's all mine, if anybody wanted to use it in some way. I'd take credit for the update and he'd get the credit for the idea. Kind of like an artists agreement!

The more I think about it, the more I like Krewe with purple, gold and just a tad of green. As long as New Orleans is on the jersey and not the nickname, I think we would have a winner.

And no designs on the jersey. Keep it simple with just NEW ORLEANS.
    In regards to my Pelicans concept, I would have to make my Krewe concept my second favorite, more like an '1A' type of favorite. I went back and tweaked a few things, mainly the colors, but there was room for some improvement and since it was my first baby posted here, I know that I did it justice the second time around.
    Last edited by bigdub81; 06-07-2012 at 10:18 AM.

My favorite is still the Breakers concept. Especially the colors, so simple, yet so effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
    My favorite is still the Breakers concept. Especially the colors, so simple, yet so effective.
    That concept was pretty cool, especially the unis.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by bigdub81 View Post
    The colors are actually light blue, navy, dark teal and a two tone gold. But hey...if it's Mardi Gras colors to you, who am I to argue! And I never thought that Jean resembled Ron, interesting, but I just googled his name, found the best version of the most common pic and went from there. I will admit that I think I made him look a bit more suave than the pic I actually took it from. I was trying to use his likeness, but not use it if that makes sense! It was hard enough trying to shake the image of Yeul Brenner out of my head from that movie he portrayed him in!

Here is the image I created my design from

Here is my version of the Crescents logo that Ed McVey submitted for the 'ESPN fans, re-design the Hornets' contest. Since it's a re-imagining of his original work, I have to give him credit for the initial design. The typestyle however is completely of my own creation.

Here is the original by Ed McVey

I'm not trilled about the team being named the "Crescents", but no matter what we choice having that logo and the new color scheme is outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdub81 View Post
    Beautiful, I've always been a fan of the crescents name and had in mind a logo looking almost just like this minus the basketball pattern in the crescent. The colors are especially spectacular! mild colors are common in the NBA for a good reason. Would like to see some jerseys and a secondary logo for this.

FANTASTIC JOB BIGDUB!

bigdub..how about a new orleans surge uniform..show us how awesome that would be! I've got the urge to surge!!! (we could also sign serge ibaka as our mascot)

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    the color concept and the font you propose are spot on, Dub!
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Question from a non-local: what is a muffaletta?
    Old fan. Tired fan. I want to believe.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet Hysteria View Post
    an awesome sandwich made with italian meats (salami, capicola, pepperoni etc...), cheese, and an olive salad, all served on some delicious bread

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FJ_Muffaletta1.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	3924
    Best picture I could find. In fact, put New Orleans infront of it and we've got a logo

Dammit..now i want a muffaletta!

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Exhausted all good ideas, I see. A damn sandwich...

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBall Reasons View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FJ_Muffaletta1.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	3924
    Best picture I could find. In fact, put New Orleans infront of it and we've got a logo
    *drooling* *wiping lips* ......WANT!!

Quote Originally Posted by greenwald2004 View Post
    Dammit..now i want a muffaletta!
    It won't be authentic, but I'm going to get them to make me one at Subway.

*Insert Eman rant about cuisine*

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Exhausted all good ideas, I see. A damn sandwich...
    Exactly....

I love the overall design BigDub made for the Crescents....but I'm still not feeling the name. Every time I say it that Pillsbury doughboy commercial for crescents pops in my head. I don't know why, but it does. A lot of these names just don't roll off the tounge easily....Hornets doesn't really mesh with what the city is about but at least it rolls of the tounge easily.
    Last edited by Miss_318; 06-08-2012 at 03:47 PM.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Won't have olive salad, kind of makes the whole thing work.

Thread Information